Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even with DS9 Klingons that mostly checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I like how the ultimate collective hive mind decided it needed a sexy queen torso to sex up Picard and get him back

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If we got started on Star Trek we'd be here all day

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Subspace communications.

I can suspend disbelief at FTL travel, but for some reason what's essentially a facetime call that has a good connection and also not have any delay or feedback with a caller light years away irks me.

I know WH40K gets around that with psychics. But I just expect interstellar communications basically devolving into text messages or telegrams at best.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Ghost Leviathan posted:

True, bt it's fun!

Not nominating the Oberth class science vessel per se: its hardware might be ok but over the course of TNG they find so many destroyed Oberths with crews killed by space monsters/radiation/gravitation anomalies/sex madness etc. that either the design is cursed or the Federation has some sort of sick sacrificing strategy going on ("the chaos gods are hungry. Send out a few more Oberths to the usual killer space anomailes to appease them.") Especially seing how many of these ships were not just crewed with scientists, but also their families.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SavageGentleman posted:

True, bt it's fun!

Not nominating the Oberth class science vessel per se: its hardware might be ok but over the course of TNG they find so many destroyed Oberths with crews killed by space monsters/radiation/gravitation anomalies/sex madness etc. that either the design is cursed or the Federation has some sort of sick sacrificing strategy going on ("the chaos gods are hungry. Send out a few more Oberths to the usual killer space anomailes to appease them.") Especially seing how many of these ships were not just crewed with scientists, but also their families.

I've got a soft spot for that ship since I played so much Starfleet Academy on SNES.

I think it's just more a correlation thing, since Oberth class ships are presumably small, relatively very cheap to build, and the standard general-purpose science vessel for a civilisation that really loving loves science. (Also, easy to reuse the prop)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

frogge posted:

Subspace communications.

I can suspend disbelief at FTL travel, but for some reason what's essentially a facetime call that has a good connection and also not have any delay or feedback with a caller light years away irks me.

I know WH40K gets around that with psychics. But I just expect interstellar communications basically devolving into text messages or telegrams at best.

In Planetes they'd have phone calls from like, the moon to earth, and the phones would have a little loading bar to make sure you were aware of the lag between you and the recipient. You'd see really heated arguments where the person you were watching would would go through a whole range of emotions every time they were waiting for the response from the other side.

That said, thing about FTL is that once you've engineered your way around c, then all bets are off on any element of physics working any more. Things like "conservation of mass" and "causality" become suspect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of those Rikers would still be alive today if not for the trifecta of console rocks, no seat belts, and the consoles being loaded with electrical sparklers even though they make a big deal about how it's the future and poo poo runs on isolinear optical chips light technobabble so no electricity is on any of the ships at all.

But for real chairs on Federation starship bridges are some of the absolute dumbest tech in all of fiction for not having seat belts. Like, Federation Command or whatever, come on, do you SEE the poo poo these ships run into every day?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Where is the deflector.

Where are the Bussard collectors.

Do you take a Jefferies tube to the lower section or does everybody beam over there.

There's no windows down there. Is that just a big computer. The warp core has to be down there, right.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Just remembered a total garbage ship.

So if you haven't played the game, how it works is that every ship has subsystems that can be broken, meaning that your ship loses that function until a crewmember goes into that room to fix it. The doors between rooms are those red rectangles.

If you'll notice, there are two rooms with no doors to them, meaning that once they're broken, there's no way to fix them. One is the engine, the other is the life support, so if you disable both, the ship can't escape and you can just wait until they slowly run out of air and the crew dies. You get more salvage if you just kill the crew instead of destroying the ship as well.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
They should have made a Roger Wilco-themed spaceship shooter game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

Where is the deflector.

Do you take a Jefferies tube to the lower section or does everybody beam over there.

There's no windows down there. Is that just a big computer. The warp core has to be down there, right.

I think for Federation ships, the majority of the crew sections are in the saucer part while Engineering is basically 'below decks' and mostly heavy machinery, so most of the crew doesn't have reason to go down there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Animal-Mother posted:

Where is the deflector.

I don't think there's any official answer. I'd be curious to know what the designer had in mind.

One bit of trivia is that in the mid-late 70s when Paramount was considering doing another series instead of a movie, some of the pre-production designs for the sets included little alcoves for one-person transporter pads; the idea was that one of the upgrades the Enterprise got was a series of waveguides that would permit easy intra-ship beaming. Maybe the designer at ILM was thinking "well of course they can just beam down there if they need to get in!"

I'm inclined to think that Grissom/Oberth was intended as a non-combat ship, that as such they were willing to accept a higher degree of automation, and so everything down there is stuff that usually doesn't need to be touched; basically the only time they'd go down there is if something broke and needed to be fixed. And even then it might have sufficient redundancy that if something failed, there'd be a good chance they could just switch to a backup and let it sit until the next time they put in to a starbase.

But, yeah, I figure it's fuel/storage tanks and a shitload of sensors down there.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

Just remembered a total garbage ship.

So if you haven't played the game, how it works is that every ship has subsystems that can be broken, meaning that your ship loses that function until a crewmember goes into that room to fix it. The doors between rooms are those red rectangles.

If you'll notice, there are two rooms with no doors to them, meaning that once they're broken, there's no way to fix them. One is the engine, the other is the life support, so if you disable both, the ship can't escape and you can just wait until they slowly run out of air and the crew dies. You get more salvage if you just kill the crew instead of destroying the ship as well.

FTL rules

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think there's any official answer. I'd be curious to know what the designer had in mind.

One bit of trivia is that in the mid-late 70s when Paramount was considering doing another series instead of a movie, some of the pre-production designs for the sets included little alcoves for one-person transporter pads; the idea was that one of the upgrades the Enterprise got was a series of waveguides that would permit easy intra-ship beaming. Maybe the designer at ILM was thinking "well of course they can just beam down there if they need to get in!"

I'm inclined to think that Grissom/Oberth was intended as a non-combat ship, that as such they were willing to accept a higher degree of automation, and so everything down there is stuff that usually doesn't need to be touched; basically the only time they'd go down there is if something broke and needed to be fixed. And even then it might have sufficient redundancy that if something failed, there'd be a good chance they could just switch to a backup and let it sit until the next time they put in to a starbase.

But, yeah, I figure it's fuel/storage tanks and a shitload of sensors down there.

Yeah I figured if it was a science vessel most of the lower area is like storage/some automated lab thing/sensors that's installed and set up for their specific mission before they even head out.

Maybe it's where they keep the dolphin navigators.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
The Oberth was designed as a science vessel. It's first appearance was in The Search for Spock and it got destroyed in one shot by the Klingons. I think you can put its odd appearance down to being designed by ILM without much experience with Trek, and it shares a lot of design language with the Excelsior which was also designed by ILM for that movie.

There's some fan canon that the lower section is a detachable module which kind of makes sense. You could swap it out for various missions and it doesn't matter if it's uninhabitable.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i think it's good to have ships to send the screwballs to

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still say the idea that the Federation just sends any old failson and weirdo who manages to get a science degree off on a cheap science vessel or distant lab explains so many episodes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say the idea that the Federation just sends any old failson and weirdo who manages to get a science degree off on a cheap science vessel or distant lab explains so many episodes.

i remember elsewhere on the internet some people who thought they were really smart would get all smugface and say "ah hah! this is absurd, scientists do not work by themselves and produce great things, they work in teams at big labs! owned dipshit federation scrubs :smuggo:"

but, like, we know there are rear end in a top hat scientists and other academics. why not send the assholes and megalomaniac dickheads out to the rear end end of space so they'll stop bothering people who aren't raging jerks?

"next item: Professor Dillweed is applying to be posted to a deep space lab. hot drat, finally! took him long enough to get the hint! approved. i'll call Starfleet right after this meeting and tell them we need another lab on some distant planetoid. make sure they put it really far out this time, the last one was close enough that the latest round of subspace relay upgrades got Doctor Butthead's reception up where he can do visual communications. ugh. i didn't think his hygiene could actually get worse."

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a giant universe and I always thought the Best and Brightest part of Starfleet rang false. Show me the 2nd line ships. Give me a show with washouts and career dead-enders manning an outdated ship in a forgotten sector.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

While we're on Star Trek's rear end: teleporters.

I get it, it's sci fi tech and teleporters have been a thing in the genre for a long time but why don't they ever just teleport a brick in enemy ships' engines or something and not even bother with phasers? Or just teleport air bubbles directly into the enemy crews.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
They did actually, but only once. There's an episode of Voyager where they beam a torpedo onto a Borg ship. Other than that...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

GD_American posted:

It's a giant universe and I always thought the Best and Brightest part of Starfleet rang false. Show me the 2nd line ships. Give me a show with washouts and career dead-enders manning an outdated ship in a forgotten sector.

Voyager? :v:

Also, DS9 at the very beginning.

frogge posted:

While we're on Star Trek's rear end: teleporters.

I get it, it's sci fi tech and teleporters have been a thing in the genre for a long time but why don't they ever just teleport a brick in enemy ships' engines or something and not even bother with phasers? Or just teleport air bubbles directly into the enemy crews.

Generally, shields block transporters.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Generally, shields block transporters.

It's actually one of the most consistently portrayed rules in otherwise fast and loose Trek. Transporters would turn practically every problem of the week into a minor annoyance. So having shields be unable to be transported through is about the only thing that makes the setting work at all. Pretty much every episode starts with the crew attempting to transport their way out of a problem and it not working because the Romulans/Klingons/Space Anomaly has their shields up.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Got me there. Shields blocking teleporters is definitely the rule in a lot of sci fi, not just trek. Still, I'm surprised we don't see more non-conventional use of the tech.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Teleportation is a tricky thing. Most settings give it some major limitations.

Reminded of Pokemon; some Pokemon can teleport, and there's at least one building per game that has a pad-based teleportation network, but it seems to be rarely used outside gimmicks and the occasional convenient escape route. I think it might require a wired connection and has a limited range, so it's not a lot of use unless you really hate doors.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

frogge posted:

Got me there. Shields blocking teleporters is definitely the rule in a lot of sci fi, not just trek. Still, I'm surprised we don't see more non-conventional use of the tech.

The human warships in the Stargate series actually do teleport nukes onto enemy ships whenever they can.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

frogge posted:

I believe they do this in Stargate more often ,both specific to your example and sci fi ingenuity as a whole

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

frogge posted:

Subspace communications.

Astrotelepathy in 40k is supposed to be like the shittiest form of communication imaginable, it just gets ignored for convenience.

Like a distress signal is received as a bad dream a random amount of time from when it was sent in a random place and relayed multiple times as the relay astropath's interpretation of the dream.

Whole astropathic choirs going insane from suddenly receiving distress signals from thousand year old wars is a thing.

It's even worse on a ship where you might lose your entire communication system to the physic echoes of some atrocity that happened a million years before humanity was born.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 22, 2020

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

GD_American posted:

That was kind of the original premise, but somehow along the way Seth MacFarlane turned himself into the savior of mankind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Statutory Ape posted:

I believe they do this in Stargate more often ,both specific to your example and sci fi ingenuity as a whole

Does the captain who orders it chuckle every time it works

I probably would

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Basically what I'm hearing is I need to check out the Stargate tv show.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Does the captain who orders it chuckle every time it works

I probably would

No, but the Asgard in charge of the teleporter controls whines every time. :allears:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's kind of a miracle that Quark's holosuites work as well as they do, with the only real malfunction coming from either deliberate loving with them or the time they plugged the transporters into it to deal with THEIR malfunction, considering Rom has to keep them working with whatever he can scavenge from Ferengi, Cardassian, Bajoran and Federation tech, and used parts from Quark's old pistol and a spatula, probably because Quark won't give him the budget to get proper replacement parts. It's no wonder he's as good as O'Brien, in some ways even better, when he actually gets a proper engineering job.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

That was kind of the original premise, but somehow along the way Seth MacFarlane turned himself into the savior of mankind.

They at least use the replicator for poo poo normal people would use it for, like weed brownies

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

Astrotelepathy in 40k is supposed to be like the shittiest form of communication imaginable, it just gets ignored for convenience.

Like a distress signal is received as a bad dream a random amount of time from when it was sent in a random place and relayed multiple times as the relay astropath's interpretation of the dream.

Whole astropathic choirs going insane from suddenly receiving distress signals from thousand year old wars is a thing.

It's even worse on a ship where you might lose your entire communication system to the physic echoes of some atrocity that happened a million years before humanity was born.

Pretty much everything that uses the warp is the absolute worst thing possible. Traveling through it can often have ships blink out of existence or show up a thousand years late or arrive before they left.

You need to use a giant beacon to stay on course, and those beacons attract Tyranids. The Emperor constructed a thing to steal and use the Eldar webway instead, but since it went wrong, it's now a hole into the warp that demons are trying to get through to invade Earth, and it's only kept plugged up by the Emperor's comatose body.

And if you just want to use psychic powers for fun and profit, there's a chance your head will just explode.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's kind of a miracle that Quark's holosuites work as well as they do, with the only real malfunction coming from either deliberate loving with them or the time they plugged the transporters into it to deal with THEIR malfunction, considering Rom has to keep them working with whatever he can scavenge from Ferengi, Cardassian, Bajoran and Federation tech, and used parts from Quark's old pistol and a spatula, probably because Quark won't give him the budget to get proper replacement parts. It's no wonder he's as good as O'Brien, in some ways even better, when he actually gets a proper engineering job.

Rom is probably the most competent person on DS9.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I enjoy warp related tech in 40k because it completely violates physics, and the consequences of it being able to do so is that reality just falls apart sometimes. The consistent laws of the universe break down and all kinds of stupid poo poo happens.

There's a faction 40k called the Tau that have been largely confined to one small area of space because they didn't use advanced warp drive technology. Eventually they developed advanced warp engines and created a massive fleet of ships to go out and conquer space they previously could not reach. The fleets maiden voyage had all the ships activate their warp drives simultaneously, causing a massive tear in reality which devoured all the ships and created a fracture in space. Oops.

Its okay though, eventually the warp vomited out the fleet on the other side of galaxy.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I am so the gently caress over Seth MacFarlane.