Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pull new wire through using the cut coax line. Tie & tape some pull cord to the coax and pull that through first, and then tie some network cable to the pull cord but don't cut the cord - hopefully that makes sense. The idea is to never have the join inside the wall except when you're pulling the first coax cable out, so if things go wrong you can pull the network cable back and try again, and you still have pull cord running the full route. I'm talking about that strong polyester stuff, not a ball of string, I'm not sure exactly what it's called in the US.

Edit: This https://www.discount-low-voltage.com/Tools-Testers/Wire-Fishing/GR-430-500

You'll need someone to push the wire at one end while you pull the slack out at the other, don't try and just drag it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I'm finally done with my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 - after a firmware odyssey that wasted a decent part of my life when i first had the thing and ran some updates, I had a stable router for a long time until recently. It needs a reset 2-3 times a day and i never touched the firmware. Having seen all of the complaints about netgear firmware in their forums (and having lived through it myself) I'm not sure that I ever want another one of their products.

I'm in a 20x30 house across three floors - plaster walls and thick brick exterior walls. I just want a solid signal and hardware that isn't constantly getting buggered - but I do want to keep my firmware up to date.
If I'm trying to choose between an Eero setup and Ubiquiti, is there anything to know? I may use my Pi automated home controlled for a pi-hole at some point, and i need to set up static IPs and port forwarding to make RDP work well across a number of computers. I've heard about people having issues with ubiquiti hardware updates, has anyone here had issues like that? And for my size of house is there any reason to go for non-mech and instead go for a ballsy standalone non-netgear router? the R7000 seems to cover the house well, when it isn't pooping itself...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Ubiquiti has announced the controller-less UDM variant (uxg pro) pricing. 499$ for the pleasure of not having the controller, protect or a integrated switch.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
.....Seems to me like Ubiquiti is letting their fanbase get to their head.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know why my Edgerouter outbound WAN block is not working? I have the static IP (that I want blocked from the Internet) in a firewall group and then have it set to drop all protocols with the source as that address group. It's one of two rules I have set in WAN_OUT, it's second but the other is an allow on a specific domain.

I fiddled around in Pi-Hole and realised my TP Link camera on static IP .59 has been phoning out to a couple of TP link addresses, pretty much constantly. I assume if I had successfully blocked it from going to the Internet from my Edgerouter then it wouldn't show up in Pi Hole, is that right?

I also can't see any firewall rule stats (for any rules) in the GUI, not sure if this is related?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Ubiquiti has announced the controller-less UDM variant (uxg pro) pricing. 499$ for the pleasure of not having the controller, protect or a integrated switch.

I'm beginning to regret my choice of UDM-Pro for my parents, not because of that release, but because throwing in entirely UniFi (as opposed to an ER-4 + CK) might have not been the best idea...

T-man posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

For anyone that wants a more SH/SC focused place to talk about this, there is a thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929022

Otherwise, request is for thread topics to generally continue as normal.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You and me both, Movax. The more I think about it, the more I regret the usg + switch + cloud key (I found someone to sell me a bundle of all the above plus what follows without gouging me and in stock) + an AP, when I could just do edgerouter + ap + cloud key and be done.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You and me both, Movax. The more I think about it, the more I regret the usg + switch + butt key (I found someone to sell me a bundle of all the above plus what follows without gouging me and in stock) + an AP, when I could just do edgerouter + ap + butt key and be done.

I haven't even set it up yet and the posts on the Ubiquiti sub-Reddit and this thread are like "Goddamn, how did they ever release this loving thing.".

I'm going to their place next week, I guess it isn't too late to just order a CKG2 + ER-4 and ship it to them, honestly. Just need to get a VPN endpoint setup while I'm there so I can get to that CK to manage their APs.

I mean, gently caress, even my CKG2 has stopped giving me device firmware updates. Unless it somehow is on a different cadence, loving thing is like 5 versions behind.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Cancelled the entire order, got the er-x-sfp, CKG2+, a nanoHD AP and 100 feet of cat 6 for cheaper than what I was paying before.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Have dumb thing I can't seem to figure out.

Periodically (at least every hour), all new TCP connections fail. UDP works fine. ICMP works fine. Most of it is attached through a Mikrotik Routerboard and a handful of Meraki switches. I have no idea where to begin debugging this, but I'm unable to plug directly into the handoff due to cable length. The Mikrotik also can ping stuff while it's "down", but it's "down" for every connected device including itself (it can't pull packages to update, for example, but can ping/traceroute from the router console).

traceroutes all work during this, and have no packet loss.

Also odd: ssh for example stays connected if it's already connected, typing `uptime` works and gets a response, but any large responses like `ls -la` in a large folder will send 5-6 lines and then the ssh session drops.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 27, 2020

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....Seems to me like Ubiquiti is letting their fanbase get to their head.

If you checked the reddit thread about it, people were really confused as to how it could seemingly cost more. There were a few folks that made the "b-b-b-but the R&D cost" and most people thought that to be a dumb argument because the R&D was paid for at the same time they made the DM/UDM and the price is just insane.

People are also scratching their heads at the U6MESH (To be announced wifi 6 device) that popped up on the FCC website. Supports up to 2.4GB/s with a gigabit port. It would have either been unrealistinc with a 10gbgabit ethernet port or they'd have to rejigger a lot of things with a 2.5/5 gigabit port. The interesting thing is that their SFP adapters unofficially support 1/2.5/5/10 as opposed to the advertised 1/10 gigabit, and I feel like it would honestly just be software for the most part to support at least a few ports at base-n speed.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 27, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

Have dumb thing I can't seem to figure out.

Periodically (at least every hour), all new TCP connections fail. UDP works fine. ICMP works fine. Most of it is attached through a Mikrotik Routerboard and a handful of Meraki switches. I have no idea where to begin debugging this, but I'm unable to plug directly into the handoff due to cable length. The Mikrotik also can ping stuff while it's "down", but it's "down" for every connected device including itself (it can't pull packages to update, for example, but can ping/traceroute from the router console).

traceroutes all work during this, and have no packet loss.

Also odd: ssh for example stays connected if it's already connected, typing `uptime` works and gets a response, but any large responses like `ls -la` in a large folder will send 5-6 lines and then the ssh session drops.

How does this resolve? If the Microtik cannot download a package to itself directly then I'm going to blame that. You should bring a laptop or something down to it so you can directly plug in and test. Something about its state table is being overwhelmed. (UDP and ICMP being stateless.) No firmware updates available? It might simply be failing - power brick, motherboard, flash memory, etc. Is it under warranty? Can you overnight a new one for testing? (This sounds like a corporate setup.)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, to be fair, Ubiquiti is in a fairly unique position right now and they can probably charge more than they should. That's capitalism.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 27, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Speaking of Ubiquiti...

https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/27/ubiquiti/

Here's an interesting article.. basically, Ubiquiti owes its existence to Apple.

It was started by an engineer working on Wi-Fi for Apple (most likely the Airport division..)

quote:

You might be interested to know that an ex-Apple employee went on to found a company that currently sells enterprise networking gear. Robert Pera, the founder of Ubiquiti Networks, worked for Apple in the early 2000s as a Wi-Fi engineer.

While he was at Apple, Robert tested Wi-Fi-based products to ensure they were within the with Federal Communications Commission standards for electromagnetic emissions.

Pera found out that that the power sources that Apple’s Wi-Fi devices used to send signals were below FCC limits.

Robert thought that boosting their power would increase their range to help reach areas that traditional ISPs didn’t cover.

His managers at Apple ignored the idea. He decided to build his own product.

After spending a few years working on it during nights and weekends, he set out on his own and formed Ubiquiti Networks.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

How does this resolve? If the Microtik cannot download a package to itself directly then I'm going to blame that. You should bring a laptop or something down to it so you can directly plug in and test. Something about its state table is being overwhelmed. (UDP and ICMP being stateless.) No firmware updates available? It might simply be failing - power brick, motherboard, flash memory, etc. Is it under warranty? Can you overnight a new one for testing? (This sounds like a corporate setup.)

After a few minutes things start working again. It lasts a random amount of time each time. The same thing happened to an EdgeRouter, with the same characteristics

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Biowarfare posted:

After a few minutes things start working again. It lasts a random amount of time each time. The same thing happened to an EdgeRouter, with the same characteristics

That sounds more like your modem than the router if it's happened to two routers. It could be bad noise on your lines. I know that I used to have almost yearly problems with comcast due to water getting into the taps on the poles and freezing and exposing them to the elements which would result in weird connection problems and signal loss in the spring. It almost always required a line technician to come out but you'd have to call a normal tech first who would then be able to contact a line tech. They seem to have improved things lately as I haven't had an issue in the last couple of years.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Any advice for troubleshooting an RT-AC66R router connected to a cable modem? I keep getting disconnects for a few minutes the past week, a few times a day. Today it complained the ISP DHCP wasn't working. I power cycle both devices but I don't know if that matters or not, it seems to resolve itself anyway. I don't see any obvious way to log events and determine which device is at fault.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Any advice for troubleshooting an RT-AC66R router connected to a cable modem? I keep getting disconnects for a few minutes the past week, a few times a day. Today it complained the ISP DHCP wasn't working. I power cycle both devices but I don't know if that matters or not, it seems to resolve itself anyway. I don't see any obvious way to log events and determine which device is at fault.

Is the firmware up-to-date?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

astral posted:

Is the firmware up-to-date?

Yes, I updated it yesterday.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yes, I updated it yesterday.

What's the cable modem model? Some let you access status/logging and can tell you if the issue is likely on your ISP's end.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Binary Badger posted:

Speaking of Ubiquiti...

https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/27/ubiquiti/

Here's an interesting article.. basically, Ubiquiti owes its existence to Apple.

It was started by an engineer working on Wi-Fi for Apple (most likely the Airport division..)

Google just suggested this article like right around the time you posted it and I hadn't even caught up on this thread yet! :tinfoil:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

astral posted:

What's the cable modem model? Some let you access status/logging and can tell you if the issue is likely on your ISP's end.

It's a Charter e31u2v1; I checked the manual but don't see anything about logs. I can say there's no visual indication on the modem that anything is amiss when I have issues.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 28, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's a Charter e31u2v1; I checked the manual but don't see anything about logs. I can say there's no visual indication on the modem that anything is amiss when I have issues.

The Ubee version (the u in that model) of that cable modem used to allow connections on https://192.168.100.1/ but that might only be when disconnected from the internet.

e: username admin, blank password

It's also possible they've since locked it down.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

astral posted:

The Ubee version (the u in that model) of that cable modem used to allow connections on https://192.168.100.1/ but that might only be when disconnected from the internet.

e: username admin, blank password

It's also possible they've since locked it down.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get in that way, stupid Charter. I guess I'll have to get into the habit of hustling to the modem room and connecting ethernet directly to the modem to try and catch it misbehaving.

Edit: Forgot to say, thank you for the suggestions.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 28, 2020

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I need some help and my googling was unsuccessful.

I am running OpenVPN on a Synology NAS. My router is an ER-X. How do I open the network up to the VPN server? What I did find was complicated - like different setting up routes and stuff or running openvpn on the er-x - but maybe I am missing the obvious. Do I just need to open a port on the ER-X and point to the NAS?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

RocketLunatic posted:

I need some help and my googling was unsuccessful.

I am running OpenVPN on a Synology NAS. My router is an ER-X. How do I open the network up to the VPN server? What I did find was complicated - like different setting up routes and stuff or running openvpn on the er-x - but maybe I am missing the obvious. Do I just need to open a port on the ER-X and point to the NAS?

Assuming you left the ports default, forward 443/TCP and 1194/UDP to the local IP of your NAS.

You’d do this in the ER-X in the firewall section.

E: that said, I would change the TCP port to something like 4443. It’s weird to forward 443 somewhere on your home network because your NAS or something else might respond on it for HTTPS.

E2: wring udp port

rufius fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 28, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

rufius posted:

Assuming you left the ports default, forward 443/TCP and 1149/UDP to the local IP of your NAS.

Might have typoed, 1194

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

Might have typoed, 1194

Oops ya. 1194.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Rexxed posted:

That sounds more like your modem than the router if it's happened to two routers. It could be bad noise on your lines. I know that I used to have almost yearly problems with comcast due to water getting into the taps on the poles and freezing and exposing them to the elements which would result in weird connection problems and signal loss in the spring. It almost always required a line technician to come out but you'd have to call a normal tech first who would then be able to contact a line tech. They seem to have improved things lately as I haven't had an issue in the last couple of years.

This is FTTH and I have a single ethernet handoff. I do not have an ONT or whatever.

Some days it doesn't happen at all, some days it happens hourly. I'm going to try to plug in a rpi on a battery bank for investigation to a port directly, but really hoping it's not their problem because there's basically zero tech visits due to covid.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 28, 2020

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I need to replace my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 which seems to be making GBS threads the bed after 5 years of service. It's starting to drop packets, freeze up, etc. I'm going to try a last minute Hail Mary with FreshTomato to see if that helps but...

I'm thinking about going the Ubiquiti route, one of the following:

1. USG + CKG2 (or a Pi) + Unifi Switch 60W + AP (probably FlexHD)
2. UDM
3. ER-4 (or ER-X) + Flex HD with an old server box to run the controller.

I'm leaning towards option 3 as USG is old and the UDM seems to have issues.

For what it's worth, my FIOS ONT is installed in the basement and I have a Cat6 line running from it to Router/AP which is on the main floor of the house, centralized location. It's not a big deal for me to run more Cat6 to/from the ONT to my current router location. Edit: I'd probably install the ER + Serverbox Controller in basement and use that current Cat6 run to the AP.

Suggestions?

JayKay fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 28, 2020

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I got this RJ45 crimper stripper combo tool from Monoprice, and despite having a place for stripping 8p cable, it always cuts one of my twisted pairs on my Cat6 cable.
Comparing it to other tools online, the tool I have the stripper portion is two razors that clamp down on the cable then you pull the jacket off. Other tools look like they have a rounded cutout for the cable and one razor and you spin the tool around the cable. Is that the kind of thing I'm looking for? I'm about to run out to Home Depot and pick something up, so I'm just curious what to look for in a jacket stripper so I don't end up with the same problem.

This is what I bought and maybe I should have just read the reviews because a bunch of them say the stripper is worthless
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7035

Edit: so I had a random bit of Cat5 cable laying around and this tool strips it very well. So clearly that extra bit of insulation in Cat6 means I’ll need another kind of jacket stripper

Baxate fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 28, 2020

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

rufius posted:

Assuming you left the ports default, forward 443/TCP and 1194/UDP to the local IP of your NAS.

E: that said, I would change the TCP port to something like 4443. It’s weird to forward 443 somewhere on your home network because your NAS or something else might respond on it for HTTPS.

E2: wring udp port

I hadn’t gotten that to work before but it was the UDP port I had neglected. I’m in. Thanks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Baxate posted:

I got this RJ45 crimper stripper combo tool from Monoprice, and despite having a place for stripping 8p cable, it always cuts one of my twisted pairs on my Cat6 cable.
Comparing it to other tools online, the tool I have the stripper portion is two razors that clamp down on the cable then you pull the jacket off. Other tools look like they have a rounded cutout for the cable and one razor and you spin the tool around the cable. Is that the kind of thing I'm looking for? I'm about to run out to Home Depot and pick something up, so I'm just curious what to look for in a jacket stripper so I don't end up with the same problem.

This is what I bought and maybe I should have just read the reviews because a bunch of them say the stripper is worthless
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7035

Edit: so I had a random bit of Cat5 cable laying around and this tool strips it very well. So clearly that extra bit of insulation in Cat6 means I’ll need another kind of jacket stripper

Just run a stanley knife around the cable and bend it until the jacket tears. If I was installing data cable all day I would buy the proper strip tools, but I maybe terminate four cables a year on average, so using a knife is fine.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Just run a stanley knife around the cable and bend it until the jacket tears. If I was installing data cable all day I would buy the proper strip tools, but I maybe terminate four cables a year on average, so using a knife is fine.

I’ll give that a shot, I got a spool of cable so it’s fine if I waste a little. I’ve just got a little project to run some cable from my router through my basement to my entertainment center. All told it’s probably about 8 cables with the network switch to hook up all my components. Beyond that I may never use these tools again.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Baxate posted:

I’ll give that a shot, I got a spool of cable so it’s fine if I waste a little. I’ve just got a little project to run some cable from my router through my basement to my entertainment center. All told it’s probably about 8 cables with the network switch to hook up all my components. Beyond that I may never use these tools again.

If I may make a suggestion, buy a workgroup switch for your entertainment center and just run 1 or 2 cables to that. Unless that's your plan already.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

JayKay posted:

I need to replace my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 which seems to be making GBS threads the bed after 5 years of service. It's starting to drop packets, freeze up, etc. I'm going to try a last minute Hail Mary with FreshTomato to see if that helps but...

I'm thinking about going the Ubiquiti route, one of the following:

1. USG + CKG2 (or a Pi) + Unifi Switch 60W + AP (probably FlexHD)
2. UDM
3. ER-4 (or ER-X) + Flex HD with an old server box to run the controller.

I'm leaning towards option 3 as USG is old and the UDM seems to have issues.

For what it's worth, my FIOS ONT is installed in the basement and I have a Cat6 line running from it to Router/AP which is on the main floor of the house, centralized location. It's not a big deal for me to run more Cat6 to/from the ONT to my current router location. Edit: I'd probably install the ER + Serverbox Controller in basement and use that current Cat6 run to the AP.

Suggestions?

As mentioned earlier in the thread re: "flaky hardware", try a new AC adapter for the router. That's a pretty common culprit for flaky hardware.

As to the new hardware question, I really like my ER-4 + ES-10XP + Netgear Orbi setup. If you've got ethernet backhaul, skip the Orbis and get Ubiquiti AC Lite's.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What kind of issues are there with the UDM?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

rufius posted:

As mentioned earlier in the thread re: "flaky hardware", try a new AC adapter for the router. That's a pretty common culprit for flaky hardware.

As to the new hardware question, I really like my ER-4 + ES-10XP + Netgear Orbi setup. If you've got ethernet backhaul, skip the Orbis and get Ubiquiti AC Lite's.

Interesting, I'll have to try that out. Edit: Ordred

For what it's worth, after flashing FreshTomato it seems to be significantly more stable.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm probably misinformed/reading old threads but I thought there were firmware issues.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

I just deployed a UDM-Pro and some nanoHD and flexHD, Flex Switxhes at my parents — pretty smooth. Also not a complicated setup (no VLANs yet), but I err conservative on my settings that a lot of folks may not like killing off the auto optimize features and things like that. No doubt though that people see problems, the amount of posts on it are insane, and I’m sure if my parents had more IoT poo poo and I did VLANs and other configs I would hit them

I still need to dig in and make sure I’m secure the cloud aspect of it as well — I have an ER-4 + UniFi at home, this is my first UniFi routing and switching experience.

The current issue I’m actually having is the devices at my parents’ place seem to be sticking to 2.4 and not always hopping to 5. As far as I know, this doesn’t happen at my place. BUT, my parents have Fire Sticks and popping open the WiFi Analyzer on my laptops, those loving things broadcast a 5GHz network on the same channel as the AP its connected too, allegedly for the remote. I’m wondering if it’s the reason the clients (almost all Apple devices) are deciding to go to 2.4.

Any ideas on that? Don’t really want to separate SSIDs or disable 2.4 on certain APs, and I’ve set band steering on the AP in question, but things are still getting stuck on 2.4.