Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

Did you write their Wikipedia entry, by any chance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanie_and_Martina_Grant

No I just had the 1 yen + shipping the album was going for on Amazon and enough idle curiosity to push the button. I suspect that if there was a sexy 90s celebrity I was going to perv over in my middle age it'd be Jet from Gladiators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

If you could get a vicar to bless a thing of gravy you could christen t'babby in a font of gravy too, maybe
ah, the ol' yorkshire cobbaptism

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Need to be out of my flat between 12 and 1 today so I have to find another TV to watch Boris tell me to what extent the pub can open.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I wanted to go on Funhouse and Knightmare and that but looking at clips from those kinds of shows as an adult the kids were so middle class :laugh:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

crispix posted:

I wanted to go on Funhouse and Knightmare and that but looking at clips from those kinds of shows as an adult the kids were so middle class :laugh:

They were like a gateway before you could get a bit older and be a marketing manager from the home counties making a fool of yourself on the Krypton Factor or Crystal Maze

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I remember as a kid wanting to apply to be on some CBBC show where you go to borneo, but we couldn't afford a printer lol

I did eventually live there for 3 months tho so...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

One of my school friends got on Finders Keepers. He was loving poo poo and brought shame on us all.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

crispix posted:

If you could get a vicar to bless a thing of gravy you could christen t'babby in a font of gravy too, maybe

gravy is inherently blessed imo

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

gravy is inherently blessed imo

My family had to host a Peruvian English teacher when I was a teenager when she came over with a group for a cultural exchange/further teacher training and as part of their stay they had to make poster presentations of some element of British culture that they'd learned about in the 4 months or so they were staying here. Then at the end of their stay we had to go to the language school and look at the posters and listen to the teachers talk through them.

One of the posters was about British cuisine and was mostly reviews of restaurants they'd been to and takeout menus they'd picked up but right in the middle was a large collage of a man with a suitcase and a plane ticket back to Peru but he had a thought bubble with a picture of a gravy boat. This symbolised the difficult decision the teachers had to make because if they went back to Peru they were leaving a land of delicious and plentiful gravy, available with any meal. There was also a gravy boat in the suitcase and another one on his shirt.

I mumbled "wow this guy really loves gravy, huh?" and one of the teachers grabbed my arm and forcefully jerked me away from the poster to whisper in my ear "he had gravy in his pockets".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pocket Gravy. What a lad.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

I remember as a kid wanting to apply to be on some CBBC show where you go to borneo, but we couldn't afford a printer lol

I did eventually live there for 3 months tho so...

temp job as an orangutan

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm regretting being awake.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
People who are working from home: how much 'work' are you actually doing?

I'm still just about managing the 9 to 5 thing but my lunch breaks have gradually expanded to a comfortable 2 hrs.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a lot more but accomplishing the same

management overhead for actually delivering stuff and fixing stuff is significant when everyone's seperated, so we're having to fit more work into a smaller timeframe, and for some reason all the senior managers whose job involves holding meetings and setting direction don't seem to realise there's problems because their jobs have stayed identical

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

crispix posted:

I know of a member on here who was on Knightmare. Sadly the clip is lost on a VHS somewhere at his parent’s house.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm still just about managing the 9 to 5 thing but my lunch breaks have gradually expanded to a comfortable 2 hrs.

My job hasn't had anything for me to do for like the last 6 months anyway, now all of a sudden they do so I've gone from just about keeping my laptop awake to actually doing something.

And I don't like it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Neurophonic posted:

I know of a member on here who was on Knightmare. Sadly the clip is lost on a VHS somewhere at his parent’s house.

Please tell me it was one of the kids who died/got their adventurer killed by not knowing left from right.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Neurophonic posted:

Most of Knightmare's on youtube now, if you search for it. Plus you get to revisit the awful 1980s racism about the Chinese!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

For the last few weeks, a whole lot of gently caress all. But that's mainly due to there not being the work to go around (I work in accounts related to hospitality).

Now things are starting to ramp up a bit and I'm feeling aggrieved that I can't fit in a couple of Escape from Tarkov raids in between each email.

Also, Knightmare was by far my favourite TV show when I was a kid. I had a re-watch on YouTube a little while ago and after about 5 minutes decided some things are better left in the past.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 23, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Work forgot to pay our courier's invoices during furlough so our service got stopped, and for some reason they are now taking forever to get them paid despite the payments presumably being a few quid, given that we didn't actually deliver anything from March onward.

And since I have now run out of laptops to repair and can't get any back, I basically answer five emails a day from home going "sorry, we can't do anything yet, ask again next week" then play videogames.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My job is very hands on, if I'm not at work there's only emails to answer and the odd conference call to set up. Those have been dwindling in number since we left as I imagine people have actually realised they can do a fair bit of that themselves

Pre-covid we were getting about 200 jobs a week between 9 of us. We're amazed if we get 10 these days.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
In the early days of WFH I didn't have much to do and treated it more like I was on call. Would do whatever was needed of me or respond to emails but otherwise I'd chill.

Been a bit busier recently as they've started to resume some of the regular "business as usual" stuff

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

going to teh pub for a pint and some rona

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Alcohol kills germs, so I guess pubs are some of the safest places you can be in, so long as you drink heavily the entire time you're there.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
I dont like that the pub is getting opened on a Saturday. Why not like a Tuesday or something? I know we're going to be immediately mobbed whatever happens but jeez.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

we've ditched 2m, lads

its 1m-plus now. Stay alert!!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I work on "daily rate" and it's based on output so I can't clock in and sit around, I need to show some input to the clients. I have "I'll commit X to Y days a month to your company" contract and "honor system" which I don't charge them for non-output days (like, I connect to VPN and check the e-mail, write some replies and log-off) and they simply sign anything I do include extras such as extended phone calls, IT problems. There is enough stuff I can work on so if I want to put :effort: there is no shortage on stuff to do. Remote working sucks rear end because my job is hands-on and gets really confusing when trying to figure out things remotely.

Other jobs are project-based or recurring (like, attend to an audit once a month, update the quality plans etc.) and that what I can do remotely. Let's say, I get a contract for 10 days of work for updating a QMS and got paid a bulk sum, I can power through in 4-5 days and just iron out details and do editing according to the client feedback. I love those jobs and they both pay better and gives me flexibility.

April was quite slow with all my clients going into hibernation and things picked up around early May and now I started doing on-site work as the clients open up (they were all essential businesses anyway).

I use the free time to work on getting new professional charters, online certification, and doing some business admin when I'm not doing my visa stuff.

Some days I just can't find the energy/motivation to do anything at all which always feels bad later on but, oh well, if you need a 4-hour depression sleep, you need a 4 hour depression sleep.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there's a horse outside

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

Found a picture of the gravy man.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

there's a horse outside

what does it want?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

goldenninjawarrior posted:

Found a picture of the gravy man.

Legend.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lemon posted:

what does it want?

it's delivering a corpse. there's a funeral on

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

social distancing is finally over. we've beaten covid-19 everyone!! go out and hug the next person you see and kiss them on the mouth

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

social distancing is finally over. we've beaten covid-19 everyone!! go out and hug the next person you see and kiss them on the mouth

:heysexy:

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
As if I have to go back to work at the pub and I can't even go bowling by myself after work.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

My work output is quantified, and they've not changed their targets. I'm probably doing more actual hours than normal due to fewer breaks in the day to chat, but about the same work due to not having people around to ask for sanity checks on my decisions/interpretations. The job can be and is done from home by a lot of people, so the necessary stuff was mostly in place.

I think the admin/policy/legal/IT side of things at our place have had a much tougher time of it, and their management probably will continue to because they were always telling their staff it was impossible to do their jobs from home and it turns out it ain't.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

covid severity level has been downgraded to level 3, or "medium nandos sauce"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But how cheeky is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Medium Nandos is technically non-spicy food for me so I guess it's time to go out.