Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

just a normal, responsible headline

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1274924191221940224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Deleted.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
What did it say?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh my christ.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

just embracing debate

it’s unfortunate because they managed to produce a sort of okay article recently: https://deadspin.com/dan-carcillo-s...impression=true

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I think that's just a very loose understanding of "inside job" because it's pretty obvious the noose came from someone employed by NASCAR right?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah the article makes it clear that, "inside job" is supposed to refer to someone employed by NASCAR (which is the actual meaning of inside job), not Wallace himself.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah the article makes it clear that, "inside job" is supposed to refer to someone employed by NASCAR (which is the actual meaning of inside job), not Wallace himself.

it’s just a poor choice of wording even if it’s technically correct because, going by twitter, a bunch of dipshits are taking “inside job” to mean “he or his team did it” because they keep responding with jussie smollett

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I thought the meaning of the headline was pretty obvious, given the Deadspin byline.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BWV posted:

I think that's just a very loose understanding of "inside job" because it's pretty obvious the noose came from someone employed by NASCAR right?

its the garage paddock so usually NASCAR officials or team members are allowed back there, but you also have track personnel (who may or may not be NASCAR) and safety personnel as well (security medical, etc)

its all monitored by cameras though

(Talledega is an ISC track and thus technically owned by NASCAR but NASCAR races on a lot of non-ISC owned tracks too)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The picture of someone supporting BLM under the headline "INSIDE JOB" definitely conjures up the idea this was a false flag or something. The article is clear it means within NASCAR and there isn't anything objecitonable in the article. Either the guy who made the caption didn't realize this or was trying to make some clickbait.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lockback posted:

The picture of someone supporting BLM under the headline "INSIDE JOB" definitely conjures up the idea this was a false flag or something. The article is clear it means within NASCAR and there isn't anything objecitonable in the article. Either the guy who made the caption didn't realize this or was trying to make some clickbait.

It doesn’t if you’re familiar with this iteration of Deadspin

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

if you're familiar with this iteration of deadspin it means you read it which I dont think anyone does

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

General Dog posted:

What do you mean by this? I don't really read them but the stuff posted here makes me think they are trying to ape the old deadspin poorly. The article about the UFC fighter with "Man beats man instead of woman" seems like it was trying to ridicule the fighter, not be some barstool esque apologizer.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

deadspin’s new brand (and old brand if you’re of a certain demographic) is performative wokeness and mock outrage

they can’t write very well but they do get real orneryish

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Declan MacManus posted:

deadspin’s new brand (and old brand if you’re of a certain demographic) is performative wokeness and mock outrage

Their new brand is also "bad, unclear writing" and "incorrect headlines"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FMguru posted:

Their new brand is also "bad, unclear writing" and "incorrect headlines"

I just went through some things on their site and it's getting somewhat better. Still pretty pedestrian though I didn't see any of the horrendous headlines like they had when they first relaunched. "Performative Wokeness and mock Outrage" is a really good descriptor though. Lacks a lot of the pithyness that old deadspin had.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

It's this. They've tried to copy the anger but can't replicate whatever hints of levity and ironic detachment that made the old version largely tolerable.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

"this isn't amateur hour," bill simmons said, "this is the fucken subway fresh take hotline"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I feel bad for never completing my Bill Simmons Choose Your Own Adventure from a few years ago

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

A revealing thread

https://twitter.com/dave_schilling/status/1275192754792853505?s=19

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

General Dog posted:

I feel bad for never completing my Bill Simmons Choose Your Own Adventure from a few years ago

Just take what you have already and add even blander choices than before

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

wrong thread

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seems like a bit of a nothing burger, but there is something a bit poetic about Simmons being in charge and getting publicly griped at the same way he did with his ESPN bosses for years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The loving nerve to pull the "this is a business, not open mic night" card to waive away not featuring black and brown voices on podcasts when you regularly give high profile guest slots or entire podcasts to your wife, children, father, and multiple college friends, the most interesting of whom's main draw is "sometimes eats more food than a normal person would." And when you gave the biggest producer role to your barstool reject/union busting SoundCloud rapper nephew

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 23, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I didn’t see that part in the Times article

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thank you MV for reminding me of the real person known as Bill Simmons’ union-busting SoundCloud rapper nephew.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

I didn’t see that part in the Times article

quote:

Mr. Simmons said by email that the company needed to spotlight its best podcasters. “It’s a business,” he said. “This isn’t Open Mic Night.” The spokesman said the company was creating new opportunities for young staffers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The thing I keep coming back to with Simmons is that he felt the need to crowbar his rear end into the Boomerang Rewatchables episode, and it's just "no Bill, your name really isn't Kareem Abdul Simmons(or whatever it was, I don't feel like digging out my copy of The Book or Basketball), we do not need your take on Black culture."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

lol

Leave it to the professionals like my good friends Jimmy the Hat and Dump-rear end

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

howe_sam posted:

The thing I keep coming back to with Simmons is that he felt the need to crowbar his rear end into the Boomerang Rewatchables episode, and it's just "no Bill, your name really isn't Kareem Abdul Simmons(or whatever it was, I don't feel like digging out my copy of The Book or Basketball), we do not need your take on Black culture."

It's also telling how on the rare occasion they do feature a black voice on a podcast it is always a bigger outside name rather than giving a shot to someone who actually works for them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

It's also telling how on the rare occasion they do feature a black voice on a podcast it is always a bigger outside name rather than giving a shot to someone who actually works for them.

They did have Justin Charity and Michah Peters do a Recappables run on Evangelion

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think it would be more fair to say Justin Charity and Micah Peters snuck into the studio and recorded four episodes about Eva tbh. Those Recapables episodes had a real "holy poo poo they let us do this?" vibe to them.

Now they recently launched that Higher Learning podcast, the new guy they brought in for Ringer FC, so they're getting better, but in general Simmons seems to like to find A Black voice for any given topic, and then surround that person with a bunch of dudes named Kevin. Plus, like Jemele Hill points out, the leadership at The Ringer is still lily white and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Not to downplay the diversity concerns, but does Jason Conception not count as a person of color? He certainly seems to be a valued personality for the site.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I would actually listen to a Ringer podcast if Bill was on the Evangelion episodes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Not to downplay the diversity concerns, but does Jason Conception not count as a person of color? He certainly seems to be a valued personality for the site.

Sure, he and Shea both do and they're great but they're basically the only minority voices who regularly feature on the high profile shows. Also the specific concern is a lack of black voices, which is pretty galling when you build so much of the website around a league that is 75% black

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

General Dog posted:

He absolutely counts, as does Shea. But there again, how many other Asians are on the staff? How many other Mexicans? How many are in positions of leadership in the company are there? Saying "well we've got one of everyone" is better than nothing, but you can't stop there.

e: Or what MourningView said.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The "open-mic" line is too funny. I can't think of a single person I associate more with just throwing anyone on a podcast. The guy practically invented "but first, here's my pal/cousin who happens to be an expert because he once lived somewhere. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1275242103673704451