Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CommonShore posted:

That's basically what happened every time I saw it recently - either the fighter on the bottom flowed through to a dogfight-ish single, or stood up.

Thinking about the position: It's almost like a judo throw really. You need the 3 elements together and have a coordinate a series of movements in one flowing attack. Versus the more isometric crawl and creep of many bjj positions.

(Not that judo has a monopoly on that but it's very codified/systematic.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 10, 2022

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

Fast-foward to now, when the gym is opening on Monday, and now there's going to be a rate increase for all members to $160 dollarydoos.

Including members such as yourself who were grandfathered in to the old rate, and including members who weren't locked in, but were specifically promised a rate freeze due to this? If so, that seems hosed and double hosed.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

if they treat you like a customer treat them like a business

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

My think is man I wish my gym was only $160/mo.

Also man I wish I was feasibly going to train this calendar year.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yep if I had other options I'd walk for sure. That's a pretty big gently caress you. lovely thing is he treated the business like family and supported them when they needed it.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

butros posted:

Also man I wish I was feasibly going to train this calendar year.

And this :(

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Drewjitsu posted:

Quick :airquote:hypothetical:airquote: question for the thread:

I have signed up a member to Gym X (a million years ago, I'm old :negative:). One of the nice things that they do, is that if you sign a contact (initially it was a year, but then after that it's just month to month, with a month notice to cancel the contract), you continue to pay the same rate for as long as you stay with the Gym X. I'm an OG so I pay 90 dollarydoos a month for this.

Furthermore, during the plague season, they sent out an email pleading all members to continue supporting the gym, and all members who do so will be given some freebies, t-shirt, seminar access in the future, and a SPECIAL RATE FREEZE for memberships (value TBA) when the gym reopens. They did the same thing that every other gym did by having zoom workouts and the like during the COVID closure, so it's not like they just straight up took people's money. But I digress.

Fast-foward to now, when the gym is opening on Monday, and now there's going to be a rate increase for all members to $160 dollarydoos.

Aside from the "gym owners can charge whatever they want, blah blah blah," what do you guys think? I'm basically out the door with this gym anyway, but it would be good to get other people's input on this business decision. My understanding is that this price is 30-40 dollars more than most gyms charge in town.

Are any of you seeing increased fees to offset the lowered numbers of members they can put into a single class?

They might be doing it to survive or recoup personal savings they dumped to pay rent?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

They might be doing it to survive or recoup personal savings they dumped to pay rent?

landlords should try this and call the apartment complex a family or community or whatever as pretext so we can speed up the mao zedonging

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

instead I've seen unemployed two stripe white belts proudly paying their $230/mo for biweekly yoga classes on zoom so ~we have a home to come back to~

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

oss

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
$160 CAD (assuming it's cad) doesn't seem totally crazy depending on where in the country you are

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Wangsbig posted:

instead I've seen unemployed two stripe white belts proudly paying their $230/mo for biweekly yoga classes on zoom so ~we have a home to come back to~

Finally making themselves useful

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 10, 2022

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Wangsbig posted:

I paid for the year in November fml. I do want them to be there when I get back, the location is really really convenient and I hate the second closest gym.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If it were a situation where the place needed money to restabilize after Covid, (and shark tanking the landlord is out of the question), I'd much rather see a drive for donations or selling Tshirts than a rate hike.

Like if my head instructor were to come up to my tomorrow and say "Commonshore, we're short on cash. Can you donate $100 to the club so we can keep the lights on?" I'd say yes.

(He'd probably actually do something like smoke some brisket and sell it to raise the funds)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Wonder if insurance is getting jacked for clubs, seems like there'd be increased liability

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think in no-gi and MMA, imagine deep half as an obscure move instead of a position, one that you would only use in particularly rare circumstances, and you’d want to be out of it in two seconds. You’d practice it as part of your half guard just as an occasional troubleshooting tool when your half guard sweeps get shut down. And it’d either turn into a single leg or you’d do that move where you do a turkish getup underneath them and then shoulder throw them.

In gi you can take it more seriously as a position because it becomes dangerous when lapels are involved.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't want to google "communist superhero with huge dick" not sure what will come up.

coward

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

From the TUF season where GSP was the coach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uhuSimf-A

Drewjitsu posted:

Quick :airquote:hypothetical:airquote: question for the thread:

I have signed up a member to Gym X (a million years ago, I'm old :negative:). One of the nice things that they do, is that if you sign a contact (initially it was a year, but then after that it's just month to month, with a month notice to cancel the contract), you continue to pay the same rate for as long as you stay with the Gym X. I'm an OG so I pay 90 dollarydoos a month for this.

Furthermore, during the plague season, they sent out an email pleading all members to continue supporting the gym, and all members who do so will be given some freebies, t-shirt, seminar access in the future, and a SPECIAL RATE FREEZE for memberships (value TBA) when the gym reopens. They did the same thing that every other gym did by having zoom workouts and the like during the COVID closure, so it's not like they just straight up took people's money. But I digress.

Aside from the "gym owners can charge whatever they want, blah blah blah," what do you guys think? I'm basically out the door with this gym anyway, but it would be good to get other people's input on this business decision. My understanding is that this price is 30-40 dollars more than most gyms charge in town.

Are any of you seeing increased fees to offset the lowered numbers of members they can put into a single class?

I'd just find another gym. That's nearly doubling your rate despite you being grandfathered in.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 13, 2020

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

$160 is about what I've paid for every gym I've been a member.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Cases spiking locally, looks like that August return I'd planned might be later than expected. Silver lining I guess is I have more time to work on my strength and conditioning and surprise dudes who remember me as the fat gringo.

"Hey, look at him, he's merely a chubby gringo now!"

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Ryan Hall shows an overhead Shaolin Sweep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlu_sc2AzVg

Definitely unfamiliar territory for me but a good Idea. I don't really know what to do with knee shields besides scissor sweep and transition to triangle.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pocket Billiards posted:

Might be able to find some wrestling instructions on the 'short' arm drag.

I forgot to say thanks to the people who responded. We drilled the short arm drag yesterday and it seems promising, though I have yet to try it in rolling.

Now for another question.

I've been getting good at tripod-sickle sweeps paired together. I basically just grab a foot then switch my feet and hips back and forth, spamming them both. I'll sometimes grab uke's other leg to switch the side of my attacks. Works pretty well.

I run into a couple problems though. They all come up when I put my foot on uke's hip. Obviously people don't like this and strip it away ASAP. I'll switch my hips and try again with my other foot. I do this quickly to maintain distance. I'm vulnerable to leg drags here: as I swing my other foot up to uke's hip, he'll just move his hips back and push the foot along, closing the distance after. One guy goes straight for a standing toe hold.

I suspect what I need to do is control one of Uke's arms, though this is easier said than done.

Looking for any tips on this position. Either ways to avoid these counters, re-counter, or to set up something else I can transition to.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
How's your SLX game?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Looking for any tips on this position. Either ways to avoid these counters, re-counter, or to set up something else I can transition to.

Single leg X, Reverse De La Riva, sit up guard. All decent transitions.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My single leg x game is poor, though I'm fairly fast at transitioning into it. If I can get the sweep I have a passable ankle lock from it.

RDLR seems like an odd suggestion. I was expecting people to say regular DLR instead. What makes you suggest RDLR?

My situp guard is also poor, but a couple of the higher belts use it on me constantly.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Count Roland posted:

RDLR seems like an odd suggestion. I was expecting people to say regular DLR instead. What makes you suggest RDLR?

You're already holding the ankle/leg with your feet on the hips or one foot on the hip and end up with another leg stuffed or dragged right? It's fairly easy to bring yourself in and under your partner from there.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Seriously, when can we get back to grappling in the UK?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Queensland is open to grappling again on July 10 if I’m understanding correctly.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Queensland is open to grappling again on July 10 if I’m understanding correctly.

Hey silly problem I had with your site. I put in an order for a SAGK rashguard but havent received it yet. Must be the postal problems plaguing the world. (:glomp:)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

:woop:

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Trained for the first time in 3 months. Rustier than I thought I would be, timing was off and although I was strong and game the first few rounds of rolling I totally gassed towards the end and was worthless.

Now with cases rising idk if poo poo is going to shut back down again. Felt good to roll tho. Nice to have gi burn all over my face again.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I keep finding myself in 50/50 guard and am really struggling to get out of it without giving up position :smith:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mekchu posted:

I keep finding myself in 50/50 guard and am really struggling to get out of it without giving up position :smith:

What do you keep getting caught in? Are you comfortable with 50/50 in principle? Are you fighting to get your knees to the mat to expose your opponents inside heel?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So, I can invert now, kinda. I can roll back and have my feet touch the ground behind me. I still am not rolling any time soon, and I don't know how to weaponize this position, but I can get there now, which is cool. I've been doing yoga during quarantine and I've lost a ton of weight so my belly isn't in the way as much anymore.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Apparently Ryan Hall has been putting out videos on Youtube. Why hasn't anyone told me?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JaySB posted:

Apparently Ryan Hall has been putting out videos on Youtube. Why hasn't anyone told me?

We did - when this video was posted on this same page :D

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I always saw these channels as a gateway to subscribing to their online course. Still good information though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drewjitsu posted:

What do you keep getting caught in? Are you comfortable with 50/50 in principle? Are you fighting to get your knees to the mat to expose your opponents inside heel?

Basically I wind up in it while working SLX or an Ankle lock and use it to trap their leg. I'm not very confident in saying I understand the core principle of it. I'm typically the guy on bottom to a standing opponent and get it that way, force them to their but/ground and thats where I get stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I always saw these channels as a gateway to subscribing to their online course. Still good information though.

They totally are. Though my triangles are good because of a section of Ryan Hall's triangle DVD I saw on youtube.