Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BWV posted:

The "open-mic" line is too funny. I can't think of a single person I associate more with just throwing anyone on a podcast. The guy practically invented "but first, here's my pal/cousin who happens to be an expert because he once lived somewhere. "

https://twitter.com/tcraggs22/status/1275173357239975936

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The open mic quote is galling considering how Simmons got his ESPN job (blogging)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The open mic quote is galling considering how Simmons got his ESPN job (blogging)

This makes his constant whining about blogs, which he's been doing since like his first year at ESPN, really funny.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Now they recently launched that Higher Learning podcast, the new guy they brought in for Ringer FC, so they're getting better, but in general Simmons seems to like to find A Black voice for any given topic, and then surround that person with a bunch of dudes named Kevin. Plus, like Jemele Hill points out, the leadership at The Ringer is still lily white and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I’m actually mad about the Ringer FC stuff because it means Stadio will (eventually) be moves onto Spotify and off of normal podcast feeds. Stadio is Real Good, Musa is a great voice and I can’t hate them for taking the bag, but ugh.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

This makes his constant whining about blogs, which he's been doing since like his first year at ESPN, really funny.

ONLY I MAY ENTER THROUGH THE SIDE DOOR

NOW LET ME QUOTE BEVERLY HILLS 90210 10 TIMES TO ILLUSTRATE THIS

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
Has anyone done a which ringer employee is this character from the wire article but it only uses the white characters from the show joke yet?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Y'all fixin to tell me that a guy from South Boston is having issues letting non-white people do work for him?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It’s also clear there is a cohort from Grantland that has animosity to this day towards how that ended and how some in management hosed over people. There’s this weird defense of Simmons (on twitter not here) that’s just like “well he’s giving them a voice!” And it’s true but it doesn’t excuse other short comings.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah, isn't the general thinking -- especially among the crowd that went with Mark Lisanti to MTV News -- that Fennessey stabbed them in the back when he refused to take over Grantland after Simmons was fired? Now I do think they're being a little bit delusional if they think Sean Fennessey was going to be able to keep Grantland a going concern for any real length of time, but he, Rubin and Ryan bailing for The Ringer was definitely Grantland's death knell.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, isn't the general thinking -- especially among the crowd that went with Mark Lisanti to MTV News -- that Fennessey stabbed them in the back when he refused to take over Grantland after Simmons was fired? Now I do think they're being a little bit delusional if they think Sean Fennessey was going to be able to keep Grantland a going concern for any real length of time, but he, Rubin and Ryan bailing for The Ringer was definitely Grantland's death knell.

I don’t know what the office politics were like then or now, but blaming those three just for taking the life preserver when it was offered to them seems like sour grapes.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I can’t blame them for taking the jobs and I also can’t really blame the leftovers for being bitter about being left to die

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Didn’t Simmons orchestrate Grantland’s editors simultaneously announcing their moves to The Ringer as some kind of mortal blow to the site to stick it to ESPN (an “eff you move” in Simmons parlance)? I don’t blame those folks for taking a secure-ish media job, but Simmons putting the rest of his former employees in the heap to settle a score is enormously petty.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I believe the issue was some writers and editors were under contract still at ESPN and without warning a cadre of those who weren’t abruptly left to go work with Simmons at the ringer leaving others who were contractually obligated high and dry. Again. This is second hand recall.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dinosaurs! posted:

Didn’t Simmons orchestrate Grantland’s editors simultaneously announcing their moves to The Ringer as some kind of mortal blow to the site to stick it to ESPN (an “eff you move” in Simmons parlance)? I don’t blame those folks for taking a secure-ish media job, but Simmons putting the rest of his former employees in the heap to settle a score is enormously petty.

I don't see the problem here as it's basically the only way to properly poach talent from a place like espn.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

BWV posted:

The "open-mic" line is too funny. I can't think of a single person I associate more with just throwing anyone on a podcast. The guy practically invented "but first, here's my pal/cousin who happens to be an expert because he once lived somewhere. "

Agreed, this is so loving funny. Like, Bill seems like one of those people who actually might learn something from this (or maybe not!) but him using that line in his defense is one of the least self aware things I've heard in a while.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think the bitterness with Fennessy and Ryan is more how they left (suddenly and without telling any of their coworkers/friends what was happening) rather than that they left. But also I think most of those people are ultimately most upset at Simmons himself, who basically torpedoed the whole website because he got really mad at the NFL for suspending Tom Brady and couldn't stop getting in dumb fights with his bosses over it, and whose first instinct, despite being a multimillionaire who was going to easily find work again, was "how can I cripple this website I built that employs dozens of people who considered me a friend and mentor"

MourningView fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 23, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

soggybagel posted:

It’s also clear there is a cohort from Grantland that has animosity to this day towards how that ended and how some in management hosed over people. There’s this weird defense of Simmons (on twitter not here) that’s just like “well he’s giving them a voice!” And it’s true but it doesn’t excuse other short comings.

the biggest of which is that (if i’m remembering the article correctly) there are z e r o black writers working on either the nfl or the nba which is insane for a website the size of the ringer

also having a white guy be your anchor for your atlanta podcast, lmao

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

the biggest of which is that (if i’m remembering the article correctly) there are z e r o black writers working on either the nfl or the nba which is insane for a website the size of the ringer

also having a white guy be your anchor for your atlanta podcast, lmao

White woman, it was Amanda Dobbins. I think the justification was that she was born in Atlanta. I'm sure her experience there was very similar to the characters on the show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Dobbins also hosts a lot of other podcasts for the Ringer, hence the open mic comment.

MourningView posted:

I think the bitterness with Fennessy and Ryan is more how they left (suddenly and without telling any of their coworkers/friends what was happening) rather than that they left. But also I think most of those people are ultimately most upset at Simmons himself, who basically torpedoed the whole website because he got really mad at the NFL for suspending Tom Brady and couldn't stop getting in dumb fights with his bosses over it, and whose first instinct, despite being a multimillionaire who was going to easily find work again, was "how can I cripple this website I built that employs dozens of people who considered me a friend and mentor"

A lot of that was also his grievances with the company as a whole bubbling up. He thought a company built around a traditional cable network should be investing more heavily in marketing their podcasts. And while he wasn't wrong there in theory, the idea that ESPN should pivot away from the central core of ESPN is nutty. So he didn't respect his direct supervisor and John Skipper was lost in a coke binge. It was always primed for disaster and the NFL making GBS threads all over itself in a spectacular fashion that summer (they were also loving up the Ray Rice investigation) was just the perfect spark.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 23, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Declan MacManus posted:

Which is bonkers, because Grantland had black writers from the jump, like Wesley Morris (who already had a Pulitzer to his name) and Rembert Browne (who got his break with Grantland, it was his first gig). Like, one thing that old Bill Simmons used to be good at was identifying good writers and giving them a space to do their thing. He seems to have utterly lost that touch, when was the last time that the Ringer published a good new writer?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

He seems to have utterly lost that touch, when was the last time that the Ringer published a good new writer?

A couple of days ago?

https://twitter.com/tribecalledlex_/status/1273998700017340416

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

dadjokes posted:

Has anyone done a which ringer employee is this character from the wire article but it only uses the white characters from the show joke yet?

Has the Ringer reached peak Season 2?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Eagerly awaiting the Google Forms survey where we all submit one line of Jon's wedding vows

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

tinstaach posted:

Eagerly awaiting the Google Forms survey where we all submit one line of Jon's wedding vows

YES.

Well I'm a dumbass.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

tremendous reply:

https://twitter.com/TheRickRosen/status/1275266593761701888

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Guess he's feeling pretty good now

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

People dredging up old Simmons poo poo is fun

https://twitter.com/jackhaveitall/status/1275561750348419081?s=21

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Its-a me, Da-nil-io! I make-a the three pointer, and I eats-a the pizza pie!

Any time he prefaces something with "you know, I'm half Italian" he is about to say some really wild poo poo, it is one of his weirdest bits

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 24, 2020

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Thinking about how I used to read Deadspin a lot and still stop myself halfway through reflexively typing d-e-enter into my address bar, for some reason

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1275813155827040258

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s pretty rich for Magary to essentially chide Simmons in the last paragraph for not molding The Ringer into something more like Deadspin, when you compare the fates of those two sites.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

General Dog posted:

It’s pretty rich for Magary to essentially chide Simmons in the last paragraph for not molding The Ringer into something more like Deadspin, when you compare the fates of those two sites.

I mean Deadspin didn't fail due to anything but the incompetence of their management.

The writers and editors had jack poo poo to do with it.

Management had an axe to grind, and so they tried loving with editorial. And so the writers left.

Deadspin was more than profitable enough.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

Its-a me, Da-nil-io! I make-a the three pointer, and I eats-a the pizza pie!

would've been funnier and less insensitive than what he actually said tbh

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dexo posted:

I mean Deadspin didn't fail due to anything but the incompetence of their management.

The writers and editors had jack poo poo to do with it.

Management had an axe to grind, and so they tried loving with editorial. And so the writers left.

Deadspin was more than profitable enough.

Right, but they’re a cautionary tale when it comes to the whole “speaking truth to power” thing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
simmons literally is the management who is going to shut down the website in this weird made up scenario where he makes it more like deadspin, which is a bizarre takeaway from an article that is mostly about him being bad at taking criticism and incapable of listening to anyone who is not one of his middle aged white male friends.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
You know how sometimes people who are really interested in something like music and look back on a period where they liked (insert dogshit band here) go "Oh man can't believe I liked them"?

Simmons represents that for me but with sportswriters instead of music

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Someone needs to tell simmons he can take on isaac chotiner.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You know how sometimes people who are really interested in something like music and look back on a period where they liked (insert dogshit band here) go "Oh man can't believe I liked them"?

Simmons represents that for me but with sportswriters instead of music

In some fairness, the alternatives to Simmons for that kind of stuff was like, Rick Reilly and poo poo. It was pretty dire and I give Simmons credit for having a unique voice at that time. But anyone has to learn how to adapt to a changing landscape and Simmons did not really do that (beyond stop writing, I guess).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It still bubbles to the surface occasionally but he's definitely a lot less likely to go on a blatantly racist, homophobic or sexist tangent than he used to be (there is an old page 2 article linked in the Magary piece about why it's okay for Augusta to exclude women that basically boils down to "women are a huge drag and women's sports are only good if they give me a boner"). Clearly he has a little bit of a sense of what he's not supposed to say out loud now and has tried to change some, he just seems completely incapable of considering that viewpoints from people who are different from him or outside his immediate circle might be important or interesting.

He was also already prone to lamenting how the "everyone is offended generation" or however he words it has ruined comedy so probably a good chance that rather than learning from the beating he's taking right now he gets super pissy and steers into that even more

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

He's definitely a lot less likely to go on a blatantly racist, homophobic or sexist tangent than he used to be (there is an old page 2 article linked in the Magary piece about why it's okay for Augusta to exclude women that basically boils down to "women are a huge drag and women's sports are only good if they give me a boner") so he clearly has a little bit of a sense of what he's not supposed to say out loud now, he just also seems completely incapable of considering that viewpoints from people with different backgrounds or opinions might be interesting or important.

He's also one of those "now that I have a daughter, I have realized…" guys