Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Ok so ran some tests this morning and I think it's just a weird thing that this cooler keeps the idle temp at around 45-50C.

Put it through 3D Mark and Heaven and the fan curve kicked in and never let it go above 65 even on the extreme CPU benchmark.

Edit. Ok so further update

Dropped the core voltage down a bit and now seeing around 40C idle temps.

There seems to be a slight issue with Ryzen 3900s staying at 1.4V all the time, and not decreasing when not in use. Have pretty drastically dropped it to 1.05V and that's now at 38C idle.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What power plan are you using? Sorry if you answered that before.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

orcane posted:

What power plan are you using? Sorry if you answered that before.

Just downloaded the Amd balanced one

It was using some weird Samsung SSD one before.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

CyberPingu posted:

Just downloaded the Amd balanced one

Did you try 1usmus power plan?

This stopped some wierd things on my 3700x when I first got it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Puddin posted:

Not yet but will give it a bash today. Cheers.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Puddin posted:

What one were you using, the "Ryzen Power Plan" or the "Ryzen Universal"

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

CyberPingu posted:

What one were you using, the "Ryzen Power Plan" or the "Ryzen Universal"

I was using Ryzen Universal and getting some off spikes, but the 1usmus one settled it down.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

That seems to settle it a bit yeah, even when turning off the Voltage decrease

Going to leave the V decrease on for now as im not noticing a performance hit so may as well take advantage of the cooler temps

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
There's also this power plan you can try, might be better than 1usmus:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...ntent=post_body

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CyberPingu posted:

welp yeah that was your problem there, the dumb samsung power plan sets minimum processor state to 100%

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Klyith posted:

welp yeah that was your problem there, the dumb samsung power plan sets minimum processor state to 100%

:stare: of course it does.

Once my 2nd .m2 comes im dumping samsung drives for good.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

CyberPingu posted:

:stare: of course it does.

Once my 2nd .m2 comes im dumping samsung drives for good.

Just don't use their dumbass software - the drives are still good

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Speaking of power plans, they're basically Windows specific, right?

Is there any sort of Linux equivalent that works with Ryzen?
AFAIK there's a "scaling_governor" setting or something, that I tried messing with before, but it didn't seem to do anything :confused:
Do the CPUs by any chance just behave better by default on Linux?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

peepsalot posted:

Speaking of power plans, they're basically Windows specific, right?

Is there any sort of Linux equivalent that works with Ryzen?

I've used Linux since the early 1990s, so I've dealt with many of the issues that Linux has had over the years. But Linux doesn't have any of these issues. CPUs run full throttle when there is load, and idle at low power/low temp when there is not load.

But I'm pretty sure that Windows used to do the same thing? My understanding is that all of this userspace power management stuff has evolved because a subset of power users has become obsessed with exactly how fast a CPU ramps between power states, 99th percentile framerates, "microstutter", etc., etc. If those are things you care about, I recommend staying very far away from Linux.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Munkeymon posted:

Im trying to cut down on excess cables, i still have 2 ssds mounted in the back of my rig but want to migrate them over to an m2 for ease of cable congestion.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Klyith posted:

why?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
these things are not an issue in linux, because linux scheduling isn't a loving garbage fire.
very early on the very few cpus that actually supported cpufreq just ran at constant 100% unless you installed cpufreq separately, but that poo poo's all in the kernel now where it belongs.

you can still select a power plan from a list of plans the cpu itself presents to the OS or even set a specific frequency if you're completely insane :v:, but there's zero need to do this due to the above reasons.

pcie ssd benchmarks lmao

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Munkeymon posted:

The last time I looked the samsung power plan only gets applies if you click a button to optimize system performance or something like that. Everything else about the software is fine (though also strictly inferior to 3rd-party drive info software like crystaldisk that works on all drives).

So the lesson is don't say yes to anything that claims to 'optimize' your system, especially if the product or software is in any way for gamers.

Because a benchmark goes up by 0.5% and the idiot gamer thinks "wow this samsung ssd was really worth it!"

Meanwhile their CPU is consuming 100 watts 24/7 completely to waste.

CyberPingu posted:

Im trying to cut down on excess cables, i still have 2 ssds mounted in the back of my rig but want to migrate them over to an m2 for ease of cable congestion.

to quote statutory ape, why?

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 23, 2020

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Does Windows not have decent generic/multivendor storage drivers? I'm honestly curious because I've been in the Unix world so long, and over here you only need a vendor's driver if you have a fairly esoteric piece of hardware. Single NVMe drives just plain work.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Klyith posted:

to quote statutory ape, why?

Why what? Why am I trying to cut down on cables?

Who knows. I like spending money on trivial stuff but also this SSD is running low on space so I figured instead of buying another SSD and adding that to the mix I'd just buy a m2 and get rid of some cables.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Truga posted:

pcie ssd benchmarks lmao

wow jfc

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

mdxi posted:

Does Windows not have decent generic/multivendor storage drivers? I'm honestly curious because I've been in the Unix world so long, and over here you only need a vendor's driver if you have a fairly esoteric piece of hardware. Single NVMe drives just plain work.

Oh I had to install their software when I got the drive years ago to format it correctly. Don't know why but apparently on their newer drives you don't need to.

I just never got round to removing the lovely software.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
what's wrong with trying to get rid of cables? if your storage needs can be met by one or two M.2 drives (large ones, if needed) then it's a really nice and convenient solution.

tbh I wish the HighPoint cards that have a PCIe switch to put four drives on a single card without bifurcation weren't so expensive, the SSDs themselves aren't that bad anymore vs SATA SSDs, it'd be great to get 4TB or 8TB of SSD with no cables.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

what's wrong with trying to get rid of cables? if your storage needs can be met by one or two M.2 drives (large ones, if needed) then it's a really nice and convenient solution.

Yeah I'm trying to work out what the issue is with my reasoning too tbh...

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I never want to have another cabled storage device again. I never wanted one in the first place, but drive backplanes only showed up in really expensive hardware in ye olden days.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah I have two 500GB m2 drives, one for Windows and one for Linux, and then I recently added a 1TB SATA ssd for media storage as I’m starting to get into making tutorial videos. But until then I didn’t need a wired drive.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

The last time I looked the samsung power plan only gets applies if you click a button to optimize system performance or something like that.

The power plan stuff was removed completely when they last redesigned the software

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah I'm trying to work out what the issue is with my reasoning too tbh...

If you need more storage and want to move to m.2, that's fine. It originally sounded like you had a solution that was working completely fine but you wanted to buy new poo poo for aesthetics, which ok I guess but it is kind of weird to care so much about cables that you get rid of working stuff for no other reason.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The less cables in a computer the better.
This includes RGB bullshit as well.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

ratbert90 posted:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
meanwhile, i'm at the point where i'm ordering <small local shop brand> gaming pcs with rgb strips for developer workstations because they're the best price performance short of building myself lmao. and all it takes is unplugging a single wire to "fix" them

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Counterpoint. RGB is cool and if you look at the acronym it means:

Rapidly
Goes
Better.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cables kind of suck but just throwing in a SATA SSD and just letting it dangle inside the case is way easier than trying to screw in an M.2 drive in a slot that's wedged between the video card and CPU heatsink

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

WhyteRyce posted:

Cables kind of suck but just throwing in a SATA SSD and just letting it dangle inside the case is way easier than trying to screw in an M.2 drive in a slot that's wedged between the video card and CPU heatsink

The m2 slots on my mobo were actually really well placed.

Though being the absolute cretin that I am I installed the drive in the slot not covered by the GPU so I'm going to have to take it out anyway to put the 2nd one in

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
re cables, what they should do is add a tiny power line to the sata spec so that SSDs -- which only use a couple watts -- don't need to have power cables connected as well. The sata power connectors are the most annoying part of the cable deal, especially on PSUs that have the awful in-line style connectors.

CyberPingu posted:

The m2 slots on my mobo were actually really well placed.

Though being the absolute cretin that I am I installed the drive in the slot not covered by the GPU so I'm going to have to take it out anyway to put the 2nd one in

On ryzen mobos the top m.2 slot is normally the one connected directly to the CPU, so ideally that's where you put your system / fastest nvme drive.

(Not that it makes any real difference in IRL results, but if you want to optimize for performance why not. edit: Plus if you've got a x570 mobo, having the less heavily used drives connected through the chipset should theoretically mean the chipset fan doesn't turn on as often.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

(Not that it makes any real difference in IRL results, but if you want to optimize for performance why not. edit: Plus if you've got a x570 mobo, having the less heavily used drives connected through the chipset should theoretically mean the chipset fan doesn't turn on as often.)

Your post prompted me to check, and I just found the chipset fan running on my x570 for the first time ever. It's pretty warm here today and I haven't got the AC hooked up yet, so the ambient temperature is probably around 80 degrees, so that's probably why.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
The only acceptable storage cables are OCulink and asrock needs to ship the drat X570D4I-2T.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

krysmopompas posted:

The only acceptable storage cables are OCulink and asrock needs to ship the drat X570D4I-2T.

I kinda hate oculink, the drat retention can be very fiddly. It’s probably dying out anyway, mcio (mini cooledge) is the new hotness.

Also I hate m.2 on anything other than a laptop.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

priznat posted:

Also I hate m.2 on anything other than a laptop.

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The form factor is the worst! Give me aic or u.2 anyday.