Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Helith posted:

I’ll set aside some time to update to 2004 this week then. The fact I’ve heard nothing about it means that there’s no major bugs associated with it.

There is at least one major bug that has been found with Storage Spaces, as Combat Pretzel posted earlier. The only mitigation seems to be to set your volumes using Parity Storage Spaces to read-only

Issue with some Parity Storage Spaces after updating to Windows 10, version 2004 and Windows Server, version 2004

EssOEss posted:

1 day after I install Windows version 2004, Microsoft publishes a notice that Storage Spaces is bugged now and RIP your data.

Only found 5 files filled with zeroes on my storage (how many partially zeroed, though?). If you use Storage Spaces, watch out!

The issue seems to be that writes made to parity spaces do not make it from cache to long term storage - only blocks full of zeroes.

Then there is the question if this is a rare bug. It's certainly a niche bug, it only affect those few users that have Parity Storage Spaces volumes. But based on the current reports of one person with Parity, EssOEss, that has also had lost data because of it, this sound like anything but a rare bug. If the bug applies to you, it will also affect you.

Which also sounds like a bug that would have been caught if Microsoft had bothered to test this scenario at all.

I guess this provides one data point on how long you need to wait after release before you dare to try it. For such a niche, but common bug it took MS three weeks to find out about it and release a notice. By this time if the bug would apply to larger amount of users, but hasn't been noticed yet, maybe it's rare enough that you wouldn't need to worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Oh yeah, I joke that the latest release of Windows 10 is still in beta testing, but seriously, don't install it until right around the time the next release comes out if you value stability and important things that involve "storage" that tend to get wiped out in Windows 10 upgrades.

Wait until they've worked out the issues before jumping on. Unless you're brave and/or the machine is just a gaming machine or something.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Has anyone on 2004 found that Windows thinks the desktop is an app in full screen mode and enables focus assist?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

101 posted:

Has anyone on 2004 found that Windows thinks the desktop is an app in full screen mode and enables focus assist?

This is the most windows 10 thing ever

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

c0burn posted:

This is the most windows 10 thing ever

That's exactly what I thought when I figured out what it was.

I keep coming back to PC, opening a window and getting the 'here's what you've missed' notification

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I start to butt into applications/games not running with that new segment heap allocator. That's gonna be a fun one, once Microsoft decides to switch over.

So far it's Google Earth and some of the SteamVR executables.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I start to butt into applications/games not running with that new segment heap allocator. That's gonna be a fun one, once Microsoft decides to switch over.

So far it's Google Earth and some of the SteamVR executables.
It's Microsoft so they'll probably switch to a blacklist or something if they have to. There's no way they'll break compatibility.

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

mystes posted:

It's Microsoft so they'll probably switch to a blacklist or something if they have to. There's no way they'll break compatibility.

Or they can do what they did with DEP: WhitelistAllowlist for Client and BlacklistDenylist for Server. Or leave to the developers to enable.

MikusR fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 21, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey sorry tbh I don't have the time to read the thread or I would, just have a quick question:

Is there any news on Windows finally adopting good 4K+ scaling? It's keeping me from moving to Windows as my main machine (right now my PC is gaming only) because MacOS is so insanely better at high resolutions. Surely Windows knows this... just wondering what news there's been on that front or promises for the future. Thanks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Taima posted:

Hey sorry tbh I don't have the time to read the thread or I would, just have a quick question:

Is there any news on Windows finally adopting good 4K+ scaling? It's keeping me from moving to Windows as my main machine (right now my PC is gaming only) because MacOS is so insanely better at high resolutions. Surely Windows knows this... just wondering what news there's been on that front or promises for the future. Thanks.

What's your reference point for "news"? Since windows 7?

Win10 has DPI scaling that looks good and works well on apps that use modern GUI libraries / handle their own GUI and are scaling-aware. It looks moderately crappy or very crappy on old apps. MacOS has an advantage there by just removing support for old apps.

AFAIK it still sucks if you have a laptop and want to have a dock-style setup, where plugging in the external monitor switches everything over to that and it has a different scaling setting.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I upgraded to 2004 last night (that sounds weird). Is there anything I need to do to change from WSL1 to WSL2, or does that happen automatically?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

hooah posted:

I upgraded to 2004 last night (that sounds weird). Is there anything I need to do to change from WSL1 to WSL2, or does that happen automatically?

yes

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This thread is nearing 5 years old, and the FAQ stuff in the OP is getting rather out of date. I'm not following things as closely now as I did then. Do anyone have suggestions for new topics to cover in the OP, and sections to take out? Or maybe want to start a fresh thread?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Fame Douglas posted:

Because feature updates are essentially full reinstalls of Windows, not just updates to some existing files. Windows cycles through the whole setup process.

Does that mean that it resets all your settings?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Brutakas posted:

No.

Reinstalling or upgrading Windows on top of an existing installation has always attempted to keep as many settings as possible. (Go search for videos of someone installing Windows 1.0 on DOS, and then upgrading one version at a time, all the way to Windows 7 or 10.)
Some of the early versions of Windows 10 did reset more things than they reasonably should, that's no longer the case.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

nielsm posted:

This thread is nearing 5 years old, and the FAQ stuff in the OP is getting rather out of date. I'm not following things as closely now as I did then. Do anyone have suggestions for new topics to cover in the OP, and sections to take out? Or maybe want to start a fresh thread?

ShutUp10 - Check everything. (or uncheck??? I dunno... Green good!)

Open-Shell - MS still can't offer/do better.

WizFile/Everything - Unless you like typing out literally everything like even the .exe part. ("notepad.exe")

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Brutakas posted:

No. Back in 2017 I had it reset a few system-level settings back to their defaults (auto-install apps for hardware, some "don't show me messages about X" type stuff). But that hasn't been an issue recently. And it has always left all user settings alone.

It does reset registry stuff that isn't tied to user-visible settings, but that's why it works as a quasi-reinstall. Also it cleans out all files from the Windows directory & subdirectories that it doesn't recognize. So don't manually put stuff in Windows. (I used to chuck some extra command line apps into Windows so they'd be in a PATH'd directory, now I have a C:\sbin.)

I think the best way to describe it is like an old over-the-top reinstall on 7 or earlier, but smart.

Im_Special posted:

ShutUp10 - Check everything. (or uncheck??? I dunno... Green good!)

Definitely not everything, SU10 has checkboxes to turn off windows updates. Anything with the green check is at least not harming safety though.

(Though there's also stuff with green checkmarks like disabling windows error reports, which is like... ok, if you value privacy a lot turn that on, but also don't expect problems to be fixed.)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Klyith posted:

What's your reference point for "news"? Since windows 7?

Win10 has DPI scaling that looks good and works well on apps that use modern GUI libraries / handle their own GUI and are scaling-aware. It looks moderately crappy or very crappy on old apps. MacOS has an advantage there by just removing support for old apps.

AFAIK it still sucks if you have a laptop and want to have a dock-style setup, where plugging in the external monitor switches everything over to that and it has a different scaling setting.

Yeah I guess it's ok for a lot of people, but I use a 5k2k ultrawide and lots of apps either look like poo poo or are insanely tiny. Thank you for the answer though.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress is "5k2k"? 5120x1080p? That doesn't make any sense. Is this one of the usual misapplications of 2k?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Fame Douglas posted:

What the gently caress is "5k2k"? 5120x1080p? That doesn't make any sense. Is this one of the usual misapplications of 2k?

5120x2160 surely?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Probably 5120x1440, 1440p is often falsely called "2k", even though the consumer equivalent of 2k is 1080p. (2k refers to the amount of pixels on the horizontal)

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 23, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

5k2k displays are 5120x2160.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That at least makes some amount of sense.

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

Taima posted:

and lots of apps either look like poo poo or are insanely tiny.

List the apps. They are probably really old.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

a few years ago i fixed some old finance app that didn't handle hidpi scaling properly on my boss' surface. i followed the steps in this post to create an app manifest and it worked perfectly

https://danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

but apparently there's a newer, better fix now (haven't tested this one because my boss got fired. owned)

https://danantonielli.com/app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix-2019/

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
If your app is insanely tiny on a high DPI screen, just go into the shortcut properties, compatibility tab, click "Change high DPI settings", check the "Override high DPI scaling behavior" checkbox, and set "Scaling performed by:" to "System".

It'll pixel-double the application in a way that's completely transparent to the application itself, so while it won't be high DPI, it'll at least be at a usable size and it won't look any worse than if you just had a non-high DPI screen; and it works for pretty much every application you might need it for.

You can also try "System (Enhanced)" which can make some applications look high DPI when they're actually not; but it might do weird things like cut off parts of text.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 23, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Anyone got a recommendation for a tool to extract a Windows 10 CD key? Just humor me on this, guys.

Never mind, powershell was able to retrieve it. Good god, Windows actually being useful on itself? 2020 really IS the end of the world.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 24, 2020

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Is stuff like ninite still necessary for windows now? I don't want to have to micro manage files and applications any more, I feel like I should just let the OS do its thing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Outpost22 posted:

Is stuff like ninite still necessary for windows now? I don't want to have to micro manage files and applications any more, I feel like I should just let the OS do its thing.

Yeah, well, there are other kludges like Chocolatey, but Microsoft has just come out with an early release of their own (stolen) package manager, which can't actually manage packages yet, so it's just a fancy way of downloading things. Sorry.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 24, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I still use patchmypc.exe to see if I have any 3rd party app updates.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Well are programs like Revo uninstaller, CC cleaner, malware bytes, etc even still necessary?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Installing CCleaner period is kind of sketch these days in my opinion but I'll just use a portable version if I need any of that stuff. On a machine in secure boot on a trusted platform getting security updates for everything I'd worry less about third party security software, on an older machine not getting that stuff I'd worry more, but i'm :tinfoil: about process level stuff in a greybeard way.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I went to install the 2004 update and now my PC won't boot into windows, let me rollback any upgrades, or do a system restore. I'm surprised it took me this long for a windows update to actually break something.

so, uh, can an install media be used to shuffle some files around in safe mode? I have a couple things I want to back up before i :pt:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Real Happy Camper posted:

I went to install the 2004 update and now my PC won't boot into windows, let me rollback any upgrades, or do a system restore. I'm surprised it took me this long for a windows update to actually break something.

so, uh, can an install media be used to shuffle some files around in safe mode? I have a couple things I want to back up before i :pt:

You can get a command prompt from the install USB options, so copying files that was is doable.

but if you have the option I think using a linux live stick is a lot easier if you're not great at oldschool command line

Also you can try an over the top reinstall of windows rather than clean format + install, which should leave all your files & settings alone.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I ended up using a linux live USB since moving a bunch of stuff in random folders via command line sucks rear end

sadly my install is so hosed up I can't even get the option to install and keep my files. This is basically the excuse I needed to do a purge of unwanted poo poo anyway.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

A Real Happy Camper posted:

I ended up using a linux live USB since moving a bunch of stuff in random folders via command line sucks rear end

sadly my install is so hosed up I can't even get the option to install and keep my files. This is basically the excuse I needed to do a purge of unwanted poo poo anyway.

I had the same thing. Went to install, ended up with a blank screen for 15 minutes, restart and it said it was working on it, then went into a boot loop. Couldn't even get it to boot from a USB, boot to Safe Mode, or get any of the recovery options to work.

I ended up disconnecting everything but my boot drive, 1 stick of memory, and I had to put in an old crappy vid card in the second PCI-E slot, once I hit that magical combination it booted. Got the memory back in, hard drives, and main vid card. Still having some small issues pop up (it froze the first time I tried to boot with a vid card in the main PCI-E slot). So far it seems to be stable, but I suspect it may have damaged my nvme, or at the least the file structure.

So yeah, I wouldn't touch this update at all if I were you.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I had something similar happen this Monday. My machine went into an update rollback loop. Couldn't boot to Windows, Couldn't system restore, couldn't do an in-place Windows reinstall.

Luckily, my documents were on D:\, and I'd switched from the increasingly nonfunctional Crashplan for Business to Backblaze, so I could extract my Appdata folder pretty much intact.

Wound up formatting C:\ and doing a full reinstall from the USB media I still had lying around from when Windows 10 was new.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Is there any info on whats causing this problem?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Statutory Ape posted:

Is there any info on whats causing this problem?

Microsoft's amateurish approach to software these days, combined with the slashing and burning of their real world testing :v:

vv I know, sorry; and for real, I'm interested too

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

HalloKitty posted:

Microsoft's amateurish approach to software these days, combined with the slashing and burning of their real world testing :v:

any info that isnt a meme sorry