Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Remember concerts? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

im voting for my taint

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
My friend went and sat at a bar yesterday because “the wings are so good! I can’t resist!” and now is mad because I don’t want to hang out with him Friday even if he sits ten feet from me outdoors.

Unclean. Unclean.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Strep Vote posted:

I think it's just the tension of the unknown getting to a bunch of people who are used to obfuscating reality with dopamine hitting action. Sitting still is difficult when you've been trained from birth to work and consume and little else, and we really are social animals. Its hard and collectively we haven't had much practice dealing with uncomfortable and difficult things.

E: and I think it's hard because we all want some degree of control and essentially have none. Every animal does poorly when trapped physically or psychologically.

I saw a post a while back that basically said it's this, but it's also being compounded by the fact that it's not all of us who are being restricted in this way, people who don't give a poo poo about other people's health are still doing "back-to-normal"-type things. So the worst people among us are the only ones getting the benefits. (That is, until they eventually get the rona. But maybe they won't!)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gonna be telling young children about the magical time people used to get on things called airplanes and go to far off places for fun because :laffo: ever being trapped in a sardine can for three hours with any of the morons in this country again

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Nothus posted:

Remember concerts? lol

"2 for 1 martini nights"

everything about that sentence is lmao now

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
This has updated since I posted it two hours ago.

rt.live

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nothus posted:

Trump also got rid of the rule against benzene in hand sanitizer. For your health!

Isn't this bc there's small amounts of benzene added to some industrial alcohols to stop them from absorbing water? I'm not saying it's good but I'm also saying iirc there's a reasonable explanation for that one specific thing.

s0j
May 17, 2003

get fucked, round-eye

yeah most people are dying with AIDS, not of AIDS

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tinstaach posted:

I saw a post a while back that basically said it's this, but it's also being compounded by the fact that it's not all of us who are being restricted in this way, people who don't give a poo poo about other people's health are still doing "back-to-normal"-type things. So the worst people among us are the only ones getting the benefits. (That is, until they eventually get the rona. But maybe they won't!)

The thing to remember about this disease is that it's not usually very bad for young people and young people have zero reason to give a gently caress about the society and elders that have betrayed them. Like it's worse than the flu for young people but you're still extremely under 1% IFR bc the CFR doesn't include the asymptomatic cases, which seem to be common

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"frankly, we've done too good of a job"

https://twitter.com/JoeStGeorge/status/1275095209240604673

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

rt.live

How is it possible for NC’s transmission number to be so close to 1 when it is now routinely knocking on the door for top-5 new daily case counts?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

rt.live

Iowa finally, just a few minutes ago, edged into the red at 1.0.

there is no way the infection rate is that low, and I'm loving fascinated in finding out how it's being suppressed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao my workplace was trying shovel more people back to work at the manufacturing company on Jun 29 with a cheesy "We can't wait to have the team back together!" message.

Today we found out that 4 positives cases were confirmed from last week and the whole return to work is now delayed.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

rt.live

Help me out. What am I looking at?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

sir, please, we're tired of all the testing, you've done too good a job

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

shovelbum posted:

The thing to remember about this disease is that it's not usually very bad for young people and young people have zero reason to give a gently caress about the society and elders that have betrayed them. Like it's worse than the flu for young people but you're still extremely under 1% IFR bc the CFR doesn't include the asymptomatic cases, which seem to be common

Has the existence of broadly common *asymptomatic* cases been proven?

Every time one of these pops up there’s never any follow up. If you test positive at the initial band of exposure and develop symptoms ten days later, you aren’t asymptomatic.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Corona Chan: Trump you are doing a Heck of a Job!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

it's a chart with the axes and labels cut off

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Every time one of these pops up there’s never any follow up. If you test positive at the initial band of exposure and develop symptoms ten days later, you aren’t asymptomatic.

Iceland, ships, antibody studies, etc iirc

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm kinda confused. Nothing has changed in the last week or two and everyone around me is either losing it or just down to go fully open.

I'm sitting here like ????? This is exactly what I told you was gonna happen months ago. How are people this weak mentally? Why lose it now all of the sudden?

Weird stuff watching the cracks form around you.

As things open up those on the fence will be pulled off by those taking less precautions. This has a domino effect.

Sorta like HGM's post about his friend and wings. A friend like that is going to try to erode precautions so they can self-soothe for putting themselves at risk.

Normalcy bias is only going to get worse over the next 2 weeks as things kick off again while people desperately try to will it away by ignoring it as fervently and recklessly as they can.

I feel you though. My boss asked me today my 'thoughts on your physical return to work' just as things are clearly getting worse.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Rt. of states. 1.0 or more means increasing. https://rt.live/

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
happy to be resting in piss

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1275095890064261120 :thunk:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:D :D :D

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1275063285264420872?s=20

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

hmm I wonder what ICU stands for

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:thunk:, indeed

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
insanely cool unit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

increasingly looking like I'll be going back to work in July. I work at a movie theater in nyc. life is just so precious

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
https://twitter.com/KellyO/status/1275104336377454593?s=19

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

magical thinking writ large. incredible

trash airport. I've been delayed out of there as much as ohare

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

In Training posted:

increasingly looking like I'll be going back to work in July. I work at a movie theater in nyc. life is just so precious

i live in nyc also and my first thought was 'who would go to the movies?' but then i remembered the crowds of people in bars and restaurants after work from home orders were going down but the city hadn't mandated a lockdown yet, and the crowds of people outside bars for the past 2 weeks

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

yeah, a lot of people stay at ICUs for weekend getaways, vacations, and even job related travel, so they shouldn't count as intensive care patients

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Crusader posted:

i live in nyc also and my first thought was 'who would go to the movies?' but then i remembered the crowds of people in bars and restaurants after work from home orders were going down but the city hadn't mandated a lockdown yet, and the crowds of people outside bars for the past 2 weeks

i suppose NYC might have a big enough recovered population to support a few movie theaters

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Acelerion posted:

One interesting thing I've noticed is that the virus is a lot 'closer' now that it was when it was only a few coastal states getting brutalized.

Its hit the point in texas where almost everyone knows or has heard of somebody with it. Its shown up in the offices of basically everyone I know. People are starting to get freaked out for all the good that will do.

starting today you can’t go into the HEBs in Austin without a mask (again).

why they stopped requiring it is absolutely beyond me.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

hey man, i'm just catching some zzz's in this super comfy icu bed, don't count me as a statistic

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Entirely anecdotal, but my 60yo mother tested positive in Georgia at one of the drive through sites. She didn't ever actually feel sick and this is now going on two weeks ago. I don't know it might have been a false positive because my step-father tested negative but those drive through sites are apparently trash. That's my story on asymptomatic cases and the possibility that the tests are bad. Also maybe it just hasn't incubated long enough but like I said it's been a couple weeks now.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

lmao they're this stupid, they actually are drinking the koolaid rather than just doling it out. amazing.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

lmao they're this stupid, they actually are drinking the koolaid rather than just doling it out. amazing.

well yeah. it's trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

starting today you can’t go into the HEBs in Austin without a mask (again).

why they stopped requiring it is absolutely beyond me.

because greg abbott is a piece of poo poo and the state sued cities for trying to enforce mask laws on individuals and no one knew what the gently caress to do