Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

khy posted:

Someone should run a chill server for those of us using the Epic store version until it gets fixed so it cross-play properly with steam

I'd do it, but I don't know if the ARK Server Manager would do it. Server is up and running though if it turns up on your list. If you can get in, awesome. Wait up and I'll add you to the tribe.

Edit: From my understanding, you need to get the game from the Epic Store as well as the modkit and from there just copy and paste the mod I'd numbers from the steam pages of the mods and you should be good to go. From there I'm not 100% sure about crossplay, but it should be mechanically the same as usual and you just find the server from the list.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Apparently there's a huge clusterfuck going on that's loving up servers and other things hence the issues. Will post as things happen.

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer

doomrider7 posted:

Ok my server is up and these are these are the mods I have running.

1. Structures Plus
2. Super Structures

Edit: I really loving hate all of these updates that have been dropping lately. Pretty sure that's what's loving up my servers.

Unless I'm mistaken, you should only have one of these, not both. SS is a fork of S+ and does the same stuff basically.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lord Booga posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, you should only have one of these, not both. SS is a fork of S+ and does the same stuff basically.

And that's where I hosed up. I have super structures it's PLATFORMS PLUS that I have. No wonder my friends could get into my server.

Fixed mod and server info.

1. Platforms Plus
2. Super Structures
3. Super Spyglass
4. Rare Sightings
5. Super Rafts
6. Super Speedboats
7. Krakens Better Dinos

Server is Doomrider7's Domain of Death - The Island

Password is, darryl

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Also, the dodo thing is that the dodos with party hats have properties such that if you axe/pick them they give cake instead of meat and hide. The cake is exclusively used to craft event items and is otherwise worthless, which I expect is mighty discouraging to the influx of beach bobs who are looking for dinner but instead have 40 pounds of useless cake.

And, if you're playing on a server than has engrams unlocked or otherwise allows you to get a boomerang, get one. They're great for early game excuse tames. Together with a bola I've collected a motley crew on a new server cluster I started spending time on when the chill server was down.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Also, the dodo thing is that the dodos with party hats have properties such that if you axe/pick them they give cake instead of meat and hide. The cake is exclusively used to craft event items and is otherwise worthless, which I expect is mighty discouraging to the influx of beach bobs who are looking for dinner but instead have 40 pounds of useless cake.

And, if you're playing on a server than has engrams unlocked or otherwise allows you to get a boomerang, get one. They're great for early game excuse tames. Together with a bola I've collected a motley crew on a new server cluster I started spending time on when the chill server was down.

Chibis bro

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TeeMerk posted:

Chibis bro

I vaguely know what those are, but what do they do exactly? Also, yeah server stuff is hosed until further notice it seems outside of official.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

I vaguely know what those are, but what do they do exactly? Also, yeah server stuff is hosed until further notice it seems outside of official.

The only use I know for them is to raise your level cap by five for leveling the chibi. Which I guess is good, but my point about the cake still stands.

At least let us eat the cake!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

A few friends and I got the game for free and spent the weekend playing on another friend's private server on The Island.

We did not find The Island to be that fun of an experience (in the video game sense, where we spent 12 hours claiming we weren't having fun but actually having fun) where we couldn't establish anything, but maybe we were doing it wrong.

We started on the "easy" spawns mostly in the South and there were a fair amount of things that would mess us up. I think we lost an entire base when an Alpha Raptor spawned and wiped us all out. Just found it difficult to get any sort of real base going near any real resources. We did establish an eventual cliffside base sort of in the north on the coast near the ice line, but everything else was wiped.

We spent hours getting a base up in the north and defending it - we got up to Metal armor and were doing pretty drat well, EZ kills on the Scoprions & iron deposits, so we were metal flush and chitin flush... and a loving Alpha T-Rex spawned 2 feet from our base and wiped out every drat thing.

Are we missing something? Is it as simple as building stone & not wood huts? Do we need more fencing or something? Is this just bad luck?

Anyway tl;dr is we are addicted enough that we rolled a dedicated server ($12-16/mo) and are hoping to figure out how to get some Mods working so we can connect via EGS. We started this one on Ragnarok and it seems to not treat metal as some divine substance, we were able to instantly establish a (somewhat unsafe, but doable!) base in a nice metal spawning area. We know what we're doing now but were able to move MUCH quicker.

Maybe we were moving too fast and the game expects you to spend a long time on the small metal deposits/rocks? It didn't really seem like there were any safe places, any time we thought a place was safe it wasn't really, and goddamn do Alphas really spawn that often? Maybe we're just dumb and can't stay in the new areas.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 22, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

charity rereg posted:

A few friends and I got the game for free and spent the weekend playing on another friend's private server on The Island.

We did not find The Island to be that fun of an experience (in the video game sense, where we spent 12 hours claiming we weren't having fun but actually having fun) where we couldn't establish anything, but maybe we were doing it wrong.

We started on the "easy" spawns mostly in the South and there were a fair amount of things that would mess us up. I think we lost an entire base when an Alpha Raptor spawned and wiped us all out. Just found it difficult to get any sort of real base going near any real resources. We did establish an eventual cliffside base sort of in the north on the coast near the ice line, but everything else was wiped.

We spent hours getting a base up in the north and defending it - we got up to Metal armor and were doing pretty drat well, EZ kills on the Scoprions & iron deposits, so we were metal flush and chitin flush... and a loving Alpha T-Rex spawned 2 feet from our base and wiped out every drat thing.

Are we missing something? Is it as simple as building stone & not wood huts? Do we need more fencing or something? Is this just bad luck?

Anyway tl;dr is we are addicted enough that we rolled a dedicated server ($12-16/mo) and are hoping to figure out how to get some Mods working so we can connect via EGS. We started this one on Ragnarok and it seems to not treat metal as some divine substance, we were able to instantly establish a (somewhat unsafe, but doable!) base in a nice metal spawning area. We know what we're doing now but were able to move MUCH quicker.

Maybe we were moving too fast and the game expects you to spend a long time on the small metal deposits/rocks? It didn't really seem like there were any safe places, any time we thought a place was safe it wasn't really, and goddamn do Alphas really spawn that often? Maybe we're just dumb and can't stay in the new areas.

Where are you if I may ask? Alphas to occasionally spawn, but it shouldn't be with such an odd frequency. North is only good for bases once you're well and truly settled and even THEN only with stone since yeah, alphas will gently caress poo poo up. A good idea is to build a perimeter wall of stone doorways or windows and set spike traps on the outside. That way whatever attacks will take damage and you'll have open space to shoot at them with arrows before they can break in. The inside of the perimeter can be whatever you want since the idea is that creatures wont be able to break past the perimeter wall.

The instant you start getting sufficiently powerful tames, this stops being an issue since you can just kill the intruding pests.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

We were definitely underusing tames as a necessary survival/hunting mechanic. was always fighting alone (or 2-3) on foot. so that will definitely help.

made a base, just enjoying ragnarok a bit more so far but will log in later after work and look at where our failed bases are. stone is do-able too, just didn't realize it mattered besides "some more hp" but i should have listened to the 3 little pigs :(

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I like the Island but Ragnarok is a better map with more easily available resources in specific areas and has the plus of having griffins which are really fun to ride.
Other than the new player paradise herbivore island in the south east most of the areas with a good resources on the Island map tend to be fairly difficult. Ragnarok has areas that have been created for base placement with a handful of resources scattered around each one, some obviously better than others but usually with a bit of most of what you'll need to get started.

I just recently restarted on a fresh Island server in the NW "hard" zone and alphas are everywhere. Yesterday there were 2 alpha raptors and an alpha rex on the beach near the house and 2 alpha carnos ate myself and my argent after a purlovia unseated me. I try to build on ridges so I only have to worry about one direction and have some throwaway tames i can lure the big carnivores away and then leave as bait while I escape.
Easiest way to deal with them early is either strip naked and chain suicide kite them away from your area or get on a raft with a friend and waggle your friend at the alpha leading it further and further away from shore. It won't be fast enough to catch the raft and you can kite it it until your friend unloads a ton of arrows into it's face. As long as you keep aggro it won't return to shore.

If the alphas are too annoying they are pretty easy to replace with their normal counterparts or reduce their damage in the config files for the server.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
This game is all about tames. Doing anything on foot is generally gonna get you wrecked by the wildlife.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

charity rereg posted:

We were definitely underusing tames as a necessary survival/hunting mechanic. was always fighting alone (or 2-3) on foot. so that will definitely help.

made a base, just enjoying ragnarok a bit more so far but will log in later after work and look at where our failed bases are. stone is do-able too, just didn't realize it mattered besides "some more hp" but i should have listened to the 3 little pigs :(

Pretty much EVERYTHING can tear down thatch and wood. Stone is REALLY hard to make unless you have both a beaver and doedicurus to gather the necessary wood and stone, but once set, you can get building a good fort. The perimeter is the most important and NEEDS to be stone or better, but unless you're doing PvP metal is pointless since only a literal handful of creatures can actually damage stone and are mostly passive herbivores(save for the Therizino) than can only be found in certain regions. Once the perimeter is set, everything inside of it can be thatch without any issue if you choose(it's what I did).

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 22, 2020

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

doomrider7 posted:

Pretty much EVERYTHING can tear down thatch and wood. Stone is REALLY hard to make unless you have both a beaver and doedicurus to gather the necessary wood and stone, but once set, you can get building a good fort. The perimeter is the most important and NEEDS to be stone or better, but unless you're doing PvP metal is pointless since only a literal handful of creatures can actually damage stone and are mostly passive herbivores(save for the Therizino) than can only be found in certain regions. Once the perimeter is set, everything inside of it can be thatch without any issue if you choose(it's what I did).

Keep in mind that if you aren't building on a perfectly flat plain with a 360 degree perimeter, there is always the chance that a raptor will get stuck on your spikes and get shunted through a wall somehow. Happened a couple times to us. We built everything from stone anyway. The absolutely best move is to get an Argentavis as soon as possible. They're extremely powerful tames that can take on just about anything that could attack your base and they can lift a ton of useful utility dinos for leisurely taming at your convenience. You can make a really simple Argentavis trap for real cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCmS35JOAM

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

Keep in mind that if you aren't building on a perfectly flat plain with a 360 degree perimeter, there is always the chance that a raptor will get stuck on your spikes and get shunted through a wall somehow. Happened a couple times to us. We built everything from stone anyway. The absolutely best move is to get an Argentavis as soon as possible. They're extremely powerful tames that can take on just about anything that could attack your base and they can lift a ton of useful utility dinos for leisurely taming at your convenience. You can make a really simple Argentavis trap for real cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCmS35JOAM

I've played the game a lot, but started fresh on a cluster recently. I just followed that video yesterday and I'll make two notes (that people sort of comment on) :

1. They patched it a bit, so you need to put a 1-high stone pillar on one of the legs of the fence support for the railings to "stick" - they won't place otherwise.

2. If using S+ or the newer variant mods, you'll probably want the vanilla variant of the railings as the S+ ones don't snap outward into the air like they do in that video. I'd also recommend the vanilla reinforced door as the S+ one automatically opens/closes, which you don't want.

Argies are great, but taming them can be a hassle because they LOVE to get themselves killed. They have an ability that causes them to regenerate after eating, so they'll scavenge corpses - such as the ones actively being eaten by other predators. If you can tag one and draw it away from other dinos, you should be set to use that trap, just remember to open the door to get them stuck - it's a really clever use of ARK's goofy game mechanics.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

HexiDave posted:

I've played the game a lot, but started fresh on a cluster recently. I just followed that video yesterday and I'll make two notes (that people sort of comment on) :

1. They patched it a bit, so you need to put a 1-high stone pillar on one of the legs of the fence support for the railings to "stick" - they won't place otherwise.

2. If using S+ or the newer variant mods, you'll probably want the vanilla variant of the railings as the S+ ones don't snap outward into the air like they do in that video. I'd also recommend the vanilla reinforced door as the S+ one automatically opens/closes, which you don't want.

Argies are great, but taming them can be a hassle because they LOVE to get themselves killed. They have an ability that causes them to regenerate after eating, so they'll scavenge corpses - such as the ones actively being eaten by other predators. If you can tag one and draw it away from other dinos, you should be set to use that trap, just remember to open the door to get them stuck - it's a really clever use of ARK's goofy game mechanics.

Yeah, that is true. I forgot that you needed a pillar to make it work now. This guy's traps are real game changers imo. Much better than having to build an old-fashioned dino gate cage. Hell, I think I tamed my first argy inside of my base. Just lured it in with my pteranodon and let it get eaten.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Here's an example of "maybe we're doing it wrong," but keep in mind we're basically naked and new - the only major change I have on my server is XP is set to 3x (which I've now read may only be 1.5x? as sometime in the past the default rate doubled?) and I have day set to double length & night set to half length (if there is a reason not to do this, like some things which only exist at night let me know)

We start on Ragnarok on the default spawn, explore around the beach, do all of that stuff. We run up a little bit of the ways inland now that we have our basics and establish a single bed/thatch platform for respawns and try to build a first base. We do the not-too-painstaking work to get a few tranq arrows and figure literally the first thing we should get is a big herbivore to harvest more berries because running around harvesting Narcoberries by hand sucks rear end.

So we make 10-15 Tranq arrows by hand, move a little bit away from our base, and take out a trike. We get the triceratops, my buddy sets it to follow him... and the large triceratops dies walking back to the base, wasting all of our time. Some large mammal killed it. So we started over and got more trikes, which as far as we know are still alive... we put up a big wood spike wall that at least keeps the big dinos out.

I should also point out that we're factorio players? So as "minecraft inspired games" go our instinct is "we need to scale this up," and maybe that's wrong?? But there are countless big unkillable-without-flak-armor predators all over even in this newbie area. Along the beach on the way toward Ragnarok Castle from spawn (a fairly short run from the default suggested spawn!) we ran into an Alpha Raptor which we only killed because I could get up on a cliff.

With much appreciation the "get this crazy rear end dino ASAP" seems like "just draw the rest of the owl" to me. I had 2 raptors but they both died :(

I feel like maybe we're doing something wrong or have the wrong goal, or are skipping some major steps? Like when you say stone is expensive to build a base, we're still at the scale where going and hitting some rocks with my metal axe gets me enough stone to make a few walls/foundations. Our base is like 3 foundations wide and then a much larger enclosed spike area. We do have some irrigation coming up but the pipes broke? We couldn't figure out what broke them. It's fixed now!

#1 request would be "drop my own beam of light" (so I can find my way home) or have my tribe mates position permanently displayed via < > hatches like in Arma 3 squads. We spend so much time going "wait where did you go?" if one of us gets out of sight.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 23, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

If you could only get one tame, an Argent would be the best choice hands down. When leveled it is strong enough to fight alphas via hit and run with HP to spare if you get stuck for a minute, has 50% weight reduction on a massive number of raw resource types, and can fly and lift the three other most useful construction tames (beaver, anky, and doed). Last night I cleaned Whitesky Peak of metal by flying around with an anky in my grasp letting it auto-smack metal as I flew by.

Once you have flight, the game changes, since you have so much more freedom of movement.

But as others said, your main goal should be to never get in fights with the wildlife on foot. You have 100-300 hitpoints. Pretty much everything has more endurance than you do, and a large percentage of things can do enough damage to chomp you in one bite. You are crunchy and good with ketchup. Even if your tame is just a sack of hitpoints like a parasaur, spearing a raptor from the back of your parasaur is way more likely to end in victory for you than trying to fight it on foot.

I started on a new cluster recently, and my first three tames were all random tek parasaurs that I found, which got me through the initial construction of a stone house, since I could go out with a hatchet and break rocks until I had 3 tons of stone to haul back. If something came up to try and eat me, I can hop on the highest level/least encumbered one and fight it off. (Note this offer does not apply to Alphas. At least solo, I wouldn't attempt these until you have a reasonably high-HP high-damage tame.)

edit: The only thing that you probably want to think about w.r.t. night is Megalosaurus (not to be confused with Megaloceros, Megalania, Megatherium, Megalodon, or Meganeura). https://ark.gamepedia.com/Megalosaurus

And I guess if you install a lighting mod you can make really pretty bases that have a wonderful look at night that you'll never get to see.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 23, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

charity rereg posted:

Here's an example of "maybe we're doing it wrong," but keep in mind we're basically naked and new - the only major change I have on my server is XP is set to 3x (which I've now read may only be 1.5x? as sometime in the past the default rate doubled?) and I have day set to double length & night set to half length (if there is a reason not to do this, like some things which only exist at night let me know)

We start on Ragnarok on the default spawn, explore around the beach, do all of that stuff. We run up a little bit of the ways inland now that we have our basics and establish a single bed/thatch platform for respawns and try to build a first base. We do the not-too-painstaking work to get a few tranq arrows and figure literally the first thing we should get is a big herbivore to harvest more berries because running around harvesting Narcoberries by hand sucks rear end.

So we make 10-15 Tranq arrows by hand, move a little bit away from our base, and take out a trike. We get the triceratops, my buddy sets it to follow him... and the large triceratops dies walking back to the base, wasting all of our time. Some large mammal killed it. So we started over and got more trikes, which as far as we know are still alive... we put up a big wood spike wall that at least keeps the big dinos out.

I should also point out that we're factorio players? So as "minecraft inspired games" go our instinct is "we need to scale this up," and maybe that's wrong?? But there are countless big unkillable-without-flak-armor predators all over even in this newbie area. Along the beach on the way toward Ragnarok Castle from spawn (a fairly short run from the default suggested spawn!) we ran into an Alpha Raptor which we only killed because I could get up on a cliff.

With much appreciation the "get this crazy rear end dino ASAP" seems like "just draw the rest of the owl" to me. I had 2 raptors but they both died :(

I feel like maybe we're doing something wrong or have the wrong goal, or are skipping some major steps? Like when you say stone is expensive to build a base, we're still at the scale where going and hitting some rocks with my metal axe gets me enough stone to make a few walls/foundations. Our base is like 3 foundations wide and then a much larger enclosed spike area. We do have some irrigation coming up but the pipes broke? We couldn't figure out what broke them. It's fixed now!

I'm not familiar with Rag, since I only started back up recently and have only played of Valguero and The Island since coming back, but see my previous post: get some hitpoint bag excuse tames like parasaurs. They're garbage, but they'll die before you die if you're riding them. They run, but bolas will hold them down long enough for you to club/slingshot/tranq them. I forgot to mention that bolas work on non-Alpha raptors as well, so you can slap one on a raptor and kill it from a distance with your 20-seconds or so of root.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

It still gets dark out and hits full dark for a bit of IRL time, but when you're low level it's excruciating (and scary, I like that!) at night. Though like a dumbass I did just figure out you can drop a torch to light an area, we were just running or blindly stabbing in the dark

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

charity rereg posted:

It still gets dark out and hits full dark for a bit of IRL time, but when you're low level it's excruciating (and scary, I like that!) at night. Though like a dumbass I did just figure out you can drop a torch to light an area, we were just running or blindly stabbing in the dark

Flare guns are kinda helpful too, but only marginally. Shooting a flare into the sky will light up a wide area temporarily.

A final thought I had is that Ark is kinda like Rimworld: The beginning is a brutal filter, only instead of starving and mood-break cascades, it is getting constantly eaten by raptors and dilos. But at some point after you've gotten a small stone one-room house, a tame or two, and a flyer, you'll realize you're doing way better than you were before, and will quickly ramp up to making extravagant ego bases, making risky tames, and starting dinosaur eugenics programs.

I might also suggest examining the multipliers you're using for your server--I tend to play on heavily modded servers, and you'll probably want to consider speeding up tame times and breeding (mating, gestation/hatching, maturation, and imprinting) times.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I wanted to tread very, very lightly between tweaking for QOL and fun. I did get a low level rex last night and that took like 30+ minutes, and since it's a private server with 4-5 people who occasionally play that's probably true.

What is the point of chitin armor btw? On both maps it has been easier/safer(ish)/faster to farm metal and just skip it entirely, it comes late enough in the tech tree that we can usually sneak by with leather until flak. We had to dump all of our Chitin into saddles for the fliers (which... also die easily)

Assuming nothing is dead we have a Rex & two trikes...

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
I'd say some tips early on would be:

1. Rafts. If you're by the ocean often, make rafts. You can make them into mobile houses that can carry big dinos on them quickly. They're also a hilariously good way to kill nasty dinos: plink the dino in the face so they chase you into the water, park the boat and shoot them, resume - repeat until dead. Alpha raptors/carnos are a great way to level up later in the game, and this works very well.

2. Sheep (well, Ovis). If you're on Rag, they should be plentiful in the NE corner of the map in the Highlands area. They drop mutton when killed (use a pick!) which carnivores love. It will drastically reduce the time to tame them over normal meat. If you end up with a lot of it, cook it and eat it instead of normal meat yourself - it lasts longer and fills you up more.

3. Spyglass. Get some crystal and make one - it'll help you spot serious dangers further away. Pretty obvious, but knowing if the raptors ahead of you are level 20 or 120 is really important.

4. Farming. You can sort of cheat on Rag as there are wild-growing veggies in places, but if you can set up a farm for the 4 veggies and probably narcoberries early, it will help you later when you actually want to craft a decent amount of soups and such. To go along with this, if you can get some oil, make a few Preserving Bins to make jerky - it's used in some recipes later and takes a long time to make.

4.5. Spoiled meat trick. Sort of an addendum to 4, but you'll need a lot of spoiled meat for narcotics. There's a dumb trick to getting a lot: if you have stacks of meat (or big ones with stacking mods), when they get low on their spoil timer right-click the stacks and "Split -> Split All". This will put single stacks of meat in your inventory with the same spoil timer as the stack. So, they'll all spoil at the same time.

5. Pteranadons. Argies are better for most things, but you can't saddle them until you're level 62 when the engram unlocks. The Pteranadon, though, can be bola'd in place for easy taming (wait until they land, if you can) and their saddle unlocks at level 38. Pump levels into stamina and weight so you can fly around picking stuff up longer. Right-clicking will do a grab move, which you can use to pick up tribe mates and carry them - great for emergencies when they're stuck being attacked. You can also hit "C" to do a spin attack which will kill small, annoying fliers really well.

Other than that, be prepared to die a stunning number of times. You'll lose dinos to stupid mistakes and bugs, but once you get a breeding pair you won't be nearly as angry.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I don't think I've ever crafted chitin, usually I just wear what I find from beacons if it's better than what I have on.

Warmachine posted:

I might also suggest examining the multipliers you're using for your server--I tend to play on heavily modded servers, and you'll probably want to consider speeding up tame times and breeding (mating, gestation/hatching, maturation, and imprinting) times.

What he said, raise these all for sure, I personally don't go crazy on the tame times usually 3x or 4x is as high as I go but maturation and imprinting are just timers you have to wait out. It's standing in the base waiting for a thing that can screw you over if you try to leave and don't make it back in time.
When you try to tame a higher level bronto you'll be sitting there for many hours using berries but you don't want to raise it so high that kibble ceases to be a thing that matters. For meat eaters try to get some mutton, it really helps with tame times and the resulting dino level and is a good stepping stone before you get kibble. On Ragnarok you can find the sheep all over the place in the NW corner of the map north of the trench and south of the redwood forest. It's worth flying there and getting a big supply of it to bring back.

Raptors are fun but super fragile, wolves are like upgraded raptors a few and will rip most things apart. With the pack leader, pack, and mate boost bonuses they get pretty strong and don't require saddles to ride (although they lose out on some armor because of that)
If you set up a taming box with a ramp to the open top and a wall of open doorways on the other side you just run up the ramp fall into the box and run out the other side the dinos fall in but are stuck and you shoot them through the doorway. That works well for any small to medium sized dino and you can remove the ramp to keep them safe while taming.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Chitin Engrams are not very useful, but you'll find Chitin blueprints far more often than flack blueprints, and blueprinted items are much better.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bucnasti posted:

Chitin Engrams are not very useful, but you'll find Chitin blueprints far more often than flack blueprints, and blueprinted items are much better.

This. A benefit of chitin is that it's much easier to harvest than the materials for flak armor. Just go out and kill some bugs and you're good.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

doomrider7 posted:

This. A benefit of chitin is that it's much easier to harvest than the materials for flak armor. Just go out and kill some bugs and you're good.

Being factorio players idk maybe we pretty quickly had flak stuff going once we got high enough level to craft it. Ragnarok isnt shy on metal, and even in The Island we had a base up on the North default (Hard) spawn getting metal for a bit.

I will probably pick the game up if it goes on sale (its been $10 before in April so I can't see why not) on Steam thursday, I don't want to wait for EGS to get its poo poo sorted out with mods. I already found a few community servers to try out.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

charity rereg posted:

Being factorio players idk maybe we pretty quickly had flak stuff going once we got high enough level to craft it. Ragnarok isnt shy on metal, and even in The Island we had a base up on the North default (Hard) spawn getting metal for a bit.

I will probably pick the game up if it goes on sale (its been $10 before in April so I can't see why not) on Steam thursday, I don't want to wait for EGS to get its poo poo sorted out with mods. I already found a few community servers to try out.

If at any point the Explorer's Edition goes on sale for $50, buy it ASAP. That one includes the base game and the Season Pass which is the first three main story DLC's(yes there's a story), Scorched Earth, Aberration, Extinction.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Explorer edition was $23ish on steam in april, i expect it to match that price in the summer sale. Maybe hit straight $20? Last summer sale the game was $20, this April it was $10 so fingers crossed.

I found a really good chill community I want to play on that's modded, so 'eh ive already gotten >30 hours out of the free game, i'm in.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 24, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

charity rereg posted:

Explorer edition was $23ish on steam in april, i expect it to match that price in the summer sale. Maybe hit straight $20? Last summer sale the game was $20, this April it was $10 so fingers crossed.

I found a really good chill community I want to play on that's modded, so 'eh ive already gotten >30 hours out of the free game, i'm in.

Modded community in the Epic one or Steam one for later? I'm gonna gear up and sort my server issues later to start up again. You're free to join when things get sorted.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

DELETED BECAUSE I AM DUMB

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

charity rereg posted:

The engram versions of gear only take a few resources to make. Good Blueprinted gear can take thousands of each resource to create.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

charity rereg posted:

I wanted to tread very, very lightly between tweaking for QOL and fun. I did get a low level rex last night and that took like 30+ minutes, and since it's a private server with 4-5 people who occasionally play that's probably true.

What is the point of chitin armor btw? On both maps it has been easier/safer(ish)/faster to farm metal and just skip it entirely, it comes late enough in the tech tree that we can usually sneak by with leather until flak. We had to dump all of our Chitin into saddles for the fliers (which... also die easily)

Assuming nothing is dead we have a Rex & two trikes...

Chitin armor was great to get when Survival of the Fittest was a thing but in the base game it's generally disappointing. I don't know if things have changed much but it always felt like a pit fall since you need lots of cementing paste.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Loiku posted:

Chitin armor was great to get when Survival of the Fittest was a thing but in the base game it's generally disappointing. I don't know if things have changed much but it always felt like a pit fall since you need lots of cementing paste.

They've changed much then since you don't need cementing paste for it now. Just chitin, hide, and fiber all of which are incredibly easy to gather.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

An update: We realized in a scouting mission that our base was actually underneath one of the established set pieces in Ragnarok, so we went uphill and cleared that out. Need to build some Dino pens because a wandering Therizinosaur killed our trikes. It seems a bit silly how often they spawn for how dangerous they can be and how large they are.

Now we have a base up at the setpiece and its flat land with metal, crystal, and obsidian. I snagged and Arge and we went farming for Chitin around the volcano area. Got a great perch up on a cliff and tranqed a Therizinosaur who now replaces our trikes for gathering and he's way better at defense. We have a stone forge house up the cliff. Feels like things are coming together a little bit. We also upped tame speed to 5x which didn't seem too cheat-y. We're at the point where a bad death isn't a huge deal because even metal ingots is only a small time bottleneck not a huge "ugh where do we get more metalllll" bitchfest. And yeah I pulled a 130% blue xbow from a supply crate BP and its crazy expensive.

I made and lost my first gun, was gathering metal when I picked up a turtle egg, the turtles got mad, I was heavy with metal and they bumped me off a huge cliff. They followed me down the cliff and I had a huge spear battle with them in the water which I won, but then couldn't find a place to get out of the water before I was exhausted and drowned. Hell yeah.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 24, 2020

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

They've changed much then since you don't need cementing paste for it now. Just chitin, hide, and fiber all of which are incredibly easy to gather.

Those were always the ingredients (I think). It never took cementing paste to make the armor. Chitin/keratin at that time was pretty much the only way to make cementing paste at the time and beaver dams weren't a thing yet. Keratin was also fairly rare so if you wanted cementing paste it almost all came from chitin. That almost all came from pulmoscorps until meganeura (sp?) were added.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Loiku posted:

Those were always the ingredients (I think). It never took cementing paste to make the armor. Chitin/keratin at that time was pretty much the only way to make cementing paste at the time and beaver dams weren't a thing yet. Keratin was also fairly rare so if you wanted cementing paste it almost all came from chitin. That almost all came from pulmoscorps until meganeura (sp?) were added.

Ah so that's what you meant. Yeah man cementing paste is trivially easy to farm from beavers or even making it from chitin/keratin. I wasn't there in the olden days so I dunno what it was like back then, but farming chitin and keratin isn't hard if you know what creatures to go for, at least not now.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Y'all really got me wanting to play Ark again, but I really don't feel like having to install another hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
How much HDD space do you guys have since it sounds like you all use some puny HDD's. That's not to say ARK isn't huge, but still.