Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice.

Think anyone on their side will get sacked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Steakandchips posted:

Nice.

Think anyone on their side will get sacked?

Doubt it. We will do our PR thing, and they'll smile their smiles and when they hang up, the potato will get thrown over the fence and it'll land on our property.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure it's one of those things that falls under multiple people's areas of responsibility.

When everyone is responsible, no one is responsible.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanatosian posted:

I'm sure it's one of those things that falls under multiple people's areas of responsibility.

None of us are as dumb as all of us.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanatosian posted:

This. One goes into a meeting with them and there are always at least eight people present. It’s never one guy and his crew either. It’s always a multidisciplinary group gathered “for buy in” guaranteeing no single person makes a decision and thus no single person is the project owner and thus can be blamed.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Thanatosian posted:

You should be thanking them; they answered all of your questions about work/life balance without you even having to ask them. Really convenient to knock those out of the way right off the top.
Pretty much. In Korea, some companies do after work hours interview if the interview isn't over an hour long and the candidates requested for it (but that's a big negative impression on the candidates). But yeah being told to come for 3 hours interview after work hours just answered any questions I had regarding work hours, and you can be sure that there're no overtime payments either!

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Marketing contractors: we want you to switch your site to WordPress.

Sure, the office you want to go to is those two big glass doors that lead outside, with the company name backwards.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

grillster posted:

Marketing contractors: we want you to switch your site to WordPress.

Sure, the office you want to go to is those two big glass doors that lead outside, with the company name backwards.

counter-argument, our website is in wordpress and is fine

I don't ever have to touch it, we pay a consulting firm some amount of money to take care of it.

I don't even have to talk to them directly, the marketing department does.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't give a flying gently caress what marketing does with the website, as long as my sole responsibility is creating a DNS entry for it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't give a flying gently caress what marketing does with the website, as long as my sole responsibility is creating a DNS entry for it.

You're good with computers, right? I want a small change done on our website.

"So, on this page we want a video, can you change this border color to a darker gray? And then on this page we want a shopping cart so people can order our products."

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

It's great giving it to marketing and all... but who is going to make sure it doesn't become swiss cheese when they've been tasked with the implementation of customer database interactions...

Perhaps the marketing -department- can handle that, but will the marketing contractor third party company faithfully follow through? Will the marketing contractor suggesting this route have an accurate understanding of customer-facing infrastructure required by the company? Will they use plugins that are trustworthy? Who holds them accountable after the check clears?

Big questions when considering a marketing contractor that has a WordPress department trying to sell a solution that genuinely needs a few more months of deliberate planning.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is the correct relationship for IT to have with the company website.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

grillster posted:

It's great giving it to marketing and all... but who is going to make sure it doesn't become swiss cheese when they've been tasked with the implementation of customer database interactions...

Perhaps the marketing -department- can handle that, but will the marketing contractor third party company faithfully follow through? Will the marketing contractor suggesting this route have an accurate understanding of customer-facing infrastructure required by the company? Will they use plugins that are trustworthy? Who holds them accountable after the check clears?

Big questions when considering a marketing contractor that has a WordPress department trying to sell a solution that genuinely needs a few more months of deliberate planning.

There's not going to be any routes between the website and production, so if that data sits in production then they better hope it has an API. If not, it's not going to happen. If you mean a standalone database for the web server, that's on them and their vendor. As is any sort of security or audit requests.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Unless your business is making websites or api's, you should not be making websites or api's.

And even then you should think twice

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

There's not going to be any routes between the website and production, so if that data sits in production then they better hope it has an API. If not, it's not going to happen. If you mean a standalone database for the web server, that's on them and their vendor. As is any sort of security or audit requests.

I'm leaving a lot of details out which is leading you to assumptions.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

grillster posted:

Put that on a loving tshirt with the grenade logo.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
The ‘kid’ ( I say kid by he’s like 25 probably) of a C-level redid our company website in Wordpress. Well, his ‘company’ redid the site. The finished product doesn’t look good at all and his company folded in the meantime. But good news! He was hired by the company in some sort of marketing position.

First week on the job he asked me about why he couldn’t access his 365 apps. He was looking at the office.com homepage and trying to click on the photos they have of the software icons.

So we will continue to have a bad public site until there’s some sort of big management shakeup.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

grillster posted:

lol fair enough

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

The ‘kid’ ( I say kid by he’s like 25 probably) of a C-level redid our company website in Wordpress. Well, his ‘company’ redid the site. The finished product doesn’t look good at all and his company folded in the meantime. But good news! He was hired by the company in some sort of marketing position.

First week on the job he asked me about why he couldn’t access his 365 apps. He was looking at the office.com homepage and trying to click on the photos they have of the software icons.

So we will continue to have a bad public site until there’s some sort of big management shakeup.

Say hello to your new CEO.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Moo the cow posted:

Say hello to your new CEO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_67JbvXLrmw

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Don’t care what they use WordPress for as long as it’s not connected to company’s internal/product services at all. If they wanna serve static website then it’s fine, but if they wanna hook up WordPress that’s a big NO.

Edit: Any time there was a word out that someone managed to find vulnerability in third party services, I saw sudden spike in security breach attempts. eg. WordPress and Drupal.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 23, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Did a warranty swap of the CEO's Surface Book due to the battery swelling issue.

The replacement SurfaceBook came with Windows 10 1703 installed...... Just... WTF?

It'll be faster to just install 1909 fresh. (not moving to 2004 yet!)

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 23, 2020

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I wouldn't even put 2004 in my home environment rn

stevewm
May 10, 2005

klosterdev posted:

I wouldn't even put 2004 in my home environment rn

I have a GPO set to defer feature updates for 31 days.. When I seen all the problems with 2004, I bumped it to 365.

I just still can't believe they shipped this thing that way. It had a version newer than that out of the box brand new.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

stevewm posted:

Did a warranty swap of the CEO's Surface Book due to the battery swelling issue.

The replacement SurfaceBook came with Windows 10 1703 installed...... Just... WTF?

It'll be faster to just install 1909 fresh. (not moving to 2004 yet!)

Work is shitcanning Surface devices entirely. Almost every single one that's been deployed has had some sort of issue, from battery swelling to flicking video outputs, to where people actively don't want the dmn things!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

What is wrong with 2004? Before I start to google I would like to hear it from folks here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agrikk posted:

What is wrong with 2004? Before I start to google I would like to hear it from folks here.

I have been running it at home for about a week or so, haven't noticed any issues. I heard something about Storage Spaces, but I believe Microsoft halted updates to those machines.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I assume people are referring to the massive printing issues, though that's apparently also been put in an update from last Tuesday to make sure EVERY edition of Win10 has the same opportunities for massive printing issues to pop up, thanks Microsoft.

But other than that yeah haven't paid much attention, may not do 2004 and wait for 2009. It does seem pretty clear Microsoft wants you to use the 09 versions, at least going by the support lengths since the fall editions get 3 years of support and the spring editions get a year and a half.

Also this is one case where they should have copied Apple and do yearly revs of Win10 - maybe they could even do some QA in all that time! What an achievement that would be! But no instead we get half-yearly poo poo shoved out the door with one or two new features and a raft of problems.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dragonshardz posted:

Work is shitcanning Surface devices entirely. Almost every single one that's been deployed has had some sort of issue, from battery swelling to flicking video outputs, to where people actively don't want the dmn things!

We've got many employees using them, and are looking at expanding our use. :colbert:

People here really seem to like them.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Only issue I have seen is it resets everything to Windows defaults when you install it. Breaking shared drives in workgroups etc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

We've got many employees using them, and are looking at expanding our use. :colbert:

People here really seem to like them.

How long have you had them? Surface Laptops or Surface Books?

Everyone I know who rolled out Surface Books regretted it a year later. The hardware failure rate is astronomical.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Well that's to be expected when their QA is "gently caress it, we're letting users test it in prod"

stevewm
May 10, 2005

dragonshardz posted:

We have a few Surface devices.. There won't be anymore... ever.

The Surface Books where absolute poo poo when we first got them. A laptop that can't sleep out of the box? Really?! Also, the Surface Dock was all but unusable.. The CEO was ready to return it all, until they finally put out a firmware update that (mostly) fixed it.

First time I've had to warranty one. It was nearly a 4 week turnaround time. Had to wait for them to ship a special box because of the failed battery, which took over 2 weeks.

And then they ship it back with a build of Windows older than what it came out of the box with originally.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I miss my work Surface Pro 3. I'm already on my second T480 (first one died in under a year), it spins the fans up to full hurricane on the slightest load (but still throttles) and the docking solutions are underbaked.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

How long have you had them? Surface Laptops or Surface Books?

Everyone I know who rolled out Surface Books regretted it a year later. The hardware failure rate is astronomical.
Surface Pros, mostly. We have a handful of Surface Laptop users, and two Surface Book users (both using the OG Surface Book): a senior VP who got one as a pilot device for a possible hardware refresh and liked it, and me, who has the senior VP's hot spare. We give IT people hot spares of executive devices to use (helps to insure that the executive devices have working, well-tested spares); I only use mine for meetings at HQ, which is to say I had to go in to HQ last week to remediate patching on it. Definitely would not roll out to the whole office, but it's great as a meeting device.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bull3964 posted:

I miss my work Surface Pro 3. I'm already on my second T480 (first one died in under a year), it spins the fans up to full hurricane on the slightest load (but still throttles) and the docking solutions are underbaked.

I can’t believe our T470S’s are still kicking

I mean I can, but I’m impressed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I can’t believe our T470S’s are still kicking

I mean I can, but I’m impressed.
*looks down at work T460*

Ummm... Yeah, that's amazing.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanatosian posted:

*looks down at work T460*

Ummm... Yeah, that's amazing.

I have a 440 bouncing around, though I barely use it.

Has Lenovo build quality gone down in the past year or two? And/or, what would people recommend to replace them? We've always stuck with them for the theoretical build quality because our users are gibbering monkeys.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Yeah I have to admit that we've had a lot of problems with the Surface not docking/undocking properly.
It is not a smooth transition especially if you have a lot of poo poo plugged in.
The Surface Book is trash though.

Still, overall I've been pretty happy with the performance of my Surface, docking issues aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had a 430 until late last year when the plug gave out and rather than buy a new plug and take most of the computer out, I just bought a new one since it was old and slow and had a tiny hard drive and no battery life.