Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

ultrafilter posted:

...mycologists?

Sounds like a fun guy! :dadjoke:

Not mush room for argument there! :dadjoke:

He certainly... towed a... stool... gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

...mycologists?

Kei Technical has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Jun 22, 2020

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Since the last of us II discourse aren’t we all mycologists in a way?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

someone pop the champagne cuz that dude's right on the button

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Doc Hawkins posted:

someone pop the champignon cuz that dude's right on the button

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Sorry about my shiit take on that guys

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Babylon Bee used to have pretty good and insightful ribs on American evangelical culture every so often, and has since devolved into boring conservative circle-jerking. Now here they are explaining their dumb joke at us:
https://twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1274119790810943488

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Dr Christmas posted:

Babylon Bee used to have pretty good and insightful ribs on American evangelical culture every so often, and has since devolved into boring conservative circle-jerking.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with their membership program which includes a subscription tier for "you get to post in a special forum and pitch article ideas to us".

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Isn't Babylon Bee run by that guy who always makes strained arguments against THE GAYS? The only people I've seen share their articles are a libertarian and a marine who unironically shares prager u videos.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

wizzardstaff posted:

I'm sure this has nothing to do with their membership program which includes a subscription tier for "you get to post in a special forum and pitch article ideas to us".

drat that hits close to home

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dr Christmas posted:

Babylon Bee used to have pretty good and insightful ribs on American evangelical culture every so often, and has since devolved into boring conservative circle-jerking. Now here they are explaining their dumb joke at us:
https://twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1274119790810943488

blacks.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Brother Q isn't the idiot

https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1274857077840777217

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dr Christmas posted:

Babylon Bee used to have pretty good and insightful ribs

I'm sorry but when exactly was this?

I've only ever known them as an attempt at "The Onion, but right-wing" which has been about as good as it sounds for as long as I can remember.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mak0rz posted:

I'm sorry but when exactly was this?

I've only ever known them as an attempt at "The Onion, but right-wing" which has been about as good as it sounds for as long as I can remember.

I feel like there's been one or two that got a chuckle out of me, but damned if I can remember them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

I feel like there's been one or two that got a chuckle out of me, but damned if I can remember them.

I feel there was a while where you could expect them to have funny, familiar jabs at some types of American Christianity.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I feel there was a while where you could expect them to have funny, familiar jabs at some types of American Christianity.

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879 parishioners walk like this

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912 parishioners walk like this

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Babylon Bee was founded by one of those interchangable biblical literalist political cartoonists whose only two takes were "liberals say I hate the gays, but that's ridiculous, because the bible says everyone's a sinner and I love all sinners equally (but only want the government to oppress gays and also women and non-white people)" and "lmao scientists are such dumbasses for trying to map out the fossil records when we already know where animals came from read genesis morans" while citing a random bible verse. I wanna say Adam Ford? And then I think he sold it as soon as someone offered a decent chunk of change.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have laughed at Babylon Bee, but ONLY at posts that are frankly only understandable if you spent most of your life going to church and are familiar with more types of churches than yours. They have had some extremely niche jokes that worked.

That's the one joke genre they have ever been good at.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Adam Ford, yeah, signed his cartoons Adam 4D, and iirc is a convert to evangelical christianity

used to get posted a lot in the politoons thread, idk maybe still is, i stopped reading it so my blood pressure doesn't get to kurosawa dismemberment levels

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Peanut Butler posted:

Adam Ford, yeah, signed his cartoons Adam 4D, and iirc is a convert to evangelical christianity

used to get posted a lot in the politoons thread, idk maybe still is, i stopped reading it so my blood pressure doesn't get to kurosawa dismemberment levels

As far as I can tell he doesn't do cartoons anymore and focuses solely on the Babylon bee. But yeah his cartoons were him basically using the bible like a law book to pretzel twist himself into justifying his hatred of LGBTQA+ people. He was a right wing evangelical version of The Oatmeal.

Edit: I spoke too soon, he's still making comics:

THE SAME loving JOKE OVER AND OVER.

seiferguy has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Jun 22, 2020

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

here's one that is less depressing and political

For some quick background, many Chinese animal names are fun mashups of animals and concepts for interesting linguistic reasons.

This woman posts a "fun language fact" about Chinese which a lot of people find when they fool around with a dictionary: that "penguin" is literally "business goose". This is unfortunately not true and it's actually a "tip-toe goose", which is still fun, imo. People tried to politely correct her since this happens a lot, and she wasn't too happy with that and kept digging in on this for some reason-

the icing on the cake is she eventually deleted every tweet in the thread, EXCEPT this one!!!

hmmmmmm

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lol that app will just be a frontend for Google translate

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

seiferguy posted:

As far as I can tell he doesn't do cartoons anymore and focuses solely on the Babylon bee. But yeah his cartoons were him basically using the bible like a law book to pretzel twist himself into justifying his hatred of LGBTQA+ people. He was a right wing evangelical version of The Oatmeal.

Edit: I spoke too soon, he's still making comics:

THE SAME loving JOKE OVER AND OVER.

It's very easy to phrase things to avoid that sort of dipshit gotcha, in fact I consciously tailor my language to account for others because I'm nice and also have experienced the world

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/mschlapp/status/1274898542172258304

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

well known white man and slave owner, jesus of nazareth

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, depends. Are these statues of Jesus on public land, a commons belonging to a religious plurality with a valid expectation of secular governance? If so, yoink!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lumbermouth posted:

That guy with the cigarette looks so viscerally uncomfortable.

He's like the physical manifestation of the word "welp"

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

That man has the most goddamn filthy last name.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

<atheistically> yes... yes!!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Data Graham posted:

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879 parishioners walk like this

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912 parishioners walk like this

And that's just the Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptists. Don't even get me started on the Northern Conservative Reform Baptists.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The bizarre woke post of the week:

https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1274908775032520706?s=21

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
It's pretty weird to see an anti-shipper also be a problematic shipper at the same time, not gonna lie

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1274910344234913792?s=19

Edit: Am I the only one who thought Kylo Ren was supposed to be an alt-right/proud boy stand in?

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Jun 22, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Magna Kaser posted:

here's one that is less depressing and political

For some quick background, many Chinese animal names are fun mashups of animals and concepts for interesting linguistic reasons.

Plenty of English animals names are like this, we just laundered them through other languages.

Hippopotamus = river horse

Porcupine = thorny pig

Porpoise = pig fish

Ferret = little thief

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
EDIT: ninja

SurreptitiousMuffin has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Jun 22, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

so woke you end up racist/sexist/ableist keeps happening, might make one question the use of sharing advanced feminist theory with the majority of people without the proper context for intersectionality an such

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

MizPiz posted:

Edit: Am I the only one who thought Kylo Ren was supposed to be an alt-right/proud boy stand in?

She's coming off pretty high and mighty for someone that fantasizes about cousins loving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

MizPiz posted:

Nope! In the Force Awakens, he gave off incredible incel energy