Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Ive been watching https://twitter.com/Elev8Pro/status/1268919421176885251?s=20
for like a day now and ive liked the three shows on youtube. I make no claims they will back any of that up but seems cool 4 now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/PrimeTimePW/status/1274492259086540808?s=20

Flying V, meanwhile, posted a long statement but is just "investigating" him. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/PrimeTimePW/status/1274541159583551489?s=20

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

FunMerrania posted:

C4 has a pretty drat good track record, the promoter is probably the nicest old man in the business. Interspecies wrestling I've heard good things about.

Agreed on both Mark and Mike, 2 stand up dudes I've known forever.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I posted this in the AEW discussion thread because it's more involved with the current issues.

Waffleopolis posted:

I feel in that the proper actions is fire Justin Roberts, fire Jimmy Havoc (after rehab, of course), and for Sammy I feel a proper actual apology is in order like a 1-3 month suspension along with sensitivity training and 'community service' that lets him see the ways of his actions and hopefully learn. If NONE of that doesn't get through his skull, then throw his rear end out.

Am I wrong to think Sammy could change from this? I feel like outright severance for this might be too harsh, but he is on some really thin ice. He needs to think before he speaks. Of course, if any more heinous actions do come forward with legitimacy then yeah fire him.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 22, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it could. Absolutely. Like, I know people who've said poo poo like Sammy and then got far better because they grew up and we're taught "oh, it's not normal to talk like that even though that's how my dad, uncles, and cousins all talk."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Waffleopolis posted:

Am I wrong to think Sammy could change from this?

It's not impossible that he's already grown out of this shittiness although I'm certainly not going to assume he has. If not and if nothing else comes out then this is just bad enough that it could shock him onto the straight and narrow while just being enough to not completely gently caress up his career.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sammy's words were reprehensible, but if he never did anything beyond saying really lovely words that's redeemable if he actually goes through the trouble of changing and seeking redemption.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Waffleopolis posted:

Am I wrong to think Sammy could change from this? I feel like outright severance for this might be too harsh, but he is on some really thin ice. He needs to think before he speaks. Of course, if any more heinous actions do come forward with legitimacy then yeah fire him.
The thing is... Sammy should have known that joking about raping a woman was over the line and really loving wrong (in a public format no less) a year or two ago when that was recorded. So like, Sammy could and probably will come out and apologize and I believe in giving people second chances and room to grow and be better and he'll probably get that opportunity. But like... did Sammy genuinely learn a lesson in the last 24 hours? Is this the first time someone told him its not polite to joke about raping a woman? Its possible it impacted him in a new way he hadn't considered before or a more cynical take that he now recognizes the negative consequences it can have on his life, but who knows if Sammy will actually learn anything from this? He should have learned it before... hell he should have never HAD to learn it.

So who knows? We can't control what others do and how they grow or don't grow. We can agree to give him a second chance if he says the right things, and if maybe we just don't forget this happened if something comes up again.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

https://twitter.com/TheOJMO/status/1275075403707604995

oh well, not seen the screenshots mentioned.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Hellblazer187 posted:

Sammy's words were reprehensible, but if he never did anything beyond saying really lovely words that's redeemable if he actually goes through the trouble of changing and seeking redemption.

Uhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/JasonF1824/status/1273818241287303169

https://twitter.com/JasonF1824/status/1273834238429855744

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The issue about future growth and if it's possible for Sammy is right now onscreen and off-, the people he's hanging around most are...Jericho, Hager and Darby

Who

To put it mildly

Aren't the most positive role models or people you should want to get behavior tips from

I believe he has the capacity to improve eventually. But if he does what is normal in locker room environments and his reaction to wondering amid all this viralness of his past comments is to go to his friends and ask their opinions on it...he's hosed. Because Jericho, Hager and Darby behave like idiots too. They're not gonna tell him he did anything wrong, because they don't believe he did

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That incident was a few years before the Sasha comment btw, so there's already a behavioral pattern

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Well, poo poo.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Even if you're within reach of possible personal growth and/or redemption, there's no reason it has to be done while you're gainfully employed and regularly featured on television. I don't really have any problem if any of the AEW names here get their asses fired and they can figure out this poo poo on their own time (assuming they don't warrant charges in the first place).

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Gatoh Move did look Joji Otani but that's before his stuff came out and he's not worked since so possibly they didn't know about him being a nonce - hopefully that remains to be the case.

STAC Goat posted:

But in light of all this it seems like Ryan either lies to himself with all that public stuff or he's intentionally using it as cover for his private poo poo. And I personally feel a little lovely for buying in and advancing it.

This is the thing with abusers: often they tend to be charismatic people that can convince others to overlook red flags or buy into fake versions of them. They don't just manipulate their victims: they also manipulate everyone else to not see the obvious and to make sure that if their victims do try to confide in others that people are less likely to believe them. I'm pretty sure the stuff he said about his act being progressive or whatever was a cover - wouldn't be the first time that someone tried to use issues like that to get public support.

Also shows why we shouldn't entirely trust claims made by wrestlers about their own personal beliefs - same lesson we can learn from David Starr.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

stab posted:

Eddy always asks for consent and if there's any hesitation whatsoever he doesn't do it.

I think in this case it was also just trying to tone things down a bit since there were a lot of kids in the audience. It was part of a toy show so they sold a lot of combo tickets. You probably know the one.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

bare minimum Sammy needs to be suspended without pay and be sent to counseling.

I know that a lot of wrestlers have used the "I've been going to counseling and also had hosed up experiences when I was younger so I shouldn't be in trouble" but I feel that it would help Sammy on multiple levels, especially if it's his boss saying "you're out if you don't get your poo poo together".

woof, I've thought the whole "Spanish god" and "Le Sex Gods" was gnarly to begin with, but ugh. Marko Stunt too; I dunno why he's been able to get away with his "try to smooch everyone short enough for him to reach" bullshit. At the very least this has to be an eye-opener for Tony to not let folks (*cough* Jericho *cough*) "vouch" for people without doing hella research on his own, and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't put out an incredibly serious statement.

On the topic of Joey Ryan, his act always skeeved me out a bit, but I was absolutely done with him when I bought merch from him a few years back and he asked to get a photo with me, when I did so he leaned in and said "hey, wanna grab my dick?" I immediately had him refund the merch and then told my buds "uh, hey, he's creepier than we thought and I think this is beyond his gimmick".
Looking back I could've done more, but it's one of those moments that was shocking enough to have not done anything, especially as other women I'd seen take photos with him in the past were gladly doing it.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 22, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

the escape goat posted:

I dunno why he's been able to get away with his "try to smooch everyone short enough for him to reach" bullshit.

Dustin Rhodes sexually assaulted a woman on PPV and the audience cheered

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Aphrodite posted:

I think in this case it was also just trying to tone things down a bit since there were a lot of kids in the audience. It was part of a toy show so they sold a lot of combo tickets. You probably know the one.

Yep i was there!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Since folks have alluded to Jericho being a not great person, is there any background on this? I might just not be up on any of his drama from recent times. I haven't followed wrestling closely in a while, and only recently came back.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Rarity posted:

Oh god, you're right. UGHHHHHH. I assumed that had been discussed beforehand, especially since I think Hager would absolutely shoot on him otherwise. Still, a lot of bad poo poo coming out of AEW.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Red posted:

Since folks have alluded to Jericho being a not great person, is there any background on this? I might just not be up on any of his drama from recent times. I haven't followed wrestling closely in a while, and only recently came back.

He has used his podcast to platform COVID truthers, flat earthers and Donald Trump Jr, he has followed and liked really sketchy people on Twitter and after George Floyd died he was posting All Lives Matter on his social media platforms.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

When stuff like this happens is their any concern that a troll would completely make something up that can’t really be proven false and ruin someone’s career?

It seems like one false anonymous allegation could really destroy someone.

I’m taking all the allegations that come out as fact but it is unnerving how easy it would be to ruin someone’s life if you wanted to

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

the escape goat posted:

Oh god, you're right. UGHHHHHH. I assumed that had been discussed beforehand, especially since I think Hager would absolutely shoot on him otherwise. Still, a lot of bad poo poo coming out of AEW.

I mean, I assume the spot had been worked out in advance but that just says that AEW management thought sexually assaulting a woman cause her husband is a heel was ok

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HOT! New Memes posted:

When stuff like this happens is their any concern that a troll would completely make something up that can’t really be proven false and ruin someone’s career?

I’m taking all the allegations that come out as fact but it is unnerving how easy it would be to ruin someone’s life if you wanted to

False accusations pop up every so often and by and wide they've never gone anywhere. The talking point of "someone could be ruined if they're falsely accused" is largely a myth.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HOT! New Memes posted:

Yo, this kind of post is why rape culture exists. Stop it. Believe victims.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Red posted:

he made racist jokes about atsushi onita in his first book so he’s never really been anything more than a moron but he also thought wrestling was real until he went to wrestling school so he’s mega doo doo dum

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rarity posted:

And they did it again a few weeks ago with Marko kissing Leva

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

the escape goat posted:

It was a situation where the narrative was "Well everyone had to agree with it so what's the problem!?" when the reality is no one should be in a position where they have to say no to that because if it's Dustin's idea and Hager is okay with it, even if his wife isn't comfortable with it, good chance she'll feel pressured to say it's fine.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the Jake the snake Brandi thing was also terrible

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Akileese posted:

It was a situation where the narrative was "Well everyone had to agree with it so what's the problem!?" when the reality is no one should be in a position where they have to say no to that because if it's Dustin's idea and Hager is okay with it, even if his wife isn't comfortable with it, good chance she'll feel pressured to say it's fine.

Yeah, for sure.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

HOT! New Memes posted:

I've never really seen a situation where a false allegation actually "ruined" someone. They happen but they're rare and experience says they get sniffed out. The "false allegation ruined this famous person's life!" thing just doesn't happen.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Akileese posted:

Even if she was fine with it they still shouldn't have done it because it tells people it's ok to sexually assault people

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, it could. Absolutely. Like, I know people who've said poo poo like Sammy and then got far better because they grew up and we're taught "oh, it's not normal to talk like that even though that's how my dad, uncles, and cousins all talk."

i hate that excuse. If you're grown up, you should know better than to use this language.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

HOT! New Memes posted:

haha yeah all like 50 people that have spoken up are making it up :jerkbag:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Rarity posted:

Even if she was fine with it they still shouldn't have done it because it tells people it's ok to sexually assault people

I’m definitely not giving ‘em a pass on this, it’s hosed up and absolutely not ok.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

HOT! New Memes posted:

It happens, and you're right that there's nothing to stop anyone from claiming anything. But for one you'd have to be pretty confident that what you claim can't be contested by evidence, and it's a pretty hosed up line that most people wouldn't step over.

However, we've seen it these last few days. Someone has accused Bieber of sexual assault and gave a date and a place. Bieber has produced so much evidence to the contrary that there's no way anyone could come away believing her.

In reality though these instances are extremely rare.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Rarity posted:

Yeah this is the ultimate kicker. It could have been proposed by Hager's wife herself and it'd still be terrible on message alone.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what's much more common than the spectre of false accusation is that a bunch of people speak out against the same person who then continues to live their life and work in their career unharmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I’m glad the guys are switching things up and taking this seriously.

https://twitter.com/schadengraps/status/1275053884264726528?s=21

https://twitter.com/schadengraps/status/1275053887108427776?s=21

https://twitter.com/schadengraps/status/1275053893907443713?s=21