Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I have no idea what in the world city pop is but I follow Ship to Shore on Twitter and they seem to be reissuing stuff all the time.

https://twitter.com/stsphonoco/status/1271444057580089347?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Light in the Attic is reissuing Haruomi Hosono’s Pacific and The Aegean Sea among some other City Pop bops which is great news if you can look past the hard dicked price.

I assume that’s just the nature of Japanese music licensing, but $45 for a single LP still a pretty tough pill to swallow. I’ll either cave some late drunken evening or miss out again like I did for their Seaside Lovers LP.

Is any other major label reissuing City Pop albums that may be putting out some Tatsuro Yamashita stuff in the nearish future?

Big reason for the price is that they’re distributing it, not actually producing the reissue. It’s an import from Sony Japan.

Also, my label (Ship to Shore) releases the Seaside Lovers reissue and we are doing a lot of good city pop reissues later this year and into next.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ballz posted:

I have no idea what in the world city pop is but I follow Ship to Shore on Twitter and they seem to be reissuing stuff all the time.

https://twitter.com/stsphonoco/status/1271444057580089347?s=21

City Pop is basically Japanese soft rock/pop from the late 70s to 90s.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Big reason for the price is that they’re distributing it, not actually producing the reissue. It’s an import from Sony Japan.

Also, my label (Ship to Shore) releases the Seaside Lovers reissue and we are doing a lot of good city pop reissues later this year and into next.

Oh hey, didn't know we had someone here from Ship to Shore.

The copy of Mother my girlfriend ordered for my birthday finally arrived!

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Light in the Attic is reissuing Haruomi Hosono’s Pacific and The Aegean Sea among some other City Pop bops which is great news if you can look past the hard dicked price.

I assume that’s just the nature of Japanese music licensing, but $45 for a single LP still a pretty tough pill to swallow. I’ll either cave some late drunken evening or miss out again like I did for their Seaside Lovers LP.

Is any other major label reissuing City Pop albums that may be putting out some Tatsuro Yamashita stuff in the nearish future?

HMV JP just announced a bunch of reissues. Using a forwarder like Zenmarket can often end up cheaper if you're willing to wait a little on consolidating shipping.

Tats stuff is also super common if you wanted to use Zenmarket and Yahoo auctions

screaden fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 16, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

First new Microphones album in 17 years, baby!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I did snag the compilation Pacific Breeze 2 https://lightintheattic.net/releases/6673-pacific-breeze-2-japanese-city-pop-aor-boogie-1972-1986 which didn't seem like a terrible value.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If anyone is interested, Target is having a buy two get the third free sale on all music, movies and video games, and this includes vinyl. Pretty good deal if you've been looking to fill any gaps in your collection of more mainstream stuff.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I just got lita's first Pacific Breeze compilation in the mail yesterday. I turned around and ordered vol. 2 and Hosono's Pacific immediately. Their vinyl quality is A++.

Sorry S2S goon, I would have ordered from you had I known sooner that you guys were also distributing Pacific. I'll def keep you in mind for future purchases.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh sweet, we have a goon from Ship to Shore in here. The Darius record I got/posted on the last page is released by them and is cool and good.

OldSenileGuy posted:

If anyone is interested, Target is having a buy two get the third free sale on all music, movies and video games, and this includes vinyl. Pretty good deal if you've been looking to fill any gaps in your collection of more mainstream stuff.

Thanks for this. Not much at my local Target that I wanted (I can only buy the White Album, Abbey Road, and Queen's Greatest Hits so many times) but I was able to clean up on things my mom would like. Evidently me getting into vinyl is getting her back into it, so now she's the proud owner of Neil Diamond's Greatest Hits, Motown #1 hits, and Lady Ga Ga's latest thing.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
4 months of lockdown, in & out of furlough, working in horrible itchy masks and not one visit to a record shop - went on discogs while drunk and went slightly beserk

tasteful extension edit of No GDM

no outkast in my life since my copies of all their albums were nicked (along with everything else in my caselogic) circa 2001

cerrone's first sexploitation flick soundtrack, i already had the second one which leaves two more of his soundtracks to get - the pricey but decent Super Witch of Love Island and the unmitigated 80's SAW-esque poo poo of Dancing Machine which imdb doesn't even acknowledge existing

millenials can produce decent music after all it seems. also got the transparent blue 7" but its whereabouts escape me

sample tastic slab of Barry at the height of his power

gorgeous 70s danish psych-folk

accidental greatness from an italian jazz stalwart's disco cash-in record

this seller must have an old warehouse connection as nearly everything he lists is on RCA Victor and are all sealed cutouts

edgar allan poe poems over 60s psych-garage? what could go wrong? nothing

mental synth rock/jazz/funk experimental wailing type stuff. bangin

underrated parliament/funkadelic collaborator's last album before disappearing into the ether. Daryl Hall(!) features heavily

massive funk/breakdance tune on this - i already have a copy but it's crackly af despite many rides on the spinclean and the cover was disintegrating

it's no 'Birth Day' but it's got one or two good tunes and was only $10

Banano fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 16, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Banano posted:

4 months of lockdown, in & out of furlough, working in horrible itchy masks and not one visit to a record shop - went on discogs while drunk and went slightly beserk

I love your backdrop, love the haul, spending money on plastic discs is the way and the light

pwn
May 27, 2004

Speaking of which, tonight my buddy and i were talking and she showed me a selfie of herself in her bridesmaid dress and i said it was worthy of a thousand hard-ons, which led to a discussion of boogie nights and then magnolia and now we’ve both spent a collective $101.90 on this monstrosity

https://mondoshop.com/collections/all/products/magnolia-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-3xlp

Always be careful, casual pop culture references and easy access to the internet could leave you with a $51 crater in your savings account :shepicide:

Edit: spending half a C-note on the magnolia soundtrack is officially recognized as a White People Problem

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I got that one for my best friend for his birthday because I'm a cool dude. :coolspot:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

CPL593H posted:

Third Man is releasing a Stooges live album recorded in 1970 that's them performing all of the songs from Funhouse. IT's also soundboard sourced which isn't typical of Stooges live records. I'm pretty hyped.

Not interested until the Wayne coyne rerelease that comes with three razors, a broken bottle and a vial of iggy pops blood

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
That men I trust album is good as hell. Great vibes

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I got that one for my best friend for his birthday because I'm a cool dude. :coolspot:
:hfive:

As per usual with Mondo, discs 2 and 3 could have comfortably fit on one disc. But I digress

I also psot today’s haul, what for came in the mail today: Fresh from PIAPTK!

Boots released this on CD and cassette last January, but this is the long-awaited PIAPTK/Soild Gold vinyl release! With poster! And hidden bonus track!

Aaand the long-lost Sloppy Joe and the Cruise - Keep on Cruisin’!

quote:

I REALLY love this record. And the response to the soft-rollout of it has been incredible. If the first pressing sells out, we will probably do another run asap. This record needs to get out there and be heard!...

It's Jimmy Buffet meets Brian Wilson Meets Jerry Garcia. It's clever, self aware, self-deprecating, beautiful, funny, sad, and infectious. It was recorded in 1975 by a Key West slacker named “Sloppy” Joe Flappens, and sat on a shelf until a year and a half ago, when he passed away and it was sent to Doug O'Donnell (former Dr. Dog guitarist) as a condition of Joe's will. Joe and Doug met in 2004 at a bar after Doug played in Key West, and they became penpals. Below is the teaser. The full story is in the zine that is included with the record. bookshelf at Joe's house for 40 years. See the teaser story below....

About the Record:
-First Pressing Limited to 250 copies in die-cut covers.
-On Yellow with red fleck sunset vinyl.
- Includes a zine with images and what little information is known about “Sloppy Joe” Flappens and the recording session
- Includes a pack of custom Keep on Cruisin' rolling papers

After a show in Key West, FL, in 2004, Dr. Dog guitarist Doug O'Donnell wandered into a run down dive bar called Chart Room, and ordered a drink. There we only a handful of lonely regulars in the bar, but one of them came over and sat down next to Doug after hearing that he was a touring musician. For the next two hours, this skinny, scraggly bearded man, although in his mid-50s had the world weariness of someone far older, unrolled his own incredible history (while Doug unrolled the $5 bills of his tour per diem to keep them both in rum and cokes). This man was “Sloppy” Joe Flappen. In the late 70's, (as he told it), Sloppy Joe was one of the kings of the Southern Florida Beach Bar scene. He had a band, “The Cruise”, that would pack houses all the area, long before Jimmy Buffet's “Margaritaville” would bring Tropical Rock to the masses. Buffett and Flappen were working the same circuit, and, while not exactly friends (there was, unshockingly, a “woman to blame” for this), they occasionally played together. Joe gave him a copy of the record that night (dubbed over a Dan Fogelberg cassette), which became a favorite in the Dr Dog tour van. Joe and Doug continued to be penpals for the next decade, but eventually lost touch. When Joe passed away in 2018, he left the master tapes to Keep on Cruisin' to Doug, along with a note asking him to get it out to anyone who might care. So that is what we are trying to do.

As Mike Dixon is wont to do, he offered a free bonus lathe-cut with purchase... under one condition:

quote:

The Sloppy Joe and the Cruise “Strong and Fruity Booze” Challenge: Get a FREE copy of the “Dedication” Lathe Cut (PLEASE do NOT add this item to your cart if you do not plan to do the challenge within 24 hours, and make sure you use ALL the correct tags and hashtags, and that I can connect your name with yr IG handle somehow). You can also uplaod to Youtube and send me a link.

(made to order, this is the ONLY way to get it) with the purchase of Keep on Cruisin'....
In the song “What Was In That Drink?” (available to stream here), Joe mixes up a drink from random stuff he has around. That's all you have to. Mix up a “Fruity drink” from whatever you have at home (Mocktails welcome if you aren't a drinker). And Post it on Instagram ON YOUR FEED, (not as a story), with the tags #KeepOnCruisin and #PIAPTK and tag @PIAPTK. Make sure I can figure out your name inside your post so I can match it with your order. Hashtag your name if need be. THEN, add the free lathe cut to your order when you buy Keep On Cruisin' so I know to look for your post. The bonus lathe cut is ONLY available to people who post it with the appropriate tags.

So I did the video. And against better judgment, and because FYAD and Helldump are both long gone, I’m posting it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-DFS1iEqdY

Yeah ok so he sent the single!

And the rolling papers!

But forgot the zine. I emailed him and I trust I will have it soon.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

OldSenileGuy posted:

Amazon is price matching with their own "buy 3 for the price of 2" deal as well. I think I might nab a couple of Tone Poet selections.

I also discovered that Target has a pretty broad selection of vinyl but you gotta search for specific titles to get them to show up; I didn't see them listed on their vinyl page.

Edit: While similar, Amazon doesn't have everything Target does -- the RTJ4 deluxe edition pre-order is part of the Target promo but not Amazon's, for example.

I ended up going with RTJ4 deluxe, Herbie Hancock's The Prisoner and Hank Mobley's Poppin' for $70, shipping included. Not bad at all.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 17, 2020

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Got two new ones in the other day. Swing Tournament spent 37 days sitting in Chicago for no reason according to the tracking.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It must be double album day. I'll see your rare vaporwave and raise you stoner metal:

No joke those vaporwave albums are pretty cool from what I heard so far after googling them up. I've got a friend way deep into it that would love them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LastGoodBoy posted:

Got two new ones in the other day. Swing Tournament spent 37 days sitting in Chicago for no reason according to the tracking.

My copy of Swing Tournament came in yesterday too. Nice score on Yes! We're Open.

I'm still waiting on my copy of K-Mart that I ordered in March.

Did you order Koala Corp yesterday?

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 21, 2020

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I still haven't gotten my silly David Lynch single. :smith:

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Ballz posted:

I still haven't gotten my silly David Lynch single. :smith:

Me either

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

My copy of Swing Tournament came in yesterday too. Nice score on Yes! We're Open.

I'm still waiting on my copy of K-Mart that I ordered in March.

Did you order Koala Corp yesterday?

No, only other record I have in the mail right now is the red planet variant of Palm Mall Mars. Managed to snag one in the four minute window before they all sold out a couple months ago.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got lucky with that too.

Miami Virtual is coming to vinyl next month. I'm looking forward to that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Got my zine on Saturday

gallery with all the pages

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oh hey weird question/request: I can’t recall if anyone here is from Britain, or the UK, but I have a Belle and Sebastian print ordered from Germany right before Germany stopped sending parcels to the US back in April, and me and the seller are waiting to see if Deutschepost starts shipping to the US again. They do however mail to the UK, and the UK mails to the US. So is anyone here from the UK and loves extra hassle?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Germany is shipping to the US again afaik

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Where do you guys get your Vaporwave news?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Twitter and hundreds of Bandcamp emails.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

pwn posted:

Oh hey weird question/request: I can’t recall if anyone here is from Britain, or the UK, but I have a Belle and Sebastian print ordered from Germany right before Germany stopped sending parcels to the US back in April, and me and the seller are waiting to see if Deutschepost starts shipping to the US again. They do however mail to the UK, and the UK mails to the US. So is anyone here from the UK and loves extra hassle?

Deutschepost is delivering to the US again, provided the seller uses their premium intl service instead of standard international. Expect it to take a while. I have had a Greek record sitting in Chicago for nearly a month. You might be better off if the seller can ship via DHL because it won't take nearly as long to get through customs.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For all intents and purposes Deutschepost is DHL, and yeah currently Germany to USA is premium parcel only. That's at least an extra €16 on postage, although that might not be all that more expensive than sending it to the UK then from there to the US, if you're dead set on it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Twitter and hundreds of Bandcamp emails.

E: I was going to blankpost this, but here's my inbox on an average Friday.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 22, 2020

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Oh, and speaking of Palm Mall Mars, I just checked my mailbox.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Are you in Europe? Looks like I'll be waiting for a while.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

No, Washington state. They started going out here a little while ago. You should get yours soon, I would figure.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

LastGoodBoy posted:

E: I was going to blankpost this, but here's my inbox on an average Friday.

This seems like a nightmare. The only Bandcamp emails I ever get are from OESB who stole my money and wants me to pay for the record again from some guy in the UK and then the occasional Kikagaku Moyo announcement message.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

It's not as bad as it looks. I buy a lot of physical music from these notifications, so it gives me something to check at work and make impulse buys on. I picked up vcr-classique's "atlantic memories" that way.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

Deutschepost is delivering to the US again, provided the seller uses their premium intl service instead of standard international. Expect it to take a while. I have had a Greek record sitting in Chicago for nearly a month. You might be better off if the seller can ship via DHL because it won't take nearly as long to get through customs.

My Lovely Horse posted:

For all intents and purposes Deutschepost is DHL, and yeah currently Germany to USA is premium parcel only. That's at least an extra €16 on postage, although that might not be all that more expensive than sending it to the UK then from there to the US, if you're dead set on it.

Yeah we had discussed the premium service, and it’s $60... that’s what the damned print cost.

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looks like my Palm Mall Mars did come in after all.