Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have an i7-9700K and a 2070 Super and will still have it go all slideshow when something explodes. I would figure that’s early access jank more than anything else.

I feel like Early Access Unity Game could be a subgenre all its own WRT recognizable technical difficulties, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Some Unity games have this weird thing where they use 99% of my GPU. Apparently it's a bug with Unity, but those reports have been from 3 years ago so I dunno.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Baller Time posted:

Some Unity games have this weird thing where they use 99% of my GPU. Apparently it's a bug with Unity, but those reports have been from 3 years ago so I dunno.

Why is that weird? When frame rate is uncapped it's perfect that the GPU gets fully utilized. It means the game is GPU bound which is preferable to being CPU bound in most cases.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fargin Icehole posted:

Cool. Rogue Legacy was fantastic, and I'd like to see the improvement on the formula

lol make sure never to post this in the roguelike thread

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Rogue Legacy has weird jumping mechanics that never clicked with me and I bounced off of it hard. Something about it, can't quite put my finger on it. It wasn't like Dead Cells or Hollow Knight or any other recent(ish) sidescrolling platformers. It didn't feel fun to play.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

This will be interesting I think. Along with Issac, rogue legacy really ushered in the glut of indie roguelikes. At the time I liked it but in hindsight it was pretty poo poo so I'm curious if they are going to incorporate all the best practices that have been sussed out over the years

Yeah, Rogue Legacy really sucked so I'm interested to see how they've improved on it, especially if they expand on the legacy aspect

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Shipbreaker has been announced for PS4 and XBone, so I'm guessing it's got a lot of optimization coming in the future.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Catching up on Monster Factory; is WWE 2K20 just as abysmally bad as every other WWE?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's worse.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
it's transcendent

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Well, I'll stick to Griffin's heavenly creations then.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
yes it is probably best enjoyed secondhand

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Catching up on Monster Factory; is WWE 2K20 just as abysmally bad as every other WWE?

Bad enough that it got an annualised 'sports' franchise to skip a year, there is not WWE game this year.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

No Wave posted:

I still find this interview about Cellar Door's last game (Full Metal Furies) very interesting and think about it a bunch:

https://www.destructoid.com/why-is-rogue-legacy-s-follow-up-considered-a-pretty-massive-failure--487156.phtml

0 comments

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/TechlandGames/status/1275169717196554240

I'm so relieved that I can buy Dying Light 2 mostly guilt-free

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Titanfall 2 is very very good.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

in retrospect all those projects suddenly severing ties/distancing themselves from chris over the years make a whole loving load of sense

e: I wish he had been outed earlier

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thought I'd drop a review of the Swiftpoint Z mouse since its price seems to have dropped to $125 on Amazon. I've used one since the December sale and it's both the ugliest and most comfortable mouse I've used. The ugly flat left/right buttons are in reality very comfortable for your fingers to rest on with the wings on the sides for the thumb and ring finger also adding to the comfort. It feels good in my hand.

The extra buttons - there are a lot! - are very usable as they've been very thoughtfully placed. There are only two thumb buttons which I find easier to control than having 6 or more. The two extra buttons near the index finger are easy to reach. There are 3 extra buttons for each of the left/right mouse buttons, one halfway up the main button and then a combo button that you can pull as a trigger and also button press with your top finger joint.

It has other inputs I don't use so far: 4 of the buttons allow for deep click actions with a configurable force. There are also actions assignable to tilting the mouse. It can supposedly act as a full joystick.

Comfortable or not, there's no point in getting one unless you plan to program it for games which is where its real strength lies. Here's an example from this weekend where I set up a new config for the Witcher 3 (trying out the W3EE mod):

This leaves most buttons as they are but remaps the top thumb button, the 2 edge buttons by the left mouse button, and the 3 extra buttons on each mouse finger. Draw steel/silver sword goes onto the 2 edge buttons while the 5 Witcher signs (Aard, etc) are distributed across the extra finger buttons. I sometimes fumble-finger the number row so they're nice to have on the mouse.

The top thumb button shifts the entire mouse to a new profile as long as it is kept pressed:

Now the edge buttons enable/disable parts of Friendly HUD and the finger buttons are used for inventory, journal, map, meditation, etc. All are harder to reach keys on the right side of the keyboard. There's quite a bit you can do when programming it, including loops and key repeats.

This is still very expensive for a mouse at $125. That high price is partly from a bunch of features that people may never use - the deep click feels a bit difficult to control to me, likewise for the tilt feature, and there's an OLED screen on the side of it that's only useful for debugging deep clicks in my experience.

That said it's extremely comfortable to use and though it has a large number of buttons they're all thoughtfully placed. It offers a lot of programmability if you like that sort of thing, though the interface isn't the simplest. What would be great would be a slimmed down version that took away some of the extra features and dropped the price. In the meantime, this is still a very good, if expensive, gaming mouse.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 23, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Black Griffon posted:

Keep watching and you'll see not even their poor creations are safe. It was a terribly made game.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fargin Icehole posted:

Cool. Rogue Legacy was fantastic, and I'd like to see the improvement on the formula

I really enjoyed my time with Rogue Legacy and dare even say it was good then; however, big caveat is that I played it at launch and while it was not the first roguelite, but one of the ones that sort of started a metaprogression roguelite-type game writ-large in a more castlevania-esque type. It had some clunky movement/combat that wasn't good, merely serviceble, but most everything that's come after has vastly improved on both mechanics and controls. Games like UnderMine, Hades, Dead Cells, Synthetik, Immortal Redneck, etc, have vastly improved all-around on both a metaprogression and mechanical. I think people who tried RL well-after it's launch probably would have found it lackluster for that reason. I think RL2 could be really loving good and devs seem to be aware of where things could be a lot better.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 23, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Black Griffon posted:

Its real bad, but unfortunately its basically the only option now for online multiplayer since they shut down the servers for 2k19 (which was an alright game).

Veotax posted:

Bad enough that it got an annualised 'sports' franchise to skip a year, there is not WWE game this year.

Yeah, they're making an arcade-ish type wrestling game instead

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Keep watching and you'll see not even their poor creations are safe. It was a terribly made game.

Yeah, I finished the vids and transcendent really is the best word for it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

I still find this interview about Cellar Door's last game (Full Metal Furies) very interesting and think about it a bunch:

https://www.destructoid.com/why-is-rogue-legacy-s-follow-up-considered-a-pretty-massive-failure--487156.phtml

Yeah Gone Home->Tacoma is also a good case study if you're interested in how indie breakout success on a debut game sometimes doesn't always translate to success in the future

Orv
May 4, 2011
After years of tedious discussion on the topic we can finally put it all to bed.

https://twitter.com/kerebrin/status/1275165881937559558

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

curse my curse area

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, they're making an arcade-ish type wrestling game instead

Celebrated sim sports series WWE 2k

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

owl_pellet posted:

Celebrated sim sports series WWE 2k

In comparison to this, yeah it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTqED7mOzrU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

GeorgieMordor posted:

Is there something I can poke around with to try and fix it? Or is this a "just how it's going to be" thing with Steam?
You can try this, but I can't confirm if it works since the one time Steam decided to give me trouble (Ace Combat 7) I swapped controllers and it went away:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The joystick mouse emulation thing sounds like the Steam Controller Settings being the dumbest loving part of Steam again. Go to controller settings in the game properties and set it to forced off.

I don’t know why Steam likes to set that to on without telling people, since it’s basically only for the garbage steam controller that no one uses.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I'm trying Bannerlord, and the tutorial doesn't, like, tutorialize anything, really. Like it kind of shows you how hitting guys works, and sort of explains that shields can block, and tells you what button makes the commands for troops appear, but doesn't tell you how to make money, or how the food works, or how to use skill points. It feels like they're assuming that I have played a tremendous amount of the last game and simply forgot which button on the mouse made the sword go. Is there a youtube guy or something that does a decent beginner's guide?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

loving funco pop rear end poo poo from an rear end i hate it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

full metal furies was wayyy better than rogue legacy. it's fun, for starters, and it doesn't control like soup

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Karma Tornado posted:

I'm trying Bannerlord, and the tutorial doesn't, like, tutorialize anything, really. Like it kind of shows you how hitting guys works, and sort of explains that shields can block, and tells you what button makes the commands for troops appear, but doesn't tell you how to make money, or how the food works, or how to use skill points. It feels like they're assuming that I have played a tremendous amount of the last game and simply forgot which button on the mouse made the sword go. Is there a youtube guy or something that does a decent beginner's guide?

Make money by doing quests and attacking bandits. Buy a variety of foods for better morale and to level stewardship. Focus points increase the amount of XP you get for each thing when you do the thing that increases that, which you can mouse over to see. You can choose one perk out of the two choices whenever you hit the appropriate level in each skill.

None of these things except the money making were in the previous game. It's just poorly tutorialised. Relatively simple, but it throws all of that at you at once.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
God drat it, something updated and I had to restart my computer and I couldn't get steam to start up, so I installed a new copy on a different drive and I forgot how loving much the new UI sucks.

I gotta figure out how to open my modded steam on the other drive or maybe just fix it again so I can go back to the old UI.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

TMMadman posted:

God drat it, something updated and I had to restart my computer and I couldn't get steam to start up, so I installed a new copy on a different drive and I forgot how loving much the new UI sucks.

I gotta figure out how to open my modded steam on the other drive or maybe just fix it again so I can go back to the old UI.

I could have sworn I heard it doesn't work anymore. There's always small mode which is the same as it ever was...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

loving funco pop rear end poo poo from an rear end i hate it

NBA Jam made a billion dollars in quarters the idea can work when done right but this looks like it came from the same soulless factory farm that churns out all the same violently broken WWE games every year

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TOOT BOOT posted:

I could have sworn I heard it doesn't work anymore. There's always small mode which is the same as it ever was...

I was using it just fine somehow before I had to restart my computer. I switched it back to the old UI (I don't remember how though) like either the very day or a couple days after the new UI came out and I was able to get steam to start after a restarting the computer a bunch of times. I can't remember the last time I restarted my computer though, so maybe something is different now.

The loving UI change is so loving infuriating to me (and I guess a lot of people), but I had basically forgotten about it because I literally haven't used it since it was released.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

pentyne posted:

NBA Jam made a billion dollars in quarters the idea can work when done right but this looks like it came from the same soulless factory farm that churns out all the same violently broken WWE games every year

It could be the most genuinely entertaining game ever made, and I'd still want to bring those big head abominations to life just so I could kill them.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I got 600+ games, why do they think I need to see a loving icon for every single one of them. What the gently caress?

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
So is the plot in Ace Combat 7 comprehensible if you are going into it totally fresh?

From its name, I gather there are at least 6 games that have come before this one and I'm not sure if the plot in each game is self-contained or inter-linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

shoc77 posted:

So is the plot in Ace Combat 7 comprehensible if you are going into it totally fresh?

From its name, I gather there are at least 6 games that have come before this one and I'm not sure if the plot in each game is self-contained or inter-linked.

There's really just two AC Strangereal (that's the alternate world) games that are closely connected, and that's 5 and Zero (incidentally the best two games in the series imo). You can kinda just jump in and let yourself be embraced by the weirdness.