Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

bio force ape posted:

Persona 2 EP best Persona cuz they were all over 20 and had jobs

there will never be another Persona 2 EP

Also, you could befriend demons by telling them about feminism. But I really like that they used regular building layouts for the first couple of dungeons, worked a lot better that the fantastical ones later in the game and the later personas randomly generated ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That... isn't what happens?

Once you tell her that Makoto joined she gets angry and demands you tell her the truth but clearly knows what is going on because she doesn't want to believe it.
It's cute you think she's worried about Makoto rather than what happens to her once it's discovered she's associated with one of the country's most wanted criminals.

quote:

More to the point, from Sae's perspective, she is hunting murderers. That does not excuse her behavior but she isn't doing this because she likes hurting people. She is doing it out of a combination of seeing it as the only way to prove herself + the fact that as of the time of the story basically all she knows is that somehow Wakaba's psience is likely connected to both the changes of hearts and the murders.

It is very much "Going too far in pursuit of a goal" but implying she enjoys it would require her to actually seem to enjoy it (or anything) which is not the character at all.
Whst makes you think she cares about stopping the Phantom Thieves in the name of justice? Her literal sin is Envy for gently caress's sake. She's a pissy fascist throwing a tantrum that Akechi and then the Phantom Thieves have the success and praise she desires for herself. That's why she doesn't react to Akechi going "hmm, you sure remind me of THE PHANTOM THIEVES right now" in the run-up to Okumura's Palace - because she doesn't care about whether the Phantom Thieves are good or evil, just that they're in her way.

She only showed up to the interrogation because it was her case and she wanted to be the one who Closed the Book and Stopped the Phantom Thieves. This is literally why the interrogation room bad end is a thing! Even after the Palace, at her core, Sae only gives a poo poo about her own gains and losses! Her face turn is completely a product of writer fiat!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
People are very mad about Sae Niijima in this thread.

Let's instead talk about how criminally wasted Haru's potential was. I think they gave her a couple more scenes in Royal but she's still very much 'just there' and every time she goes 'my father' I have to resist rolling my eyes a little.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gen. Ripper posted:

It's cute you think she's worried about Makoto rather than what happens to her once it's discovered she's associated with one of the country's most wanted criminals.

... yes? It is in fact very plain that is what shocked her.

Gen. Ripper posted:

Whst makes you think she cares about stopping the Phantom Thieves in the name of justice? Her literal sin is Envy for gently caress's sake. She's a pissy fascist throwing a tantrum that Akechi and then the Phantom Thieves have the success and praise she desires for herself. That's why she doesn't react to Akechi going "hmm, you sure remind me of THE PHANTOM THIEVES right now" in the run-up to Okumura's Palace - because she doesn't care about whether the Phantom Thieves are good or evil, just that they're in her way.

She only showed up to the interrogation because it was her case and she wanted to be the one who Closed the Book and Stopped the Phantom Thieves. This is literally why the interrogation room bad end is a thing! Even after the Palace, at her core, Sae only gives a poo poo about her own gains and losses! Her face turn is completely a product of writer fiat!

If that was the case then Sae would not have responded even remotely in the way she did. If all Sae cared about was winning then her responses would have been entirely different. Her stated goal in the bad ending is to try to avoid your party getting life imprisonment or the death penalty. Because, again, as it stands now your entire party is hosed. Joker has been captured and the identity of the rest of the Phantom Thieves is something aware to people besides her. She has no idea she is part of the long con until afterwards. The Bad Ending happens because if Joker gives in to save himself Sae doesn't take the actions necessary to complete the plan. She even expresses disappointment when you do, saying she thought Joker would have more backbone. It's Joker's willingness to stand up for his friends that eventually pushes her over because he tells her the entire truth but is unwilling to tell anyone but her.

Sae is a flawed character but "she is actually an evil fascist who just wants to be evil!!!" ignores literally her entire character arc, the actions she takes, and the genuinely lovely position she was put into especially since literally everyone around her was manipulating her for their own ends. Her boss, her co-workers, that weird detective kid, all of them. She was forced into that position after her father was murdered and she was obligated to take the first job she could to make sure she could provide for Makoto. She was bitter, angry and resentful. That is why she is Envy. Because she envies people who aren't stuck in the position she is.

She is a woman trapped in an incredibly lovely position in an unjust society and it is breaking her down daily. The only way for her to escape the rigged game is not to play... which is both the theme of her Shadow fight and the eventual ending of her arc.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Let's instead talk about how criminally wasted Haru's potential was. I think they gave her a couple more scenes in Royal but she's still very much 'just there' and every time she goes 'my father' I have to resist rolling my eyes a little.

I think Haru works a bit better with the Royal additions but she really suffers from coming to the party so late. She has some really fun or amusing scenes but is easily the one they could have cut the easiest without noticing much. Hell, Kasumi gets more focus and screentime than she does.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Haru deserved better. :(

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Morgana's worst crime was... well, it was actually his constant obsession over Ann.

But his second worst crime was taking up half of what should have been Haru's dungeon, especially the ending. Morgana is the one that gets what should have been Haru's final callout to her father before the boss battle and it is awful.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hot drat there are people in this thread who actually think Sae doesn’t care about her sister?

And people joke about Makoto being a beep bop robot :v:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

"I didn't mean that, it won't happen again", the war cry of abusers everywhere.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hot drat there are people in this thread who actually think Sae doesn’t care about her sister?

And people joke about Makoto being a beep bop robot :v:

There aren't people. There's 'person', and frankly I'm surprised we're giving them the time of day give how they blatantly ignore the entire text of the game to inject their own.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Cleretic posted:

There aren't people. There's 'person', and frankly I'm surprised we're giving them the time of day give how they blatantly ignore the entire text of the game to inject their own.

I don't care how many times the game uses Makoto as a mouthpiece to tell me how Sae is a pure innocent angel who only wants to house every homeless kitten and orphaned puppy in Japan if 90% of her actual screentime is spent veering between "self-righteous, condescending prick" and "remorseless psychopath".

Gen. Ripper fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 23, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

I think Haru works a bit better with the Royal additions but she really suffers from coming to the party so late. She has some really fun or amusing scenes but is easily the one they could have cut the easiest without noticing much. Hell, Kasumi gets more focus and screentime than she does.

Naoto was the last party member in P4 and they solved that issue by... basically making her so competent that half the team gets relegated to comedy fodder after that.

Honestly I think it's partly because Haru brings nothing new to the table. You already have Makoto and Futaba as the brains, Ryuji and Morgana as the plot drivers, and Ann and Yusuke as the more sympathetic points of reason. You could feed half of Haru's non-father/Okumura lines to Ann and I don't think anything really changes.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

projecthalaxy posted:

incorrect, yumi is good and cool and my pointy chinned theatre girlfriend. band girl is bad though

Wrong. Band girl suffers from relatable self-esteem and confidence issues. Drama is about daddy issues and well, drama.

Band Girl can also control the weather.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Drama also has a 'no, I don't want to date you' scene that makes you feel pretty bad.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Chie does not kick Yosuke in the balls, he bangs his groin into a desk corner trying to run away from her

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Forehead big

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Gen. Ripper posted:

I don't care how many times the game uses Makoto as a mouthpiece to tell me how Sae is a pure innocent angel who only wants to house every homeless kitten and orphaned puppy in Japan if 90% of her actual screentime is spent veering between "self-righteous, condescending prick" and "remorseless psychopath".

jesus christ dude

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Drama also has a 'no, I don't want to date you' scene that makes you feel pretty bad.
I literally just did that scene tonight. Unlike every other romantic link, instead of a forking dialogue option at 9, she drops the bomb right at the end of 10. So you don't even get to say anything to her later. She opens up to you about her feelings and you just ditch her, never to see her again after she quits the club (that you also never go to again).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That really is a frustrating part of P4. Sure you don't have to romance every girl like in P3 but every girl still apparently falls in love with you. It's just that now you have the option of rejecting them. That's so much better.

I loved Yukiko from the beginning but I ended up choosing Marie and I felt absolutely awful breaking Yukiko's heart. She doesn't handle it well....

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I complain about how easy it is to lock yourself out of Akihiko's romantic route, but I think the idea behind it is sound. Keep track to some degree of how you respond to their more overt advancements, and if you're clearly not interested romantically, then have the character come to the same conclusion.

Edit: It would also (hopefully) mean that Rise would stop flirting with you in runs where you're already dating someone else.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 23, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That definitely sounds like a better way of doing things. It's how it works in many WRPG's.

As for Rise and her advances, one reason I was so put off by Rise is because of how forceful she is. I can like a girl who knows what she wants but it felt more like the game itself was pushing me to be with her and I didn't appreciate that. Maybe that was all in my head but regardless, her constantly flirting with you in the story made it so I'd romance just about anyone before I romanced her.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Rise seems like the aggressive eyes-on-the-prize type that would prove her worth by presenting the corpses of the competition to her intended mate. She's written just a tad excessively.

5 maxed SLs, should be able to squeeze two more non-story before the fork in P4G's story and I'll have to wait for NG+. Skimming a guide I'm a little confused how people ever figure out the true endings in this series. It has been 4-5 years at least though, so maybe it's way more spelled out than I recall.

Also rejecting Yumi and Yukiko felt lovely. MC is a cold motherfucker.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I complain about how easy it is to lock yourself out of Akihiko's romantic route, but I think the idea behind it is sound. Keep track to some degree of how you respond to their more overt advancements, and if you're clearly not interested romantically, then have the character come to the same conclusion.
in golden the old woman by the river actually says literally this to you as a "reward" for solving a quest. she explains that getting romantic isn't just about saying I Love You at link level 8, you need to have played your cards right up until that point too or it won't happen. But it seems like everyone effortlessly falls for you anyway...? or is it just that the "correct" responses are the obviously good ones that also give you points so nobody would ever not pick them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not sure but it'd be kinda funny if you were a jerk to Rise for eight links and eventually she just falls for you anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

Rise seems like the aggressive eyes-on-the-prize type that would prove her worth by presenting the corpses of the competition to her intended mate. She's written just a tad excessively.

5 maxed SLs, should be able to squeeze two more non-story before the fork in P4G's story and I'll have to wait for NG+. Skimming a guide I'm a little confused how people ever figure out the true endings in this series. It has been 4-5 years at least though, so maybe it's way more spelled out than I recall.

Also rejecting Yumi and Yukiko felt lovely. MC is a cold motherfucker.

Are you already romancing somebody else or did you just not feel anything special for Yumi and Yukiko?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I know you probably wanted to be faithful, but Marie is a weird case in that there is absolutely no downside to dating both her and one other girl. Probably because of her whole... Thing.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I actually just forgot you could go beyond platonic friends like in P3. Well... in P3 it don't remember it going farther than hanging out in their dorm room fully clothed and a few feet apart. So being an indecisive person I wasted too much time and, yea, opted to just see why everyone hated Marie so much. Might have time left for Rise or Chie, but I'm not sure.

The SLink wiki I've been using to expedite the ranks shows that each girl has one question where you fork to lover's route or put your palm up and firmly tell them to take a cold shower. The flowchart is less complex than I expected.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I know you probably wanted to be faithful, but Marie is a weird case in that there is absolutely no downside to dating both her and one other girl. Probably because of her whole... Thing.

Really? I had no idea. I've never seen it but I've been told the cheating catches up to you on Valentine's Day if you are with more than one girl.

This is an interesting revelation, thanks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Marie's Valentine's event is separate from the others (and actually mandatory).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arist posted:

Marie's Valentine's event is separate from the others (and actually mandatory).
Anyone who's wondering why everyone hates Marie so much, this is really the core of it: If you want to see the new stuff, you have to max rank her, and there's other events she shows up in besides. That, plus the hardcore tsundere archetype is much more popular in Japan than the West.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Amppelix posted:

in golden the old woman by the river actually says literally this to you as a "reward" for solving a quest. she explains that getting romantic isn't just about saying I Love You at link level 8, you need to have played your cards right up until that point too or it won't happen. But it seems like everyone effortlessly falls for you anyway...? or is it just that the "correct" responses are the obviously good ones that also give you points so nobody would ever not pick them.

I know immediately off the top of my head there are two social links in P4 where things aren't so simple.

-Ai tries to start a relationship with you at like, rank 3, but if you say yes to that, she breaks it off and you remain friends after a few ranks. You can only end the link romantically if you turn her down that first time. However, it's generally agreed the early relationship is the better story.

-Naoto by default won't get romantic, you have to pick three specific responses across three different social link scenes to get her to suggest the possibility. They're relatively obvious responses for that, but they're also even more obviously just awful, lovely things to say and they are, in terms of pure 'relationship points up' counting, actually the worst possible options because they give you no points.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
P5R Update: I had forgotten how many days the game takes from you leading up to madarame's palace. You go through exams right into multiple days of set up. At least in Royal I can go downstairs and do something instead of just moving 3 steps to go to bed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's not nearly as bad as the leadup to Okumura's palace. I think that's like about two weeks of pure plot and that's one of the segments where they kept the 'go straight to bed' nights.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
the runup to okumura is the worst, summer vacation and morgana acting like a stupid rear end in a top hat and all the straight to bed poo poo

all that for loving okumura's palace to boot

at least sweatshop is a jam

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Speaking of Marie up thread, her content doesn't have anything to do with the true end stuff right? Can you still do it if you turn her down, or do you only get to rank 10 by romancing her?

Is it like a Royal situation where if I max her I get extra time and events? If so I guess I'd better jump on that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Speaking of Marie up thread, her content doesn't have anything to do with the true end stuff right? Can you still do it if you turn her down, or do you only get to rank 10 by romancing her?

Is it like a Royal situation where if I max her I get extra time and events? If so I guess I'd better jump on that.

It does and it doesn't? The original true end is still gettable, but her extra content contextualizes it a bit and there's an entirely new epilogue that I really enjoyed that is conditional on doing her Social Link. Honestly, it's worth doing even if you don't like her.

e: Also, you can avoid romancing her, the problem is that her Valentine's scene will happen anyway.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

You don't have to romance anyone to hit rank 10 with anyone. But yes maxing Marie will give you more gameplay.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As terribly shoehorned as Marie is, you can still completely ignore her if you don't want to and/or don't like her.

Maruki and Kasumi are very obviously plugged into P5R in fixed events.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, but I find those characters way more interesting even if I no longer dislike Marie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah those two are fine personally, but I can imagine that if you don't like Kasumi, the culture festival might make for some eyerolling.