Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nalin posted:

When you say "jumbobar" do you mean the URL bar growing larger when it is focused? You can only stop that with CSS hacks. This just prevents it from opening up its drop-down list when you click on it. It only opens the list when you start typing something.

Ahh, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

MikusR posted:

Refreshing Firefox helped me. about :support -> Refresh Firefox

That did the trick! Thank you. Any idea what caused it?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

thehoodie posted:

That did the trick! Thank you. Any idea what caused it?

Mozilla. As I understand from comments by a dev of Reddit Enhancement Suite, the update either causes or exposes a corruption in extension storage (or something like that).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

uBlock Origin has the same kind of cosmetic filters that Adblock Plus and so on also supports, all the way to when they were called filterset.g around 2005.
They basically let you block stuff based on the ID of the container or based on the nesting level that the container has.
The first option won't work for sites like twitter where they use randomly generated and periodically refreshed IDs to prevent people from blocking people, but by virtue of the design of the site itself, sections like "What's Happening" and "Global Trends" can still be blocked.
To do this, right-click on part of the element you want to zap, then click block element, and find a rule where the outline matches what you want to block and which ends in ":nth-of-type(N)" where N is an integer (it refers to the nesting level, iirc).

Unfortunately there's a new form of UX design where everything is loaded as javascript and rendered as a DOM object by javascript to html, through software like REACT, which lets sites even change the nesting level per-view if they want to make it really difficult. :(

Thanks.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'm on 77 and while I'm grudgingly okay with the address bar drop-down change, the list of suggestions seems to now only show one hit per domain. Does anyone know which setting in about:config can change that so that it shows multiple hits from the same domain, as it did previously? I had a few often-visited pages on the same sites that I always went to by clicking the arrow and finding them in the list, now half of those are gone.

edit: Aha, disabling "Top Sites" in Options -> Home -> Firefox Home Content did it, now it just uses the history again to determine what to show.

It's annoying that you can't easily click away the drop-down anymore.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 3, 2020

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Fabricated posted:

Mine just updated and it completely busted ublock, which is annoying.

Yeah, my firefox was hosed as well. Twitter would not just load at all. It would not send the request. This was in safe mode.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

D. Ebdrup posted:

Unfortunately there's a new form of UX design where everything is loaded as javascript and rendered as a DOM object by javascript to html, through software like REACT, which lets sites even change the nesting level per-view if they want to make it really difficult. :(

Usually there is some fragment there to differentiate parts of the page. Like on twitter I was able to hide trends and follow suggestions by using the selectors
code:
[data-testid="sidebarColumn"] section
[data-testid="sidebarColumn"] aside
When that fails, perhaps in the future it's possible to make a userscript that guesses what the dynamically generated css classes mean by frequency analysis :rolleyes:.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Okay and now if I reload Twitter normally, it shows this OOPSIE WOOPSIE!! Uwu We made a fucky wucky error:

Shift-reload works.

edit: allowing XHR globally in umatrix for twitter fixed this.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 3, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I know uBlock can also block based on the contents of objects. Requires some advanced syntax editing. I unfortunately never bothered porting it from my old computer. But I'm pretty sure you could use that to block the parts even if their name changes.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

MikusR posted:

I had to reset Firefox because extensions stopped working (uBlock Origin was only showing menu without buttons) and some websites (Twitter and Raddit) refused to load even in safe mode.

Interesting. I guess your issue was different from the more benign one I experienced.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, that's neat. My browser history is completely gone. I certainly didn't blank it intentionally, and I can't even see the sites I've been to earlier today. This is presumably why the arsebar hasn't been showing me suggestions for several days.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'm about to click the button but you guys are making me worried, here. :ohdear:

edit: Everything is fine!

astral fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 3, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Folks,
Simple Firefox Backup

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Bieeanshee posted:

Oh, that's neat. My browser history is completely gone. I certainly didn't blank it intentionally, and I can't even see the sites I've been to earlier today. This is presumably why the arsebar hasn't been showing me suggestions for several days.

Maybe you ended up on a new profile. Does about :profiles show any others?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Applebees posted:

Maybe you ended up on a new profile. Does about :profiles show any others?

It's the same profile I've been using, but you prompted me to check a spare profile I've used for testing. That one is working properly. Looks like I've got a refresh to do. :(

Edit: Deleting places.sqlite did it.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 4, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Sir, I am a Firefox user. I would like my backup to be complicated.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Today fedora updated FF for me to version 77. The dropdown arrow button is gone and there's no way (that i can tell, baring some lovely extension) to bring it back. There are solutions for the other issues, but this one apparently is dead. After a few hours of trying to use it and trying to adjust to not have that thing there I think I'm done. I'll see if I can live with the issues Vivaldi has (not few either), but for now FF is unusable. I suppose 20 years was a good enough run.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is there a simple way to display a link that got blocked by firefox social media tracking feature?
I know I can disable tracking for the whole website or globally, but what do I do if I just want to look at that one link.

example:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897251&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=643#post505465597

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

VictualSquid posted:

Is there a simple way to display a link that got blocked by firefox social media tracking feature?
I know I can disable tracking for the whole website or globally, but what do I do if I just want to look at that one link.

example:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897251&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=643#post505465597

That post has an embeded image not a link.

Here are some options: click quote on the post to see the URL, press F12 and find the blocked URL in the console, or disable embeded images in the SA options at https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=editoptions.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Applebees posted:

That post has an embeded image not a link.

Here are some options: click quote on the post to see the URL, press F12 and find the blocked URL in the console, or disable embeded images in the SA options at https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=editoptions.
Quoting posts to look for the direct link is what I am doing right now. It is not what I would call a simple option.
I also know that I can disable images for the whole of SA. But that is also an excessively wasteful option.

That is why I was asking for a simple solution. Some way to show those blocked images as links while also showing unblocked images as images.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you want finer-grained control, turn off Firefox's tracking protection for SA and manage it yourself with uBlock Origin in advanced mode or uMatrix or whatever.

This still might not linkify those images for you, though. Maybe a user script could do that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VictualSquid posted:

That is why I was asking for a simple solution. Some way to show those blocked images as links while also showing unblocked images as images.

It looks like FF leaves the img code there and just doesn't load the image. So a userscript that converted the pbs.twimg.com/media/ embed, and other stuff that tracking protection protection blocks would be do-able. Same as other types of scripts that convert links into embedded images, but in reverse.

So, like, if you feel like learning javascript in service of keeping strict tracking protection on that is totes possible.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Did the forums just revert to the early 2000s design, or has my Firefox upadate borked massively?

EDIT: Nope, opening Chrome and everything looks like old style. Must have been coincidence that it happened after I updated.

Even the quote boxes are web 1.0

EDIT: QCS tells me the CSS file was 404ing, but everything's fine now.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 8, 2020

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Pikestaff posted:

Anyway, back to twitterchat, I've found an addon that streamlines new twitter a bit and makes it less obnoxious to use overall, as much as it can. It also auto-sets you to latest tweets every time so you aren't constantly being forced into "top tweets". https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tweak-new-twitter/

Bieeanshee posted:

Holy poo poo, this is worse than useless on mine. My feed keeps bouncing up and down like it's jacking Jack off.

Late reply but I figured out that it does this because by default it shuffles all the retweets into a separate "tab", however you can go into options and set Retweets to "Ignore" and it prevents this and also stops the jiggly feed.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is there some way to make tweetdeck notify me of a new tweet in the browser tab?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The good part about Tweetdeck is that Twitter don't touch it. :colbert:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Nalin posted:

I ranted on reddit and somebody told me a solution:

I've confirmed that it does stop the URL bar pop-up from expanding if it receives focus. And you can leave the other options enabled so you can search your history by typing in the URL bar, which is what I sometimes do.

This solved the one problem for me, but I still have old search terms popping up in the URL bar when I start typing, which I know I've disabled in the past but can't figure out how to do now. Is that just a permanent "feature" after 78?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I'm trying to find out why firefox uses huge amounts of CPU. The about:performance tab shows that my tabs will just randomly start spiking up in CPU usage for long periods of time, regardless of if they are active tabs or not. Firefox commonly takes up 20% of my CPU but can spike up to 50% for 10-15 seconds at a time, causing lag/hitching in any games I happen to be playing at the time.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

In my experience, it's usually some combination of scripts somewhere. I use Google Docs a lot in multiple open windows and that'll do it. The biggest offender I've found was Dark Reader, an add-on that churned through all the colors on a web page and made them dark-friendly.

Maybe it's my years as a broke dude with an old computer, but when I want to play a game, I usually close stuff like Firefox.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 23, 2020

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Try running Firefox in safe mode without extensions (about:support -> Try Safe Mode). If it stops spiking your CPU then, go back to your regular profile, disable all your extensions, and re-enable them one at a time until the problem comes back.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Umbreon posted:

I'm trying to find out why firefox uses huge amounts of CPU. The about :performance tab shows that my tabs will just randomly start spiking up in CPU usage for long periods of time, regardless of if they are active tabs or not. Firefox commonly takes up 20% of my CPU but can spike up to 50% for 10-15 seconds at a time, causing lag/hitching in any games I happen to be playing at the time.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?
I've found that keeping tabs open will consume more cputime than if you leave an about :blank tab open.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Mostly I've found it's my hojillion open tabs, though closing Facebook and/or Twitter tends to offer a brief reprieve.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I'm just as guilty with a bajillion tabs myself, but the spikes and high usage start happening within minutes after a restart. Going to try safe mode at some point, but ironically I don't feel safe trying it because I don't like running around with no ad blocker or noscript

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Adblock and noscript can definitely cause things like that because they might kill thing A that was meant to report back to thing B, so thing B keeps spinning.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you've got an assload of tabs but they're saved from a previous session, they shouldn't have any performance because they stay unloaded until you focus on them.

Umbreon posted:

the spikes and high usage start happening within minutes after a restart. Going to try safe mode at some point, but ironically I don't feel safe trying it because I don't like running around with no ad blocker or noscript

Do you have many addons besides ublock and noscript? It almost sounds like you've got a cryptominer which can happen if you have an extension that goes rogue. Mozilla tries to prevent that poo poo, but they pay the most attention to things with many users and only have automated scans for the rest.

(Also FYI ublock can do the same script-blocking job as noscript but better, though it's way less intuitive to use when you start out.)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Don't use noscript, it's probably causing your issues. Use umatrix if you want more than what ublock origin has.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I used noscript for years and finally gave it up a few months ago.

Thanks to all the things you can do with uBlock, I don't even miss it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

uBlock origin (or uMatrix, if you wanna get freaky) really is the one-stop-shop for blocking everything from cosmetic stuff like parts of a website that annoy you, to scripts and/or images, even all the way down to blocking background and/or asynchronous javascript calls.
And more and more of it is getting implemented in webasm, which is possibly the only acceptable use of webasm.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Noted, I'll switch out noscript for umatrix(I'm already using ublock). Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
For me, what killed noscript was having to enter forms and get partway through and having the whole thing break because the site would take you to another page with scripts that wouldn't run. So I'd have to allow those scripts and reload the page which would cause all the info I'd just entered to vanish.

Yes, I could have turned off noscript before visiting the sites, but who remembers to do that?