Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I built all of the roads and the northern/mountain roads were definitely less useful. There are a couple of spots where they let you skip around BT zones. The marshes in particular, I don't understand why the road meanders so much and has so many pavers required when I very easily drove a truck straight through the marshes to the mountains. It's the least necessary section of road. I still built it because I wanted a complete road system for the hell of it but you can easily get away with building up to the marsh and after the marsh and just slapping some charging stations down in the marsh instead of rebuilding the like 5 autopaver sections in there. IIRC there's no trophy for finishing the road system 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There’s no trophy for doing it but it definitely helps to have a complete road net if you’re going for the platinum.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I never built it so how does that road work in practice that goes through terrorist territory to get to Distribution Center North of Mountain Knot City? Never had a problem driving vehicles on roads through MULE camps but the terrorists are more hardcore and because of the trees it doesn't seem like there's much room for the road to rise above the ground for some protection.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

It just cuts through the middle of the map, it doesn't elevate or go around the Mule territory. It paths around the BT area to the southwest near the photographer and bridges several small streams. It's not hugely useful. The bridges nearer to Mountain Knot City are more useful if you need to get a truck from MKC to the Dist Center but they create an elevated curvy road that is really easy to drive off of if you're not careful especially on a bike.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Midjack posted:

There’s no trophy for doing it but it definitely helps to have a complete road net if you’re going for the platinum.

Absolutely! I can't imagine trying to get a truck from South Knot to Mountain Knot without the road and having it survive the journey, and those big timed trips were the only way I got enough points to level up my Time stat.

Lobok posted:

I never built it so how does that road work in practice that goes through terrorist territory to get to Distribution Center North of Mountain Knot City? Never had a problem driving vehicles on roads through MULE camps but the terrorists are more hardcore and because of the trees it doesn't seem like there's much room for the road to rise above the ground for some protection.

You're talking about the camp right next to the Waypoint North of Mountain Knot City, right, in the trees, not the one down in the marsh? Like Jolo said, the one in the marsh just has the road go up in the air so you're safe from that camp until you're past their territory.

The camp in the pine trees is different and it took me a bit to find the autopavers that build past it. The road goes up past the incinerator and then cuts west in the area north of the terrorist camp/pass. There's a path you can drive a truck up to the north of the incinerator that leads to the autopaver that makes the turn, and then it makes a bridge over some rough terrain on the side of the mountains north of the camp and slopes down into the marsh well past the edge of the terrorist area.

I thought that was some slick environmental design. When I first made my way to that area I saw the pass and drove right into a hail of gunfire. Somehow I made it in a non-defensive truck through those woods (I tried to drive through the trees and have no idea how I didn't get stuck) and then avoided that area as much as possible unless I was hunting terrorists. But there's nothing except rougher terrain stopping you from just going around the terrorists, so if you wanted to you could completely avoid that entire pass.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Absolutely! I can't imagine trying to get a truck from South Knot to Mountain Knot without the road and having it survive the journey, and those big timed trips were the only way I got enough points to level up my Time stat.

You're talking about the camp right next to the Waypoint North of Mountain Knot City, right, in the trees, not the one down in the marsh? Like Jolo said, the one in the marsh just has the road go up in the air so you're safe from that camp until you're past their territory.

The camp in the pine trees is different and it took me a bit to find the autopavers that build past it. The road goes up past the incinerator and then cuts west in the area north of the terrorist camp/pass. There's a path you can drive a truck up to the north of the incinerator that leads to the autopaver that makes the turn, and then it makes a bridge over some rough terrain on the side of the mountains north of the camp and slopes down into the marsh well past the edge of the terrorist area.

I thought that was some slick environmental design. When I first made my way to that area I saw the pass and drove right into a hail of gunfire. Somehow I made it in a non-defensive truck through those woods (I tried to drive through the trees and have no idea how I didn't get stuck) and then avoided that area as much as possible unless I was hunting terrorists. But there's nothing except rougher terrain stopping you from just going around the terrorists, so if you wanted to you could completely avoid that entire pass.

I meant the northern stretch of road, yeah. Wouldn't have guessed that would be the route. Looks like it only goes through a sliver of the terrorist camp. Ending up finding an image of it, though weirdly a complete road map is not the easiest thing to find.

The one through the marsh I didn't need or want. I really didn't bother with roads in the mountain region other than the sections immediately outside the distro centres, which were convenient and an easy source of lots of Likes. For getting around I used zip lines. But I also didn't care about five-starring everybody or going for the platinum.

Also, I just learned that when the game first came out you couldn't dismantle vehicles and the only reason it was added was because players were griefing others by leaving vehicles as blockages in front of entrances and narrow paths, lol

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 23, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Cosplayer’s doorstep is especially easy to plug with a couple of trucks.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Lobok posted:

I discovered today that that camp has a ton of ceramics, including both postboxes. The terrorists there are a bit of a pain, but manageable. The ones on the marsh are easier to deal with as you can just squish them with your truck.

It took me a while to clear it all though. Their stun bombs killed the battery on my truck, and mule trucks can’t carry much and have poor batteries, so I had to take the mule truck back to the distro centre and dump it, then go back with a decent one. Apologies to whoever owned the first truck I wrecked.

Stoatbringer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 23, 2020

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jesus I haven't played since November and still remember every part of that map so clearly

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Think of all your fellow porters playing who could benefit from the full road system

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Can't wait to see what everyone was talking about as the PC release is just 3 weeks away.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah, I basically stopped buidling roads after I went to the mountains. The last road I built was for Mountain Knot City, but it wasn't useful And I started to play for the story.

Well, it has been nice posting with you.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

screaden posted:

Think of all your fellow porters playing who could benefit from the full road system

I built a ton of roads and got all kinds of popups about other people using my roads. Throughout the game prior to building those roads, I think I found maybe 1 section of road that someone else had built. I found a lot of sections that people had provided resources to but none that were finished which makes me wonder if the game is allowing the roads to get close to complete but saving the satisfaction of putting in the final resources for each player. Have any of you just come on a long section of road that was completed that you didn't complete yourself?

Honestly, it only take a little bit of time to complete most of the roads if the resources are available at your cities and you have a truck to bring them to each point.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jolo posted:

I built a ton of roads and got all kinds of popups about other people using my roads. Throughout the game prior to building those roads, I think I found maybe 1 section of road that someone else had built. I found a lot of sections that people had provided resources to but none that were finished which makes me wonder if the game is allowing the roads to get close to complete but saving the satisfaction of putting in the final resources for each player. Have any of you just come on a long section of road that was completed that you didn't complete yourself?

I had a couple of segments that were completed by others but most of the road was 1/2 to 2/3 completed by others and I had to finish them off.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Roadbuilders Unite!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Stoatbringer posted:

Roadbuilders Unite!

It feels very satisfying to get things established. I didn't expect to like this game at all and ended up playing 120 hours of it. The game can be fulfilling in a way that very few others match.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

I finally finished all the roads. The last few in the marsh near Mountain Knot needed an insane amount of resources.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Jolo posted:

Honestly, it only take a little bit of time to complete most of the roads if the resources are available at your cities and you have a truck to bring them to each point.

I wish there was a more streamlined way of viewing what resources you needed to make it easier to pick the right amounts from the distro centres. I ended up having a little notepad and then figuring out the correct combination of packs to withdraw to maximise resources.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

screaden posted:

I wish there was a more streamlined way of viewing what resources you needed to make it easier to pick the right amounts from the distro centres. I ended up having a little notepad and then figuring out the correct combination of packs to withdraw to maximise resources.

I think you can look at the paver on the map and see what it needs, but I did the same thing with a piece of paper. :v:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Also the truck doesn't really care about the number of items so much as the weight, so pulling in all the packs as the minimum size for that resource helps you waste as little as possible.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

I noticed that there's a little meter on the back of the truck, indicating how full it is, which is a nice little touch. It goes red when you're near the limit.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Stoatbringer posted:

I noticed that there's a little meter on the back of the truck, indicating how full it is, which is a nice little touch. It goes red when you're near the limit.

Ffffffffff-uck me. Never noticed that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Stoatbringer posted:

The meter shows both size and weight limits.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zongerian posted:

The blood cloud and bullets combo makes killing bts almost as easy as just running away from them

yeah i think its weird every time i see that the weapons suck. throw a blood grenade at a BT, use lethal ammo on them where you hit them with the grenade. it trivializes them.

also the hand to hand combat is surprisingly fun when you put a little effort into learning the moves. the slowdown when you knock someone out and can grab their cargo from the air to slow motion wreck some other idiot with is very satisfying. the game never really forces you to learn any of that and i would wager most people don't because they give you the bolas way too early imo. also if you forget you have some climbing claws and power fists on you absolutely obliterate those dudes when you punch them. you heck up all your gear though, really not worth it. i am unsure if that combo can actually lethal people or not though.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Well, I got to episode 13, Exposition Beach, got through to the rolling credits then had to quit because it was getting late. And you can't save during it, so now I've got to sit through the whole loving thing again. Who thought a 40-minute unskippable, unsaveable cutscene was a good idea? You can't even speed up the dialog.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'll walk up a small hill for 10 hours, but drat it Kojima, I ain't watching a cutscene or reading your dialog!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Stoatbringer posted:

Well, I got to episode 13, Exposition Beach, got through to the rolling credits then had to quit because it was getting late. And you can't save during it, so now I've got to sit through the whole loving thing again. Who thought a 40-minute unskippable, unsaveable cutscene was a good idea? You can't even speed up the dialog.

Same thing happened to me. I ended up skipping the cutscene, pausing the game, then finding a youtube with all of the cutscenes on youtube and watching up to the point that I was at after skipping the cutscene. It's not great. I don't know if you can skip through the bits where you have to sit through several minutes of credits to get to another couple of minutes of dialogue.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I didn't mind the dialogue..seemed several times better than most of the other RPG poo poo I play and got mad at. I played the Ys game pre-patch. Probably some sort of warning about the length and option to start again in the middle should be in that cutscene though, I guess pause and rest mode is also a thing.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I was playing late at night when I hit the end cutscene gauntlet and I figured that after the previous long cutscene that there would be some kind of save. I think a few of those cutscenes are really long without a break where the game saves. It'd be alright if you could pause > skip scene to the point you're at but what's more likely to happen is you'll pause > skip scene and be way past where you left off.

It's a minor problem that only really comes up right there at the end, but having to sit through a 20-30 minutes that you've already seen is pretty goofy.

I think the credits back and forth with dialogue is awful though. I suppose it's meant to be impactful but for me I was messing around on my phone in between new dialogue and I'd bet that a lot of people were. Not a great way to remain invested in the climax of the story. I have a lot of issues with the end of the game though. I think it's good but that it could've been paced out better than having it all revealed at the end there. It's pretty wild to go back and watch the release day trailer after finishing the game and seeing so much footage from the very very very end of the game there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can just hold circle to sit back down if you don't feel like waiting out the running around between dialogue scenes.

That whole scene definitely felt like it tipped over the edge of self indulgence to me but it was very effective as a way to make the player understand that being stranded on the Beach for the rest of eternity is no way to live.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 9, 2020

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Stoatbringer posted:

why didnt you just put the game into rest mode

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

rabidsquid posted:

why didnt you just put the game into rest mode

Seriously I don't think I've turned off a game on my consoles unless it was specifically to switch to a different game on said console.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

In chapter 9, just after the you go through the metroids for the first time, the rain stopped. Then after going a little further, the gold BTs came out of the ground and I noticed it was still not raining. I thought that was weird.

On second thought, I'm most likely mistaken. I realized there's a timefall shelter nearby I must have passed under it and thought the rain stopped.

CaptainSkinny fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 10, 2020

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Really excited to play this on PC. I've held off on preordering, though, and it may pay off. NVIDIA is going to bundle Death Stranding with new RTX card purchases, and it looks like the codes will be for Steam, so hopefully there will be an influx of them on SA-Mart and elsewhere.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Man, this thread's kinda dead.

Anyway, for anyone who isn't patient enough to wait for the graphics card codes, Greenmangaming has it for 22% off. They sent out the codes a few hours ago.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There are people playing it but as often happens sometimes the discussion stays in the PS4 chat thread instead of the dedicated thread.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

There are people playing it but as often happens sometimes the discussion stays in the PS4 chat thread instead of the dedicated thread.

Yes, useful stuff like this:

rabidsquid posted:

there actually is a way to travel through BT territory without them getting alerted but you need to be on foot and it's kind of a later game thing. the gas mask let's you walk through BT territory as if you were holding your breath the whole time. it actually might be quieter than holding your breath. i don't know if the game ever tells you this anywhere

Never knew, never even tried it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

Yes, useful stuff like this:

Never knew, never even tried it.

poo poo. I knew that stupid thing had to have more use than what you get from the story.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
10 HOURS TILL THE PC RELEASE. I'M SALIVATING

I am ready to embark once again on Hideo Kojima's wild ride.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I got this for PC, but never finished on PS4. I'm hoping maybe there will be a few mods that will help with QOL, but really got it because I now have a pretty good computer and want to see how much better it looks.