Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hub Cat posted:

I linked it upthread Meghna Jayanth pointed out that Bevan's father was the High Commissioner to India(basically equivalent to a US Ambassador but probably worse because of the colonial history) The British Raj part is a jokey shot at how they are aristocracy as that was the name for the British colonial rule of India not a title, the leader would have been a Governor-General.

For the sake of accuracy, her dad was High Commissioner from 2011-2015. It doesn't look like her dad was ever posted in India before that, so I don't think the claim she spent her teenage years there is actually true. Her dad's basically a senior civil servant, apparently her mum's an english teacher.

Doesn't change the general truth that her husband's an abuser and the attack on "cyberbullies" is a scummy move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I probably should have caught that, she is younger than Kennedy but not that much younger*. Her linkedin has her at Oxford from 2008-2011, it does look like she worked in India for a few months in 2012 but I wouldn't call that teenage years by any stretch. If Jayanth is saying there is something to the privilege/racism angle I'm inclined to believe but I'm definitely not the person to break into this:shrug:

And yeah doesn't change the fact that Alexis Kennedy is an abuser and her attacking his victim's is disgusting even without that aspect.

*He would have been around 43 and she would have been 25ish when they started dating

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 22, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i hope not but you never know.

also what is RPG codex?

Ariong posted:

Doesn’t/didn’t he have an account here? Or was ropekid someone else who worked at obsidian?

It should be noted a lot of devs have accounts there, almost everyone involved in crpgs in the 2000s really. It was one of the first really big sites for talking about rpgs going back to the early 2000s if not the 90s. But like any poorly moderated nerd space it metastasised into a nazi shithole and most devs have avoided it for a decade plus. Avellone gets poo poo cause he's been hanging out there a lot since 2018.

Edit: Basically a dev having an account there isn't a red flag, a dev using their account recently kinda is.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 22, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

https://twitter.com/JessyQuil/status/1274414714630660100 Another list of problem twitch streamers showed up yesterday. See if you can spot any you've watched (I have :()

I didn’t recognize any of the names except for AngryJoe, but I was still heartbroken at the length of the list. I’d like to put a spotlight on this article because it’s horrible. I was nervous just reading it.

https://medium.com/@WookieMonsterTV/my-interaction-with-angryjoe-d715aedb0e02

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jeez. While I never liked Angry Joe's actual content, I always thought that he was a chill guy otherwise. That kinda seriously blows. I used to watch PaperBatVG, he used to do pretty enjoyable Minecraft content. But drat. That he's a creepy abuser pedo guy too, that's hosed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Jeez. While I never liked Angry Joe's actual content, I always thought that he was a chill guy otherwise. That kinda seriously blows. I used to watch PaperBatVG, he used to do pretty enjoyable Minecraft content. But drat. That he's a creepy abuser pedo guy too, that's hosed.

idk who paperbart but i am not surprised about joe. he always kinds struck me as having a shittier side but drat.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

one of the top shout casters in the CSGO scene just had extremely disturbing and credible accusations come out against him. I'm glad this is finally happening, but I'm aghast that I followed this guy for years without thinking anything like that.

edit: it's seriously dire but here https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr9i71
she doesn't even call him a rapist, but if his statements were true to her, he knows that he was.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 22, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk who paperbart but i am not surprised about joe. he always kinds struck me as having a shittier side but drat.
joe's also very "DONT TAKE MY GUNS AWAY AMERICA" so i just kind of assumed he was a prick

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I just saw this linked on the twitch reddit (a load of youtube/streamer people have been accused).

I am not sure if this sub reddit is safe for work or what the comments will be like so enter at your own risk.

https://old.reddit.com/r/LivestreamFail/comments/hdhyd1/dozens_of_women_have_levied_sexual_assault/

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hub Cat posted:

I'm pretty sure he actually believes this and thinks that their accusations were retaliation for the Eurogamer article about Failbetter's financial troubles which largely quotes Kennedy, you would have to be a huge narcissist and abuser to think that way but well here we are.

This article that Bevan linked in her cyberbullying blog post.
Of all the articles for Failbetter to supposedly launch a vendetta over, this conga line of instances where the article author and their sources keep saying "eh, not sure this was necessarily the best move, but it's a complex situation so maybe it was" feels like a pretty weaksauce one.

Maybe it caused massive behind the scenes personal fallout between Alexis and Failbetter. I can see why it would, given that so far as I can tell it involves him talking out of school largely about stuff that happened after he left, which he wasn't involved with, in which he second-guesses the new management's decisions and opinionates about situations which, so far as I can tell, he wasn't actually involved in. Sure, there's other unnamed sources and I guess it makes sense that Eurogamer would seek Kennedy's views, but it really does come across as him going out of his way to brief against the new management.

The idea that Failbetter co-ordinated the callouts against him is a conspiracy theory and not credible. On the other hand, it really looks like Alexis took to the press to publicly fire shots at Failbetter first. It would not have been appropriate for Failbetter to shoot back without good cause (such as the writer of two of their most successful games and their founder and former boss getting called out on social media about stuff he did by dint of his position at Failbetter). But if there was a feud there, it's not true to say that Alexis is an innocent lamb who didn't participate.

And trying to pivot this situation to further whatever it is that Alexis has against Failbetter seems like an astonishingly bad move.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Techland have cut ties with Chris Avellone

https://twitter.com/TechlandGames/status/1275169717196554240

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Paradox also cutting him the gently caress loose.

https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/1275107269643063300

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You know, I really DID just want to shoot poo poo.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Warthur posted:

Of all the articles for Failbetter to supposedly launch a vendetta over, this conga line of instances where the article author and their sources keep saying "eh, not sure this was necessarily the best move, but it's a complex situation so maybe it was" feels like a pretty weaksauce one.

Maybe it caused massive behind the scenes personal fallout between Alexis and Failbetter. I can see why it would, given that so far as I can tell it involves him talking out of school largely about stuff that happened after he left, which he wasn't involved with, in which he second-guesses the new management's decisions and opinionates about situations which, so far as I can tell, he wasn't actually involved in. Sure, there's other unnamed sources and I guess it makes sense that Eurogamer would seek Kennedy's views, but it really does come across as him going out of his way to brief against the new management.

The idea that Failbetter co-ordinated the callouts against him is a conspiracy theory and not credible. On the other hand, it really looks like Alexis took to the press to publicly fire shots at Failbetter first. It would not have been appropriate for Failbetter to shoot back without good cause (such as the writer of two of their most successful games and their founder and former boss getting called out on social media about stuff he did by dint of his position at Failbetter). But if there was a feud there, it's not true to say that Alexis is an innocent lamb who didn't participate.

And trying to pivot this situation to further whatever it is that Alexis has against Failbetter seems like an astonishingly bad move.

To get this out of the way, I don't believe that there is any credence to the idea that Failbetter games coordinated or even took advantage of Alexis Kennedy being credibly accused by multiple women of abuse and predatory behavior and honestly I feel guilty for putting into words an idea that adds even a tiny amount of legitimacy to Kennedy's paranoid conspiracy. The reason I became aware of that article is that Bevan specifically linked to it in her attempt to insinuate that Failbetter was behind the "Cyberbullying" but it did connect some dots on the why of Kennedy's thought process that had been in the back of my mind for a while.

This sort of paranoid magical thinking that everyone acts as he does and every criticism is an intentional attack is basically a hallmark of the kind of narcissistic abuser I believe Kennedy to be and the hypocrisy of him "taking the first shot" would be completely lost on him or considered fair play for them destroying his company or something equally narcissistic as that.

And yeah him continuing to dredge this up to take shots is an incredibly bad move but his ego won't let him act in any other way.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Paradox also cutting him the gently caress loose.

Good

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 23, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

You know, I really DID just want to shoot poo poo.

But instead we’re watching a poo poo chute.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i never felt too strongly either way about avellone but nothing of value's being lost from him finally getting shaken off the umpteen projects he's hooked his name onto

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hub Cat posted:

To get this out of the way, I don't believe that there is any credence to the idea that Failbetter games coordinated or even took advantage of Alexis Kennedy being credibly accused by multiple women of abuse and predatory behavior and honestly I feel guilty for putting into words an idea that adds even a tiny amount of legitimacy to Kennedy's paranoid conspiracy. The only reason I even became aware of that article is that Bevan specifically linked to it in her attempt to insinuate that Failbetter was behind the "Cyberbullying" but it did connect some dots on the why of Kennedy's thought process.
Oh, to clarify, I a) completely agree with everything you say in this post and b) didn't think you were giving credence to the conspiracy theory he puts forth about Failbetter - I was just trying to phrase my post so it didn't look like I was entertaining the idea either.

Good spot on the link, BTW, and I'd encourage people to go read it. It's another in the parade of articles heavily sourcing Kennedy that came out in the gap between him leaving Failbetter and the stories coming out last year which feel weirdly off, alongside the one which was profiling him and Lotte's relationship where the journalist later said "Yeah, hands up, I got played on that one and I regret writing it."

Warthur fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 23, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

So I can stop overthinking and rewriting this post into a way that I think is good. It's all good I didn't think you were being lovely and I think my post comes off as hostile towards you when I didn't really intend it that way so my bad.

Warthur posted:

alongside the one which was profiling him and Lotte's relationship where the journalist later said "Yeah, hands up, I got played on that one and I regret writing it."
Honestly that article is so beyond the pale I don't even understand how anyone took Kennedy's response to the accusations seriously in light of it.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 23, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Speaking of games writers and abuse:

https://twitter.com/ericsapp/status/1275229712126640132

This one is harder to find a nexus on but the three men named were ex-IGN/Gamespot/Future staff going back to the 1UP era who have been openly mentioned as being some of the most abusive, terrible humans to work under and there are a few people tossing out some "It's not my story but there's some after-hours poo poo" related to them. Two of the three of them now work for a "consulting" firm that may or may not be padding their resumes based on what a few ex-staffers at places they claim to work/edits to the site are now changing. These are some of the larger threads I could find with stories rather than just "oh gently caress these guys!" one tweet chorus from their ex-employees.

https://twitter.com/inkydojikko/status/1275297428804001792
https://twitter.com/seaninallcaps/status/1275235757125296129
https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1275320891732156416
https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1275290568973709321

Separately, and a lot less of this has crossed my timeline since I know/follow less people who dealt with this one directly, an ex-Gamespot manager who was legit fired by HR a while ago is supposed to have a taste for the too young to know better women beneath him.

https://twitter.com/AStraww/status/1274773201336143872
https://twitter.com/Lighthammer_/status/1275285528485617664

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ok this one is funny

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zongerian posted:

Ok this one is funny
Yeah? What's the joke?

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Average woman in the game industry: Yeah I can't accept drinks from strangers or leave mine unattended or go anywhere by myself at industry events, but I really want to work in games so hopefully we can change that

That guy: My boss at my dream job said I love puppies and ice cream so I got on the next flight out of town

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zongerian posted:

Average woman in the game industry: Yeah I can't accept drinks from strangers or leave mine unattended or go anywhere by myself at industry events, but I really want to work in games so hopefully we can change that

That guy: My boss at my dream job said I love puppies and ice cream so I got on the next flight out of town

bullying is bullying, but go off king

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Hi Mom, the 6 figure job didn't work out so I'm coming home, it all started when I was eating a shrimp cocktail during a meeting...

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Isn't he just confirming that the people were idiots when he worked for them on top of all the stories?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zongerian posted:

Hi Mom, the 6 figure job didn't work out so I'm coming home, it all started when I was eating a shrimp cocktail during a meeting...

ah yes, games journalist, that well known 6 figgie job

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Zongerian posted:

Ok this one is funny

aww I was expecting comedy.

sounded like a pretty lovely and toxic situation to me. but I mean, lol he went home to mommy hahaha right?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Zongerian posted:

Doubling down on mocking the guy isn't great. Dude was in a toxic situation and imo did the right thing by getting out and going public with it.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Zongerian posted:

Seek help

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jippa posted:

Isn't he just confirming that the people were idiots when he worked for them on top of all the stories?

Yeah the other stories about those people are literally about the toxic bullying culture they created as management, and how it drove people out

but lmao snowflake jokes or something

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I do like rainbows, puppies, and ice cream. So it wouldn't bother me at all if somebody said something like that to me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i like them too and yet i can still identify when these things are being used to bully and intimidate by someone with financial control over someone's life and using their power to make that life miserable, and be able to say that that is a bad thing, not a funny joke~

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/1275099271558242305

sounds like avellone is getting the toss at techland sooner or later. it sounds like he was a massive pain in the rear end to them already anyway if the rumors are correct.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/1275099271558242305

sounds like avellone is getting the toss at techland sooner or later. it sounds like he was a massive pain in the rear end to them already anyway if the rumors are correct.

https://twitter.com/TechlandGames/status/1275169717196554240

Already on this same page

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Man it's going to be weird seeing the usual chorus of "well I never liked his stuff anyways :smuggo:" posturing people do when a predator gets outed after 20 years of Planescape being hailed as one of the best game narratives of all time and a decade of New Vegas as the gold standard of open world storytelling.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sleeveless posted:

Man it's going to be weird seeing the usual chorus of "well I never liked his stuff anyways :smuggo:" posturing people do when a predator gets outed after 20 years of Planescape being hailed as one of the best game narratives of all time and a decade of New Vegas as the gold standard of open world storytelling.

Nah. I think there will be a bit more acknowledgement of the fact that his role in a lot of the games he gets Games Media Worshipped for was always overblown though. He has always been a spotlight chaser, in contrast to dudes like Sawyer who always try to correct people when they reflexively attribute everything in a game to him, and points out the lesser known writers.

Death to the Great Man theory of game development.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol sorry. but yeah, nice to see.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah. I think there will be a bit more acknowledgement of the fact that his role in a lot of the games he gets Games Media Worshipped for was always overblown though. He has always been a spotlight chaser, in contrast to dudes like Sawyer who always try to correct people when they reflexively attribute everything in a game to him, and points out the lesser known writers.

Death to the Great Man theory of game development.

this. he did write good stuff but i do suspect he probably claimed credit for poo poo he only helped with, unlike sawyer and others.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

to be fair a few people have been cooling on Avellone for a while now, whether because of Kreia/Ulysses/Durance and GM or because of the Obsidian split and RPGCodex tell-all

also New Vegas was a Sawyer joint anyway, Avellone just led 3 of the DLCs

also I don't think he was much of a spotlight chaser, he gave credit where credit was due. nerds just seem really prone to auteurism for some reason, and the Kickstarter superstar stuff was supposedly arranged by his bosses at Obsidian

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Sleeveless posted:

That and the current flood of “We’d like to make it clear that we’ve already removed every trace of his content from the game; in fact in most cases we never included it in the first place”.

10/10 to them for doing the right thing once there was no alternative, but a penalty of at least half that for knowing the rumours about him and still choosing to hire him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

to be fair a few people have been cooling on Avellone for a while now, whether because of Kreia/Ulysses/Durance and GM or because of the Obsidian split and RPGCodex tell-all

also New Vegas was a Sawyer joint anyway, Avellone just led 3 of the DLCs

i'm guessing honest hearts was the odd one out?

dead money was superb and old world blues was great too if you were onboard with its humor, though lonesome road was the first example i personally noticed of his characters' relentless proselytizing dragging down the rest of whatever story he was trying to tell