Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TobinHatesYou posted:

Jokes aside, you generally wouldn't want an american whiskey aged as long as a typical single malt scotch given the prevailing US climates as well as the fact that new oak barrels have a lot of wood sugars, vanillins/tannins to impart into the whiskey. Pappy 20/23yr are the exceptions, not the norm...and 15yr tastes better than either anyway.

Imagine an 18 year-old Amrut. It would probably be dark mahogany and taste like molasses. Hmm.

Mostly it's the tannins that break it for me. Imagine sucking on and old tea bag. Yeah no thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just checked and Wee Beastie almost doubled in price. :mad:

gently caress that noise then

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

gwrtheyrn posted:

Anyone have recommendations for port finished whiskeys that have reasonably distribution? The one bottle I have at home is the kavalan solist port cask, and it smells incredible and I quite enjoy it. The problem is that it's not really something you can get in the US, or at least not without ridiculous probably secondary market prices. The only widely available port cask finished whiskey that I know of is angels envy.

Not the time of year for it, but in the winter High West's Midwinter Night's Dram is pretty good and is getting more distro lately

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

Not the time of year for it, but in the winter High West's Midwinter Night's Dram is pretty good and is getting more distro lately
Definitely a fantastic whiskey, it's one of my favorite pours in the world. Their Yippie Ki-Yay is aged in vermouth and syrah barrels (so not port and not quite as sweet, but still wine barrels), but is more widely available.

There aren't a ton of barrel-finished American whiskies that are any good. Angel's Envy Rye is also finished in rum casks and has a pretty unique raisin-y note. 1792 makes a lot of cask-finished bourbon, but they're not my favorite whiskey.

Basil Hayden's Dark Rye and High West 36th Vote Manhattan are also basically pre-mixed manhattans and are drinkable, but not nearly as high-end as the other stuff.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

spankmeister posted:

I just checked and Wee Beastie almost doubled in price. :mad:

gently caress that noise then

Wee Beastie's still ~$40 here, I should pick one up before it increases.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My dad loves any scotch in the Glen- family. Thinking about getting a bottle of Glenlivet 15 for Father's Day. Is the 18 year that much different?

Edit: Or any recommendations for a good single scotch. Also considering Balvenie 12 or Lagavulin 16.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 12, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LifeLynx posted:

My dad loves any scotch in the Glen- family. Thinking about getting a bottle of Glenlivet 15 for Father's Day. Is the 18 year that much different?

Edit: Or any recommendations for a good single scotch. Also considering Balvenie 12 or Lagavulin 16.

FYI Glen just means valley / river valley. Glenlivet literally means the valley of the river Livet. There's Glen- named distilleries everywhere and they aren't related.

Your dad will probably love Balvenie. I would also consider AnCnoc, Cragganmore, Clynelish, Mortlach, among others.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

LifeLynx posted:

Lagavulin 16 is good, but for the price (assuming your dad likes peat, but if not then Lagavulin 16 would not be a good choice) either of Ardbeg Corryvreckan or Ardbeg Uigeadail are worth considering.

None of those are anything like a Glen- though.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Thinking of treating myself for Fat Hersday. What's a good single malt in the $100-ish range that doesn't taste anything like Laphroaig? I dont mind a little bit of campfire just dont want it to be overpowering. I'm finding I like my scotches on the chewier side texture wise fwiw.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I'm a huge advocate of Aberlour A'Bunadh. I see it for about $75, and I think it's well worth it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Jo3sh posted:

I'm a huge advocate of Aberlour A'Bunadh. I see it for about $75, and I think it's well worth it.

Man I haven't seen it for under $90 for a while. Usually like $110

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Quiet Feet posted:

Thinking of treating myself for Fat Hersday. What's a good single malt in the $100-ish range that doesn't taste anything like Laphroaig? I dont mind a little bit of campfire just dont want it to be overpowering. I'm finding I like my scotches on the chewier side texture wise fwiw.

Sherried Macallan is still the chewiest single malt to me after all these years.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
My weekly blind was a 4 roses flight

9 year OESK private barrel @56.2
9 year OBSK private barrel @53
2016 Small Batch LE @55.6
Small Batch Select @52

I guessed them all correctly surprising myself because it was all minor nuances that made me choose what I chose (like the OESK being a bit hotter than the OBSK)

Noses were all over the place and the OESK was actually best in my opinion with the SBS in second

On palate though the Limited Edition was the winner, but it actually very close to the Small Batch Select. Both the OESK and OBSK were great, but if had to rank them:
LE, SBS, OESK, OBSK

I have a small sample left of my 2015 LE bottle, and an unopened 2019 LE that I would have loved to do with this, but I'm saving both for a special occasion. The 2015 was leagues better than the 2016 in my memory so I'll just have to go that route.

Given all of this, the basic gist of this is that small batch select beats out some great barrel picks of it's component whiskeys, and definitely worth a bottle. I'll be interested to see how it goes up against the reigning availability champ, OF 1920.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Jo3sh posted:

TobinHatesYou posted:

Sherried Macallan is still the chewiest single malt to me after all these years.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Happy National Bourbon Day! Tonight was battle 100+ proof wheaters. I went in blind and the results were surprising. One of my all time favorites did not hit at all and came in last....

Notes per shot glass with a letter grade:
MSU: Kinda flat at first, light spice, not too much burn B
Plain: Ugh harsh, rough D
MTU: Smooth, cherries, A-
Jamaica: Yum, lightly sweet, no burn A

And the winner...... Maker's RC6!! 🎉🎉🎉
#2 Larceny BP (my husband did add a few drops of water so the 123 proof didn't give it away)
#3 Old Fitz 13y
#4 Weller Antique ☹️☹️☹️

I'm glad I have a backup to the RC6. And I didn't like the Larceny last time I tried it so maybe I need to add a bit of water next time. Kippis!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Quiet Feet posted:

Thanks for your suggestions!

Maybe also look at Glenfarclas or Glendronach.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I just picked up a Four Roses Single Barrel, this is real nice. Tastes like hot cinnamon candies.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

biglads posted:

Maybe also look at Glenfarclas or Glendronach.

Settle on an Aberlour A'bunadh cask strength. Just waiting on my bottle shop to get the order together for pickup. :guinness:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I had a miniature bottle of GlenAllachie 15YO today and it is _quite_ the sherry bomb. Full of rich sherry flavors, raisins, berries, plums, etc.

Which is weird because it's not at all marketed as a sherried whisky. Perhaps they're using casks from other fortified wines not from the Sherry regions.

In any case I can recommend GlenAllachie 15YO for all your aged Sherried whisky needs. It's very reminiscent of GlenDronach 15 to me, a little less refined but good nonetheless. And it's cheaper.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Was just at total wine today and they had jack Daniels single barrel barrel proof 375ml’s for $25. Pretty good deal, cheaper to buy two of those than to buy one 750!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

DoctaFun posted:

Was just at total wine today and they had jack Daniels single barrel barrel proof 375ml’s for $25. Pretty good deal, cheaper to buy two of those than to buy one 750!

I saw one of those at my festivals for $60. I’m tempted after the funky goodness that is the heritage barrel I lucked into.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What do I need to know for making my own bitters? I've saved some grapefruit rind. Seems like the high proof liquors locally are cheap vodkas.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Opened the handle of Bulleit I got a little while ago and am I nuts or does anyone else get a little citrus from it? At first I thought it might have been that my first sip was from a glass that'd had some lime seltzer in it previously, but nope, had it in a clean glass and got the same notes. First bourbon I've had with that note to it. Is it the rye?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I got a little hint of citrus as well. It's my go-to for mixing cocktails that use bourbon, though this Jefferson's Reserve stuff I grabbed on a whim last time I was at Total Wine would take its place if it was cheaper.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I get a dill pickle note from Bulleit

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

Opened the handle of Bulleit I got a little while ago and am I nuts or does anyone else get a little citrus from it? At first I thought it might have been that my first sip was from a glass that'd had some lime seltzer in it previously, but nope, had it in a clean glass and got the same notes. First bourbon I've had with that note to it. Is it the rye?

I get citrus notes from ryes on occasion. Sazerac in particular, for whatever reason.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Pikesville rye that I thought was maybe a little too strong and hot... I'm liking more and more it gets towards the end of the bottle, maybe it's mellowing a bit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PLCB seemingly stocked back up during their months-long closure, so I took advantage now that stores are open and stocked

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

DoctaFun posted:

Glendronach makes a port finished expression, I haven’t tried it but I’m a total Glendronach fanboy at this point.

The Dalmore Portwood reserve is actually a fantastic bottle and kind of flies under the radar since their other expressions get a lot of flack for all the coloring and low proof. The Portwood is like 46% though and really good.

The aforementioned Quinta ruban is probably the most readily available of the lot though!

Finally got around to picking up these three, and have the quinta ruban open now. It's not quite what I was looking for, which is basically the port equivalent of a 'sherry bomb.' It is nice though, and it might join balvenie/aberlour 12 as one of my normal scotches. The other two aren't opened yet because I have too many open bottles right now.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I scored a bottle of Wild Turkey Master's Keep Cornerstone Rye. It's probably the most interesting rye I've had. Seems like as soon as I would identify one flavor another would surface. I tried a few ryes I had on hand afterward and it managed to kill my enjoyment of Whistlepig 12. But Willett Family Estate 4 year is still my favorite rye.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

PLCB seemingly stocked back up during their months-long closure, so I took advantage now that stores are open and stocked

New Riff is top notch. I really like their rye.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I managed to get my hands on some Balcones Single Malt and is it ever good. For a whisky that's not even 2 years old! The label doesn't even say Whisky in the European release because it's under 3yo.

It's amazing to me that they manage to get such a dark, flavorful and complex whisky in such a short time. Even at 53% abv it's not a terribly hot and spicy spirit, you can definitely tell the spirit is young but it's surprisingly smooth for such a young and high proof whisky.

The Texas heat really cooks the whisky fast and it produces very interesting results.

I hear they're actually having problems keeping their whisky in the barrel for longer than a year or two, because it would just become woody and astringent after that.

Anyway, I'm a fan and will be on the lookout for more Texas whiskey in the future as their whiskey industry grows and matures.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Enigma posted:

New Riff is top notch. I really like their rye.
I don't think PLCB has managed to get their rye. In fact, this was the first time I think they've even purchased the single barrel. All I'd seen thus far was their bourbon. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Are you mixing the rye? I tend to only use rye in cocktails, while bourbon I'll sip neat. For example, last night I was mixing rye for vieux carres (since I was also able to replenish my cognac supply yesterday).

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Rittenhouse Rye I use in cocktails, but New Riff I drink neat. I'm sure it'd make a great cocktail though.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Enigma posted:

Rittenhouse Rye I use in cocktails, but New Riff Rye I drink neat. I'm sure it'd make a great cocktail though.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

After trying the Ardbeg 10 a few weeks ago and loving it, I treated myself to the Ardbeg an oa and corryvreckan for fathers day. The wife was not a fan, but I enjoyed them immensely.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Barely even tasted it yet but I already like this Aberlour Abunadh cask strength.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Never been disappointed by anything from Aberlour.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Aberlour A'bundadh is just over $100 here, is it really that good?

I don't usually go for non-islays, but I'm intrigued by the sherry, which is what I love about the Ardbeg Uigeadail (well that and the peat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Drinking this gin called Elephant Gin. It's very straight forward, nothing too special or complex about it. The gin hits all of the right spots as far as a London Style gin goes.