Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

use siemens nx instead

i can't teach a piece of software called "siemens" to college students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

there was no motion on the slide. that's literally it

maybe your stream glitched

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

cumworks xl

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Computer viking posted:

Office on ARM for macOS is apparently a thing, for whoever talked about that; they demoed it on the stream. Complete with Metal-powered explode-a-view of the layers in powerpoint.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

sure you can. as the saying goes "those who can't, teach"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

idgaf about the arm Mac, I'm just stoked that an incoming call is now just a little banner on iOS.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Ipad still doesn't have a calculator lol
lmao plz timb

finally my WordArt has never been so smooth!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rjmccall posted:

you will not be able to hackintosh the arm64 macos because the kernel is built to use pointer authentication and afaik there are still literally no other chips in production that provide those instructions

this should be easy to patch. replace the pointer auth calls with normal branch and link and nops as appropriate.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Computer viking posted:

One of the problems with porting your OS to ARM - or even just in porting your custom android ROM to another ARM phone - is that there is no standard ARM platform like the PC/BIOS or PC/UEFI platforms on the intel side. You just get a bag of chips wired together in whatever way saved .5 cents that week, and your build process needs custom hackery for every single platform just to get it to boot, nevermind abstracting it enough to get a "generic" kernel to run.

It also doesn't help that ARM doesn't make CPUs, they just license out the instruction set and perhaps some reference designs. There are optional extension to pick from from the source, and I half expect apple to also add some of their own - nevermind all their coprocessors.

I mean, everything is possible, but making macOS run on another ARM platform is going to be more like porting Cyanogen to a new phone than making a new windows laptop boot Linux - probably even worse.

The build process doesn’t need custom hackery to get your product going. Linux is Linux as soon as the boot loader and kernel are done booting.

Newer kernels and boot loaders with DTB board files are pretty straight forward to get working.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m genuinely surprised about the x86 translation. I was certain they were just going to cut off everything that doesn’t rebuild. also surprised about running iOS apps natively. I guess if they didn’t do it someone else would have hacked that ability and it would be an iOS app piracy bonanza.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ratbert90 posted:

The build process doesn’t need custom hackery to get your product going. Linux is Linux as soon as the boot loader and kernel are done booting.

Newer kernels and boot loaders with DTB board files are pretty straight forward to get working.

Apple chips are, uh, different, and they’re not going to give you the specs. there’s a reason there isn’t a real usable linux/android port to hacked iPhones.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the whole point of the hackintosh is to get newer and better hardware for less money than buying from apple. hackintoshing an arm system would probably cost more than the actual apple hardware and still perform worse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

I’m genuinely surprised about the x86 translation. I was certain they were just going to cut off everything that doesn’t rebuild. also surprised about running iOS apps natively. I guess if they didn’t do it someone else would have hacked that ability and it would be an iOS app piracy bonanza.

they're replacing osx with ios, of course they're gonna use ios apps.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i missed the first part of the platform state of the union but i was pretty pleased at the part i did catch about silicon. nice to see them specifically call-out docker support.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Shaggar posted:

they're replacing osx with ios, of course they're gonna use ios apps.

This is all you need to know about the new "macs"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The_Franz posted:

the whole point of the hackintosh is to get newer and better hardware for less money than buying from apple. hackintoshing an arm system would probably cost more than the actual apple hardware and still perform worse

it would cost an ARM and a leg!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Running iOS apps on MacOS is the only way the latter is going to have any games

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Running iOS apps on MacOS is the only way the latter is going to have any games

i'm legit curious as to who, in tyool 2020, buys a mac to play games. especially when 90% of the games they show off for their subscription arcade platform all look like the same clone of a unity tech demo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao the new macOS looks like poo poo. these titlebars in particular look like a terrible theme from wincustomize with the gamma slider hosed up. all the contrast is gone in favor of blinding white backgrounds and/or complete overuse of frosted glass. what the gently caress is going on over there?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The_Franz posted:

90% of the games they show off for their subscription arcade platform all look like the same clone of a unity tech demo

there's a very good reason for that...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bring back either platinum or og aqua with the pinstripes. tia

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Oh yeah I just realized this probably means we're stuck with iTunes on windows for the forseeable future, I was hoping they'd announce something on that front

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

MacOS 11 adds the bong back and the battery time remaining indicator back.
10/10 best release in 5 years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

bring back either platinum or og aqua with the pinstripes. tia

i vote aqua

get that real candy coloured poo poo in here

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

infernal machines posted:

i vote aqua

get that real candy coloured poo poo in here

og aqua on retina displays would be something else

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

this should be easy to patch. replace the pointer auth calls with normal branch and link and nops as appropriate.

yeah, if you can edit the code it’s real easy, i don’t know why i wasn’t thinking about that

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

carry on then posted:

lmao the new macOS looks like poo poo. these titlebars in particular look like a terrible theme from wincustomize with the gamma slider hosed up. all the contrast is gone in favor of blinding white backgrounds and/or complete overuse of frosted glass. what the gently caress is going on over there?

agreed op. it looks like a huge piece of poo poo

SRQ posted:

MacOS 11 adds the bong back and the battery time remaining indicator back.
10/10 best release in 5 years.

wait drat now it sounds Good

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The_Franz posted:

i'm legit curious as to who, in tyool 2020, buys a mac to play games. especially when 90% of the games they show off for their subscription arcade platform all look like the same clone of a unity tech demo

no one buys it for games but normal people play games on their computer often.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

graphic design is my passion

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I refuse to believe that battery meter is real

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jesus christ

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

very metro-modern ui, what with the text that just randomly overflows the window

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that looks like poo poo but the alternative is windows lol

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
the new MacBook Pro with 5600m or whatever is actually a very competent bideo James machine. But you’d be insane to fork out 700 usd extra or whatever for it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

the ios6 icons were perfectly dimensional. then they went flat, now they're introducing HORRIBLE drop shadows and bevels for a half assed not even close to ios6 dimensionality? what the hell is the design theory here?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

carry on then posted:

graphic design is my passion

ok. I knew the drop shadow on the icons was gonna bug me but what the actual gently caress.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I seriously don't understand this, it's like the ui and icon departments are totally separate and one is shouting MORE CONTRAST MORE SHADOWS and the other is shouting MORE BRIGHTNESS MORE FLAT

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Literally what, 14-15 years old at this point? It’s not even a comparison.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

carry on then posted:

lmao the new macOS looks like poo poo. ... what the gently caress is going on over there?

theyre getting ready to do some stupid poo poo in 12-24 months like make your macbook a touchscreen with no trackpad and just make it run ios, that's what.

every ui change theyve made on desktop is expressly intended to facilitate touch. the 'stretched out menus', the giant titlebars. the Photos clip where they zoom way in and way out on a library, a motion obviously intended to be controlled by a pinch zoom. strap in and get ready cause it's comin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

now you can be a computer toucher but literally