Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Silento Boborachi posted:

Okay goons, I think my computer has reached the end of its capabilities, if I try playing any of the newer intensive games it's definitely struggling.

If you can deal with it or play other games, waiting a month or two is a great idea. Now is a bad time due to pandemic stock issues.

I assume the graphics card is fine for now, and that my issues are more due to the old cpu/motherboard, should I just bite the bullet and upgrade the graphics card anyway while I am at it?

A 580 is not enough of an upgrade over a 1060 to be worth spending money on. If you are on a limited budget, keep the GPU. If you want to replace the GPU, get at least a 1660 Super or a 5700. But mostly I'd say keep the 1060, it's a good video card. For most games it'll still do high settings at 1080, and for the few that it doesn't it only needs a few minor settings turned down.

Thinking of MikeC's https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3mwZZf build for the upgrade, only keeping the drives from my current setup.

With current prices the 2600 no longer makes sense. The 3600 is only $165 these days, and that's a worthwhile $20 just for zen 2's far better ram compatibility. And the 3300X is a better buy for squeezing every dollar on a budget build, if you can get one.

I'd pick different ram as well, you can get DDR4-3600 for $70-80 these days.

PSUs are insanely expensive. The one in the MikeC budget build is ok if you can get it. But high quality PSUs are now well over $100.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($166.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $536.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-19 22:51 EDT-0400

(Substituted a case that's in stock for the P400A.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Are the super top-end motherboards ever worth it?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Shadowhand00 posted:

Possibly if you're a competitive overclocker. Otherwise no, never.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Shadowhand00 posted:

Unless you are into serious OCing or running enough VMs that you get picked up as a small botnet. Then no, not really.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Setting up Windows on an AMD should come with some sort of public health warning because GOOD LORD. :gonk:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Setting up Windows on an AMD should come with some sort of public health warning because GOOD LORD. :gonk:

Why? Only issue I've had so far is that my motherboard won't recognize my wireless card.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CyberPingu posted:

or running enough VMs that you get picked up as a small botnet

I'm not sure why that would need or get any benefit from a super-high-end mobo. A ordinary 'good' mobo can run a CPU 24/7 with 100% load, and have years of life as long as you have adequate cooling.

If you're building a home 1U server or something and the interior temperature of the box will be in the 50s, then maybe the higher quality capacitors and other components on the super-premium $500 consumer mobo will last longer. But a server motherboard would do the same thing and omit $100 worth of bling.

What exactly was different from installing anywhere else?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Klyith posted:

I'm not sure why that would need or get any benefit from a super-high-end mobo. A ordinary 'good' mobo can run a CPU 24/7 with 100% load, and have years of life as long as you have adequate cooling.

If you're building a home 1U server or something and the interior temperature of the box will be in the 50s, then maybe the higher quality capacitors and other components on the super-premium $500 consumer mobo will last longer. But a server motherboard would do the same thing and omit $100 worth of bling.

What exactly was different from installing anywhere else?

I presumed they were talking about an eatx Mobo. Which has extra RAM capacity

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Klyith, what would be your best indicator that it's fine to start buying parts again?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Klyith, what would be your best indicator that it's fine to start buying parts again?

When this link and this link aren't full of tags that say OUT OF STOCK

e: and preferably the PSUs are below $100 for the smaller 550-650w ones.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 21, 2020

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I've been trying to do this alone but i suspect I might have made some suboptimal choices, but oh well

I've been gradually trying to accumulate performance parts to make my PC run VR well because I really like sim games and a nerd dream of mine was to play VR flight sims and race sims and stuff. I've bought an oculus rift s and my results are still kinda lacking. I was hoping that upgrading ram and GPU was enough but I'm still getting issues with screen tearing and choppy frame rates in games like dirt rally 2 and project cars 2.

This is what I've got so far.

CPU:i5 6500
Motheboard Gigabyte: Gigabyte H170 HD3
RAM: 16gigs of Corsair Vengance DDR4 3200mhz ram
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 5700xt oc
PSU: Corsair RM 650x
HDD: Kingston 120gb SSD for the OS and a 1Tb HDD for general storage

I basically started tinkering with things since I had to replace the PSU due to its age. This system started as a 5 year old prebuilt that I had kicking around. I've replaced the ram - it used to be 8 gigs only, the old GPU was a ASUS strix geforce 970, and really the only thing orignal left is the case, the drives and the CPU/Motherboard. I presume at this point it would be the really old CPU holding me back and I should just get a new motherboard and CPU for the setup? I'm thinking a ryzen 5 2600. Does it matter if I just get a b450 motherboard in this instance, or am I totally barking up the wrong tree?

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 21, 2020

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Why? Only issue I've had so far is that my motherboard won't recognize my wireless card.

To be fair my specific combination of circumstances wouldn't apply to everyone but trying to install from a Windows 7 disc (to then patch to Windows 10 ) doesn't work too well when the build doesnt pick up your USB mouse or keyboard during Win7 installation.

This somewhat explains the problem with the added fun of not having done any of this nonsense for 5 years or so, and no second PC so having to switch old hard drives in and out to access the various poo poo I needed to get things moving. It's done now but there was a lot of "surely it doesn't need to be this loving complicated" before getting there.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 21, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sean10mm posted:

They're still flatly inferior to the X570, so if they stay with X570 pricing everyone should still either buy a B450 for less or an X570 for the same.

No fan makes them superior to X570

To be fair my specific combination of circumstances wouldn't apply to everyone but trying to install from a Windows 7 disc (to then patch to Windows 10 ) doesn't work too well when the build doesnt pick up your USB mouse or keyboard during Win7 installation.

This somewhat explains the problem with the added fun of not having done any of this nonsense for 5 years or so, and no second PC so having to switch old hard drives in and out to access the various poo poo I needed to get things moving. It's done now but there was a lot of "surely it doesn't need to be this loving complicated" before getting there.

This would be very similar on a new Intel machine. Windows 7 is not officially supported. Why would you do this anyway? A Windows 7 key works directly as a Windows 10 one. Nobody should be clean installing Windows 7 to "update" to Windows 10.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 21, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You don't need to touch Windows 7 at all and you don't need any key to have a functioning Windows 10. Just download Windows 10 from Microsoft for free and run it unactivated. It's 100% functional with software updates and everything. You just can't change the wallpaper and a few other things.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

This would be very similar on a new Intel machine. An install of Windows 7 is not supported. Why would you do this anyway? A Windows 7 key works directly as a Windows 10 one. Nobody should be clean installing Windows 7 to "update" to Windows 10.
I have Windows 7 on disc, I didn't have Windows 10 disc.

In the end I had to connect up my old HDD to the new system to get something working so that I could download a Win10 ISO to boot from USB, which just seemed like unnecessary work at the beginning compared to shoving the DVD in and patching up later. I know better now of course.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Klyith posted:

This sounds like it is either temperature throttling or a software / OS issue. I'd check CPU thermals with hwinfo64 first to see how that's doing. Then do an OS reinstall or troubleshooting to see if you fix it without buying a new PC.

Thermals are looking ok While I have my game and browser up:

https://i.imgur.com/Firu0xl.png

Really wish I knew what was using up all of my CPU, the numbers in the resource monitor never add up

https://i.imgur.com/dFxJ7G0.png

I guess I can try a reinstall of windows 10 next but I'm always terrified of those because they wind up causing so many problems/missing files and folders whenever I do that

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Oh so what you meant to say was:

"Man, AMD should include a health warning for anyone trying to install a 12 year old OS that's not supported really anymore"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Should have asked a friend to make you a Win10 USB stick which is trivially easy for any halfway modern computer running Windows (yes it even works on Win7 machines).

And yeah installing Win7 on a modern Intel platform is basically the same.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Umbreon posted:

Thermals are looking ok While I have my game and browser up:

https://i.imgur.com/Firu0xl.png

Really wish I knew what was using up all of my CPU, the numbers in the resource monitor never add up

https://i.imgur.com/dFxJ7G0.png

I guess I can try a reinstall of windows 10 next but I'm always terrified of those because they wind up causing so many problems/missing files and folders whenever I do that

What about the numbers in Task Manager? Do they add up?
Might also want to check the Services section (below your screenshot) in the Resource Monitor, in case there's some service there using CPU time that's not being shown among the processes.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Need suggestions for a new video card.

bus:

PCI Express 3.0

specific requirements:

needs to support dual monitors, either via 2 hdmi outs or 1 hdmi out and 1 dvi out.

'puter is more than 7 years old and I don't intend to replace the mb or cpu any time in the near future, screaming bleeding edge performance is not necessary, just want whatever is the current intersection of price/performance.

tia

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The Voice of Labor posted:

Need suggestions for a new video card.

bus:

PCI Express 3.0

specific requirements:

needs to support dual monitors, either via 2 hdmi outs or 1 hdmi out and 1 dvi out.

'puter is more than 7 years old and I don't intend to replace the mb or cpu any time in the near future, screaming bleeding edge performance is not necessary, just want whatever is the current intersection of price/performance.

tia

Budget?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

let's say under $200

my only reserve on costs is I think I paid about $250 for what's in there now and paying something comparable to replace a 7 year old piece of tech seems super super weird to me, but we live in weird times

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

You might be able to get a 970 for that price on eBay or something.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Voice of Labor posted:

let's say under $200

my only reserve on costs is I think I paid about $250 for what's in there now and paying something comparable to replace a 7 year old piece of tech seems super super weird to me, but we live in weird times

RX 580 - you can get these for like $160 which is real cheap
RX 5500XT - $180 and doesn't perform much better than a RX 580, but are cooler & need less power
1650 Super - $190, only needs a 6-pin power cable if you have an ancient PSU

Actually, when you say "the current intersection of price/performance" does that mean you play games? If you don't play games you likely don't care about the performance of anything more than just a general video card and any of these will work.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I think my 9-year-old 2500k rig might be on it's last legs but with the current parts shortage/pricing should I just break down and buy a pre-built? I'm only aiming at 1080p60 gaming with a budget of under $1000 so I'm looking at this one here:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/624824/powerspec-g163-gaming-computer

I even spec'd out a system with similar hardware on pcpartspicker and it wasn't going to be any cheaper and some of the parts are out of stock.

And I still have a GTX1070 in my current rig so I should be able to move that over right?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

spasticColon posted:

I think my 9-year-old 2500k rig might be on it's last legs but with the current parts shortage/pricing should I just break down and buy a pre-built? I'm only aiming at 1080p60 gaming with a budget of under $1000 so I'm looking at this one here:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/624824/powerspec-g163-gaming-computer

I even spec'd out a system with similar hardware on pcpartspicker and it wasn't going to be any cheaper and some of the parts are out of stock.

And I still have a GTX1070 in my current rig so I should be able to move that over right?

Microcenter's pre-builts (Powerspec) are often pretty decent, that one should do you good. You can even flip the 580 for probably $100-150 since you have the 1070, which will transfer over fine.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

cool, thanks everyone.

any known issues with saphire or with this model?

https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-rad...&quicklink=true

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is there a place I can find some clear benchmarking information for the 7700k?
I’m looking to get something like a 3080ti or even a 2080ti when the price drops. I’m not convinced I’ll need more than 4 Cores + 4 threads for gaming in the next 2-3 years. My goal is to get as much FPS as possible on ultra graphics at 1440p unless there’s a specifically compelling reason to play in 4K.

I have an Asus Rog Swift PG278Q 27” monitor. So whatever let’s me take full advantage of its capabilities is what id like to do.

BigD7976
Feb 24, 2014

by VideoGames
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XqXDHB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($187.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($178.75 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 5700 8 GB STRIX Gaming OC Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1216.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-21 17:30 EDT-0400

I'm using this for gaming, and I have all my peripherals. I fortunately have a microcenter about two miles from me.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
My PC is on its last legs and I fear catastrophic failure soon.

I'm looking for a gaming PC for ~$1600, but I'm willing to go a little higher due to trade war and COVID if needed.

Are there any recommendations for starting points in PCPartPicker or does anyone have a good build to share at this price point?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there a place I can find some clear benchmarking information for the 7700k?
I’m looking to get something like a 3080ti or even a 2080ti when the price drops. I’m not convinced I’ll need more than 4 Cores + 4 threads for gaming in the next 2-3 years. My goal is to get as much FPS as possible on ultra graphics at 1440p unless there’s a specifically compelling reason to play in 4K.

I have an Asus Rog Swift PG278Q 27” monitor. So whatever let’s me take full advantage of its capabilities is what id like to do.

Right now there are many games that take full advantage of >4 cores. The new console generation coming out in the next few months is going to push more demanding titles. Also, with a high refresh monitor like the one you have, you'll want all the extra frames you can get when paired with the likes of a 2080ti.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

comper posted:

Right now there are many games that take full advantage of >4 cores. The new console generation coming out in the next few months is going to push more demanding titles. Also, with a high refresh monitor like the one you have, you'll want all the extra frames you can get when paired with the likes of a 2080ti.

The games that currently demonstrate this are held back by 4 cores CPUs without hyperthreading. 4 core 8 thread CPUs are still fine for all games. The 7700k is good for above 100fps average in most games, and the ones that it can't max out 144 are difficult for any CPU to get 144 in. Check these two reviews, which include a 7700k and show it still doing just fine.

Whether that will change in the near future with new consoles is up in the air, but buying a hardware in advance because maybe the 4c/8t won't be good enough anymore is dumb.

Pairing a 2080ti with a 7700k is a bit unbalanced, but if the idea is big video card now, CPU & system upgrade later, it's defensible. (Though if anyone thinks that non-used 2080tis are gonna have big price drops any time soon, they'll probably be disappointed. That's not how things generally go these days, the OEMs tail off production so they don't have dead stock to firesale.)

Moltke posted:

My PC is on its last legs and I fear catastrophic failure soon.

I'm looking for a gaming PC for ~$1600, but I'm willing to go a little higher due to trade war and COVID if needed.

Are there any recommendations for starting points in PCPartPicker or does anyone have a good build to share at this price point?

Here's something based around the most expensive mikeC sample, but with a cheaper video card.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($271.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($159.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($125.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1422.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-21 19:39 EDT-0400

tl;dr buying a $800+ video card right now is setting yourself up for some major depreciation, since 3000s and Big Navis are coming in the fall or winter.

Progject
Apr 23, 2006

Very ready to move on a RTX 2070 SUPER which will finish off my current build nicely. I've had EVGA cards before and I like them, my EVGA GTX 970 OC has been overclocked since 2014 with no issues.

Looking at their line-up of 2070S cards, I can see the "SUPER KO" is only £499.99 at the moment but the other models go from here all the way up to £600. The EVGA website just has the same specs for them all it seems, so do the more expensive ones just have fancy back plates, RGB and all that?

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Klyith posted:

Pairing a 2080ti with a 7700k is a bit unbalanced, but if the idea is big video card now, CPU & system upgrade later, it's defensible.

Sorry to sorta chime in again but it's tangentially related to me and I'm looking at the goon approval, I presume me and my i5 6500 matched with my now 5700xt is hilariously mismatched and if I'm finding framerate issues I should upgrade the motherboard/CPU setup. would a ryzen 5 3600 be sufficient for VR applications?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Progject posted:

Very ready to move on a RTX 2070 SUPER which will finish off my current build nicely. I've had EVGA cards before and I like them, my EVGA GTX 970 OC has been overclocked since 2014 with no issues.

Looking at their line-up of 2070S cards, I can see the "SUPER KO" is only £499.99 at the moment but the other models go from here all the way up to £600. The EVGA website just has the same specs for them all it seems, so do the more expensive ones just have fancy back plates, RGB and all that?

Yeah more money for additional bling isn't really worth. The 2070 isn't so hot that is needs a mega cooler or special backplate. The "KO" models were a special with nvidia to compete with the 5700 so they're one of the best deals for a 2700 S.

Trambopaline posted:

Sorry to sorta chime in again but it's tangentially related to me and I'm looking at the goon approval, I presume me and my i5 6500 matched with my now 5700xt is hilariously mismatched and if I'm finding framerate issues I should upgrade the motherboard/CPU setup. would a ryzen 5 3600 be sufficient for VR applications?

Yeah a 6500 is 4c4t which will have issues in some games.

A 3600 seems to work fine with VR, other goons in your shoes have done that upgrade and reported ITT that it was much better.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Some Goon posted:

Microcenter's pre-builts (Powerspec) are often pretty decent, that one should do you good. You can even flip the 580 for probably $100-150 since you have the 1070, which will transfer over fine.

That's good. One more question: if I wanted to upgrade the CPU later on to say a 3700X could I do that with a Microcenter pre-built?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Klyith posted:

The games that currently demonstrate this are held back by 4 cores CPUs without hyperthreading. 4 core 8 thread CPUs are still fine for all games. The 7700k is good for above 100fps average in most games, and the ones that it can't max out 144 are difficult for any CPU to get 144 in. Check these two reviews, which include a 7700k and show it still doing just fine.

Whether that will change in the near future with new consoles is up in the air, but buying a hardware in advance because maybe the 4c/8t won't be good enough anymore is dumb.

Pairing a 2080ti with a 7700k is a bit unbalanced, but if the idea is big video card now, CPU & system upgrade later, it's defensible. (Though if anyone thinks that non-used 2080tis are gonna have big price drops any time soon, they'll probably be disappointed. That's not how things generally go these days, the OEMs tail off production so they don't have dead stock to firesale.)

Yeah, generally this. The 7700k remains competent in most titles but won't hold up forever, I had one personally and I can only name one game that really bottlenecked on it: shadow of the tomb raider. Upgrading to a 9900k brought my minimums up about 50% in that game, and pretty much only that game. That is a nearly stock 9900k (unlimited turbo time) vs a 4.5 all core turbo (also unlimited time) on the 7700k. Literally if I cranked it down to CPU benchmark levels to get rid of the GPU bottlenecks (800x600 with no AA) the 9900k straight up doubled the performance and was still waiting on the GTX 1080 occasionally. That game gobbles up threads like mad and does real work with them, but it is currently more the exception than the rule.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

spasticColon posted:

That's good. One more question: if I wanted to upgrade the CPU later on to say a 3700X could I do that with a Microcenter pre-built?

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able too, it's all off-the-shelf components. They don't promise any particular motherboard but it'll probably be cheap but ok. Even the the requirements of a 3700 aren't very high at all.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Bofast posted:

What about the numbers in Task Manager? Do they add up?
Might also want to check the Services section (below your screenshot) in the Resource Monitor, in case there's some service there using CPU time that's not being shown among the processes.

The ones in the task manager fall even more short than the resource monitor ones do:

https://i.imgur.com/LE9F61a.png

(For reference, I have 32GB of RAM)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
What I think was about 6 years ago now I built my current PC because I got a bonus at work, and it was at the time super poo poo-hot. I use it for playing games and light photoshop. Some time last year though, I bought a 4k monitor, and found that I couldn't run Prey at a setting I was happy with, and seems to be the case more and more often. I just got another bonus, and figured maybe it was time to upgrade again, but it's been SO long since I've looked at any hardware stuff, I have no clue what I'm doing. I've been checking out this thread for inspiration, and thought I'd ask what you guys would recommend? Is there a new (single this time apparently!) graphics card I could get that would bring me up to current, or do I need a new processor (and so presumably motherboard) too? I think probably a new SSD as well, because one of them has died, and they're probably a lot bigger these days?

Current specs:

Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz 41 °C
Haswell-E/EP 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Unknown @ 1065MHz (15-15-15-35)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. RAMPAGE V EXTREME (SOCKET 2011) 37 °C
Graphics
Acer XB280HK (3840x2160@60Hz)
BenQ EW2775ZHÔ (1920x1080@60Hz)
XenSource Citrix Indirect Display Adapter (Undefined)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (Palit Microsystems) 55 °C
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (Palit Microsystems) 45 °C
ForceWare version: 445.87
SLI Enabled
Storage
238GB SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series (SATA (SSD)) 33 °C
238GB SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series (SATA (SSD)) 32 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks for any help, fully appreciate that upgrade advice isn't the same as building, apologies if this isn't the right place!