Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

“You hated me enough to kill me... Isn't that right?”

“...That's... true...”

“Ahaha... Ahahahaha...!!”

• Safalin gives the results and begins Nao's execution here; this is the same regardless of whether you vote for Kanna or Sou.

“W... Wait!! Stop it already!! Please, Safalin...!!”

“............”

“Please move aside... I need to activate the device...”

“Don't kill Sou... Don't kill our ally!! Please...!!”

“You don't have any last words, do you...?”

“I will begin the execut...”

Music stops.

“Huh...?”

“Your collar...?!”

“Wha...?!”

Music stops.

Some sort of premonition is calling me.

Investigate Sou.

"Sou!!”

Sou's body is limp.

"...No...!! You can't!! Even after you got your collar off...?! You said you wouldn't let the kidnappers do what they wanted, right?! Please... please, respond...!!”

I keep shaking him, but he isn't moving a muscle.

"...No...”

"...Aaa... aa... h... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...!!”

(Even... Sou... Everyone just keeps dying... Whatever I do, as much as I struggle...)

(I'm powerless... I can't... Stand up... anymore...)

I hear a noise from the monitor.[/i]

(Why is this on, I wonder... No, that doesn't matter... I don't want to think anymore... Nothing is going to change now. My actions can't affect anything...)

Just like Sou here...

(...?)

Something's off... Why is Sou in this position?

(Don't tell me, Sou was... Trying... to use this machine?)

(Did Sou turn on this monitor...? But for what...?)

I looked at the monitor.

"...Wha...?”

Is this some kind of joke again...? There was a familiar face.

"...Joe...”

Inconceivable... It's another hallucination. I've finally broken down.

But that doesn't matter to me right now.

"Joe...!! Is that you, Joe?!”

"I...! I...!!”

"I...!! I couldn't do anything!!”

"But... but still... I vowed to everyone that we would escape together...”

"And yet they've... they've kept dying!! Professor Mishima, and Kai, and Reko, and Nao, and Sou...!!”

"I can't do anything...!!”

Music stops.

"...Joe...”

"I-I mean...!”

"W... why... You're so cold... Joe...”

"..........”

• Kind of morbidly curious about what Joe's talking about here; despite being a fairly important character, we don't really know much about him.

"..........”

"...Grati... tude...?”

"...Joe...”

"...”

"...Aah... S... So cheeky... When you're... Joe, of all people...”

"...Ha... haha...”

“And also... Sou...”

(It was always clinging to me...)

"Sara!"

"...I'm okay now.”

"Big sis Sara!”

"That look on yer face...”

"Listen to me, everyone. We aren't going to kill each other anymore.”

"...!”

"They won't make us do that ever again...!”

"I'm going to end the Death Game...!!”

"...Wahaha...”

Everyone is prepared. We won't lose our way.

Music stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
...well, it looks like we have our new primary antagonist.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

We definitely made the right choice.

But man, chapter 3 is going to be interesting. There's got to be pretty much two plot lines from here, right? With some variation on Reko/Alice each way, too.

I notice Papa Chidouin is wearing a collar too.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So that's pretty much confirmation that Sou made the Joe AI.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
drat, they did a good job with that. I got chills. Honestly, whenever I hear the music from here on, just gonna be thinking of... all this, you know? Need to find where to get it so I can listen more.

Wish I could vote on this thread more than once.

Doobeedoo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 21, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hypocrisy posted:

So that's pretty much confirmation that Sou made the Joe AI.

My read of it is that there were two Joe AIs prepped, like there were multiple Mishimas. All Sou did was turn one on rather than the other. Alternatively, Joe AI might've legit just been utterly disgusted by Sara killing Kanna.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
My read is that there was enough data collected to have a Joe AI (else why was there a doll?) but they never actually bothered putting it together, and Sou did that. Then in the Kanna ending he added his malicious code on top? Or he'd already done that and in this ending his final act was removing the bits he layered over the top of it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Kinda crazy that Sou was able to remove his collar though, he really was a smart guy.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

My read is that there was enough data collected to have a Joe AI (else why was there a doll?) but they never actually bothered putting it together, and Sou did that. Then in the Kanna ending he added his malicious code on top? Or he'd already done that and in this ending his final act was removing the bits he layered over the top of it.

I think he finished the AI and made it either malicious or supportive depending on the route. I doubt he'd done it before then.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Who's this "Sou" you keep talking about? The guys' name was Shin Tsukimi.

...that makes me remember. Sou Hiyori was a real person, if Alice went to prison for killing him. But how did Shin know about him? Was taking Sou's name unintentional or accidental, a coincidence? Did Shin know Sou?

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Junpei posted:

Who's this "Sou" you keep talking about? The guys' name was Shin Tsukimi.

...that makes me remember. Sou Hiyori was a real person, if Alice went to prison for killing him. But how did Shin know about him? Was taking Sou's name unintentional or accidental, a coincidence? Did Shin know Sou?

He's wearing the guy's scarf; I think it's pretty safe to assume there's no coincidences here.

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

Yeah, voting for Shin seems to objectively be the better ending here. I wonder if the overall end you receive will depend on who you choose to survive (making there optimal choices in the Reko/Alice and Shin/Kanna decisions) or not. Or maybe they'll just kill off the other halves in chapter 3 so it winds up a moot point.

I agree that this chapter made Keiji look suspicious as well; I'm waiting for either him or Gin to betray the group somehow for maximum heartbreak. Also... if Sara's dad was in on everything, is that how Kai got found out by the organization?

Lots to think about - it's just a shame it might be a while before we get answers, if only the first half of 3-1 is out so far!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Wait a second. Has it been addressed that Sou Hiroyi, the person that Alice murdered, the person who was definitely 100% dead and Alice went to prison for killing, is included in this death game?

Shin had to wipe his name off of the bar's board, hide any existence of himself, to take on the persona of Sou. Who should be dead already. How does that click with the rest of the death game?

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

thecluckmeme posted:

Wait a second. Has it been addressed that Sou Hiroyi, the person that Alice murdered, the person who was definitely 100% dead and Alice went to prison for killing, is included in this death game?

Shin had to wipe his name off of the bar's board, hide any existence of himself, to take on the persona of Sou. Who should be dead already. How does that click with the rest of the death game?

Shin wiped his own name off of the board and wrote Sou in its place. I'm not sure how Sou is otherwise connected to this game, but it doesn't seem like he was counted in the 20 participants on either the board or otherwise.

EDIT: Unless you're asking why the game masters didn't just use "SHIN" in place of "SOU" whenever possible... which is a good question.

differentiating fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 21, 2020

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
I'm honestly surprised we had people vote to kill Kanna. And after seeing the results of the path we chose, I'm very glad that most worked out the logic. Now Sara's gotten what she really needed from Joe, and she can be stronger for the trials to come.

But I have to note that I really wish we could've saved Nao. Though I suppose she's happy where she's at now.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

differentiating posted:

EDIT: Unless you're asking why the game masters didn't just use "SHIN" in place of "SOU" whenever possible... which is a good question.

I suspect given it's a test ground for something... they saw what he was doing and decide it's a valid strategy

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

I'm honestly surprised we had people vote to kill Kanna. And after seeing the results of the path we chose, I'm very glad that most worked out the logic. Now Sara's gotten what she really needed from Joe, and she can be stronger for the trials to come.

But I have to note that I really wish we could've saved Nao. Though I suppose she's happy where she's at now.

We could!
It's even an ending!

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Looks like this was the right choice. RIP Shin/Sou.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

As mentioned earlier, I'd like to take a vote what the LP should cover next.

Part of 3-1 is out and has been translated into English. Originally 3-1 was due to be released on the 25th February, I think, to coincide with a manga release. There were some issues, and only the first thirty minutes of 3-1 were released. A couple of days later and the rest of what is called 3-1A was released. The rest of 3-1 was supposed to follow a week or so later. Unfortunately, Nankidai has had issues with a hernia, and, as of the time of typing this, there is no release time frame for the rest of 3-1; it could be in six days or six months.

I am wondering, with the pressure of the manga release being taken off, if Nankidai could be making changes to 3-1, so I'm slightly reluctant to start chapter 3 until 3-1 is complete. That said, 3-1A only lasts around an hour and a half, so even if there are any noticeable changes, it wouldn't be too much work to show those off. I will also point out that 3-1A does end on a cliffhanger.

Alternatively, there is a spin-off game called Your Time to Shine:

This is an island survival game where we need to gather food, build a base and train to battle monsters. The eventual plan is for all characters to be playable, but at the moment, Mishima is the only playable character. In addition to the survival aspect, each character (sans Mishima) have three fondness events, which are similar to the free time events in Dangan Ronpa.

Please let me know what you'd prefer by voting for one of the options below:

A: Move onto Your Time to Shine, then hiatus until 3-1 is complete.
B: Move onto Your Time to Shine, then 3-1A. (Assuming 3-1 is still incomplete by the time we've finished Your Time to Shine.)
C: Move onto 3-1A, then Your Time to Shine. (If the rest of 3-1 is released and translated before finishing 3-1A, I'll cover all 3-1 before moving onto Your Time to Shine.)
D: Hiatus until 3-1 is complete, then Your Time to Shine.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

B seems like the best choice here, hopefully it'll be enough for 3-1 to be released, but otherwise at least the LP still has new stuff.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
I’d prefer B. Even if the rest of 3-1 doesn’t come out in time, we won’t be left on much more of a cliffhanger than we we are right now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Agree with B.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
B sounds like the best idea to me.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

B would be my preferred option as well.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Let's go with the Best character, Mishima.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

I'd Be happy to see some more of Mishima.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'd definitely agree with the notion that there is a clear Best choice here.

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

Agreed with B being the best of the options.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I support B

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Absolutely B

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

B sounds like the best option. Then again, I also voted for killing a suicidal young lady over the backstabbing bastard, so take my vote with a grain of salt.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

voting A so it doesn't feel left out.

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020
Absolutely C

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
B seems sensible, and it fits in the bbcode nicely.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, to Be clear, is saving Sou a valid path to the next chapter?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yes,it absolutely is. Which means there are effectively 4 different paths for that chapter.

Having not played it yet, I'm assuming there just won't be too many interactions between Kanna/Sou and Alice/Reko just to keep it simple. Still feels pretty ambitious though.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

B

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020
The main difference is definitely between Shin route and Kanna route, which have several major differences ao far. Which Yabusame sibling lives only affects a couple differences from what I’ve seen.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

• Options are the same as the main story.

Music stops.

“Hmm... Yes, I see... Couldn't care less.”

• Pick anyone except Mishima -

• I'm not great at this game, so I'll go with Normal mode. You do get a brief scene with the person Mishima is closest to at the end of the game if you play on Hard mode – I'll add a link to these scenes at the end.

Music stops.

I am Mishima, a high school teacher. Following our first meeting in some time, I was driving my former student, Miss Nao, back home. But along the way, I lost consciousness.

“Ah... You guys think so too?”

“I mean, I've sure never heard of kidnapping people to an island before...”

: “Anyhow, we oughta get looking' for a way to escape!”

“Seems we've got no choice but to work together... Cooperation is key.”

“I'm Jou Tazuna, but just call me Joe! I'm Sara's bud! Ask me anything about her!”

“I'm Keiji Shinogi... Workin' as a policeman.”

“I'm Kanna Kizuchi, a middle schooler! ...And she's not here, but I have a big sister!”

“Q-taro Burgerberg's the name! I'mma pro baseballer! ...Second-string, tho!”

“I'm Sou Hiyori. I don't really want to say it, but... I guess you'd call me a job-hopper.”

“Name's Reko Yabusame. I'm a singer-songwriter.”

“My name's Nao Egokoro! I'm attending art college right now!”

“I am Kai Satou. As you can see, I work as a homemaker.”

“I'm Gin Ibushi, meow! Don't underestimate me 'cause I'm just a grade-schooler, woof!!”

“I am Kazumi Mishima. I work as a high school teacher, teaching the subjects of art and Japanese.”

“...Gonbee Yamada. My occupation is that of a model prisoner... I won't be taking any further questions.”

“Seems we've got a dangerous one among us...”

Music stops.

“W... Who are you?!”

“Well, everyone? Are you pleased with the island?”

“Are YOU our kidnapper, meow?!”

“Ahaha... What a dreadful way to put it.”

“What in the world do you mean to have us do?”

“Eheehee... A most wonderful game of survival.”

“W-What are you talking about?! Let us go right now...!!”

Music stops.

“Ahaha... Please do give it your all.”

“Looks like she got away...”

“Hmph... What of it? At a mere 30 days, this is practically a vacation.”

“T... That's awfully positive of you....?”

“Nothing we can do. Let's all work together to overcome this.”

• Everyone's base stats:

Crafting – 28
Foraging – 30
Fighting – 20

Crafting – 18
Foraging – 24
Fighting – 22

Crafting – 11
Foraging – 28
Fighting – 31

Crafting – 27
Foraging – 14
Fighting – 12

Crafting – 8
Foraging – 20
Fighting – 40

Crafting – 22
Foraging – 25
Fighting – 6

Crafting – 20
Foraging – 21
Fighting – 24

Crafting – 28
Foraging – 18
Fighting – 15

Crafting – 35
Foraging – 19
Fighting – 27

Crafting – 14
Foraging – 26
Fighting – 8

Crafting – 27
Foraging – 27
Fighting – 24

Crafting – 15
Foraging – 15
Fighting – 30

• Sara and Mishima are generally pretty good at everything, with a score of 20 plus in all three categories.

Kai has the highest crafting score and is one of the strongest fighters, but falls slightly short with a foraging score of 19.

Reko isn't outstanding in any category, but does have a 20 plus score in all three categories.

Joe is fairly middle of the road, not outstanding in any category, but by no means the weakest either.

Everyone else has high scores (upwards of 25) in one or two stats, but low scores (15 or below) in their other stats.

• Every character sans Mishima has a fondness score, which is currently 0 for all characters. When a character reaches 10, 25 and 40 fondness points, a fondness scene is triggered between that character and Mishima. Every time Mishima and a character perform the same action (including resting) the fondness for that character increases by two. There's also a 30% chance of a scene occurring between Mishima and a random character on certain days that will give that character two fondness points. On the other hand, allowing a character to fall to purple hunger decreases that characters fondness points by one. Only one fondness scene can be seen per day, if there are multiple scenes available the game will select one at random each day. At every x5 and x0 day, I'll take a vote on a character/s to focus on raising their fondness points until the next vote.

• Each day, we need to pick one of four actions for a character to take; Craft, Forage, Train and Rest.

Crafting increases the base points.

Foraging can result in a character bringing back food, material or money.

Training increases fighting points.

Rest restores a characters health by one stage.

• Action success information:

Crafting has a base 85% success rate, with an additional 1% per every ten points in crafting. If crafting does succeed, there's a 70% chance the character will increase the base points and a 30% chance the character will work on expanding the base, using 20 material to do so. After enough (invisible) points have been gained from crafters working to expand the base, the base will be upgraded. There are four base upgrades in all, the first two will unlock additional features, the last two upgrades are more or less just aesthetic. Characters may receive a one to three crafting point increase after a successful craft.

Foraging has a base 70% success rate, with an additional 1% per every ten points in foraging. If foraging does succeed, there's a 50% chance of the character bringing back material, 30% money, 20% food. Characters may receive a one to three point forage increase after a successful forage.

With both crafting and foraging only the ten digits are taken into account in regards to success probability – someone with a foraging score of 20 has as much chance of success as a character with a score of 29. However, the exact score does impact the risk of injury if an action fails, the amount of base points gained from crafting and the amount of material / money / food from foraging.

Training has a 90% base chance of success. There's also a 10% chance of a one to three crafting or foraging point increase. If training fails, the fighting points are used as percentage chance of avoiding a trap.

When a character rests, there's a 30% chance of the character getting a “good rest” which will completely restore their health.

• Lack of food tends to be the main issue in this game, so I send the majority of people out foraging.

• Sara not only succeeds in her foraging, her unique ability also triggers. I'll explain this later on.

• Conversely, not only does Joe fail to find anything on his foraging trip, he also gets injured. There are three stages of damage, full colour, yellow tinted and red tinted. If a character takes damage when they're at red tint, they'll die.

• Kanna finds some food while crafting. As she's currently full, the food gets added to the supplies. If a crafter finds food and they aren't full, they'll automatically eat the food.

• Nao gets a small craft point increase from her crafting.

• Each character has a unique ability that may trigger under certain circumstances – as mentioned we saw Sara's earlier; when foraging, there's a 50% she'll forage twice.

List of abilities for anyone who wants to track them / guess who has which ability:

Battle
* 50% chance of attacking twice in battle.
* 50% of protecting the base from one hit after attacking.

Craft
* 50% of also finding food while crafting.
* 50% chance of crafting twice.

Foraging
* 50% of foraging twice.

Hunger
* Survive starvation once after 15 days.

Injury
* 70% chance of a one point increase to crafting, foraging and training if injured.

Rest
* 50% chance of healing one character at yellow or red damage by one stage.
* 50% chance of crafting, foraging and training increasing by one when resting.
* 50% chance of raising everyone's fondness points by one when resting.

Train
* No risk of injury when training. Training can still fail though.
* 50% chance of training twice.

“Ahaha! Why not try boiling some nearby weeds and drinking that, hmm?”

“Ah yes, everyone. Are you not getting hungry?”

“You should be able to tell whether you're hungry by the colour of your face

“Currently, you're all at yellow. At this point, you may still be able to hang on without eating anything, but...”

“If it were green, your health would degrade... And at purple, you'd undoubtedly starve

• What Miley fails to mention is that one piece of food will completely fill a character. For that reason, it's usually a good idea to wait until someone goes down to green hunger before feeding them. The exception to this is when a crafter finds and automatically eats some food, it will only restore one stage of hunger.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is an interesting way to reuse assets for a completely different game. It's pretty neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I also like how it shows in a completely different, non-adversarial circumstance, the entire cast just kind of shrugs and says "Welp. Let's all work together to get out of this mess"