Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
This is why you always carry a bottle of pink champagne when going on a road trip. It's like trucker kryptonite.

Edit: Jesus Christ, what a loving way to start a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DoctorWhat posted:

A trucker once drove into the phone booth I was using to call for help after terrorizing me on the road for hours after I cut him off. Eventually I had to lure him into driving off a cliff.

Next time replace the radiator hose.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

duz posted:

The point is that it falls under the minimum video length to require paying guild minimum wage. Doesn't matter that it would've been a normal half hour show if you hadn't stuck credits in every ad break. Plus most of their scripts were written for tv format and they spent as little time as possible making them fit the quibi format.

Lol ofc the silicon valley venture hinges entirely on minimizing labor wages

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

A trucker once drove into the phone booth I was using to call for help after terrorizing me on the road for hours after I cut him off. Eventually I had to lure him into driving off a cliff.

Wild how often that happens. Buddy of mine once had a truck drive into the phone booth she was using, though fortunately she had just finished her call.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sir Kodiak posted:

Wild how often that happens. Buddy of mine once had a truck drive into the phone booth she was using, though fortunately she had just finished her call.

She killed a bunch of cops

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Dude looks like he could only take 2 days of COVID before his chest bursts Alien-style, so smart rethink.

Let's be honest tho, the mask policy gets erased as soon as people leave the concession stand.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Let's be honest tho, the mask policy gets erased as soon as people enter the building.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

...she single?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Man that sentence has a different energy in TYOOL2020.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*watches Matrix 4*

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Man that sentence has a different energy in TYOOL2022.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
In a similar vein someone on this forum once posited that 9/11 and the resulting military/cop worship had the effect of taking the teeth out of the Matrix sequels. The Matrix had this whole thing about the machines being "The Man" and guys like the Cops who worked for them being willing slaves worthy of derision. The Agents were even expressly meant to resemble the Government. And the misery of Capitalist wage slavery is presented as an integral aspect of what makes the Matrix simulation a prison. Then Rebooted and Revolutions come out and killing cops is verboten, and instead of being coded as Capitalism/The Government the bad guys are fantastical.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean school shooters did that to matrix 1

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alan Smithee posted:

It turned out the solution to school shooters was to cancel schools

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

galagazombie posted:

In a similar vein someone on this forum once posited that 9/11 and the resulting military/cop worship had the effect of taking the teeth out of the Matrix sequels. The Matrix had this whole thing about the machines being "The Man" and guys like the Cops who worked for them being willing slaves worthy of derision. The Agents were even expressly meant to resemble the Government. And the misery of Capitalist wage slavery is presented as an integral aspect of what makes the Matrix simulation a prison. Then Rebooted and Revolutions come out and killing cops is verboten, and instead of being coded as Capitalism/The Government the bad guys are fantastical.

Not sure if this happens, largely because the threat escalation in the sequels means human cops can't do poo poo, really.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was thinking about Cameron's choice of making T1000 a cop and how much of it was "cops are generally considered helpful and trustworthy so this is the perfect form to take to fool people" and how much "aren't cops loving scary monsters?"
I guess stumbling on this maybe implies more the latter

quote:

“Cops think of all noncops as less than they are: stupid, weak, and evil,” he observed years later on the movie’s DVD commentary.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Youtube just pushed an ad for Christopher Nolan's Tenet onto me.

It seems a bit... not very interesting? Admittedly i'm someone who didnt care for Inception either and it seems to be covering the same ground.

Loved Dunkirk with all my heart though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I was thinking about Cameron's choice of making T1000 a cop and how much of it was "cops are generally considered helpful and trustworthy so this is the perfect form to take to fool people" and how much "aren't cops loving scary monsters?"
I guess stumbling on this maybe implies more the latter

Also Blade, where cops are agents of the literal vampires who rule society and give immunity to the police in return for them literally bleeding the public.

Alan Smithee posted:

Brian Raftery's book "Best.Movie.Year.Ever" about the movies that came out in 1999 and how it was a major turning point for cinema talks a lot about how school shootings changed not only action movies and how they were perceived, but also the genre of teen/high school movies as well.

He also talks about how Keanu Reeves made some studio people nervous about The Matrix because they thought it was going to be Johnny Mnemonic 2.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hollywood make Johnny mnemonic 2

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

galagazombie posted:

I remember reading a few pearl clutching posts decrying the slaughter of the armed and armoured SWAT team that guards a military building who were just doing their jobs. Not that many, but more than one, which is too many

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Joel Schumaker died. He was 80.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Poor Joel seemed to spend his last years apologizing for his last movies

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hopefully he was able to at least absorb some of the reappraisal of his camp.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
So what’s the story with You Should Have Left, because the House of Leaves influence is so blatant I’m starting to wonder if it started life as an adapted screenplay.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pirate Jet posted:

So what’s the story with You Should Have Left, because the House of Leaves influence is so blatant I’m starting to wonder if it started life as an adapted screenplay.

I think it's like a Slender Man meme -> The Tall Man situation where it was unrelated from the beginning but they intentionally went very close.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I think it's like a Slender Man meme -> The Tall Man situation where it was unrelated from the beginning but they intentionally went very close.

Yeah, the author didn’t seem to be aware. https://twitter.com/markdanielewski/status/1272940289653534721

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Panic Room

But it wasn't a man and she wasn't technically measuring, more like eyeballing it.
:goonsay:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Why?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Grandma needs movies too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

Grandma needs movies too.

Grandma will be dead from COVID by the time it comes out

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Are we going to reach a point where there's no new entertainment for a little while because of the pandemic related production showdowns?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Probably. There will still be new stuff coming out, whether it's content that was in the can but needed post work, or new acquisitions of content that's been seeking distribution for a while, or garbage that can be churned out with a quick turnaround time as soon as productions are able to start up again. So while there won't be no new entertainment, I'd image that we'll all be feeling it to some degree or another. There will be a quality drop with what's out there and the pace at which new stuff comes is going to be much slower than we're used to.

Depending on how long productions remain shut down for, I can see Hollywood creating more panel shows ala the UK, more shows about people reacting to other content, more reality shows that are basically YouTube content, etc. Maybe we'll get a few more things like the Snyder Cut which wouldn't have been greenlit if not for the pandemic where effects artist are just waiting for something to do. Probably an increase in animated shows and movies due to their workflows already having adapted, too.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 23, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pirate Jet posted:

I've rarely been so distracted by how ugly a movie's backdrop is. God drat. Those bare brick walls and plywood panels. It's a relief when the house goes all leaky mouldy basement.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

Probably. There will still be new stuff coming out, whether it's content that was in the can but needed post work, or new acquisitions of content that's been seeking distribution for a while, or garbage that can be churned out with a quick turnaround time as soon as productions are able to start up again. So while there won't be no new entertainment, I'd image that we'll all be feeling it to some degree or another. There will be a quality drop with what's out there and the pace at which new stuff comes is going to be much slower than we're used to.

Depending on how long productions remain shut down for, I can see Hollywood creating more panel shows ala the UK, more shows about people reacting to other content, more reality shows that are basically YouTube content, etc. Maybe we'll get a few more things like the Snyder Cut which wouldn't have been greenlit if not for the pandemic where effects artist are just waiting for something to do. Probably an increase in animated shows and movies due to their workflows already having adapted, too.

I'll be honest, I'm surprised that the US networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, or Fox haven't been airing shows from the UK or Australia. It's poo poo that's already in the can, we have no issues remaking them, and if they really are that hard up, could always be overdubbed ( :barf: )

I'm sure that's going to be in the pike somewhere down the line, after they run out of everything else. Weirdly the CW has been running Bulletproof which I think is from the UK, but they started that last summer, so it only half counts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If anything is going to finally get Wellington Paranormal on the air in the US, it's this.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think more people associate "bigger on the inside" with Doctor Who than that book.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The MSJ posted:

I think more people associate "bigger on the inside" with Doctor Who than that book.

The author is singling out that scene but there’s a lot going on, both properties are focused on a man with a wife and kids with a weird house that does creepy things (including that specific one) that acts as more of an excuse to explore his relationship with his family. I guess we’ll really know if in the movie, he finds a door that logically should lead outside but doesn’t exist on the siding.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Are we going to reach a point where there's no new entertainment for a little while because of the pandemic related production showdowns?

it's all going to be awful zoom mosaics all the way down. actors doing zoom reunions long thought impossible because they're bored, but the reunion is stilted and terrible and nobody looks good because nobody knows how to light a shot and Alec Baldwin is using a USB mic from Guitar Hero World Tour or something

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Because God is dead and everything is permitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pirate Jet posted:

The author is singling out that scene but there’s a lot going on, both properties are focused on a man with a wife and kids with a weird house that does creepy things (including that specific one) that acts as more of an excuse to explore his relationship with his family. I guess we’ll really know if in the movie, he finds a door that logically should lead outside but doesn’t exist on the siding.

What if that scene was in the actual source novel?