Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I've made an exception for series in my otherwise alphabetical organization solely because of the Sabata movies. It's a lot easier to put Sabata, Adios Sabata and Return of Sabata under S than to cycle around the rest of my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Basebf555 posted:

Yea this killed me and made it impossible to organize by genre. The one exception is horror, because I was able to come up with a very simple standard, "Is this movie something I would want to watch in October?" If yes, it goes on the horror shelf.

I also have a hard time sorting by director because doing that fucks with too many series. Like I own every Alien movie, so do I really want the three Ridley Scott films on a separate Ridley Scott shelf and then the others on their own on a different shelf? No of course not, that would be madness. Same for Jurassic Park, Terminator, Halloween, and a bunch of others.

Director sorting also sucks because box sets exist. There’s no way I’d rebuy all the Alien movies just to keep Ridley Scott and James Cameron on separate shelves.

Speaking of box sets, I’m still not the biggest fan. Having each title in its own case looks better and doesn’t get screwed up when you have to add another title to a franchise. On the other hand, they’re often cheaper, space efficient and sometimes it’s the only way to get certain movies so I stopped caring as much. Still hate that I have 4 Jurassic Parks in a nice set and then the fifth is on its own, but if it means The Lost World I’ll make that sacrifice.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For the people who (correctly) put things in alphabetical order, do you include "The" if it's the first word of the movie?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

GrandpaPants posted:

For the people who (correctly) put things in alphabetical order, do you include "The" if it's the first word of the movie?

No way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GrandpaPants posted:

Hell no, The Matrix is in the M section

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
definitely ignore “the” and also “a” or “an”

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Can’t imagine organizing my movies or books. They’re just on shelves based on where they fit

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I organize by label, because having all the Criterion spines lined up nicely is more important than anything else

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

GrandpaPants posted:

The only movie in my collection sorted with "The" is The good, the bad and the ugly.

I don't know why that ended up being an exception, i should probably fix it.

(Same for the physical copies for each of these of course, just showing digital for convenience)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GrandpaPants posted:

I was amused that Plex put LA 92 at the top of my list because it thought it was French, and thus "92, The".

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Sniep posted:

The only movie in my collection sorted with "The" is The good, the bad and the ugly.

(Same for the physical copies for each of these of course, just showing digital for convenience)

So T3 isn't canon then? Not that it matters too much

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 22, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like to pretend that they stopped after 2 Terminator movies

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

If anyone wants the Lawrence of Arabia code here it is to the first lucky viewer apparently so far as Movies Anywhere/iTunes is concerned it’s the same version that was released in 4k a while ago

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Delzuma posted:

If anyone wants the Lawrence of Arabia code here it is to the first lucky viewer apparently so far as Movies Anywhere/iTunes is concerned it’s the same version that was released in 4k a while ago

drat, must have just missed it!

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

drat, must have just missed it!

Crap. Woulda been nice for whoever got it to let us know.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sniep posted:

Yeah it should be under F because it's the third in the Fistful of Dollars trilogy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah it should be under F because it's the third in the Fistful of Dollars trilogy.

I have them under M for Man With No Name trilogy

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Put them under C for Cowboy

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Every movie whose cover says Walt Disney Presents goes under W

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
How’s Vinegar Syndrome on returns/errors? My order arrived but they left something out and gave me a totally different thing instead.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Delzuma posted:

Crap. Woulda been nice for whoever got it to let us know.

That's been a running theme in this thread for several months, people snag poo poo and don't post in the thread.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How’s Vinegar Syndrome on returns/errors? My order arrived but they left something out and gave me a totally different thing instead.

One time I ordered something and one of the cases came cracked and they just mailed me a replacement for free, so I’d say they are pretty great for customer service. They might still be sending orders (just got mine today) so it might take some time.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
To avoid it, if you want to post a digital code, post for people to dm you. First dm gets the code, then edit the post to show that someone claimed it.

Or just hold a contest or something

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They once sent me the same order twice but only charged me for the first one. I assume, as a small company reliant on engaged customers, they'll be responsive.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Island Nation posted:

So T3 isn't canon then? Not that it matters too much

Whatcha mean? I guess the latter ones after the first don't have "The" in the title but it keeps them lined up right in order file-wise, i never care too too much about the filenames as much as the sort order.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally got my very last Twilight Time order from May 11th. Also found the Shout! edition of Road House for $10 at Walmart.

While they've been out, just wanted to say how perfect the GKIDS/Shout editions of Ghibli movies are. Tempted to replace the Disney discs since it's nice to have it go directly to the main menu like Criterion discs.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sniep posted:

Whatcha mean? I guess the latter ones after the first don't have "The" in the title but it keeps them lined up right in order file-wise, i never care too too much about the filenames as much as the sort order.

It’s because you’re missing a whole Terminator movie

Just funny, is all. Like you simply don’t recognize Rise of the Machines as a movie, which is perfectly fair because man that movie ages like a dead skunk

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

The Cameo posted:

It’s because you’re missing a whole Terminator movie

Just funny, is all. Like you simply don’t recognize Rise of the Machines as a movie, which is perfectly fair because man that movie ages like a dead skunk

oh oh yeah i'm missing a couple of them, I misread your statement got it now.

I'll eventually fill them in i got a few gaps going up and down some series but i usually wait to find fills from the discount bin for poo poo i dont care about so much yeah lol

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I ordered a copy of the Ocean’s Trilogy from the UK (I have Ocean’s 8 already) and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived today that it’s three discs in a standard width case with a nice slip cover. I was expecting three amaray cases in a flimsy box, which is what the boxset is in Australia. That would have taken up more shelf room.

I do love a good slim multi-movie set.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
If anyones been considering the Imprint titles, I don't think I can really recommend them. Just finished up the third of four I picked up, I Married a Monster from Outer Space and the transfer is pretty average, as was Sorry, Wrong Number. The Duellists looked good, but I don't know how much of that was my unfamiliarity with the source and its blatant aping of the soft focus Barry Lyndon aesthetic.

While it's great to have more niche catalog titles on blu, given that they're mostly barebones they're really hard to recommend at the RRP.

The only one I haven't picked up so far is the '53 War of the Worlds which apparently has an outstanding transfer, but it seems to be shared with the Criterion edition.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

While they've been out, just wanted to say how perfect the GKIDS/Shout editions of Ghibli movies are. Tempted to replace the Disney discs since it's nice to have it go directly to the main menu like Criterion discs.

Also, the Disney discs feature dubtitles on a few of the movies. I know Princess Mononoke has accurate subtitles on the GKids version. I don't know about Kiki's Delivery Service if they fixed the subtitles, but why would you watch it in Japanese when the English has Phil Hartman?

Why?

So yeah, there's a few reasons to replace them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cloks posted:

They once sent me the same order twice but only charged me for the first one. I assume, as a small company reliant on engaged customers, they'll be responsive.

Partially it's because legally in the US, they can't charge you for something you didn't order. They sent me a second copy of Horror House on Highway 5, and they told me to just give it to a friend.

The very first time I ordered from Vinegar Syndrome, my order got "lost." It was before they processed credit cards, so the check got cashed, but the order never went out. I contacted them, they responded within an hour, and had it shipped out by the end of the day with a few extras.

Right now it seems like they're still processing orders from the sale, so it could take a little longer.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Absolutely not.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Oooof, glad I immediately ordered that Arrow Django US/CA release because it looks like Blue Underground are loving with its release again.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

this friday the 13th, 8 disc case sucks. I either need to buy a new 8 disc case or greatly consider buying some fresh ink carts, high quality paper and 8 individual cases and print out my own slips. shelf space is getting dire tho.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

If anyones been considering the Imprint titles, I don't think I can really recommend them. Just finished up the third of four I picked up, I Married a Monster from Outer Space and the transfer is pretty average, as was Sorry, Wrong Number. The Duellists looked good, but I don't know how much of that was my unfamiliarity with the source and its blatant aping of the soft focus Barry Lyndon aesthetic.

While it's great to have more niche catalog titles on blu, given that they're mostly barebones they're really hard to recommend at the RRP.

The only one I haven't picked up so far is the '53 War of the Worlds which apparently has an outstanding transfer, but it seems to be shared with the Criterion edition.

I'm pretty sure Duellists came out a decade before Barry Lyndon

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I Before E posted:

I'm pretty sure Duellists came out a decade before Barry Lyndon

Ridley Scott has been making movies for a loooong time. How many directors who were active in the 70's are still active today? Spielberg, Scorsese, George Miller(just barely), and....?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Lloyd Kaufman

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Depends on the definition of active I guess. Like, Cronenberg is probably considered an active director but he hasn't done anything in like 6 years. John Carpenter I think most people would say is inactive, he's been dormant for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lynch is still active in the best way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5lDwDYFmSs