Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GreenMetalSun posted:

There's a complicated list of 'rules' that make a female Disney character either 'A Disney Princess' or not.

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Disney_Princess

Tiana, Mulan, and Moana are, however, all part of the 'Official Princess Roster'. I assume Lilo is not because she's not royalty and lives on modern-day Earth. Vanellope is also not a Disney Princess, despite being an actual princess. Anna and Elsa are also not official Disney Princesses.

whoops my apologies, I didn't realize Moana was an official Princess. There's still a pretty big gap in merchandising between Ariel and Tiana for example though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah she's the daughter of the chief.

I wonder if any of the princesses could plausibly have had correspondence with each other, there had to have been overlap somewhere!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Arivia posted:

yeah but Anna still gets set up with the dumb reindeer herder or whatever

like it's not as prominent but it's still a Thing

I know way too much about this poo poo because my sister is big into Disney princess fandom and boy howdy is there a big gap in representation/popularity between the white Princesses and Tiana, and then Moana and Lilo don't even count
Yeah, it's all pretty depressing. I just think this particular person is really bad at verbalizing stuff and takes some p weird turns. Like, holy crap, himbos are child abuse is pretty out there.

Feels weird to scrape her social media for more weird takes tho.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, it's all pretty depressing. I just think this particular person is really bad at verbalizing stuff and takes some p weird turns. Like, holy crap, himbos are child abuse is pretty out there.

Feels weird to scrape her social media for more weird takes tho.

oh definitely. it's just like no, okay, sometimes these representation arguments are valid, even if they seem stupid at first glance. there's a reason we have whole academic fields about this poo poo.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
She's one of those assholes who insists that other people's kinks mean they're all secretly child molesters, that kind of toxic fandom purity poo poo is rampant on twitter these days.
The fact that she demands everyone respect her kinks at the same time makes the whole thing very amusing.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Why on earth aren't the Frozen gals considered Disney princesses? Or are they just so popular they don't get lumped in with the rest?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

artsy fartsy posted:

Why on earth aren't the Frozen gals considered Disney princesses? Or are they just so popular they don't get lumped in with the rest?

They don't have corresponding Disney Princes, basically. Elsa doesn't have a love interest at all, Anna's is just a commoner. But I guess that mold gets broken with Moana anyway so yeah maybe they're just too popular.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

artsy fartsy posted:

They are though? They were in that big Wreck it Ralph 2 scene which is official Disney.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

artsy fartsy posted:

Yeah, essentially the Frozen brand doesn’t need the Disney Princess brand to prop it up since it does so drat well by itself. Maybe if it ever dies down, but for now they probably see it as diluting the brand.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

seiferguy posted:

THE SAME loving JOKE OVER AND OVER.

I can't remember the woman's name but we know from real life examples that this doesn't happen because transphobes are loving clueless - the video where she interviewed people about how they would feel about women in men's bathrooms and vice versa, and trying to present the question 'should there be sanitary bins for tampons in a men's room' expecting people to respond as though that would be insane. Then one interviewee who was FTM said something like 'yeah that would really help with my periods' and walked away. Interviewer had no loving clue the person she was speaking to was trans, the cis person was literally the butt of the joke in this comic

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

TheMostFrench posted:

I can't remember the woman's name but we know from real life examples that this doesn't happen because transphobes are loving clueless - the video where she interviewed people about how they would feel about women in men's bathrooms and vice versa, and trying to present the question 'should there be sanitary bins for tampons in a men's room' expecting people to respond as though that would be insane. Then one interviewee who was FTM said something like 'yeah that would really help with my periods' and walked away. Interviewer had no loving clue the person she was speaking to was trans, the cis person was literally the butt of the joke in this comic

Kaitlyn "Pants Shitter" Bennett is the name you're after.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StillFullyTerrible posted:

She's one of those assholes who insists that other people's kinks mean they're all secretly child molesters, that kind of toxic fandom purity poo poo is rampant on twitter these days.
The fact that she demands everyone respect her kinks at the same time makes the whole thing very amusing.
if said "kinks" are shipping underage characters, She's Right. (granted idk much about fandom drama that just seems to be the main thing i see people get rightfully dragged for)

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

whoops my apologies, I didn't realize Moana was an official Princess. There's still a pretty big gap in merchandising between Ariel and Tiana for example though.

White people are gonna poo poo themselves over the new live-action Little Mermaid.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mermaids aren't white!

They're translucent, with a lure containing bioluminescent bacteria dangling from their foreheads

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GreenMetalSun posted:

There's a complicated list of 'rules' that make a female Disney character either 'A Disney Princess' or not.

They're just gatekeeping because they don't want to admit Princess Leia to the club.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If live-action Ariel was actually depicted as an anglerfish I would wait in line to see that movie.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arivia posted:

They don't have corresponding Disney Princes, basically. Elsa doesn't have a love interest at all, Anna's is just a commoner. But I guess that mold gets broken with Moana anyway so yeah maybe they're just too popular.

Merida is single too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GreenMetalSun posted:

White people are gonna poo poo themselves over the new live-action Little Mermaid.

True. Gonna be a lot of upset Karen tears over that.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Stuntman posted:

if said "kinks" are shipping underage characters, She's Right. (granted idk much about fandom drama that just seems to be the main thing i see people get rightfully dragged for)

Dude she literally said "liking himbos" made you a child molester, she's Not Right
that is the entire reason she is being made fun of

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Powered Descent posted:

They're just gatekeeping because they don't want to admit Princess Leia to the club.

also, all the spawns by the Alien queen

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RatHat posted:

Merida is single too.

And Pocahontas didn’t marry a prince either. And was the daughter of the chief.

Also, Mulan wasn’t a princess, just a soldier’s daughter.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

She's infantilizing grown adults who just happen to be kinda dumb and that's way more ableist than whatever she's claiming. Pretty sure most of those guys are perfectly capable of doing the simple task of "getting along with someone else" and don't need her protection from so-called predatory smart people.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

She's infantilizing grown adults who just happen to be kinda dumb and that's way more ableist than whatever she's claiming. Pretty sure most of those guys are perfectly capable of doing the simple task of "getting along with someone else" and don't need her protection from so-called predatory smart people.

A himbo is just a kind, buff dude who's also kinda dumb. Gladiolus from FFXV or Kazama Kiryu.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

that kind of toxic fandom purity poo poo is rampant on twitter these days.

It used to be mostly quarantined to Tumblr :negative:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Bobby Digital posted:

It used to be mostly quarantined to Tumblr :negative:

Welcome to the democratic party :smug:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Picnic Princess posted:

Right, like someone who hung around trying to trick the dumbest people they could find into a relationship would be a predator, but that's not really what himbo generally refers to, and it still wouldn't be child abuse. It's a baffling take, as is 'Kylo Ren is queer coded because he's femme'.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AlanDersh/status/1275236810210279424

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Wow, that poor kid.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/bocxtop/status/1275186005243334656

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Appropriate place to cut it off

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PetraCore posted:

Right, like someone who hung around trying to trick the dumbest people they could find into a relationship would be a predator, but that's not really what himbo generally refers to, and it still wouldn't be child abuse. It's a baffling take, as is 'Kylo Ren is queer coded because he's femme'.

He's not even "femme"! The only things she can come up with are "He's dramatic and emotional and his clothes aren't insanely masculine." That's a loving villain image dating back practically to the dawn of fiction. Depicting villains as more driven by their raw emotions like anger, fear, lust, jealousy, etc. (and in turn leading to their fatal flaws) is one of the most classic ways to write them. It's like she's consumed no media in her life except the most recent mass market releases.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Really, I'm stuck on 'Lilo is child-coded and should be in a sexual relationship with a man or else you're racist'. Lilo. The seven(?) year old. Moana is also not 'child-coded', she's sixteen. She is a child. Way worse than the bad himbo take, tbh.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1275248374422306816?s=19

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

goblin week posted:

This is incredibly depressing

upgrade them to battle princesses and have them all go to war. Japan would do that

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Brawnfire posted:

Appropriate place to cut it off
Since I was curious: being white since she fought hard for their rights

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

GreenMetalSun posted:

Really, I'm stuck on 'Lilo is child-coded and should be in a sexual relationship with a man or else you're racist'. Lilo. The seven(?) year old. Moana is also not 'child-coded', she's sixteen. She is a child. Way worse than the bad himbo take, tbh.

tbh the two of you seem like kindred spirits

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Most of the classic "villain" traits are in fact queer-coded because they were established back in the stupid ages, but that's a way more advanced conversation. We got the chess board out and she's playing whak a mole

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

tbh the two of you seem like kindred spirits

Naw. I'm a woman and I do a lot of gaming, which means creepy guys harass me and I run into Tabletop Creepy Steves. Sorry you got confused!

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

GreenMetalSun posted:

Naw. I'm a woman and I do a lot of gaming, which means creepy guys harass me and I run into Tabletop Creepy Steves. Sorry you got confused!

Same and same, don't try and pull rank on me. You literally claimed that you ban short characters from games because they're only played by pedophiles, and as a woman with dwarfism I'm gonna tell you straight up that's p much the same kind of poo poo she said about himbos, just less funny because it doesn't involve the term "himbo."

StillFullyTerrible has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Jun 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ladies, ladies. You can be a bad poster and a woman. It's true! Take SFT for example.