Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Samurai Jack's fifth season started as if the tone and stakes of the original series had deepened. Jack was old, Jack was miserable, Jack was hopeless but still out there trying. He crosses his line about killing decisively. He recovers a bit of himself and takes on what is essentially an apprentice. Then the show meanders a little bit--though I wouldn't say pointlessly--before returning to the same sort of tone it originally had. And then, at the conclusion, it swerves and decides to make an attempt at gravitas.

My issue with the fifth season is it couldn't maintain its tone and waffled between the "new" style we experienced at the start, and the classic "don't get too invested, this will be resolved weirdly" style. Jack finding a way to get back to the past to kill Aku would've been entirely in-keeping with the old show. But they put it in the middle of elaborating on all the friends he's made and all the alliances he's formed. Jack finding a sudden romance in the middle of a ridiculous fight would be fine in the old series, but it happens as a result of him having a grim moment where he embraces killing and does in all her sisters.

Unlike the old show, it wanted things to matter. But it didn't want them to matter too much. It's a rope to walk and I feel it stumbled a lot on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVruQNIh_j4

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ironslave posted:

Samurai Jack's fifth season started as if the tone and stakes of the original series had deepened. Jack was old, Jack was miserable, Jack was hopeless but still out there trying. He crosses his line about killing decisively. He recovers a bit of himself and takes on what is essentially an apprentice. Then the show meanders a little bit--though I wouldn't say pointlessly--before returning to the same sort of tone it originally had. And then, at the conclusion, it swerves and decides to make an attempt at gravitas.

My issue with the fifth season is it couldn't maintain its tone and waffled between the "new" style we experienced at the start, and the classic "don't get too invested, this will be resolved weirdly" style. Jack finding a way to get back to the past to kill Aku would've been entirely in-keeping with the old show. But they put it in the middle of elaborating on all the friends he's made and all the alliances he's formed. Jack finding a sudden romance in the middle of a ridiculous fight would be fine in the old series, but it happens as a result of him having a grim moment where he embraces killing and does in all her sisters.

Unlike the old show, it wanted things to matter. But it didn't want them to matter too much. It's a rope to walk and I feel it stumbled a lot on it.

The whole killing this just felt weird to me since he really didn't seem bothered by it at all in "The Princess and the Bounty Hunters" episode. It also changes aspects of when he saw people die for the first time(the episode where he remembers his home and flashes back seeing Lone Wolf and Cub).

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

forced het romances are the bane of media

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

paradoxGentleman posted:

forced het romances are the bane of media

I really feel like people don't even enjoy them anymore, they're just a thing because writers/execs assume they have to be.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I suddenly wonder why they are so common. Presumably, when writing about the interaction between a male and a female, one could just as easily write them as friends then as two idiots clumsily failing to express their feelings for one another until the final kiss at the end. So why is this latter option pretty much the only one you see? Is it a way for the writers to say "don't ya worry, folks, Our Hero is an honest-to-God hetero, just like the rest of us" ? Or is it because it's such a well-trod, well-worn trope that even a lazy writer can cobble it together?

I guess it's a bit of column A and a bit of column B...

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
It's because the resolution of loneliness is something people relate to, and the most frequent thing people associate with that is romantic love; you can make guesses as to why this is, either fantasy or the way people have shied away from general physical contact or the negativity associated with sincere displays of emotion. Them largely being heterosexual is a cultural issue.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I don’t disagree that it’s fine to explore Jack finally getting over his loneliness in the intimacy department after 50 years of seeing nothing but war and conflict without any end in sight. Sure, there’s the Scotsman, but he’s mostly just an occasional friend.

It’s just that making it a romantic intimacy felt incredibly shoehorned. Especially since they already had more or less all of the setup needed for him taking Ashi on as his student.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
In addition to the weird romance and ripping off the ending of TTGL, I think that having Jack actually get Back to the Past and annihilate the Scotsman and all the cool characters we got to know in Aku's Future was the wrong call.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Season 2 of Kipo was spoiled a little by having a picture of her transformed as the photo on netflix. Dammit!
I did enjoy it a lot but I also feel like it feels a bit rushed? I wish series were as long as they used to be.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

DoctorWhat posted:

In addition to the weird romance and ripping off the ending of TTGL, I think that having Jack actually get Back to the Past and annihilate the Scotsman and all the cool characters we got to know in Aku's Future was the wrong call.

Same. I was hoping for something like: he somehow gets back to the past, slays Aku back then, and then flings the sword through the portal to Ashi, who uses it to finish off Aku in her time, creating an alternate timeline in the process.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

He should've brought Scotsman and his family back to the past.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

He should've brought Scotsman and his family back to the past.

He tried that with Ashi and you saw how that ended. No amount of the Scotsman's swearing or insults would've saved him.

Would've ripped out my heart to hear the swears get softer and softer as he dissipated into nothingness.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The ending should've had a redo of the world tour, but of him telling stories about his adventure with an added stop in Scotland talking about the Scotsman and a crowd of kids with fake "gun" legs and kilts

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jack goes around the world to fight all the super ancient evils that he ran into in the future, like those creepy Egyptian monsters.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Taear posted:

Season 2 of Kipo was spoiled a little by having a picture of her transformed as the photo on netflix. Dammit!
I did enjoy it a lot but I also feel like it feels a bit rushed? I wish series were as long as they used to be.

Netflix does that all the time and it's extremely annoying. Just pick a thumbnail and stick with it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

JT Smiley posted:

Netflix does that all the time and it's extremely annoying. Just pick a thumbnail and stick with it.
It’d be nice if they didn’t immediately play trailers for what you hover over, too. I end up muting my sound system while I browse.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The best ones are when they try to deliberately mislead you; for me the thumbnail for Parks and Rec is Andy as Johnny Karate, surrounded by an army of his ninjas.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Has there been any news about Amphibia season 2? Last I heard it was forecast to be released some time in June, and I haven't seen any other sign of it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Funky Valentine posted:

Jack goes around the world to fight all the super ancient evils that he ran into in the future, like those creepy Egyptian monsters.

He explicitly can't do anything to them since they're effectively fueled by a full blown God. They were something even Aku couldn't do anything about(I seem to recall they actually tried to kill him as well before he fled the scene)and simply released them since Jack was close and he knew they operated on a kill on sight attitude.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SlothfulCobra posted:

Has there been any news about Amphibia season 2? Last I heard it was forecast to be released some time in June, and I haven't seen any other sign of it.

The showrunner teased something for tomorrow so we'll see.

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1275277195099860994

This coming after some news about season two was previously delayed like two weeks ago due to everything that's going on.

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1270856745561149440

Pakled fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 23, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That guy seems super hyped for the cancellation notice. Weird that Disney would delay that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You joke but that seems like the sort of move they'd pull...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

JazzFlight posted:

It’d be nice if they didn’t immediately play trailers for what you hover over, too. I end up muting my sound system while I browse.

I have an old app on an older smart TV and it doesn't do that.
It's the one plus to not updating.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

you can turn the the trailer autoplay off, but I forget exactly where the setting is.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Amphibia season 2 coming July 11, and season 3 has been ordered!

https://deadline.com/2020/06/disney..._medium=twitter

Also, it's being released on a weekly schedule this season instead of the binge format of last season.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 23, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Pakled posted:

Also, it's being released on a weekly schedule this season instead of the binge format of last season.

Ha, just came to post that. And good, it's nice to have something to look forward to every week.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope that the guest voice mentioned in that link actually went to the studio as themselves and recorded lines that way.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pakled posted:

Ooh! On my birthday too!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Episode titles for the first bit of Amphibia Season 2:

Also

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1275492483107975168

Pakled fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 23, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/samaracello/status/1274613237519208448

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

MorningMoon posted:

I don't wanna be "I never liked person who turned out to be bad. :smug: " about it, but... i will be. Dragon Prince from preproduction always rubbed me wrong with so many folks going "This is the secret sauce guy from ATLA! Him not being around is why Korra was bad and Dragon Prince will be so good!" it just felt like people were desperate to have the next ATLA and overhyped themselves. Then the first season came in and oof. Second one at least looked nicer but it just didn't grab me at all, and during this third season I only heard like three or four folks on twitter being excited.

rip that videogame that was so totally gonna happen

yeah, i was holding out against hope when i first heard the project was announced. then that hope plummeted massively when i saw the reveal trailer. still i gave it a chance, and unlike korra, i actually finished it, but it was a pretty big mess all around. i want to write some big effortpost on it one of these days but just hadn't had the time to focus all my thoughts and complaints.

i think TDP does a few things better than korra, like characters, but i think overall korra MAY be better from what i've seen of it. but a lot of this is due to the fact that TDP is very short, and the pacing most of the time felt very rushed (kinda of like korra s1).

JazzFlight posted:

oh god that's so loving ANNOYING. and it starts right away too! it's almost impossible to avoid.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hey folks! Me and some others are organizing a discord for animation fans away from SA, given the lowtax situation. Ask here or send me a PM if you want in.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

l'm down for it, hit me up.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
I’ll take it too if you can

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sure.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Count me in too

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Sure, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Count me in too, although I don't have PMs.