Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

weast posted:

if i, for some reason, wanted to try using linux what distro should i bother with? it seems like ubuntu and all ubuntu derivatives are dogshit and that's usually what you see when you just search "what linux distro should i use"

I suggest OpenSUSE, personally. yast2 is an amazing tool, and they have nvidia drivers in the repos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
use kubuntu

ubuntu is good

nbsd will post a big post that you should ignore completely because it is irrelevant

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lysidas posted:

don't use kubuntu

ubuntu isn't good

nbsd will post a big post that you should ignore completely because it is irrelevant

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
fedora in the streets Centos in the sheets.

Cosa Nostra Aetate
Jan 1, 2019
You should use Gentoo, op. Its still around.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
oh yeah also gentoo, thats good too, i still use it on a machine or two, though its been a while since i used gentoo on a desktop

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
fedora w cinnamon or windows 10

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

weast posted:

if i, for some reason, wanted to try using linux what distro should i bother with? it seems like ubuntu and all ubuntu derivatives are dogshit and that's usually what you see when you just search "what linux distro should i use"

pop!_os is a great Ubuntu derivative for normal stuff. very pleasant for web browsing and games and vs codin’. do not believe the haters, OP. their hearts are full of hate.

fedora is the obvious pick for anything beside hardcore normal stuff. it’s my everyday dev distro.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

RFC2324 posted:

I suggest OpenSUSE, personally. yast2 is an amazing tool, and they have nvidia drivers in the repos

lol what’s its like posting from 2009

or are you euro

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol what’s its like posting from 2009

or are you euro

Is Europeans liking OpenSUSE a thing? I hadn't noticed before but that tracks with the European computer touchers I know

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Asleep Style posted:

Is Europeans liking OpenSUSE a thing? I hadn't noticed before but that tracks with the European computer touchers I know

SuSe is basically german redhat. same quality level, but the support community is mostly in german

or used to be, it rarely matters nowadays, and all the tooling in the SUSE ecosystem is pretty good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
which one is a hip hop operating system?

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

infernal machines posted:

which one is a hip hop operating system?

what you refer to as a hip hop operating system is actually a GNU/hip hop operating system

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I have used NixOS for a year and it is highly needs suiting. It is the only distribution that tries to radically improve package management and configuration, and that's pretty much the only differentiator between distributions (apart from what the installer looks like I guess).

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if you care about that then you must be installing or upgrading a package at any point other than building an image, so you’re already doomed to janitoring

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Asleep Style posted:

Germans, for the most part.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

any of the wsl2 packages should do just fine, you can get them from the microsoft app store or here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-manual

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

SuSe is basically german redhat. same quality level, but the support community is mostly in german

or used to be, it rarely matters nowadays, and all the tooling in the SUSE ecosystem is pretty good

Cool, good to know

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
try a BSD

they still use twm by default with X11

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://www-zdnet-com.cdn.ampprojec...rrupts-files%2F

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

headline: Windows 10 2004 glitch: Microsoft admits bug breaks Storage Spaces, corrupts files

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sir, this is the linux desktop thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a new bug murders your filesystem, may have been confused with rieserfs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

a new bug murders your filesystem, may have been confused with rieserfs murderfs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The fact that Hans Reiser is a callous murderer is not up for debate.

However, murderfs has been a very stable, safe, and usable filesystem for the time that I used it (what, early 200X or so?).

It does not have the chattr caveats that, say, btrfs has, or the copyright issues or SMR compatibility issues that (raid enabled) openzfs has.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

it was really funny when tech journalists tried to push endlessly that hans reiser wasn't actually a murderer or that it was actually debatable as if people had to care or actually cared at all and then he was and they shut up

but it got us that wikipedia edit and that was good so who's to say if that murder was good or bad?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Speaking of the murderer Hans Reiser, he had a parole hearing in March which was DENIED. Next hearing is in 2023.

EDIT: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

well, i hope he enjoys his stay, at least he didn't beta test his file system in the future

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
I’ve only seen suse in the wild once

I assume this is because I do not live or work in Yurop

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

https://www-zdnet-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/windows-10-2004-glitch-microsoft-admits-bug-breaks-storage-spaces-corrupts-files/?usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D&_js_v=0.1#aoh=15927036791963&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zdnet.com%2Farticle%2Fwindows-10-2004-glitch-microsoft-admits-bug-breaks-storage-spaces-corrupts-files%2F

now that's an url

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

google amp ladies and gentlemen

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I’ve only seen suse in the wild once

I assume this is because I do not live or work in Yurop

I use it on my workstations because its just different enough than everything else that I am unlikely to forget what system I am on.

No server I work on will know what the gently caress if I tell them to zypper up

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Lysidas posted:

oh yeah also gentoo, thats good too, i still use it on a machine or two, though its been a while since i used gentoo on a desktop

cursed post

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

weast posted:

ubuntu is real bad and you should stay the gently caress away from that poo poo. i don't have a lot of opinions about which distributions are good, but holy poo poo, ubuntu is fuckin bad.

if you want ubuntu but without the brain damage you could install debian i guess?

i guess it is time to quote my effort post from several years ago. every now and again i think about updating it except nothing ever changes, so it's still 100% relevant.

i think this is the longest we have ever gone in this thread without ubuntu coming up and this horrible quote having to be dredged out of the depths so thanks for that i guess

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
:jerkbag:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Microsoft is closing Mixer and selling it off to Facebook. They threw tens of millions of dollars at Ninja/Shroud and some other streamers less than a year ago. lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

someone in upper management needed "developed streaming platform with world class talent" on their resume and they got it so now its okay to shut it down

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

weast posted:

ubuntu lts is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

Microsoft is closing Mixer and selling it off to Facebook. They threw tens of millions of dollars at Ninja/Shroud and some other streamers less than a year ago. lol

many large companies flail around at the "oh we should try doing what Other Company is doing, maybe there's money in it" game and it rarely ends well

but it's always funnier with microsoft