Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

i am legit looking forward smokas take on this

ishipbreakers is super awesome, really great. I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
just pulled the back end off a ship to yank out and salvage the power core

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I put a pin in my unplayed games list again - Hard Reset (Redux) - yeah this is a throwback to old-school linear corridor shooters and no mistake (I don't remember the last time I had healthpacks instead of health regen).
i’m playing cod:ww2 because of ps+ and having health packs again in sp was kind of refreshing tbqh

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

miles and miles of literally identical corridors and arenas, tons of one-hit kill bullshit, not enough ammo, really inaccurate weapons, and the checkpoint system is super dumb and only saves at some random point in the middle of nowhere instead of after a big battle so you have to keep playing the same fight over and over again.
i remember all of these criticisms being made at the time but wasn’t enough to slow it down. killer apps and all that. also the beginning of the end for “considered sp with added mp” as a standard, rather than the reverse

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

it is pretty cool how you can press tab in the middle of the game and it instantly switches between the original graphics and the remake ones, though

command & conquer remastered does this too, if you press spacebar during a game it'll toggle between old and new graphics

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

The aesthetic of hardspace is pretty much perfect. Who knew how great outlaw country music was for space games?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Scope posted:

The aesthetic of hardspace is pretty much perfect. Who knew how great outlaw country music was for space games?
i think rebel galaxy does it too. i’ll have to fire it up again soon

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i got the halo master chef collection and man, original halo is not as good a game as i remembered. miles and miles of literally identical corridors and arenas, tons of one-hit kill bullshit, not enough ammo, really inaccurate weapons, and the checkpoint system is super dumb and only saves at some random point in the middle of nowhere instead of after a big battle so you have to keep playing the same fight over and over again.

i guess it was a huge deal in 2001 and it was the first real shooter on a console after goldeneye, but ugh

it is pretty cool how you can press tab in the middle of the game and it instantly switches between the original graphics and the remake ones, though

very same. like even when I was dumber in 2001 I thought it was a lot of fun up until the flood levels. so I was prepared to do that. it can still be kind of fun but just haven’t felt like playing it. Lots of fun in multiplayer but last few times I’ve checked it took more than 10 minutes to get a game.

I keep waffling between paying for C&C again or just letting it go

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

command & conquer remastered does this too, if you press spacebar during a game it'll toggle between old and new graphics

same with monkey island 2

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i got the halo master chef collection and man, original halo is not as good a game as i remembered. miles and miles of literally identical corridors and arenas, tons of one-hit kill bullshit, not enough ammo, really inaccurate weapons, and the checkpoint system is super dumb and only saves at some random point in the middle of nowhere instead of after a big battle so you have to keep playing the same fight over and over again.

i guess it was a huge deal in 2001 and it was the first real shooter on a console after goldeneye, but ugh

halo was insanely bad and boring but it was the first playable fps on a console

burning swine
May 26, 2004

My Halo 1 experience was with the original 2001 PC port

it was the first game I had ever seen that limited the framerate by default (to 30!)

I hated basically every second of it but kept trucking because I figured all the halo fanatics must be right about something

they were not

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
halo 1 is not really holding up to me, but drat Reach is a good game

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

was the original c&c this annoyingly hard? I only ever played red alert originally and gently caress me is it annoying having to micro manage each individual dude so he doesn't dive under the nearest tank or flame his own friemds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

was the original c&c this annoyingly hard?

i don't have that remake but that's what i've heard about that game, yep

could also just be broken? i got C&C 3 a while back in a cheap sale and it was so loving hard and there was one level in particular i tried like 30 times before i gave up and went to look for cheats. then i learned that the latest patches, which the game had of course, had rebalanced the game for multiplayer but also completely broken the campaign because they didn't edit the levels to accommodate the new build costs/damage/etc, or even keep the old values for the campaign. gg

i beat halo 1 and i think the checkpoint system in that game is actually based on killing some specific enemy in each battle/killing every enemy in the area. so sometimes if there's a guy hiding in a corner and you just continue on to the rest of the level, it won't save your progress. brilliant

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 18, 2020

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

was the original c&c this annoyingly hard? I only ever played red alert originally and gently caress me is it annoying having to micro manage each individual dude so he doesn't dive under the nearest tank or flame his own friemds

I was able to get pretty far in the game as a 9 year old or whatever. I haven’t played the remaster but I understand things have gotten harder with some of the tweaks.

the troops being dumb has been a thing in those early engines and I think they said fixing pathing and stuff would break the game

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SmokaDustbowl posted:

ishipbreakers is super awesome, really great. I love it

heck yeah, then its going in the queue after i finish some of the stuff I'm playing now. I figure youd be the toughest critic of a proper space salvage game so that goes a long way

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

heck yeah, then its going in the queue after i finish some of the stuff I'm playing now. I figure youd be the toughest critic of a proper space salvage game so that goes a long way

once you get the hang of it it's really great. just zipping around and skeletonizing ships. I hosed up today venting gas, and the gas canisters exploded which caused the reactor core to explode. once my poor computer came out of single digit fps, there was just this massive debris field of metal chunks everywhere, it was awesome

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
doing a tether chain and watching all the side panels peel off a ship is so satisfying. then you gently caress up and hit yourself in the face with a cargo crate

here's an accurate video of learning the controls and breaking your first ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ6HQL8orL4

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 19, 2020

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
the best mp shooter since q3a is now on steam (if you didnt already own it)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1237970/Titanfall_2/

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Kuvo posted:

the best mp shooter since q3a is now on steam (if you didnt already own it)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1237970/Titanfall_2/

Quite a claim. And at $10, it will make a nice addition to my ever growing library of unplayed steam games.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
it also has a GREAT sp campaign

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/romero/status/1275026229524074496?s=20

:toot:

also I picked Titanfall 2 up for the singleplayer and it's pretty good, though you have to be dead-on accurate with the guns, they seem extremely precise and unforgiving of lax aim compared to anything else I've played recently with m+kb.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://twitter.com/romero/status/1275026229524074496?s=20

:toot:

also I picked Titanfall 2 up for the singleplayer and it's pretty good, though you have to be dead-on accurate with the guns, they seem extremely precise and unforgiving of lax aim compared to anything else I've played recently with m+kb.
tf2 sp is a lot of fun particularly that one level. you unlock more options as you go, some of them being less finnicky with aiming.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i too got titanfall 2 and i just found a robo samurai sword, and now i can do robot ninja moves. so that's pretty cool

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Uptime Sinclair posted:

tf2 sp is a lot of fun particularly that one level. you unlock more options as you go, some of them being less finnicky with aiming.

I like how it's not even the last stage of the campaign, they just dump the gimmick afterwards and never reference it again

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

I like how it's not even the last stage of the campaign, they just dump the gimmick afterwards and never reference it again
remarkable restraint tbqh, you could make most of a game around the gimmick

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
its a great level and not even the best setpiece in the game imo

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kuvo posted:

its a great level and not even the best setpiece in the game imo
to me its the most memorable, but i rather liked the level where you jump from ship to ship in atmosphere too

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Did anyone play Sunset Overdrive and is it as fun an open-world shooter as it looks? I saw it on Windows Store (lol) for a couple of quid but didn't buy it, just saw it on a proper Steam key for a little extra outlay and the video reviews I checked give it a very vertical Saints Row vibe to them.

I just got out of the Titanfall2 Sewers Sludge Tunnels, so I still have to find theses fun levels.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I just got out of the Titanfall2 Sewers Sludge Tunnels, so I still have to find theses fun levels.
yeah just give it a little bit longer. the sewers suck and you don’t have any good loadout options yet

i am still playing control but haven’t gotten levitation yet. i am to understand things truly pop off once I have

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Did anyone play Sunset Overdrive and is it as fun an open-world shooter as it looks? I saw it on Windows Store (lol) for a couple of quid but didn't buy it, just saw it on a proper Steam key for a little extra outlay and the video reviews I checked give it a very vertical Saints Row vibe to them.
it's really fun, and definitely worth playing, especially if you can get it cheap

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

"tf2" is taken, call it something else

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Uptime Sinclair posted:

yeah just give it a little bit longer. the sewers suck and you don’t have any good loadout options yet

i am still playing control but haven’t gotten levitation yet. i am to understand things truly pop off once I have

yeah it gives you way more options for approaching combat

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Tankakern posted:

"tf2" is taken, call it something else

oh. how about "the good tf2"?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Just got done with 'Gargantuan IKEA Flatpack Houses' and 'We Really Liked "Singularity" the Game', yeah its picking up as I go along.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I was super stoked for streets of rage 4 but it's just ok

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Achmed Jones posted:

I was super stoked for streets of rage 4 but it's just ok

i dont know anything about it, but i think the time of those side scrolling whack-a-mole games is long past

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

carry on then posted:

yeah it gives you way more options for approaching combat

last few levels really rip too, and by then you’re fully equipped and kicking rear end

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

i dont know anything about it, but i think the time of those side scrolling whack-a-mole games is long past

castle crashers still holds up imo. fun genre for coop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Zam Wesell posted:

castle crashers still holds up imo. fun genre for coop

i had so much fun playing cc with a friend

should i buy Control for $18? it's on sale atm