Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ott_ posted:

What's the best way to experience Oblivion for the first time?

get someone else to install 300 mods for you and play that version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ott_ posted:

What's the best way to experience Oblivion for the first time?
Here's one guide:
https://medium.com/the-backlog-gog-com-stream-team-blog/an-oblivion-modding-guide-9274b2640231

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Thanks! This looks awesome.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Honestly just play it the way it is.

Like I know that probably sounds pedantic but the games biggest problems (potato face, wonky leveling system, scaled difficulty and conversation pie) only really get annoying after a couple dozen hours of play. I think if I started *without* those things though I'd also be wrestling with playing a version of the game with new, unintended problems on top of the initial ones.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Install and play Nehrim instead, it's on Steam now.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Nehrim doesn't have that 'feel' though.

I agree that Oblivion should just be played as is, when you're going in blind. Oblivion has some great quest lines, such as the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. Skyrim kinda ruined wat the Thieves Guild is all about imo.

edit: poo poo, I'm reinstalling Skyrim for the umpteenth time. Somebody talk some sense into me.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 22, 2020

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

IMO all you need for Oblivion if you’ve never played it/haven’t played it recently is a mod to fix leveling and Darn UI. The leveling mod can even be optional if you’re just smart about how you build your class, but the UI hasn’t aged well.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Maskars overhaul

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

kedo posted:

IMO all you need for Oblivion if you’ve never played it/haven’t played it recently is a mod to fix leveling and Darn UI. The leveling mod can even be optional if you’re just smart about how you build your class, but the UI hasn’t aged well.

I would add Really AEVWD/TES4LODGen to this as well. The pop-up is otherwise really bad and jarring.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Maskar's cool but you need to RTFM for that one. Crafting bandages, cooking, and feigning death to escape Murder Panthers are all critical in the early levels, and the mod doesn't add an in-game explanation for anything.

The whole mod was designed be fiddled with in its .ini settings, so tweak the difficulty variables to your preferences. I change the default setting of unleveled Oblivion gates, so I don't have to worry about a shitton of Daedroth when I'm doing Kvatch at level 8.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

edit: poo poo, I'm reinstalling Skyrim for the umpteenth time. Somebody talk some sense into me.

Might be too late but worth a shot: The dragons in Skyrim are basically cliffracers and just as annoying.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

Nehrim doesn't have that 'feel' though.

I agree that Oblivion should just be played as is, when you're going in blind. Oblivion has some great quest lines, such as the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. Skyrim kinda ruined wat the Thieves Guild is all about imo.

What I find funny is that the Skyrim Dark Brotherhood quest was easily the highlight of the game for me yet some people really, really hate it. But the funny thing is that people who hate it tend to praise the Oblivion DB for the exact same reasons I and many others love the Skyrim DB questline. We love both DB's because they feel like a family. A murderous, potentially psychopathic family, but still a group of people you love more dearly than anyone else in the world. Their destruction was the most emotionally poignant moment in al of Skyrim.

The fact Oblivion has no gamepad support turned me off it instantly. I can't loving play these games without a controller.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

John F Bennett posted:

Don't know your modding ability/desire, but I just posted a current modding guide to the mod thread yesterday. Check it out if you want!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787350&pagenumber=250#post505872243

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
thanks

i

hate

it

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I know it’s five months old, but I just saw it for the first time the other day and I feel it will be a good watch if you’re just getting into Oblivion for the first time. Or not!

https://youtu.be/E5ix0_W-ouI

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
wait how on earth would Cicero be able to kill the oblivion pc?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

i am tim! posted:

I know it’s five months old, but I just saw it for the first time the other day and I feel it will be a good watch if you’re just getting into Oblivion for the first time. Or not!

https://youtu.be/E5ix0_W-ouI

Wolfsheim posted:

thanks

i

hate

it

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

NikkolasKing posted:

What I find funny is that the Skyrim Dark Brotherhood quest was easily the highlight of the game for me yet some people really, really hate it. But the funny thing is that people who hate it tend to praise the Oblivion DB for the exact same reasons I and many others love the Skyrim DB questline. We love both DB's because they feel like a family. A murderous, potentially psychopathic family, but still a group of people you love more dearly than anyone else in the world. Their destruction was the most emotionally poignant moment in al of Skyrim.

The fact Oblivion has no gamepad support turned me off it instantly. I can't loving play these games without a controller.

Yeah. Far and away above any of the other factions, the DB seems like a group that lives and works with eachother.

The College of Winterhold never really does anything with any of the other professors. The Companions all feel like cardboard cutouts and most don't even interact. The only interesting people in the Thieves Guild are the side NPCs that you never have reason to talk to.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Doesn't the Hero of Kvatch canonically become Sheogorath after doing the Shivering Isles anyways?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Goa Tse-tung posted:

One of Cicero's journals has him tell the tale of the time he assassinated an Arena Grand Champion by pretending to be his biggest supporter (i.e., an Adoring Fan reference) and murdering the Champ when following him around.

People are morons and don't get it's a reference and in spite of the fact that it was at least 180 or so years after TES IV and believe that Cicero was the Adoring Fan and killed your character.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sky Shadowing posted:

One of Cicero's journals has him tell the tale of the time he assassinated an Arena Grand Champion by pretending to be his biggest supporter (i.e., an Adoring Fan reference) and murdering the Champ when following him around.

People are morons and don't get it's a reference and in spite of the fact that it was at least 180 or so years after TES IV and believe that Cicero was the Adoring Fan and killed your character.

You could tell me Cicero was the avatar of one of the setting's gods and I'd be like "Yeah, that makes sense," tbh

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

if I was immortal and I had the Adoring Fan following me around for 180 years, death would be a mercy

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I just like to feel valued

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Doesn't the Hero of Kvatch canonically become Sheogorath after doing the Shivering Isles anyways?

I had forgotten to answer this, but yes, during Sheogorath's quest in Skyrim he mentions he was there for Martin becoming a dragon god (main quest), and several other references to the faction questlines, too "Butterflies (SI), blood (anything really but probably Arena quetline), a Fox (Thieves Guild), a Severed Head (DB)."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Randaconda posted:

You could tell me Cicero was the avatar of one of the setting's gods and I'd be like "Yeah, that makes sense," tbh
I was surprised when he turned out to be "just" an expert assassin and insane death cultist.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfgf1ACDZFA

FLEX LIKE SITHIS

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaZXPx1kdtg

young scrolls making a comeback now that twitch is flooded with DMCAs

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Young souls is a goddamn treasure and the full EP's have some great poo poo on them. OTOH I'm kinda drunk so my taste in music may be skewed.

edit: Tag yourself, I'm the chick mentioned in horny who won't shut up about being a morrowind elitist

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 23, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Randaconda posted:

A real avatar of the gods would just be standing in some dark cave somewhere, waiting for you to bring them a scroll of divine intervention so they can teleport to safety.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

A real avatar of the gods would just be standing in some dark cave somewhere, waiting for you to bring them a scroll of divine intervention so they can teleport to safety.

How dare you, that happened like one time and she wasn't an avatar of anything

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My dream TES game is The Song of Pelinal: A PlatinumGames Joint

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

My personal dream game is TES VI.

Okay but seriously if I had to pick a spin off to get made it'd be a Total War collaboration set during the Tiber Wars. Featuring the ability to create your own avatar character as your personal general.

Two modes, a storyline mode where you're a general in Tiber Septim's legions and help him conquer Tamriel, and a sandbox mode ("Dragon Break" mode or something).

And the storyline mode tutorial has you escape from a prison that gets attacked by Tiber Septim's army, and your leadership impresses the Emperor and he lets you into his forces.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Sky Shadowing posted:

My personal dream game is TES VI.

Okay but seriously if I had to pick a spin off to get made it'd be a Total War collaboration set during the Tiber Wars. Featuring the ability to create your own avatar character as your personal general.

Two modes, a storyline mode where you're a general in Tiber Septim's legions and help him conquer Tamriel, and a sandbox mode ("Dragon Break" mode or something).

And the storyline mode tutorial has you escape from a prison that gets attacked by Tiber Septim's army, and your leadership impresses the Emperor and he lets you into his forces.

This doesn't appeal to the Skyrim crowd

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Ott_ posted:

This doesn't appeal to the Skyrim crowd

I like both type of games. Also, one of the more popular map and race mods of Civilization 5 + 6 are based on Tamriel.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Sload game with a property management mode like in yakuza 0

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Yakuza 0 style game taking place in Vivec City in which Maraander Rivulu, a young tough in Cammona Tong crosses paths with Glaor Maorven who runs a cornerclub in Hlaalu Waistworks that is also connected to a Morag Tong guildhouse.

Notable quests include sneaking into Jobasha's to steal a copy of Lusty Argonian Maid for a young dunmer boy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want dudes with curved. swords. loving up Thalmor in the next one.

And random giant creatures falling out of the sky and dying. it's still Bethesda

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I have said so before ITT but in IV I want to fight an iteration of the Numidium Shadow of the Colossus style.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

I have said so before ITT but in IV I want to fight an iteration of the Numidium Shadow of the Colossus style.

Bethesda made a kind of precedent with Liberty Prime so this does seem like the logical next step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Well looks like the forums aren't dead yet so I will continue my Elder Scrolls talking. I finished playing the Morrowind DLCs. Tribunal has an okay story and one very good sidequest (the one where you have to remember the lines to a play) but is mostly crap. None of the new dungeons or enemies are interesting at all and Mournhold is very ugly. Also some Imperial guy muttered about wanting to eat a baby's arse through a sewer grate.

Bloodmoon is much, much better because the best part of Morrowind was always exploring the landmass and this actually gives you more to explore. The story is really boring, but that is made up for by it being insanely fun to become a werewolf and leap around the island in like 10 seconds. The Skaal pilgrimage quest is also a bit annoying and as always the directions the questgivers tell you are complete poo poo, which is made even worse by Solstheim not having roads. I was constantly wishing for the mercy of the quest arrow.

I didn't finish any of the faction storylines because I wasn't having fun with them. They sometimes have fun intrigue and stuff but most of the experience is just endless miserably poo poo fetch quests with an array of mostly interchangeable characters.

Moving on to Oblivion, I've started trying to mod it. It was running very smoothly when I tested it pre-mods but now the music isn't working and it's stuttering like hell. Think I'll do a clean reinstall and try to mod it again without trying to use Wrye Bash. Maybe go for an even more minimal list of just the unofficial patches and maybe Darn UI.