Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Cocaine Bear posted:

We talked about the below team briefly, but I don't expect you to go digging waaaaaaaay back like that (4 pages)

"He made 41 saves, fighting through a first-period groin injury that would sideline him for weeks afterward."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

eXXon posted:

I haven't been paying attention to hockey for obvious reasons but I started playing XCOM 2 and this auto-generated recruit spoke to me:

Besides the birthdate, everything checks out.

One of my play through's a few years back I was going to make a big list of NHL players. Never finished it, would've been fun to send players I disliked into super risky scenarios to watch them get destroyed.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You know the more logical progression is that he's going to play really well, catch the virus, sign a long-term expensive contract in the offseason, and then never be able to play at the same level again due to lung damage leaving the flyers on the hook for his $8 million cap hit.

gently caress lmao

also

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Just cancel the season for Christ's sake. I want hockey too but people shouldn't die for it

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1275133805880197120

lmao, I'm not sure the premier of Alberta knows where Edmonton actually is.
"Oh come on, a LAKE?! We have puddles, we have a river with E. coli..."

https://twitter.com/HunterAtHome/status/1275173733062152192

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's been 15 years since they brought in the shootout and I realized I can't remember a single noteworthy game that ended in a tie. Lots of wins and losses, but I can count on one hand the number of games I can even recall watching that finished as a draw. Man am I happy to never have to see them again.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Do we really talk about noteworthy regular season games?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You mean like the time the Leafs lost to their zamboni driver?

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Do we really talk about noteworthy regular season games?
There was that time when the Leafs were beaten by a Zamboni driver.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

grassy gnoll posted:

Or when the Leafs got absolutely trounced in Tavares's first game on the Island as a Leaf?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

eXXon posted:

Speaking of mascots and historic Philadelphia Flyers goaltenders, Ilya Bryzgalov turned 40 today

Only 7 more seasons on his buyout!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
We're not even halfway through Rick DiPietro's buyout.

It's also Bobby Bonilla day next week!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

ThinkTank posted:

It's been 15 years since they brought in the shootout and I realized I can't remember a single noteworthy game that ended in a tie. Lots of wins and losses, but I can count on one hand the number of games I can even recall watching that finished as a draw. Man am I happy to never have to see them again.

Ron Tugnutt making 70 saves is the first one that comes to mind.

I can think of lots of games that were pretty much even going into the shootout and I'd be fine with them ending in a tie. Could make overtime more exciting if they were trying harder to win instead of just trying not to lose.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Could make overtime more exciting if they were trying harder to win instead of just trying not to lose.

10 minutes of 3-on-3, if it ends in a tie both teams get 0 points

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Zodijackylite posted:

We're not even halfway through Rick DiPietro's buyout.

It's also Bobby Bonilla day next week!

If I have done the math correctly, we are still not even done DiPietro's original contract.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

If I have done the math correctly, we are still not even done DiPietro's original contract.

Yup it would've run through the end of next season. It wasn't even backdiving or anything, he was supposed to be paid $4.5M that year.

There are two full presidential terms to go on his buyout. He will be nearly 50 when it's done.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not if I can help it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Was Weber the last megalong contract?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Believe so. That offer sheet was just before the CBA changed and basically did away with them.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Yes I think so. Looks like it was July 24th, 2012, a few weeks after the Suter/Parise contracts. There weren't any super long contracts signed immediately after that (Looks like Hall signed for 7 years that August) and then the most-recent lockout happened and put in the term limits.

e:

tag yourself, I'm Christian Ehrhoff x 10 years

Thufir fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 23, 2020

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm Jonathan Quick of the ageless tweet:

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/218436839265148931

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Habs fans don't need to worry. The only team that rule was designed to punish in Vancouver has been slapped with the penalty. Every other player on backdiving deals will be allowed to spend the final years of their contract on LTIR.

E: is Nick Backstrom the only guy in league history who managed to play out the entirety of a 10+ year contract?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Yup it would've run through the end of next season. It wasn't even backdiving or anything, he was supposed to be paid $4.5M that year.

There are two full presidential terms to go on his buyout. He will be nearly 50 when it's done.

Wasn't DiPietro's contract the first of the mega-long deals? I am not sure people figured out how to circumvent the cap.

I don't even know the first one that started adding extra $1m years at the end.

ThinkTank posted:

Habs fans don't need to worry. The only team that rule was designed to punish in Vancouver has been slapped with the penalty. Every other player on backdiving deals will be allowed to spend the final years of their contract on LTIR.

E: is Nick Backstrom the only guy in league history who managed to play out the entirety of a 10+ year contract?

Ovechkin only has 1 year left on his 13-year deal.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

ThinkTank posted:

Why would we care? The recapture on the penalty impacts Nashville, not Montreal

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
https://twitter.com/pierrevlebrun/status/1275471405925257221?s=21

If they pick two western cities, how do they make sure that one team doesn’t have a home ice advantage? Unless the second city is LA, of course.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

stab posted:

Why would we care? The recapture on the penalty impacts Nashville, not Montreal

Ah, I thought Montreal got some benefit too. I know Nashville is in a worse position but the league's not actually going to slap them with $24m in cap penalties.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1275486242176720898

Don't want to go too wild

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Please for the love of god take Lindy Ruff.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1275479619580411905

If it weren't for the pandemic I would be very OK with this but plz Flyers could you not put a cancer patient at risk for this

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Ah, I thought Montreal got some benefit too. I know Nashville is in a worse position but the league's not actually going to slap them with $24m in cap penalties.

Montreal gets no penalties if he retires 2023 or later, and only minor ones before.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The MYSTERY of yet another failed retread

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The DiPietro contract was actually reasonable. It was the same amount every year until the end - 4.5M until 2020-21. That would have been his age 39 year, which is about when goalies slow down.

So the Islanders were trying to stabilize their goaltending for a decade+ with a practical contract for a fair amount. I can't really blame them for any of that.

DiPietro just poo poo the bed a few years later and that was it.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

That was actually 4 months ago today!

https://twitter.com/Canes/status/1275077043080687622

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Mr. Kite posted:

The DiPietro contract was actually reasonable. It was the same amount every year until the end - 4.5M until 2020-21. That would have been his age 39 year, which is about when goalies slow down.

So the Islanders were trying to stabilize their goaltending for a decade+ with a practical contract for a fair amount. I can't really blame them for any of that.

To clarify, that's 8 years after next year -- so 15 years in total of our goaltender being deader than yours.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Mr. Kite posted:

I thought for sure this was a Milbury contract.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

Goalies usually slow down between 30-35 depending on mileage

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ruff would be a disaster. Stevens I don't know enough about. Nasreddine is eh. Lavi or Gallant would rule

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

What the gently caress that feels like literally forever ago

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr. Kite posted:

The list of age 38 seasons for goalies does not really support this notion.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

Mr. Kite posted:

That one All Star skills competition really ruined his career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Please take Ruff