Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Listening to a lot of radio serials, you see how much that style of performance informed the vocal range of the era.

I mean a lot of the vocal range stuff is technological- Golden Age radio broadcasts and early sound recording tended to use carbon mics which cut out a lot of the low frequencies. It's not that people were actually speaking more nasally for the most part (though I imagine vocal training pushed them to pitch a bit higher to remain legible.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My blu rays are organized by how I randomly put them back on the shelf because I don’t care lol

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

My blu rays are organized by how I randomly put them back on the shelf because I don’t care lol

Yeah, back when I was in college I had everything alphabetized because I ran a rental service out of my dorm room. Nowadays, just taking a look at one of my shelves (this one is vertical) ... I have Watchmen above Logan above Independence Day above Heat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had mine ordered alphabetical by title. But then I decided I wanted my kaiju movies together. Then samurai movies together, which I turned into a Japanese movie section. Then I ran out of space and just jumble everything together now.

My video games got the same way. Obviously but console. I had my DS games organized by publisher, then organized alphabetical by series. Again I ran out of space which made it difficult to keep that organization scheme.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Like I've got movies that are in specific series shelved together (if they aren't already in a box set), but yeah beyond that, it's chaos.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My genre sorting is definitely unintentional. When I don't know what I want to watch I usually pull a bunch of stuff that's all in the same vein, so then I put it all back together. Naturally everything just kind of falls into genres because of that, but the ultra-organized in here would be aghast at these messy stacks in my record cabinet.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Like music and books, always organize by vibe.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Why do any of you loving lunatics arrange by anything other than alphabetical order?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
monsters, all of you

e:

CPL593H posted:

Why do any of you loving lunatics arrange by anything other than alphabetical order?

except you

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think colorization was a stopgap between what we consider to be digital restoration. Films that went through colorization had to be stabilized and smoothed out or else it would be impossible to keep colors consistent. For that matter, many of the tools developed for it are the same ones used for early cleanup processes by MTI Film.

For B&W films, though, just having a quality image makes the option of monochrome akin to artwork created with charcoals vs oil paints. Or a musical piece performed with one instrument vs a full band or orchestra.

As for storage, I'm waiting for my local IKEA to get some more BILLY shelves in since I use those.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

As for storage, I'm waiting for my local IKEA to get some more BILLY shelves in since I use those.

I bought a couch from ikea this week and it won’t get here til the 9th, so it might be a while.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
:lol: if you don't have a photographic memory and know exactly where all of your movies are after scattering them randomly across your home.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I bought a couch from ikea this week and it won’t get here til the 9th, so it might be a while.

I actually got a new TV stand (using a BESTA frame plus shelves), but they were out of the glass doors for the front, so I'll get those later.

The actual BIlLY bookcases were in stock, but they were out of additional shelves, plus I'll probably add the extensions at the top while I'm at it.

For organization, I tend to keep labels separated since the consistency looks nice (especially since a big chunk of my library are Criterion and Kino Lorber), with larger box sets and stuff on top for extra room.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

CPL593H posted:

I just go by genre per shelf, and then if there's an output by a filmmaker and studio that I care, I place those first by release order (e.g. Pixar or John Carpenter). And for the remainders, alphabetical order unless I really don't want to bother (Then it's just by "stuff it randomly in the shelf" order).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MachineryNoise posted:

:lol: if you don't have a photographic memory and know exactly where all of your movies are after scattering them randomly across your home.

Honestly, this is sort of what I use the most often. I use a record cabinet because I'm an ~aesthetics first~ dummy of a decorator, so there are just vertical towers packed in there since I don't like displaying Blus. Generally I remember that something is in the rear left pile or whatever and I'm right more often than not.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
While I’m taking pics, here’s most of the stuff I ordered recently in 2-for-1 sales. I think everything pictured averaged out to $6-7 per film

Not pictured: some boxsets and criterions that haven’t arrived yet

Don’t ask about the duplicates

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

depression mostly

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Closed:

Open (trigger warning):

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

feedmyleg posted:

Closed:

Open (trigger warning):

Yesssssss Go Team Venture on proud display

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I have enough time now, I might try and order my stuff by some chaotic system for fun. How about by color?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

depression mostly

I should add that only the movies I have behind the vertical stacks are alphabetical. Rest are just kind of where ever they fit after I bought them because I'm too goddamn lazy and I can just read the spines. My records, however, aren't organized at all beside a tiny section that was the earliest part of my collection. So frequently I spend a good five minutes looking through hundreds of discs over and over until I find the thing I actually want to play. So I get you.

WE ARE THE SAME, YOU AND I.

feedmyleg posted:

Closed:

Open (trigger warning):

I like this collection and your retro 60s house even if I hiss and run into an air duct when I see a turntable like that.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 22, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean. It's not there for the audio quality. And it's not like you need Halloween Sound Effects records to sound great.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

MachineryNoise posted:

Look at this baby. You hide everything and make them only accessible through solving a series of elaborate puzzles and cyphers.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I mean. It's not there for the audio quality. And it's not like you need Halloween Sound Effects records to sound great.

It's not just the built in speaker thing it's just horrible for the records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

I have enough time now, I might try and order my stuff by some chaotic system for fun. How about by color?

Order them by UPC.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

IUG posted:

Order them by UPC.

Chronological by the date the version of that release came out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In order of how much you paid for each.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
The amount of nudity in each.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

The amount of nudity in each.

The real Ebert ranking order

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Vince MechMahon posted:

Chronological by the date the version of that release came out.

Since I use the blu-ray.com app, I could do that very easily.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CPL593H posted:

I like this collection and your retro 60s house even if I hiss and run into an air duct when I see a turntable like that.

I'm the heavy stack of records hard-leaning against the side.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Organization by genre at least makes some sense, but that's just too difficult for me so it's 100% alphabetical with series lumped together based on the name of first movie.

CelticPredator posted:

Are you my roommate? I can tell whenever she's watched one of my movies because she'll just put it back on a shelf at about eye level. Took me forever to figure it out initially because I was looking at the shelf and just knew something was wrong, but I couldn't quite pin it down. When I finally inspected it, she had shelved Ghostbusters in the middle of the B section.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I'm too lazy for fancy organizing. Just have them separated by format: DVD,br, uhd with a separate shelf for steel books. Though I only get steels if they're a few bucks more these days

ChazTurbo fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 22, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I put mine in alphabetical order in the binder and the first page is a table of contents

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

King Vidiot posted:

I'm the heavy stack of records hard-leaning against the side.

ehhhh that's not enough to shift a record player so no harm no foul. vinyl is also better stacked that way because they'll warp if they're stacked horizontally. The real solution is to buy enough dead format physical media that they sit securely in a shelf, so securely you can never get them out because they're packed in too tight and you just end up listening to stuff on spotify anyway.

Iron Crowned posted:

Are you my roommate? I can tell whenever she's watched one of my movies because she'll just put it back on a shelf at about eye level. Took me forever to figure it out initially because I was looking at the shelf and just knew something was wrong, but I couldn't quite pin it down. When I finally inspected it, she had shelved Ghostbusters in the middle of the B section.

murder is ok, sometimes

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Busters, Ghost

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I used to organize by genre, but ran into the issue of what do you do with poo poo that doesn't fit into a single genre? Do you just put horror comedy with horror? What if it's funnier than it is scary? Then does it go with comedy? Do you just make a new section? In the end it was just easier to go alphabetical.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
the correct answers is chronological by theatrical release

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Whenever I see a crazy number of new posts in this thread, I know someone has started up the "how do you organize your discs?" discussion again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

I used to organize by genre, but ran into the issue of what do you do with poo poo that doesn't fit into a single genre? Do you just put horror comedy with horror? What if it's funnier than it is scary? Then does it go with comedy? Do you just make a new section? In the end it was just easier to go alphabetical.

Yea this killed me and made it impossible to organize by genre. The one exception is horror, because I was able to come up with a very simple standard, "Is this movie something I would want to watch in October?" If yes, it goes on the horror shelf.

I also have a hard time sorting by director because doing that fucks with too many series. Like I own every Alien movie, so do I really want the three Ridley Scott films on a separate Ridley Scott shelf and then the others on their own on a different shelf? No of course not, that would be madness. Same for Jurassic Park, Terminator, Halloween, and a bunch of others.