Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh god, that face when he realizes Snap chat isn't as temporary as she thought.

https://twitter.com/BRlFFGRAFF/status/1274437073177468928?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1274723524184285187?s=20

what's interesting is he's on twitter (someone is on his account anyway) doing a whole alibi thing so who knows

https://deadline.com/2020/06/justin-bieber-denies-sexual-assault-allegation-legal-action-1202965595/

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 22, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
At first glance that seems like a pretty strong alibi.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This is so aggressively refuted by Bieber it's almost like its a false flag operation set up to give him cover for any real assaults by pointing back and going "we'd already did this once, all the other women are liars we don't feel the need to prove it again"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I am instantly ready to believe any story of Justin Bieber being terrible, but wow that is an airtight alibi.

Edit:

Like, unless I'm missing something, which maybe I am, this is the first celebrity sexual assault allegation I've seen where it genuinely seems like the guy didn't do it. There is just an almost comical amount of evidence supporting his innocence here.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 22, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most verifiably false sexual assault accusations, which are a rare thing, are generally really, super obvious.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

pentyne posted:

This is so aggressively refuted by Bieber it's almost like its a false flag operation set up to give him cover for any real assaults by pointing back and going "we'd already did this once, all the other women are liars we don't feel the need to prove it again"

I mean I don’t want to be a broken record but can we please please please just stick to the facts here

Believe women doesn’t mean “and when a man denies it with airtight evidence I invent a fantasyland conspiracy theory where Bieber false flag #metoos himself”

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah we don't need to talk about false flags when this really is just a false allegation. They happen rarely but they do still happen and if I was in Biebers position to so thoroughly refute it with evidence then I would as well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most verifiably false sexual assault accusations, which are a rare thing, are generally really, super obvious.

Yeah if its fake it generally falls apart at the slightest scrutiny, like the Rolling Stone story.

teacup posted:

I mean I don’t want to be a broken record but can we please please please just stick to the facts here

Believe women doesn’t mean “and when a man denies it with airtight evidence I invent a fantasyland conspiracy theory where Bieber false flag #metoos himself”

I was being facetious, it's pretty clear his team, legal or whatnot, is really going all in on pushing back on this and yeah he has a loving volume of evidence and compiled everything from receipts and photos to random tweets from people linking his location to the hotel at a certain as being mistaken.

He says he never responded to this allegations before so going in so aggressively is pretty telling. This is just the first time I can remember seeing someone go at their accusers 100% and it not being a shame/delaying tactic to try and cover-up a crime.

The other woman who accused him at the same time is in for a world of problems because even if he doesn't refute her a ton of stuff her being linked temporally to the first women is going result in her being classed in the same category.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 22, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hasn't this happened specifically with Beiber before? I seen to recall an accusation where he had evidence he was in another country at the time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Skwirl posted:

Yeaaaah that's the reaction of someone who just realized they're in deep poo poo for something they've done on snapchat. Of course the first guess wouldn't have been "dude's a paedophile" but we should've known he was up to some poo poo he shouldn't have been.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God drat the other people talking in that clip are also trash

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Skwirl posted:

Haha, that's awesome, gently caress that guy, anyone with that reaction deserves whatever comes their way.

On that note, response from the comedian who made Chris semi-famous by putting him on her sitcom (at least that's where I first saw him).

https://twitter.com/WhitneyCummings/status/1274407841571299328

I find it somewhat hard to believe she didn't know, based on what I've read about how apparently everyone knew, but whatever.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 22, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Hasn't this happened specifically with Beiber before? I seen to recall an accusation where he had evidence he was in another country at the time.

This is right on the heels of someone accusing the main 4 cast of Riverdale of assaulting someone at a party that blew up and quickly turned into some weird "lol I got you all" prank.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I know we're stretching the definition of Hollywood with this one but uh fwiw I overheard Max Landis talk about writing a treatment for a Magic TG movie?

https://twitter.com/BettyDesuJiang/status/1274500596570021888?s=20

https://twitter.com/arvalis/status/1274765367957573632?s=20

https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1274847078997467138?s=20

https://twitter.com/Velinxi/status/1274718029809623042?s=20

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2anWvbM0KY

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Haha, that's awesome, gently caress that guy, anyone with that reaction deserves whatever comes their way.

On that note, response from the comedian who made Chris semi-famous by putting him on her sitcom (at least that's where I first saw him).

https://twitter.com/WhitneyCummings/status/1274407841571299328

I find it somewhat hard to believe she didn't know, based on what I've read about how apparently everyone knew, but whatever.

I hate that last sentence. It comes up over and over when these accusations come out and any of these dudes happen to have a woman in their professional or personal circle.

It may surprise you, but women aren't psychic. These men are canny if not always smart. They know how to hide their predatory behavior from women that aren't their flavor of victim. Many do it on purpose so that they have a shield - "Oh well that women likes him, maybe those rumors aren't true after all. I mean, she would know if they were right?" It's a hunting strategy.

And this may also surprise you but people are often hesitant to tell other people their friends are predatory. Especially if they think they already know or if they don't have any proof. Plus his targets were teenage girls and the people who seemed to be aware of this open secret were either also gross dudebros or not neccessarily on the same professional level as Cummings and may have thought telling her would blow up their career as she was apparently friends with that guy.

It's just another way of deflecting responsibility and blame from men's behavior to women.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

KitConstantine posted:

I hate that last sentence. It comes up over and over when these accusations come out and any of these dudes happen to have a woman in their professional or personal circle.

It may surprise you, but women aren't psychic. These men are canny if not always smart. They know how to hide their predatory behavior from women that aren't their flavor of victim. Many do it on purpose so that they have a shield - "Oh well that women likes him, maybe those rumors aren't true after all. I mean, she would know if they were right?" It's a hunting strategy.

And this may also surprise you but people are often hesitant to tell other people their friends are predatory. Especially if they think they already know or if they don't have any proof. Plus his targets were teenage girls and the people who seemed to be aware of this open secret were either also gross dudebros or not neccessarily on the same professional level as Cummings and may have thought telling her would blow up their career as she was apparently friends with that guy.

It's just another way of deflecting responsibility and blame from men's behavior to women.

Fair point, most of the people I'm seeing who seem to have known what he did were other gross dudebros, and I don't know the circles comedians travel in. I shouldn't have assumed. Apologies.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

thrawn527 posted:

Fair point, most of the people I'm seeing who seem to have known what he did were other gross dudebros, and I don't know the circles comedians travel in. I shouldn't have assumed. Apologies.

Yes and no. Like you I learned about Chris from the show “Whitney.” Here’s the thing though: I’ve found comedians to be extremely close-knit. If you look at like, Chelsea Peretti, Joe Mande, Aziz Ansari, and John Mulaney’s careers, you’ll see there’s a ton of intermingling and being put on by one another.

Same with the 90s alt-scene and people like Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, and a bunch of folks that were on Mr. Show.

So, I’m saying that Chris gets “Whitney” because he’s tight w Whitney. HOWEVER, this is like... 2011 and he wasn’t really anywhere. Basically, if it started up post-“Whitney”, I can see her not knowing, but if he has been doing it his whole career, I think it’s hard to deny ANY knowledge of it.

Does she know? I don’t know and that’s hers and maybe Chris’ to know, but I also don’t think it’s wrong to ask her “wait, really?”

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yes and no. Like you I learned about Chris from the show “Whitney.” Here’s the thing though: I’ve found comedians to be extremely close-knit. If you look at like, Chelsea Peretti, Joe Mande, Aziz Ansari, and John Mulaney’s careers, you’ll see there’s a ton of intermingling and being put on by one another.

Same with the 90s alt-scene and people like Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, and a bunch of folks that were on Mr. Show.

So, I’m saying that Chris gets “Whitney” because he’s tight w Whitney. HOWEVER, this is like... 2011 and he wasn’t really anywhere. Basically, if it started up post-“Whitney”, I can see her not knowing, but if he has been doing it his whole career, I think it’s hard to deny ANY knowledge of it.

Does she know? I don’t know and that’s hers and maybe Chris’ to know, but I also don’t think it’s wrong to ask her “wait, really?”

You can ask, but it's not like Chris and other male comedians wouldn't be aware that women would be likely to disapprove of his behavior/call him out and were more careful about discussing it around her/other women. This comes up again and again in multiple fields - gross men have a few token women in their circle as a shield and are careful not to drop mask around them. Something gross comes out and those women are asked "Well why didn't you know he was gross??" Um, because these men are fully capable of not behaving in a gross way when they want to? They aren't assaulting/sexually harassing the men they work with/are friends with either because they aren't their preferred victims/they have something to gain from them

There's also the additional pressure in the comedy circuit for women to just put up with gross stuff since it's such a male dominated industry. Can we say Louis C. K.?

I'm not saying women in abuser's circles are always unaware. Some may be unwilling to rock the boat if all they have are rumors. But I do think it's really gross how people assume the women in these situations "must know" and by implication must have stood by and done nothing. I don't like how people are so willing to shift some of the blame from the man doing the actions to women, even by implication.

Here's the thing - even if they did know HE is still the abuser. It shouldn't be the responsibility of the women in the room to call out abusers for being abusive at their own personal and professional risk. For a long time the consequence for women speaking up to people in the same industry (even more so the media) about a broken stair was professional suicide.

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 22, 2020

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I don't know. People get to be predators because they're good at hiding that from the other people in their life.

Short of walking in on him or always seeing a 16 year old on his arm I'm not sure what other people are supposed to 'know' in these circumstances.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
From personal experience I worked with and was friendly with a guy for a number of years and then it came out he was a convicted pedophile and was abusing a kid again. No one suspected and in retrospect there were things he said and did that made it more obvious something was up but it's real easy to not see signs when you're not looking for them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Narcissists and predators (lots of overlap) are extremely good at code-switching and compartmentalising, and making their behaviour seem acceptable in the moment. Or just getting leverage over people.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Conflating people with narcissistic personality disorder and predators is gross.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Boywhiz88 posted:

The thing that I’ve noticed is that if they are an abuser, they end up being a serial abuser and have lots of allegations pop-up. Not to say that every situation is like that, but the ones that get away with it once or twice then think they can get away with it always. And then you break open the floodgates and you get a hundred stories and at least a few have evidence, etc. that can’t be refuted.

Honestly, it's like drunk driving. You have to be so inhumanly unlucky to get caught your first and only time, and whatever thought pattern trickled through your broken brain to make something like that seem alright is probably the sort of thing that's going to happen more than once. If you've already made peace with doing an absolutely awful thing you in no way have to do ever, why would you stop after one occasion?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Conflating people with narcissistic personality disorder and predators is gross.

Hard agree. Being an abuser doesn't mean you have a mental illness and vice versa.

Abuse is not an illness. It's not something these people are forced to do (no matter what they may claim). It's a choice these people make over and over to put their wants ahead of other people's well-being. Don't absolve them of a single ounce of responsibility for the harm they do.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

KitConstantine posted:

You can ask, but it's not like Chris and other male comedians wouldn't be aware that women would be likely to disapprove of his behavior/call him out and were more careful about discussing it around her/other women. This comes up again and again in multiple fields - gross men have a few token women in their circle as a shield and are careful not to drop mask around them. Something gross comes out and those women are asked "Well why didn't you know he was gross??" Um, because these men are fully capable of not behaving in a gross way when they want to? They aren't assaulting/sexually harassing the men they work with/are friends with either because they aren't their preferred victims/they have something to gain from them

There's also the additional pressure in the comedy circuit for women to just put up with gross stuff since it's such a male dominated industry. Can we say Louis C. K.?

I'm not saying women in abuser's circles are always unaware. Some may be unwilling to rock the boat if all they have are rumors. But I do think it's really gross how people assume the women in these situations "must know" and by implication must have stood by and done nothing. I don't like how people are so willing to shift some of the blame from the man doing the actions to women, even by implication.

Here's the thing - even if they did know HE is still the abuser. It shouldn't be the responsibility of the women in the room to call out abusers for being abusive at their own personal and professional risk. For a long time the consequence for women speaking up to people in the same industry (even more so the media) about a broken stair was professional suicide.

Absolutely! I think I’d sum up my view as “ask her but respect what she says.” But ultimately it’s the predator at fault and gently caress Chris d’Elia sideways. Also that Joey Diaz clip I posted earlier. It’s so horrific, and everyone in it is so casual.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
I mean that Joey Diaz clip is just the tip of the iceberg. Guy was an actual drug dealing criminal who kidnapped a dude in the 80s.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Another thing to add to this, from what I understand, a lot of comedians are on the road 9-10 months a year only staying in one place long enough to try and get a TV gig during pilot season. I can easily see most of this behavior going on when they're on the road and only in the town for 1-2 nights, thats part of the appeal. And then calming down when they're stationary and surrounded by other comics because there's a higher chance of running into your victim again.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/bobby/status/1275271219873484801

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
"My wife also went to Paedo Island and I can prove it."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1275491491914420225?s=20

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

As a further apology for my previous post, I present this good point.

https://twitter.com/WhitneyCummings/status/1275490392733921280

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm not surprised.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I wonder if those types of men break into porn to get away with sexual assault, or if being in porn just makes them feel jaded and entitled. Little column A, little column B?

"Buyer's remorse", jesus gently caress you Ron.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Well I guess I have to get rid of my copy of Baby Driver AND Super Hornio Bro’s

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Bill Cosby has been granted an appeal by the Pennsylvania Supreme court and his scumbag lawyer is still out there with the same song and dance about his rapist client being the victim of a conspiracy because he's a wealthy black man. My wife has been raging all afternoon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bill really should have the decency to die behind bars.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

There’s a whole firesale going on in arts and entertainment. All Hollywood adjacent so they might be better as a digest post but there’s literally too much to wrangle so I might post as I find them

https://twitter.com/betterthemask/status/1275497246151397377?s=21

A friend of mine posted about her time at weta

https://twitter.com/laynalazar/status/1275252990916481024?s=21

Wizards cutting ties with the guy I posted earlier

https://twitter.com/hipstersmtg/status/1275188469145440256?s=21

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

King Vidiot posted:

I wonder if those types of men break into porn to get away with sexual assault, or if being in porn just makes them feel jaded and entitled. Little column A, little column B?

"Buyer's remorse", jesus gently caress you Ron.

Porn industry has some lovely attitudes about sexuality and consent, surprise surprise