Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

adoration for none posted:

Make sure the dice is only fibonacci numbers!

Just lol if your company hasn't dropped the mask entirely and made them count as "workhour estimates" "according to the average engineer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergei...gative-balance/

tl;dr 20-year-old college kid kills himself after Robinhood shows (erroneously) that he's $730,000 in debt

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Sage Grimm posted:

Just lol if your company hasn't dropped the mask entirely and made them count as "workhour estimates" "according to the average engineer"

We paid that consultant a lot of money. You just expect not to do exactly what he says regardless of how stupid it is?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Tarezax posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergei...gative-balance/

tl;dr 20-year-old college kid kills himself after Robinhood shows (erroneously) that he's $730,000 in debt

It wasn't erroneous, it was that the nature of his trades could cause a negative balance that far exceeded what would ever be collected for the period of time between the first option closing and the second option closing.

For a platform that targets inexperienced traders though the lack of context is an absolutely horrific UI failure.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

pentyne posted:

It's almost like Uber's CIO trying to dig up dirt on a rape victim to smear her and protect the company normalized this behavior.

Execs acting like pieces of poo poo didn't start with Uber. A good notable one is a bunch of execs from Hubspot (including the CEO) extorting, threatening, and attempting to hack someone who wrote a mean book about them. The execs in question are all gainfully employed as execs elsewhere, of course. (The CEO isn't elsewhere and is still at HubSpot).

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...dwJI/story.html

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

blunt posted:

It wasn't erroneous, it was that the nature of his trades could cause a negative balance that far exceeded what would ever be collected for the period of time between the first option closing and the second option closing.
Yeah, despite wanting apps to be made illegal and all tech CEOs jailed I don't really see Robinhood being at fault here. The guy was clearly looking for a suicide excuse that wouldn't cause his family too much anguish, didn't even read the docs or, I don't know, call his financial analyst cousin-in-law to ask what does the red number mean

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Ruffian Price posted:

Yeah, despite wanting apps to be made illegal and all tech CEOs jailed I don't really see Robinhood being at fault here. The guy was clearly looking for a suicide excuse that wouldn't cause his family too much anguish, didn't even read the docs or, I don't know, call his financial analyst cousin-in-law to ask what does the red number mean

Maybe people don't think rationally when an app shows an erroneous negative balance in the hundreds of thousands in dark red?

You could also pin this on Robinhood having non-existent customer support—no phone number, and an email system that takes weeks to give you a canned response.

At the very best, this is extremely negligent UI design, given that Robinhood is targeted at people who, like Kearns, have no clue what they're doing.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Without necessarily suggesting that there should be charges per se, the potential effects of negligent UX need to be taken more seriously.

Like Ragnar suggests, a design review that asks hey what is the psychological impact of displaying an enormous, negative red number to a young person (which is the computer knows) who doesn't have many assets (which the computer also knows) could save lives.

It's also not exclusively the UX - what onboarding material was there? also even a loving video game will show a tooltip of some kind when a new type of information is presented

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Planning out design issues before launch is the old way of engineering.
Engineering today is all about moving fast and breaking things (peoples lives)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Marenghi posted:

Planning out design issues before launch is the old way of engineering.
Engineering today is all about moving fast and breaking things (peoples lives)

Engineers have always moved fast and broke things, its just that lovely engineering gets forgotten about unless it kills a historically newsworthy amount of people.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Ruffian Price posted:

This is super loving gross

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snackmar posted:

Without necessarily suggesting that there should be charges per se, the potential effects of negligent UX need to be taken more seriously.

Like Ragnar suggests, a design review that asks hey what is the psychological impact of displaying an enormous, negative red number to a young person (which is the computer knows) who doesn't have many assets (which the computer also knows) could save lives.

It's also not exclusively the UX - what onboarding material was there? also even a loving video game will show a tooltip of some kind when a new type of information is presented

Targeting anti‐suicide features based on demographics is on‐brand for the tech nightmare.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

OctaMurk posted:

Engineers have always moved fast and broke things, its just that lovely engineering gets forgotten about unless it kills a historically newsworthy amount of people.

Engineering is just science but you kinda half-rear end things and hope the real world doesn't care too much about those numbers you rounded.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Feinne posted:

Engineering is just science but you kinda half-rear end things and hope the real world doesn't care too much about those numbers you rounded.

Well yeah, we live in reality. You can't get perfect information on something, just information that you can determine to be good enough. Bench tests will only get you so far, and unfortunately regulations are written in blood. Sometimes a specific failure mode or issue doesn't crop up until it kills someone, and that's usually because something unusual was introduced (extreme conditions, strange use cases, poor manufacturing/maintenance, etc.).

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Feinne posted:

Science and engineering are the opposite of each other.

Modern science depends on a lot of very sophisticated engineering, but the whole point is to conduct experiments on unknown things and push limits. In science, your experiments might have expected outcomes, but they'll never have known outcomes. Engineering is about taking the known limits that science has figured out, and using them to design things that won't break. In engineering, your designs had better be based on known, tested outcomes, or you're going to get sued.

The world would be a better place if more engineers understood that they are not scientists.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
And then there’s concurrent development.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Can we apply agile to constructing buildings?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Can we apply agile to constructing buildings?

Hyatt Regency, KC

Hard Rock, NOLA

Sampoong Department Store, Seoul

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1271849184627322885

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Facebook is an instrument of fascism and nazism. Just like IBM.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Wondered what Marissa Mayer was up to. She's at a tiny startup shoehorning AI into stuff.

https://www.lumilabs.com

quote:

At Lumi Labs, we see a tremendous opportunity to apply artificial intelligence to everyday, mundane problems: keeping contact information up-to-date, scheduling, making plans, forming groups for communication and sharing. All of these tasks are important, but they are tedious, repetitive, and error-prone when done manually — the perfect types of tasks for which to use AI.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

Wondered what Marissa Mayer was up to. She's at a tiny startup shoehorning AI into stuff.

https://www.lumilabs.com

doesnt normal tech already do boring stuff like this good? and mistakes being between the chair and keyboard?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

doesnt normal tech already do boring stuff like this good? and mistakes being between the chair and keyboard?

yeah, there's no reason to turn AI loose on things that are easily handled by scripts. there's no great technical achievement here, they're just shopping around for customers who want to save on labor costs by (poorly) automating away slightly more complicated office drudgery

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Let me guess, it requires all your data to be on their specific cloud based storage solution, and migrating either needs to be done manually or is a horribly broken automated process. Also, if it does get big, they don't have the security in place to prevent a data breach.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
RIP Mixer

https://twitter.com/BearUNLV/status/1275143945417142277

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
probably should check the LP forum, but has Mixer or Zuckgaming been particularly successful?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PhazonLink posted:

probably should check the LP forum, but has Mixer or Zuckgaming been particularly successful?

It's had the lowest growth of any streaming service to date.

I copied a graph of their market growth bit it's on my home pc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

Since Shroud is called out as one of the two anchors - When shroud duos with his girlfriend (bnans) who is on twitch she jumps several thousand to have more viewers than him. Shroud used to have like 20k+ on twitch, now more like 4k. When they were streaming Tarkov on Saturday according to twitchtracker she had ~5500 when he had 3500. Before shroud moved to twitch she'd have more like 500 viewers.

Facebook gaming might as well not exist.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Found it:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh yeah youttube streaming exist too.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The real crazy part of this story is how much money Ninja and Shroud were making:

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1275145243478892544?s=19

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It’s important to call out Facebook employees though. Facebook is a collection of employees who choose to work for and support evil each day.

They are all fascists, nazis, and white supremacists, or they’ve decided getting paid by fb is worth accepting any of those.

Either way, they’re fascists, nazis, and white supremacists. Every single one of them.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ketchup vs catsup posted:

It’s important to call out Facebook employees though. Facebook is a collection of employees who choose to work for and support evil each day.

They are all fascists, nazis, and white supremacists, or they’ve decided getting paid by fb is worth accepting any of those.

Either way, they’re fascists, nazis, and white supremacists. Every single one of them.

Facebook has more nonwhite employees than white employees

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They should rethink whether they want to continue working for a leadership team that isn’t required to provide a home for white supremacy on the Internet, but is extremely cool with doing so.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

adoration for none posted:

The real crazy part of this story is how much money Ninja and Shroud were making:

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1275145243478892544?s=19

"Free agents"
On a video streaming platform...

:thunk:

Do you think they could qualify for SAG SWG Union membership?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is like the take that was going around shortly after the murder of George Floyd that was like “You can’t say that all cops are bastards! Many cops are PoCs!”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

This is like the take that was going around shortly after the murder of George Floyd that was like “You can’t say that all cops are bastards! Many cops are PoCs!”

I mean, is it actually valuable to view all the problems of the world as being the result of secret nazis lurking everywhere? The CEO is a jewish man and a majority of the employees are asian, there has been bad things in this world that aren't connected to nazis before.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I remember going to a conference for PoC in tech last year hosted at the Facebook offices in Menlo Park, and one of the black employees did some slam poetry where he referenced Atlas Shrugged positively

Draw whatever conclusions you want from this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
There are unfortunately a lot of Asian people who are on board with white supremacy. My mom told me about how a lot of people on chinese-language social media were posting that the murder of George Floyd was justified.