Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cancel wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If nothing else this week has taught us that "make your wrestling gimmick yourself turned up to 11" is some terrible, terrible advice

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

wow who wouldve thought someone who hangs around with jericho is complete scum

santana and ortiz need to sever and fast before they turn into pieces of poo poo too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Huntman posted:

Add one more Joey Ryan story to the pile

https://twitter.com/alexgracia3/status/1274975856558047234

Also a very, very, very, very bad clip of Sammy Guevara

https://twitter.com/wweshortyg/status/1274964647607627776?s=21

Jesus loving Christ. Also here's the actual video itself where the top comment is from 4 months ago of somebody literally pointing this out and asking what the gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBQblkwIH64&t=1101s

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

idk if he was mentioned, but Lewis Girvan

https://twitter.com/jessijezebel/status/1274036191369859077?s=19

gently caress's sake, Scottish wrestling needs to be better

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Charlie Morgan is rad and the Knights suck

https://twitter.com/charliemorganuk/status/1275001873301463040

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Frank Miller

https://twitter.com/Hayley_Shadows/status/1274999068918456320

https://twitter.com/Hayley_Shadows/status/1274999262271754241

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sammy could have used literally hundreds of other words in that sentence to replace just that one and been fine, if not a little OTT in his enthusiasm for Sasha.

What a loving idiot.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I'll update the list soon, but this was missed from a few days ago:

https://twitter.com/JasonF1824/status/1273818241287303169

EDIT:

I see I have a new avatar

I'm not updating poo poo

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

hmmm that av text im not even sure i understand, those sammy tweets i do understand and its awful i dont like him anymore

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
One thing that someone mentioned on twitter: when you look at the dudes who seem to be the most vocal about the Speaking Out stuff in terms of amplifying voices and trying to help people: its the next generation mostly. Dan Moloney, who's been the loudest voice, is only 23: Joe Nelson has been vocal as well and he's loving seventeen years old: still basically a child. I don't think his age is public but Michael Oku surely isn't that old either; and he's there taking on a management role in Progress now. Hell the main person leading the push overall is Sierra Luxton and she's only 21. This can be seen in two ways: hopefully its evidence that the next generation have a load of good eggs in it and that if they get into positions of power and responsibility things will get better: but also an indictment on the previous generation that with a few exceptions (Pete Dunne ought to be mentioned as one of them) they've been silent and almost forced them into these leadership positions rather than doing what veterans should do if they were clear in themselves that they were innocent.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Feeling real glad I just changed my avatar right now

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Suplex Liberace posted:

hmmm that av text im not even sure i understand, those sammy tweets i do understand and its awful i dont like him anymore

I didn't buy it but it's probably related to the theorising they were doing about Kylie Rae that they ate a probe for

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Sammy made a "Sasha looks like a man" joke the other day so I'm not surprised.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

hmmm that av text im not even sure i understand

Assuming it's because of the Kylie Rae conspiracy theory he got probated for ITT

MorrisBae posted:

If it did happen, she probably went to Tony and said "let me out of my contract or I'll go to the media" and the compromise was "ok I'll let you out, but you can never speak of this to anyone"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fatherofmustard posted:

Gross

Goddamn why are the heel gimmicks really just how those people are in real life

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

IceAgeComing posted:

One thing that someone mentioned on twitter: when you look at the dudes who seem to be the most vocal about the Speaking Out stuff in terms of amplifying voices and trying to help people: its the next generation mostly. Dan Moloney, who's been the loudest voice, is only 23: Joe Nelson has been vocal as well and he's loving seventeen years old: still basically a child. I don't think his age is public but Michael Oku surely isn't that old either; and he's there taking on a management role in Progress now. Hell the main person leading the push overall is Sierra Luxton and she's only 21. This can be seen in two ways: hopefully its evidence that the next generation have a load of good eggs in it and that if they get into positions of power and responsibility things will get better: but also an indictment on the previous generation that with a few exceptions (Pete Dunne ought to be mentioned as one of them) they've been silent and almost forced them into these leadership positions rather than doing what veterans should do if they were clear in themselves that they were innocent.

Wrestlers are historically among the worst human beings on the planet. Turning that around has been a slow process and one that certainly isn't helped by the existing culture in wrestling.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

IceAgeComing posted:

Yeah, I've been v disappointed in a lot of brit veterans this week.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

fatherofmustard posted:

In context it was actually a "Ricochet looks like a girl" joke but that's obviously not any better.

(Ricochet previously said something about how he looked like Sasha when he was younger so Sammy was riffing on that)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
It's a shame it won't happen, but I'd love for there to be brain scans on all these pieces of poo poo. See how many of them have frontal lobe/ brain damage. That would explain (not excuse) how so many of these creeps are all in the same industry.

They start as normal poo poo heads. Take one or two bad brain hits, an undocumented concussion or three. Next thing you know... Joey Ryan.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Malcolm Excellent posted:

It's a shame it won't happen, but I'd love for there to be brain scans on all these pieces of poo poo. See how many of them have frontal lobe/ brain damage. That would explain (not excuse) how so many of these creeps are all in the same industry.

They start as normal poo poo heads. Take one or two bad brain hits, an undocumented concussion or three. Next thing you know... Joey Ryan.

Let's not let people get off on this due to the brain damage excuse. This industry is full of creeps because it's a sleazy loving industry and always has been.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

This is weird and you're not going to get an answer that clean. Wrestling is attractive to predators because it's fairly unregulated, no one outside of wrestling takes it seriously, and apparently things like "17 year old girl lives with a house full of adult men" was considered socially acceptable. And that last part is big because it's going to make an environment serious predators are attracted to and an environment that tells people who are kind of edge cases "this behavior is cool and fine" when in a different environment they might of picked up how lovely it is and not escalate.

But you're not getting an answer as clean as they hit their heads until the evil switch turned on because people are not that simple or clean.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All male-dominated industries that are seen as desireable are like this, just look at the music or movie industry. It's nothing specific about wrestling, it's about men being able to abuse power.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

All male-dominated industries that are seen as desireable are like this, just look at the music or movie industry. It's nothing specific about wrestling, it's about men being able to abuse power.

The exact same thing is happening, in that people are coming forward and sharing their stories of abuse, in the stand up comedy and game streaming/esports/game youtube scenes right now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Jervis is back to try to take advantage of the situation after himself being outed recently.

https://twitter.com/GentlemanJervis/status/1274899344987062272

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...ntent=post_body

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

gently caress every motherfucker who likes to cosplay old tyme gentleman crap with mustaches and stuff

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The exact same thing is happening, in that people are coming forward and sharing their stories of abuse, in the stand up comedy and game streaming/esports/game youtube scenes right now.

comics too

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cavauro posted:

gently caress every motherfucker who likes to cosplay old tyme gentleman crap with mustaches and stuff

What about the Butcher

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

not a gentleman

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So Joey Ryan's kind of a monster, huh?

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is weird and you're not going to get an answer that clean. Wrestling is attractive to predators because it's fairly unregulated, no one outside of wrestling takes it seriously, and apparently things like "17 year old girl lives with a house full of adult men" was considered socially acceptable. And that last part is big because it's going to make an environment serious predators are attracted to and an environment that tells people who are kind of edge cases "this behavior is cool and fine" when in a different environment they might of picked up how lovely it is and not escalate.

But you're not getting an answer as clean as they hit their heads until the evil switch turned on because people are not that simple or clean.

Yeah lovely, insular, unregulated communities are cesspools and we've not been unaware that wrestling is one. People understandably try and quarantine it to this company or that company or this person or that person but the reality is that if they were the exceptions than the rest of the industry would do something about it. Its a poisoned culture and its always been one, and if you don't want to just burn it all down then you have to do this terrible, uncomfortable thing and call it out in every corner and heartbreaking way so that the roaches can't keep hiding. Light kills infection.

Sometimes.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

One thing that really sucks about this very specific time we're in is that there are going to be no crowds to try and voice their concerns or hold companies accountable. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who skate by in larger companies for whatever reason, and I feel like it's going to be easier for them to do so without a live crowd shouting them down each week. With WWE especially, I can see this being a real "win" in their minds because they can just keep their heads down and hope that this moment passes without them having to really act at all.

I dunno. Maybe I'm too cynical and everyone will do what's right.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Ganso Bomb posted:

One thing that really sucks about this very specific time we're in is that there are going to be no crowds to try and voice their concerns or hold companies accountable. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who skate by in larger companies for whatever reason, and I feel like it's going to be easier for them to do so without a live crowd shouting them down each week. With WWE especially, I can see this being a real "win" in their minds because they can just keep their heads down and hope that this moment passes without them having to really act at all.

I dunno. Maybe I'm too cynical and everyone will do what's right.

I had the same thought. On the other hand I'm not sure it's getting enough mainstream publicity to affect crowd perception and to be even more cynical I doubt a lot of the crowd would care.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Gumball Gumption posted:

I guess you're right. I was thinking about my uncle that was involved in an industrial accident with a head injury and he went from the nicest guy, to a total piece of poo poo after his recovery.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Imagine being a total monster piece of poo poo outside the ring and then making your entire gimmick revolve around people touching your dick. I mean the guy was basically hiding in plain sight for years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

In context it was actually a "Ricochet looks like a girl" joke but that's obviously not any better.

(Ricochet previously said something about how he looked like Sasha when he was younger so Sammy was riffing on that)

The reply was to Sasha and not Ricochet though.

It's still up, because he's not a very smart man:
https://twitter.com/sammyguevara/status/1274771630137450500

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Yeah it's really blown up in the latter in about the same timeframe.

Mixer it turns out is basically the British wrestling scene.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Carlisle posted:

Imagine being a total monster piece of poo poo outside the ring and then making your entire gimmick revolve around people touching your dick. I mean the guy was basically hiding in plain sight for years.

i only came back to wrestling 6 months ago and when investigating things I had missed, i saw that Joey Ryan was some poo poo hot thing in the indies and literally all i saw was the most skeevy looking dude doing the most dumb assed self aggrandizing gimmick ever and i basically don't even know if he's good in the ring because i never wanted to watch anything beyond one of the dumb dick spots

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IceAgeComing posted:

I think there are two things going on:

1. The kids were raised better than we were. I remember what was acceptable when I was in high school or my early 20s. It was bad then and it’s bad now, it’s just that only now does it get called for what it is.

2. Related to the above, but also simply as a function of their age, the kids don’t have the same baggage. I think you would have a hard time finding someone in their mid 30s or older who hasn’t done or said some bad stuff. Personally, there was a night when I was about 21 where I got roaring drunk and just wouldn’t stop hitting on a coworker. At the time I thought it was funny and laughed about it with all my colleagues. It was creepy and wrong and one of the moments in my life I really regret. Other than that, I’ve said or joked about some vile poo poo. These days I try really hard to be a good role model and stand against the way I used to act, but I’m tainted. Based on how I remember everyone else acting back then too, I think there are lots of mid 30s folks with the same history, especially wrestlers.

The vets aren’t talking because either they don’t care or because they are or feel complicit. Even the “good ones” have baggage.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
its a cancer that runs through all of society. this just from today:
https://www.smh.com.au/national/high-court-inquiry-finds-former-justice-dyson-heydon-sexually-harassed-associates-20200622-p5550w.html

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Cavauro posted:

not a gentleman

explicitly a Violent Gentleman

https://twitter.com/violentgents/status/489087932905443330

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

smarxist posted:

i only came back to wrestling 6 months ago and when investigating things I had missed, i saw that Joey Ryan was some poo poo hot thing in the indies and literally all i saw was the most skeevy looking dude doing the most dumb assed self aggrandizing gimmick ever and i basically don't even know if he's good in the ring because i never wanted to watch anything beyond one of the dumb dick spots

I've been following for a long time now and have this exact same experience with Joey Ryan. I guess I never "got" it and was baffled by Hangman Page talking about their feud.

Also, I wonder if that Sammy clip would've resurfaced if he never posted that Sasha tweet. I'm guessing that triggered a "hey that sounds familiar".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The stand up comedy scene looks like the 80's wrestling scene, it's disgusting.