Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Ennis and adaptations, wasn't Crossed supposed to become a TV show at one point? I can't imagine that working, even for HBO or Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Bigoted and astonishly hateful seem like strong words...

On an unrelated note, I ordered an old one-off from a vintage comix distributor based on this thread’s recommendation (saying it was ultra-violence done well) and... uh...it came in today

Well, if you can figure out exactly which 80s action movie it's a parody of, please do tell.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I wonder if theres any comic book purist that's insanely pissed at EVERYTHING the show changed

"What, Starlight only got told to suck ONE dick to keep her job? WTF IS THIS WEAK rear end poo poo!? If they cut out M.M.'s daughter too I'm walkin"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Ennis' greatest attribute is getting America completely wrong, yet also 100% right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blaise330 posted:

I wonder if theres any comic book purist that's insanely pissed at EVERYTHING the show changed

"What, Starlight only got told to suck ONE dick to keep her job? WTF IS THIS WEAK rear end poo poo!? If they cut out M.M.'s daughter too I'm walkin"

There are.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...

Jedit posted:

The comics aren't awful in terms of the overarching plot. Ennis just needs someone to enforce brevity and service to the plot on him, because it's when he's allowed free rein to digress that things go to poo poo.
There's a couple of arcs that are just Ennis hating on superheroes, and while I find them funny in that edgelord way, they are in terms of the overall story superfluous. So yeah, I'd also say that Ennis needs a good editor - he's got many good ideas, and I do honestly think that he's good at writing dialogue - when the characters are good.

That also means that when you have a mute character like La Femme, well, obviously you're not going to get a lot of mileage out of her. In the books she's pretty much defined by Frenchie, who's a very unreliable narrator. (As witnessed by his telling of his own origin, which - sadly - I'm 100% sure won't make it into the show, as it has gently caress-all to do with superheroes). They've fleshed her out a bit in the show, which is all for the better. Frenchies telling of her origin is basically him riffing on Aliens and Asterix and blubbering over how misunderstood this little girl is - who BTW likes to pull peoples faces off. Not much to misunderstand there.

Anyway, the basic concept of superheroes being celebrities and therefore terrible people is sound, which is why it got tagged for an Amazon show. I'm still dubious about the Billy/Becca plotline in the show, but I assume season 2 will settle that one way or the other.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Swollen Member posted:

That also means that when you have a mute character like La Femme, well, obviously you're not going to get a lot of mileage out of her. In the books she's pretty much defined by Frenchie, who's a very unreliable narrator. (As witnessed by his telling of his own origin, which - sadly - I'm 100% sure won't make it into the show, as it has gently caress-all to do with superheroes). They've fleshed her out a bit in the show, which is all for the better. Frenchies telling of her origin is basically him riffing on Aliens and Asterix and blubbering over how misunderstood this little girl is - who BTW likes to pull peoples faces off. Not much to misunderstand there.

In the comics Frenchie is explicitly lying about everything when it comes to the past. It's a meta-commentary about superheroes and origin stories; Hughie feels like he needs to know, so Frenchie tells him something to keep him happy. But the real Frenchie and the Female only come out when the two of them are alone together, most notably in issue 21 where he catches the Female on one of her hit jobs. He says this:

"I know it is not for the money. I know it is because you cannot ... not. You think this way is not so bad, because only bad men suffer. But it is not so simple. It keeps a terrible thing alive. [...] And it is bad for you, to do it for no reason. For your heart."

And then he buys her off with a bag of chocolate limes. That scene basically sums up everything about the two of them. Frenchie met a horribly damaged person and his heart went out to her, and he's been trying to mend her ever since. The crazy games he plays with her like reverse strip poker aren't because he's crazy like Butcher thinks. It's a deliberate reverse of the relationship between Leon and Matilda in that movie; he's trying to give her childish things to replace the childhood she didn't have.

But the other is more memorable, so that's what people take from it.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
My take on that is slightly different, but probably not so different it's worth arguing about. FWIW, I don't believe anything Frenchie tells us in the books, and that includes the story where Billy and he went to Tokio to pick up La Femme from the sewers of a chemical zaibatzu. That thing you quote from ish 21is IMO all Frenchie POV and therefore highly suspect. By that I don't mean that it didn't happen in the story, but rather that Frenchie will project any old story onto the target of his affection, La femme.

Potatoes, potatoes.

Edit: Writing this, I also realize that Frenchie is a much better character in the show. He's not off-puttingly weird, just slightly loopy. The way they've presented his and La Femme's strange relationship is much more sympathetic, not to mention, a lot less creepy than in the books.

Swollen Member fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 21, 2020

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I will miss his ultra-French origin story, though. That was one of the better bits from the comics.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...

GD_American posted:

I will miss his ultra-French origin story, though. That was one of the better bits from the comics.

Agreed, the villainous Black Pierre and the tragic death by croissant of Frenchie's dad really underscored that perhaps our Frenchie isn't completely over his FFL-induced PTSD. It would be fun to see how the showrunners would handle that crazy story. But I'm guessing that we won't see that particular arc, nor Herogasm or Love Sausage.
:(

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I never could figure out if all the terrible French was part of the character or Ennis not bothering to learn any french.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I never could figure out if all the terrible French was part of the character or Ennis not bothering to learn any french.

It's deliberate. As per his false origin story, he's from a place called Franglais. Let's Parler Franglais is a famous series of humourous articles about speaking a bastardised mishmash where you say the French words you know in a British accent and use English for the rest. For example, Let's Parler Franglais Again! begins thus:

LESSON UN: LE SAILING

Capitaine: Welcome aboard, vieux chap! C'est votre premiere visit dans un boat?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Swollen Member posted:

Agreed, the villainous Black Pierre and the tragic death by croissant of Frenchie's dad really underscored that perhaps our Frenchie isn't completely over his FFL-induced PTSD. It would be fun to see how the showrunners would handle that crazy story. But I'm guessing that we won't see that particular arc, nor Herogasm or Love Sausage.
:(

Pretty sure they said they'd be touching on Herogasm at least, though I doubt it will be quite as hosed up as it was in the comics.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking of Ennis and adaptations, wasn't Crossed supposed to become a TV show at one point? I can't imagine that working, even for HBO or Amazon.

I thought it was in talks to be made into a movie not long after it came out, but I think that fizzled out altogether. I'm not sure it the Walking Dead being a hit when the first season came out had anything to do with it getting shelved.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I don't remember this particular version of this being posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mi8yJxT.mp4

It's my favorite one and apologies if it's a repost.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Starr's facial expressions are so drat good

like even that still photo of him in Vought headquarters that he's X-ray visioning through. It looks like he's wearing a human suit

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Preacher talk made me gave the tv series a go, and it's alright. I love how Jesse and Cassidy almost immediately become friends because they're losers on the same wavelength

Edit: For fucks sake, when Jesse discovers his god power the two of them give excited "WOOOOOAH"s

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 22, 2020

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

lmao. It's classic

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Preacher talk made me gave the tv series a go, and it's alright. I love how Jesse and Cassidy almost immediately become friends because they're losers on the same wavelength

Edit: For fucks sake, when Jesse discovers his god power the two of them give excited "WOOOOOAH"s

Legit my favorite showcase of the power but also limitations of The Word in that TV series is the following:

Jesse: SING ME SOME JOHNNY CASH
Cassidy: ♪ me some Johnny Cash! ♪

And they're both so tickled pink by it :allears:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Jerusalem posted:

Legit my favorite showcase of the power but also limitations of The Word in that TV series is the following:

Jesse: SING ME SOME JOHNNY CASH
Cassidy: ♪ me some Johnny Cash! ♪

And they're both so tickled pink by it :allears:

The only bad thing about Cassidy is Gilgun's Irish accent. The funny thing is, Ruth Negga is Irish and plays an American character right next to him and she's excellent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SardonicTyrant posted:

Season 2 dips in quality but stick with it because season 4 is just incredible and they stuck the landing so loving well

They changed a fair bit from how the comic ends, and it's all way better than the comic

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

That Italian Guy posted:

The only bad thing about Cassidy is Gilgun's Irish accent. The funny thing is, Ruth Negga is Irish and plays an American character right next to him and she's excellent.

All 3 of the main characters and all 3 of the main villains (Starr, Hitler, and Saint) doing ridiculous accents is part of the show’s incredible charm.

Ruth’s accent is at least as offensive to Americans as Cassidy’s is to the Irish, both are clearly hyper exaggerations of what the other culture thinks they sound like.

gently caress I was gonna start DEVS this week but I might rewatch Preacher when I’m done that sex-party fight scene is so amazing, up there with the Old-Boy hallway and the Daredevil single-shot.

I also recently watched an old promo interview where Dominic goes on some UK show to promote Preacher with Graham MacTavish and he tells a story about how it was only a few years ago that he was too poor to afford underwear. The other guest is a lesbian comedian and she starts cracking up going “oh well you really need those with all that don’t ya!” and she goes on to tell the audience how she accidentally walked in on him changing before the show and he has a huge dick. UK television is awesome.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 22, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I love Ruth Negga but her default American accent is reeeeeally over the top "well hoot an holler giddyup cheeseburger assault rifle yeehaw!"

Jesse also talks that way but slightly more subtly

If you like Joe Gilgun you gotta watch This Is England

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...

seaborgium posted:

Pretty sure they said they'd be touching on Herogasm at least, though I doubt it will be quite as hosed up as it was in the comics.
Cool, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. The question I have is, since there's no way they can do an XXX-rated episode where half their cast are loving and sucking in full HD - how exactly will they handle Herogasm? Hence my assumption that Herogasm would be one of the excised story arcs. Also, not a lot happens in Herogasm that isn't related to intake of vaginal mucus and super-cumshots.

IIRC, it did introduce more supers, some of whom would pop up later -Stormfront and Soldier Boy to name a few. And it did deepen the corporate intrigue a bit, but the main thing I took away from Herogasm was that The Boys got a spy inside the president's security squad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I read The Boys as it was being released and after the super horny villainess blows herself up by jacking off with a stick of dynamite I think was like “this sucks I’m buying Hellboy next week instead” and never went back.

Some of these ideas sound so hosed and gross I WOULD like to read them for myself. Does the Boys have a large anthology or should I just bargain hunt for trades?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bust Rodd posted:

Some of these ideas sound so hosed and gross I WOULD like to read them for myself. Does the Boys have a large anthology or should I just bargain hunt for trades?

You really shouldn't and Herogasm is peak Ennis. We really don't need it at all - nor that I think the show would go that way in any case, the sleazy night club in s1ep1(?) was enough to show that supes have secret vice enclaves and that they are hedonistic shits.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

You really shouldn't and Herogasm is peak Ennis. We really don't need it at all - nor that I think the show would go that way in any case, the sleazy night club in s1ep1(?) was enough to show that supes have secret vice enclaves and that they are hedonistic shits.

Herogasm should have been one issue in the main run. It didn't need its own loving miniseries.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Jedit posted:

Herogasm should have been one issue in the main run. It didn't need its own loving miniseries.

Yeah almost nothing of importance happens in it (that it couldn't have happened in a different way). It's just Ennis's masturbatory (eheh) list of "let's really think hard about what hosed up super fetishists would get into" things.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like Ennis! I am a big Ennis fan! I want more Ennis is my life! Black Ennis, gross Ennis, dark Ennis, I just need as much Ennis as I’m allowed to have!

(Gosh I hope his name is pronounced the way I think it is)

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
I like some of his stuff - Preacher, Battlefields, My War Gone By, and of course The Boys. He's certainly a bit of an edgelord, but I can live with that.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bust Rodd posted:

I like Ennis! I am a big Ennis fan! I want more Ennis is my life! Black Ennis, gross Ennis, dark Ennis, I just need as much Ennis as I’m allowed to have!

(Gosh I hope his name is pronounced the way I think it is)

I've always pronounced it to rhyme with Tennis. No idea if that's the right way though.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

I've always pronounced it to rhyme with Tennis. No idea if that's the right way though.

It's similar to that, but the sound is a bit more closed. Something like In-nus. ("I" like in Indiana and the "u" is mostly silent in a "NN" sound). In-ns.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 22, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's easy to do an American accent, just pull anything out of your rear end including not changing your accent and you're spot on for somewhere

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
The thing that always gives away British actors trying American accents is how hard they punch our rhotic R. Charlie Hunnam is really bad about this.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

As someone who followed and read the comics, the show is way better especially with dialogue and stuff. Went back and tried to read it again after many years and finishing S1, man alive is a lot of the writing terrible.

Oh and hot take, both the leads in Preacher are really bad, but all the supporting cast are pitch perfect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’d never seen Dominic Cummings in anything before but I loved his take on Jesse and only really watched because of him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I’d never seen Dominic Cummings in anything before but I loved his take on Jesse and only really watched because of him.

*snort*

Dominic Cummings is the advisor to British PM-in-name-only Boris Johnson. You're thinking of Dominic Cooper, who plays Howard Stark in the MCU. If you haven't seen him in anything before, I recommend The Devil's Double, in which he plays Uday Hussein and Hussein's body double.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Listening to Jesse's big sermon in S1:

"Folk afraid to hug each other on account of some new disease"

:stare: well that was prophetic.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

*snort*

Dominic Cummings is the advisor to British PM-in-name-only Boris Johnson. You're thinking of Dominic Cooper, who plays Howard Stark in the MCU. If you haven't seen him in anything before, I recommend The Devil's Double, in which he plays Uday Hussein and Hussein's body double.

He was also pretty good in Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted: