Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm about 1/3 of the way through RE4 on the Wii and until you guys and my 9 year old son brought it up didn't even realize the boxes were gone. I don't think that game needs them but agree it might be good idea to include them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
RE4 just does a pretty great job in general of never making you feel like you really need a place to store items. Anything plot- or puzzle-related gets its own infinite inventory and the weapon/utility inventory is big enough that you typically end up carrying far more stuff than you realistically need - and whatever you feel is superfluous, you can sell to buy more upgrades for the stuff you actually do want to use.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would have liked replacing an item on pickup, so when I can finally use that special item one hour from now, it will be where the herbs used to be. Full inventory? Replace with a junk item, use and discard special item, pick up junk item. Keep item boxes around, but no more runs to the box.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Maybe with current technology we can finally show Leon dragging around a comically (and increasingly) large suitcase everywhere on screen.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Captain Hygiene posted:

Maybe with current technology we can finally show Leon dragging around a comically (and increasingly) large suitcase everywhere on screen.

Leon hauling all of his stolen loot from the castle like dragging a vampire coffin out in Boktai

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Death Stranding already kind of lets you do that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I was just about to say. Death Stranding is basically "highly visible inventory management: the game."

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

chiming in to say the thought of replaying RE1 through RE3 fills me with tender feelings while the thought of replaying RE0 fills me with nothing but disgust and boredom

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
RE0 occupies the same tier of morbid curiosity that RECV does for me, where once every couple of years the bad things will be drowned out by nostalgia and I'll fire it up, finish it with a sour taste in my mouth, and then they cycle begins anew once the bitterness fades.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
RE0 went to some vaguely interesting design spaces with two person teams in an RE game, so in that sense it was at least a useful exercise that got fleshed out more in other, better games.

RE:CV had nothing of value, and no lesson was learned in the making of it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RE0's biggest flaw is that it's kind of a pain to play, while RECV is just straight-out incredibly boring even when it actually tries to do something new. If I had to pick, I think I'd rather play RE0 again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mulva posted:

RE0 went to some vaguely interesting design spaces with two person teams in an RE game, so in that sense it was at least a useful exercise that got fleshed out more in other, better games.

RE:CV had nothing of value, and no lesson was learned in the making of it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dangerously close to a cat eyes reveal, which is something I'd like to see in a remake

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Even that is mostly dialed up in CVX. And not worth it, like most Wesker poo poo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on RE0. I ended up just getting the RE1 remaster. Getting used to the fixed camera and combat is weird. Hopefully, I'm able to make it through the whole game. The last time I attempted to play 1 was the "director's cut" version on PS1 that wasn't actually a director's cut. I'm amazed the graphics for this game look so good still.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RE0 also has an unpatched bug on the Bone fairly early in the game where you hardcrash going through a specific, plot mandatory door and the only solution iirc is to start a totally new playthrough.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

RE0 confirms that Survivor is canon and as important an event as Raccoon City. So...there's that.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I played through 0 a year ago for the first time and I didn’t hate it as much as I thought it would

If you’re a Resident Evil superfan and absolutely starved for RE content while still under quarantine you could probably do worse

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Dangerously close to a cat eyes reveal, which is something I'd like to see in a remake

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

When it comes to RE0, all I gotta do is post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ6zSCXZ9Us

My all time favorite RE save theme.

Zero also has a couple unique enemies that make it stand out. Won't say what because Spoilers but I liked them.

I always wondered what happened to Billy. Hell, whatever happened to Rebecca? You gotta remember hat in the RE Timeline, she was only 18 in RE0/RE1. It has been over 20 years since then.

In any event, I thought they had a good dynamic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rebecca shows up to be a damsel in distress in the cg movie re: vendetta, which takes place just before 7. she quit stars shortly after 1 and became a professor working on cures for the various viruses umbrella shits out

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Hell, a remake of 0 in the vein of 2 and 3 could be really good. 0 isn't really great, but I'll say that it is good, but with some major missteps that, if fixed, would make it great.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

site posted:

rebecca shows up to be a damsel in distress in the cg movie re: vendetta, which takes place just before 7. she quit stars shortly after 1 and became a professor working on cures for the various viruses umbrella shits out

If the stage play is canon, Rebecca was living in Minnesota in 2005 when an outbreak hit Rochester, which suggests she was working at the Mayo Clinic. She subsequently joined the BSAA, went through another outbreak while there, and moved on to a research position for Vendetta.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

If the stage play is canon,

the what now???

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What, you’ve never heard of the canon Japan-only Biohazard stage drama?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RE0 has a solid enough foundation and enough cool setpieces to it that I could see a remake working out well for it, but I do kinda have to agree with people who say that that under the bottom line, it's just a really redundant game. It's basically straight-up just a rehash of RE1. There's nothing it does to make it stand out as a game on its own merits.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Anonymous Robot posted:

What, you’ve never heard of the canon Japan-only Biohazard stage drama?

i can honestly say this is news to me

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

site posted:

i can honestly say this is news to me
You might be able to find a recording of it on Youtube. It's an experience.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

site posted:

the what now???

Warning: This stage play is canon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my god, its full of S.T.A.R.S.

lol that dance number

e: that was amazing

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Just to point it out, the actor with light-brown hair is playing the role of Piers from RE6 and the one with brown-red hair is Chris. :allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jill: "I hate every zombie I see, from T-Virus to Virus G! No, you'll never make a monster out of me!"

Giant Umbrella logos are stripped down to reveal Resident Evil 5 dummy corps, Jill inexplicably rips her RE3 top and skirt combo and a wig off to reveal RE5 bodysuit.

Jill: "Oh my God, I was wrong! Wesker's alive all along! Oh you've finally made a monster!"

Dancing chorus line of monsters, antagonists: "Yes we've finally made a monster!"

All: "You've finally made a monster out of meeeeee!"

Jill: "I love you, Chris Redfield!"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cardiovorax posted:

RE0 has a solid enough foundation and enough cool setpieces to it that I could see a remake working out well for it, but I do kinda have to agree with people who say that that under the bottom line, it's just a really redundant game. It's basically straight-up just a rehash of RE1. There's nothing it does to make it stand out as a game on its own merits.

I've been meaning to see if anyone's put together the history of RE0's development, which was notoriously troubled. It was originally meant for the N64, got delayed several times, and eventually showed up on the GameCube as an afterthought following the "REmake" in 2001. Nobody really seemed to know what the hell they were doing with RE for at least the first decade.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wanderer posted:

I've been meaning to see if anyone's put together the history of RE0's development, which was notoriously troubled. It was originally meant for the N64, got delayed several times, and eventually showed up on the GameCube as an afterthought following the "REmake" in 2001. Nobody really seemed to know what the hell they were doing with RE for at least the first decade.
They talk a little bit about the N64 version in the Developer's Diary video if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reRhy1WnUpQ

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kind of surprised it turned out as well as it did, then. I wouldn't even actually call it the worst numbered Resident Evil game, just suffering from one or two really annoying flaws and kinda not worth playing if you have access to any of the others.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I would say it's better than RE3. Nemesis was my first RE game but I've grown very jaded about it over the years. I think Nemesis himself becomes more irritating than anything. The thing is, classic Resident Evil is like an adventure game and what you do in adventure games is wander and examine stuff. We got the whole cool set piece of destroyed Raccoon City to explore in our adventure game but this jackass won't let us. He even interrupts you trying to do puzzles.

That all being said, I like how things can be drastically different depending on your playthrough. I played RE3 a lot back in the day and got a variety of different events to trigger. RE0 is very...samey. That is its great flaw. It's another mansion, another lab, blah blah blah. I mean, I think it was a cool mansion and lab with great graphics and music but it's still just more of the same.

Although I think that sums up the problem of Classic RE in a nutshell. It really did need RE4 to give it a shot in the arm because they all just felt like slightly improved versions of the last game. People, me included, have grown nostalgic for Classic RE after so much time away but the reason RE4 was so welcomed back then is because of how revolutionary it was after so much of the same.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Doomykins posted:

Jill: "I hate every zombie I see, from T-Virus to Virus G! No, you'll never make a monster out of me!"

Giant Umbrella logos are stripped down to reveal Resident Evil 5 dummy corps, Jill inexplicably rips her RE3 top and skirt combo and a wig off to reveal RE5 bodysuit.

Jill: "Oh my God, I was wrong! Wesker's alive all along! Oh you've finally made a monster!"

Dancing chorus line of monsters, antagonists: "Yes we've finally made a monster!"

All: "You've finally made a monster out of meeeeee!"

Jill: "I love you, Chris Redfield!"

Thanks for this

But I would have went with "zombie" instead of "monster"

Well done

NikkolasKing posted:

I would say it's better than RE3. Nemesis was my first RE game but I've grown very jaded about it over the years. I think Nemesis himself becomes more irritating than anything. The thing is, classic Resident Evil is like an adventure game and what you do in adventure games is wander and examine stuff. We got the whole cool set piece of destroyed Raccoon City to explore in our adventure game but this jackass won't let us. He even interrupts you trying to do puzzles.

That all being said, I like how things can be drastically different depending on your playthrough. I played RE3 a lot back in the day and got a variety of different events to trigger. RE0 is very...samey. That is its great flaw. It's another mansion, another lab, blah blah blah. I mean, I think it was a cool mansion and lab with great graphics and music but it's still just more of the same.

Although I think that sums up the problem of Classic RE in a nutshell. It really did need RE4 to give it a shot in the arm because they all just felt like slightly improved versions of the last game. People, me included, have grown nostalgic for Classic RE after so much time away but the reason RE4 was so welcomed back then is because of how revolutionary it was after so much of the same.

Good post and I largely agree.

I just want RE1 redone with the over the shoulder camera.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 22, 2020

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
In the RE 1 remaster, on the easiest difficulty, how careful should I be about conserving ammo?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I wouldn't worry about conserving ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

I wouldn't worry about conserving ammo.

Although I would worry about expending too much of it...