Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rjmccall posted:

many large companies flail around at the "oh we should try doing what Other Company is doing, maybe there's money in it" game and it rarely ends well

but it's always funnier with microsoft

because ever since ballmer laughed at the iphone they've been perpetually late to the party, and when they do show up they only bring half a sixer of the shittiest beer possible and proceed to throw up on someone's shoes

they cratered mixer faster than google goes through chat protocols

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

what you refer to as a hip hop operating system is actually a GNU/hip hop operating system

GNU ft. Linux

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

VikingofRock posted:

GNU feet Linux

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Microsoft is closing Mixer and selling it off to Facebook. They threw tens of millions of dollars at Ninja/Shroud and some other streamers less than a year ago. lol

it is an actual question though who is stupider when it comes to that kind of acquisition (in the non-Ballmer era), quite possibly Facebook cut an actually significant check for it.

why anyone would want to mix up watching gaming streams with their facebook presence i don't know though. far more likely that youtube ends up a real force in that area if google ever gets more focused.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

why anyone would want to mix up watching gaming streams with their facebook presence i don't know though. far more likely that youtube ends up a real force in that area if google ever gets more focused.
Uh, isn't it already?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
youtube doesn't really have a gaming specific thing, they just do live streams w/ chat.

twitch is so entrenched and idk what you'd do to compete w/ them. there are overlapping communities on twitch that you'd basically have to lift all at once which is almost impossible. the only thing that might work is if you started doing a bunch of smaller sponsored tournaments, each for different games to draw in multiple communities.

all these mixer people will go to twitch or quit. nobody is going to facebook.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

youtube bought the rights to overwatch league so it inherited a lot of viewers from when OWL was on twitch

the video quality is incredibly inconsistent and usually pretty bad

twitch, for all its faults, is going to remain light years ahead of youtube for watching streamers

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also - Zune, Silverlight, HD-DVD and other consumer facing devices were supported for Windows and (to some extent besides HD-DVD) on MacOS. But no Linux support.

I'm pretty happy that I can purchase most modern devices and Linux support is not an issue. Except for some web apps that still require flash.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

starbucks hermit posted:

youtube bought the rights to overwatch league so it inherited a lot of viewers from when OWL was on twitch

twitch, for all its faults, is going to remain light years ahead of youtube for watching streamers

OWL has been averaging less than 1/5 of its twitch viewer count though

all the other activision-blizzard esports went to youtube as well, i think the COD league might be doing slightly better but hearthstone is in even worse shape than OWL

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

starbucks hermit posted:

lol i had no idea this was a thing. ive litterrally never seen overwatch anything recommended on youtube. i dont like overwatch, but i watch GSL and other video games youtubers that i would think make me the target demo.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shaggar posted:

lol i had no idea this was a thing. ive litterrally never seen overwatch anything recommended on youtube. i dont like overwatch, but i watch GSL and other video games youtubers that i would think make me the target demo.

frankly, it's a good idea for youtube to sign big names so that they get the audience needed to figure out how to scale their tech and bring about tools that streamers need to support their channel.

It's an expensive bet, tho, since

hobbesmaster posted:

OWL has been averaging less than 1/5 of its twitch viewer count though

all the other activision-blizzard esports went to youtube as well, i think the COD league might be doing slightly better but hearthstone is in even worse shape than OWL

I stopped watching OWL after last season and the production quality apparently went to crap because of the pandemic.

Don't forget... lowtax streams on youtube for whatever reason.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

starbucks hermit posted:

frankly, it's a good idea for youtube to sign big names so that they get the audience needed to figure out how to scale their tech and bring about tools that streamers need to support their channel.

It's an expensive bet, tho, since

I stopped watching OWL after last season and the production quality apparently went to crap because of the pandemic.

Don't forget... lowtax streams on youtube for whatever reason.

they fired like 3/4 of the broadcast talent before the pandemic started, production values were always going to go to poo poo for the youtube season

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

anyways, twitch is well supported on Linux

stuff mostly works on crossplatform chromium and firefox

the only exception is flash support (which should be a non issue anyway) and stuff like in-browser Zoom

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

The_Franz posted:

they cratered mixer faster than google goes through chat protocols

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

starbucks hermit posted:

Also - Zune, Silverlight, HD-DVD and other consumer facing devices were supported for Windows and (to some extent besides HD-DVD) on MacOS. But no Linux support.

not like there was iPod or Blu-Ray support for Linux either lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PCjr sidecar posted:

you could, at the time, use various apps to get ipod support

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

starbucks hermit posted:

you could, at the time, use various apps to get ipod support

lol if that's your standard you could get hddvd or zune 'support', too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

ipods just presented a block device to the host OS, so they worked on linux long before a windows-compatible ipod was available. linux could happily interoperate with the mac filesystem, windows could not.

bluray had linux support from day one but you had to buy a proprietary software package to decrypt discs that used bluray's lovely drm

it felt like the early days of dvd

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol if that's your standard you could get hddvd or zune 'support', too

No, you could not, because MTPZ is required to talk to Zune devices. Linux didn't have MTPZ support at all until Zune was dead and gone. For iPods, however,

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ipods just presented a block device to the host OS, so they worked on linux long before a windows-compatible ipod was available. linux could happily interoperate with the mac filesystem, windows could not.

bluray had linux support from day one but you had to buy a proprietary software package to decrypt discs that used bluray's lovely drm

it felt like the early days of dvd

and you just had to update some metadata files and you're golden.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I still own a Zune, mind you, and I bought it during the tail end of its lifetime because they were dirt cheap and I wanted to see first hand how bad the interface was.

It was bad, but it had a nice spinny hard drive with lots of space for its time. It also played video.

ebay still sells batteries for the zune, and I expect that I'll have to fix mine if I want to use it again.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

starbucks hermit posted:

For iPods, however, [...] you just had to update some metadata files and you're golden.

i couldn't afford an ipod or firewire back then, and additionally my home/work situation was freebsd/solaris, but boy do i remember linux weenies lording it over me

it did kinda eat my rear end at the time

more my lack of firewire than my lack of ipod dollars

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

no wireless. less space than a nomad. lame

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i couldn't afford an ipod or firewire back then, and additionally my home/work situation was freebsd/solaris, but boy do i remember linux weenies lording it over me

it did kinda eat my rear end at the time

I didn't get my ipod until the 4th gen (~2004), and it was paid for with one of my first paychecks after landing a programming job after college. It helped that I lived with my parents at the time, trying to save for a down payment for a house. It was the sweet Macintosh font that sold me on it.

Thankfully, it had usb connectors along with firewire. I wouldn't have bothered if it was firewire only.

I think it used a fat32 disk that appeared as any other block device on a Linux system. I had the habit of storing all my music on it until the root directory got corrupted. Thankfully, FAT32's architecture still lets you find each file's disk blocks where the data is stored, but not necessarily the filename :smith:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my Sun Blade 150 has FireWire, and the switch to PCI was well before then so you could’ve just installed a card in your, what, Ultra 2?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

starbucks hermit posted:

I didn't get my ipod until the 4th gen (~2004), and it was paid for with one of my first paychecks after landing a programming job after college. It helped that I lived with my parents at the time, trying to save for a down payment for a house. It was the sweet Macintosh font that sold me on it.

Thankfully, it had usb connectors along with firewire. I wouldn't have bothered if it was firewire only.

I think it used a fat32 disk that appeared as any other block device on a Linux system. I had the habit of storing all my music on it until the root directory got corrupted. Thankfully, FAT32's architecture still lets you find each file's disk blocks where the data is stored, but not necessarily the filename :smith:

Any decent music manager will let you auto-rename MP3 files based on their idv3 tags. Assuming you haven't already switched to online streaming like most people who don't post in Linux threads.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i have fond memories of using amarok to manage music on a ipod nano as recently as 2016, maybe even 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

amarok was the only linux thing i ever liked

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

you could actually run linux on an ipod until the 5.5th gen (which I had and it was great) too

I'm not sure if it ever became a thing again

I remember running gameboy emulators and doom on it

fe: oh this is the MS thread; well I don't think you could do any of that on a zune

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you are mistaken, this is the linux thread

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

you are mistaken, this is the linux thread. lame

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

the M$ thread

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

amarok was the only linux thing i ever liked

good news! it doesnt run on current distros becaue it uses a too old version of qt, and the qt5 port is still half-working last i knew

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
zune had an fm tuner which kicked rear end

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bored Online posted:

zune had an fm tuner which kicked rear end

the inline remote fm tuner for the ipods was a pro add but having it built in is way nicer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Private Speech posted:

fe: oh this is the MS thread; well I don't think you could do any of that on a zune

there is no zune, only linux

microsoft adopting linux on the desktop killed the linux desktop thread in the 'pos, and i think that is the best possible sendoff to my posting career

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

all but 4 microsoft stores have been sent on an incredible journey to a nice farm upstate

quote:

As we look forward, we start a new chapter for Microsoft Store. Our team has proven success serving customers beyond any physical location. We are energized about the opportunity to innovate in how we engage with all customers, optimize our talent for greatest impact, and most importantly – help our valued customers achieve more.

As part of our business plan, we announced a strategic change in our retail operations, including closing Microsoft Store physical locations. Our retail team members will continue to serve customers working from Microsoft corporate facilities or remotely and we will continue to develop our diverse team in support of the overall company mission and objectives.
sadly this means the end of joyless mandatory dance routines with bonus shoplifting] and people falling over in the vr demo kiosk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

an end of an era lmao

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
where are people going to park their goony kid while they shop at the mall?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The Management posted:

where are people going to park their goony kid while they shop at the mall?

in my opinion, bring back the arcade franchise Time Out while we still have malls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
yeah rip https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/26/21297400/microsoft-retail-stores-closing-cities-open