Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My ranking:
Fortress
Scurrilous/Volition (very close to a three way tie for #1)
Pacific Myth
Keszia

Excited for the new one, despite not LOVING the singles. But I've also barely listened to them to avoid burning them out. That was my big issue with Pacific Myth. I backed it, so I got one song per month and it just never came together as an "album" in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

XIII posted:

My ranking:
Fortress
Scurrilous/Volition (very close to a three way tie for #1)
Pacific Myth
Keszia

Excited for the new one, despite not LOVING the singles. But I've also barely listened to them to avoid burning them out. That was my big issue with Pacific Myth. I backed it, so I got one song per month and it just never came together as an "album" in my head.

> Kezia last

what

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

-Kezia
-Fortress
-Volition
-Pacific Myth
-Scurrilous
-Calculated Use of Sound
-that 2-song ep from 2002 lol

Fortress and Kezia switch between 1st and 2nd for me a lot - Kezia is just such a cool and unique album, but goddamn Fortress loving crushes.

Also I'm a big dummy and Mist is like, top 5 PTH songs ever. It just makes me really happy, despite not having ever been to Newfoundland.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 18, 2020

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I tried to make a top five list and then it was a top ten list and now it is a top eight list. This list is very slapdash and not at all scientific, but the top four are above the next four. I also might just be really high on Fireplaces because it’s new but goddamn that song slaps.

- Skies (absolutely incredible songwriting)
- Fireplaces
- Spoils
- These Colors Don’t Run
- the Goddess Gagged instrumental
- I Am Dmitri Karamazov And The World Is My Father
- She Who Mars The Skin of Gods
- Turn Soonest to the Sea

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

wuggles posted:

> Kezia last

what

Yeah, yeah, I know, but you can check my post history and see that I've had the bad and wrong opinion for a while now, so your showing up isn't about to change my mind. I didn't get down with PTH til Volition, so I reverse engineered my fandom from there. As much I want to like Kezia, the production kills it

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

XIII posted:

Yeah, yeah, I know, but you can check my post history and see that I've had the bad and wrong opinion for a while now, so your showing up isn't about to change my mind. I didn't get down with PTH til Volition, so I reverse engineered my fandom from there. As much I want to like Kezia, the production kills it

I don’t think it’s a bad opinion, I’m just interested in it. I think PtH is best when they’re writing grandiose fiction with social commentary which is what Palimpsest is but all their albums are great

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

That's why Fortress edges out the others. I love how cohesive the album feels, on top of being full of killer songs. I'd never really heard any of their music (only their name) until Volition, which blew me away on the first listen. Then I went back to Scurrilous and continued loving them. But Fortress wasn't on Google Play Music at the time, so the jump to Kezia was a big drop in production and I just couldn't get into it, so I just listened to the poo poo out of the other two. It wasn't until a year or so later that I realized that I was missing an entire album in their lineup, so I bought a digital copy and was floored.

Palimpsest is up on GPM now, so I'm starting my first listen and I'm cautiously optimistic. I wanna love it.

Edit: yeah, I think it's gonna be a good one. The first half didn't snag me, but I was also half listening. Once I gave it my full attention it started clicking. I'm excited to relisten tomorrow on my bike ride to work. An albums bike-ability is the real test for me, but I think this one is gonna continue to grow on me

XIII fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 18, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

XIII, dunno if you've heard it but they remastered Kezia a while ago, if your main issue is the production (understandable if you started with the later stuff).

I would say that No Stars Over Bethlehem and Bury the Hatchet are 2 of the best songs they've ever written, IMO.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I just made it to The Fireside and woah Palimpsest is great. It kinda snuck up on me too, Pacific Myth didn't do anything for me so I haven't really paid attention to them for about 7 years now despite everything from Kezia through Volition being on equal footing as perfect albums. I'd almost forgotten this was even coming out and had no expectations so it's a rad surprise to remember how much I love this band. This seems to have more of those Kezia-era cathartic moments which are musical crack for me, but the songs as a whole are a lot more coherent and mature (which is not a thing I thought I wanted from Protest the Hero but hey it works). No idea how I'll end up feeling about this in terms of their discography but I definitely see it being one of my most-played of the year at the very least.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

XIII, dunno if you've heard it but they remastered Kezia a while ago, if your main issue is the production (understandable if you started with the later stuff).

I would say that No Stars Over Bethlehem and Bury the Hatchet are 2 of the best songs they've ever written, IMO.

Yeah, I'm aware and I'd hoped it would turn me around on the album, but nope.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJSJ0vuuyp8

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

gently caress yeah. STOKED

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Man, the new Ghost Inside album just doesn't do anything for me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

Yeah, same. I listened a couple times and then the news about homeboy dropping slurs came out, so I'm just gonna keep ignoring everything after Returners like I was beforehand.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

Yeah, same. I listened a couple times and then the news about homeboy dropping slurs came out, so I'm just gonna keep ignoring everything after Returners like I was beforehand.

There are some good songs after Returners but this is a pretty safe approach to TGI

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

New protest was pretty disappointing imo. None of Rody's melodies surprise me. All of the notes he sings are too close together to sound interesting or adventurous. Plus he constantly sings a whole octave down from where he was on fortress and kezia and I just don't like how it sounds. I've had this problem with him since scurrilous but it's just gotten worse as time has gone on (volition had a lot of songs that broke this pattern though which was great). Usually I can just listen to the guitars during the parts where the vocals are boring, but even the guitar melodies seemed less inspired on this record. Maybe I just need to listen another couple times but overall I'm pretty bummed. Fortress is my favorite album of all time.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Kezia (I was in grade 10 it was big for me...)
Volition
Fortress
Scurrilous
Pacific Myth

I don't know where to put Palimpset yet but for some reason it really reminds me of Pacific Myth and I dunno, it just doesn't vibe as much for me.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think one of the things that endears Kezia to me so much is how incredibly different it was when it first came out. So much of metalcore at the time was starting to coalesce into the typical styles still prominent (Killswitch style stuff, Harsh vocals/high-pitched clean chorus/harsh vocals, etc.) and that album was just like, whoa.

I remember one of my friends had Sirius satellite radio and he was like "dude I just heard this song that's like if the Mars Volta were a metal band," which is a pretty terrible description, but does justice to the fact that there was just straight-up nothing out there as adventurous and unique as that album. We ended up going for a long blunt cruise specifically to try and hear Bury the Hatchet again.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I remember watching the Blindfolds Aside video on Much Music and just having my mind blown. I was kind of blown away it got airtime...

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Slotducks posted:

I remember watching the Blindfolds Aside video on Much Music and just having my mind blown. I was kind of blown away it got airtime...

That video rules.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Dango Bango posted:

It's alright, has some good tracks. Definitely better than Dear Youth, but that was by far the weakest of their discography imo.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

annoyed this isn't showing up on spotify yet because it's good

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81WWiEkkrZ0

I'm getting more and more stoked for this new Make Them Suffer tape

edit: I'm dumb and just realized the full thing is out now.

Double edit: my stoke was well founded

XIII fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 19, 2020

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I thought new MTS got pushed back to next month?

Whatever. Checking it out now and :tviv: that intro and first track.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i heard one of the distributors missed the memo and released it on the original date so after it was out in the wild they probably just said gently caress it

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

I thought new MTS got pushed back to next month?

kumba posted:

i heard one of the distributors missed the memo and released it on the original date so after it was out in the wild they probably just said gently caress it

This makes me feel slightly less dumb

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Icymi, Counterparts dropped a maxi today called "Purer Form of Pain" that is worth your play. Apple Music dudes clicky here: https://music.apple.com/us/album/purer-form-of-pain-single/1514366567 or else look it up on whichever streaming thinger you use instead.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I listened to the first half of that Make Them Suffer record and I dunno, I'm not really feeling it

Beelzebozo posted:

Icymi, Counterparts dropped a maxi today called "Purer Form of Pain" that is worth your play. Apple Music dudes clicky here: https://music.apple.com/us/album/purer-form-of-pain-single/1514366567 or else look it up on whichever streaming thinger you use instead.

This, on the other hand, is excellent. Also listened to Palimpsest yesterday and it's phenomenal

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Everything Counterparts does is loving flawless, how do they just keep producing like this all year every year

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I like the new songs well enough, but Counterparts tracks all sound to samesie to me and I lose interest halfway through any album

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
I can respect that, they do stick to what they do best and hardly deviate. What they do hits all the right notes for me though so I don’t mind that it’s all pretty samey

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I'm down with some Counterparts every now and then as well, but I honestly can't figure out whether Brendon's lyrics are actually smart or just sound like it.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I've listened to a few different interviews with Brendan Murphy, and the dude seems pretty bright to me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eight Is Legend posted:

I'm down with some Counterparts every now and then as well, but I honestly can't figure out whether Brendon's lyrics are actually smart or just sound like it.
Someone made the argument (not sure if ITT or in the vanilla Metal thread) that the one lyricist who can actually sound non-embarrassing wrt lyrics is probably Keith Buckley.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The dude from Polaris. The lyrics might sound cheesy to some but if you're a Genuine Sadbrains like me they hit closer to home than any other metal lyrics I can think of.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Wark Say posted:

Someone made the argument (not sure if ITT or in the vanilla Metal thread) that the one lyricist who can actually sound non-embarrassing wrt lyrics is probably Keith Buckley.

ETID is legitimately the only band I listen to that I wouldn’t be embarrassed to show friends and family the lyrics to lol

Keith fuckin rules

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Beelzebozo posted:

I've listened to a few different interviews with Brendan Murphy, and the dude seems pretty bright to me.

There's no doubt he's a smart dude — I love following him on social media — and he can definitely write some one liners that kill. Lyrics like the first verse here sound clever at first, but then I can't honestly figure the exact meaning of them, though. He might be more of a "graphical" lyricist for a lack of a better word — there's no doubt it paints an image in your head.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

So, like, should ShoogaSlim start a Discord for us or something? :ohdear:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

So, like, should ShoogaSlim start a Discord for us or something? :ohdear:

I'd join. I don't wanna miss out on all the latest and greatest meathead music y'all post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I would also join a Discord