Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thanks everyone. This makes me a lot less anxious about this, one less thing to lose sleep over.

greatapoc posted:

I use Guacamole for this. Integrates with Active Directory for logging into the web portal and then connects them straight to their desktop through RDP inside a web browser. https://guacamole.apache.org/

This is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

greatapoc posted:

I use Guacamole for this. Integrates with Active Directory for logging into the web portal and then connects them straight to their desktop through RDP inside a web browser. https://guacamole.apache.org/

This is quite slick and one more of those times when I'm like "yeah, the $10 I spent 14 years ago to join this forum was one of the best investments I've ever made". I probably don't even have a use for it right now, but at least I know what to suggest when someone asks. Thanks for the recommendation!

fake edit: just thought of a perfect use, oh man, exactly suited to fix something a customer's been annoying us with for months

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
If anyone has any concerns or doubts about Guacamole, it's the same product that Microsoft uses as the web interface for Windows Virtual Desktop. It's good, but there are some limitations. For our purposes, certain information wasn't passed through properly. A local client WOULD pas the critical details through. That meant rejiggering some back-end stuff to place nice.

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015
At my last place we were going to move all remote people on guacamole. Create a couple VMs for their day to day on a server. The issue was getting people to understand how to use it and security issues.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's just a web page so you could serve it up via Azure Application Proxy

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

One weird trick to make me not apply to your job posting: say that previous hires didn't work out because they weren't available 24/7/365.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The era of work from home is over as of next week at work. No real reasons were given, just orders to managers that people should be back on the 29th.
According to the boss, even though people worked well and there were no serious problems, there is no policy in place to account for people at home. Now, you'd think the 3 months that people have been locked down would be a good time to write the policy, but here we are.
Even more mystifying is that there has been no company wide directive, so people who work in states with massively rising infections are presumably treated like people in saner states.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

The era of work from home is over as of next week at work. No real reasons were given, just orders to managers that people should be back on the 29th.
According to the boss, even though people worked well and there were no serious problems, there is no policy in place to account for people at home. Now, you'd think the 3 months that people have been locked down would be a good time to write the policy, but here we are.
Even more mystifying is that there has been no company wide directive, so people who work in states with massively rising infections are presumably treated like people in saner states.

I'm in a place that has handled the rona better than almost everywhere in the world (yes except for NZ), yet we got told the other day to expect to WFH the next year :|

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CitizenKain posted:

There is no place in the United States where it is safe to go back into the office. Period. I'm in Pennsylvania, one of the 3 states that has had declining infections, and it's still not safe to go back into an office and sit with other people, breathing the same air. It's not going to be safe until there's a widely distributed, effective vaccine. That's just the plain unvarnished truth.

Honestly, if I were in your situation I would be lawyering up at this point because compelling people to report back into the office when work can and has been performed to requirements remotely is gross negligence and it is going to get someone killed (even if it isn't someone that works for the company.)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm in a place that has handled the rona better than almost everywhere in the world (yes except for NZ), yet we got told the other day to expect to WFH the next year :|

Place handling it well continues to handle it well. Checks out.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

CitizenKain posted:

I've been told that theres no reason for me to come back to the office again. If I want to wfh permanently, I can.

We arent opening our offices again any time soon. Maybe late this year/early next year.

This is going to save me about £350 a month and 3 hours a day in commuting costs and I get to spend more time with my son.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

My company ate our own dog food to send a survey to everyone asking if we were happy working from home, and if we'd like to go back to the office or not. So in september they want to start a staggered approach where everyone that said they want to move ASAP to the office can go, those who said they want to work from home will be able to. Seems like a good compromise.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Our client from England is starting up work again and I'm expected to travel in about 3-4 weeks, really not keen on this (don't have to travel to England, but to the east coast) especially since my wife has an auto immune disorder and athsma.

Honestly, if I could afford it I would just quit if they force me to go on this trip.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm in a country that wasn't proactive enough and had to go into lockdown but managed to slow down the epidemic (for now). My workplace has had us working from home during the lockdown but we've been back in the office since the beginning of the month with a setup where half of the staff is present on alternating days, to respect social distancing rules. Having to ride the crammed subway to work was not a good excuse to keep working for home 100%. I still got permission to do it for health reasons. We're supposed to all go back in the office in September.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Work's Phase II starts July 6th. That'll bring in another few hundred researchers and lab techs, plus some Manufacturing and QC people. We'll be at 15% normal population. I'm onsite a day or two a week to help cover tickets and sometimes I really do need to touch a specific computer. Intra-campus shuttles are on-call only. Commuter buses require reservations. The cafeteria is handing out entrees, beverages, and bags of condiments, desert, and plasticware as fast you can walk past the stations. People in the labs are coming in, starting experiments, and leaving.

I'd say that's an acceptable level of risk, especially since we're making tests, palliative drugs, and working on a vaccine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Work's Phase II starts July 6th. That'll bring in another few hundred researchers and lab techs, plus some Manufacturing and QC people. We'll be at 15% normal population. I'm onsite a day or two a week to help cover tickets and sometimes I really do need to touch a specific computer. Intra-campus shuttles are on-call only. Commuter buses require reservations. The cafeteria is handing out entrees, beverages, and bags of condiments, desert, and plasticware as fast you can walk past the stations. People in the labs are coming in, starting experiments, and leaving.

I'd say that's an acceptable level of risk, especially since we're making tests, palliative drugs, and working on a vaccine.

Seems very reasonable to me!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MF_James posted:

Our client from England is starting up work again and I'm expected to travel in about 3-4 weeks, really not keen on this (don't have to travel to England, but to the east coast) especially since my wife has an auto immune disorder and athsma.

Honestly, if I could afford it I would just quit if they force me to go on this trip.

Will they cover your 2 week quarantine bill (hotel room or whatever) when you get back from that trip?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Our current situation (pre-any sort of "work that can only be completed on-site" return) is one person per elevator, masks 100% of the time, strict social distancing in shared lab space, and if social distancing isn't possible then we have to don hazmat-style suits. Cafeteria closed indefinitely, I forget what they said about the campus shuttles but you definitely have to call for them now. No new non-covid experiments but that's been the policy since like March anyways.

We're not allowed to go on site to touch machines if it isn't both coronavirus-related and critical.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 24, 2020

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

bull3964 posted:

There is no place in the United States where it is safe to go back into the office. Period. I'm in Pennsylvania, one of the 3 states that has had declining infections, and it's still not safe to go back into an office and sit with other people, breathing the same air. It's not going to be safe until there's a widely distributed, effective vaccine. That's just the plain unvarnished truth.

Honestly, if I were in your situation I would be lawyering up at this point because compelling people to report back into the office when work can and has been performed to requirements remotely is gross negligence and it is going to get someone killed (even if it isn't someone that works for the company.)

You must not live in the US. In order to sue your employer you must prove you got sick at work.
The company will take the necessary measures to protect themselves from lawsuits. 6 feet distance for desks mandatory mask policy (company can’t control if people actually wear them).The company is following OSHA and CDC guidelines, you can’t sue them for being unsafe.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This thread has been one of the biggest boons of my career. If this Lowtax stuff shakes out in a bad way it's gonna be a real shame to lose this community.

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015

George H.W. oval office posted:

This thread has been one of the biggest boons of my career. If this Lowtax stuff shakes out in a bad way it's gonna be a real shame to lose this community.

Wait what happened?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

I've been told that theres no reason for me to come back to the office again. If I want to wfh permanently, I can.

We arent opening our offices again any time soon. Maybe late this year/early next year.

This is going to save me about £350 a month and 3 hours a day in commuting costs and I get to spend more time with my son.

This is where my (US based) company is, too. No plans to reopen anytime soon, and when they do, it sounds like it will be very optional to actually come in on a regular basis. I'm honestly kind of stunned by it because previously they were pretty hard core about butts in seats in the offices. I'm sure my illusions will be shattered eventually but it seems like senior leadership may have actually taken some of the right lessons from all of this poo poo. Turns out a bunch of people building software don't REALLY all have to be collocated at all times to do their jobs successfully.

Froshty posted:

Wait what happened?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So, what's the SH/SC slack channel again? Since SA is probably hosed soon.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRC or bust.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GreenNight posted:

IRC or bust.

Feel free to also visit us in #she-it on synirc, we are the remnants of the late #bofh just minus a couple rear end in a top hat misogynists. It is a chill place that won't ban you for mentioning that you're a goon.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
https://join.slack.com/t/somethingawfulitgoons/shared_invite/zt-8xixxar7-4_miJVqB6K7NZ_fe9G~rgw

here's the IT goons slack

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
larches you have no excuse get in there

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
rip SA.

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015
Now where am I suppose to shitpost? Reddit?

Seen a bunch of people heading into Discords as well

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I joined, I only really lurk or beg for help when building a new gaming PC but reading this thread absolutely keeps me sane about my work. Eg: you are the only people that care about conferencecall.biz, which is art

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm just discovering all this poo poo after waking up this morning and I want to go back to bed now. Everyone join the slack linked above, and let's try to keep this thread on topic for now please.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
in my day half a bit was plenty when I wanted to route to another subnet, I tied an onion to my browser which was the style at the time...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I basically never post here but I love this and the other IT threads.

I'm too much of an old man for slack/discord stuff though. You drat whippersnappers.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

As long as this forum exists I'll post here. Lowtax sucks but this community thrived in spite of him.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm just discovering all this poo poo after waking up this morning and I want to go back to bed now.

Pretty much.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
So someone told me if you put images in that folder you can use them as your own custom fake background on teams.

It probably says something about the way my mind works, but the first thing I did was step away from my desk, take a picture of my wall and use that as my fake back ground

It worked surprisingly well and I look forward to the opportunity to pretend I'm in the office

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

angry armadillo posted:

So someone told me if you put images in that folder you can use them as your own custom fake background on teams.

It probably says something about the way my mind works, but the first thing I did was step away from my desk, take a picture of my wall and use that as my fake back ground

It worked surprisingly well and I look forward to the opportunity to pretend I'm in the office

Zoom can do this as well.
I do actually have a picture of at the office, though it's our lobby logo wall.

...brb, turning around and taking a picture of the cubes behind me, since I happen to be in the office today for hands-on stuff.

I tend to use the Engineering section of the Enterprise (NCC-1701D) or outer space or something for my background. Zoom can even use video loops.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My job just approved paying for my AWS cert :woop:

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

quote of a quote posted:

A while ago, some presumed goon wrote a thread scraper for SA. It was a chrome extension supposed to turn an entire SA thread into a single HTML file so the browser user could save it to their HD. It wasn't working so 'Mojo asked me to see if it could fix it.

I forked the code and fixed the error messages, then did it again when chrome started hating on http connections or something. It's now the single thing I have available on github, because it would be rude not to let the orginal author know that somebody still loves his dead gay code:

https://github.com/Fumblemouse/SA-Archiving-Tool

To use:

Hit the big green Clone button and download it as a zip file.

Extract the zip file somewhere on your local hard drive.

In Chrome, go Settings -> More Tools -> Extensions and flick the Developer Mode switch on the top right.

There should now be an option to Load Unpacked on the left. Ignoring the untold comedy potential for that phrase, click the option and find the folder you extracted the zip to - by default, SA-Archiving-Tool-master. Select that folder and click the Open button.

All going well you should now have a hard-to-see SA icon on the chrome extension bar. If you visit a SA thread with a thread ID, eg https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3903748 the icon should now be clickable with a single option...Archive.

Click that link, and your local PC will think for a while, depending on your local tubespeed, then display a single page with the entire thread on it. CTRL+S or Rightclick Save As and save it whereever you want. WebPage, Complete will save images also.

Because nothing in life is easy, the saved page's HTML CSS tags refers to something set up by the chrome extension, so it will look a bit crappy in another browser or if you remove the extension. This can be fixed by changing the CSS reference in the Saved As HTML file to the files in the /archive folder from the extracted zipfile - or you could copy the /archive css files into the HTML file's folder and just have the tags as direct links to files (no folder references)

Go crazy!

Somebody please post the torrent for the SA_FoRuMs_complete.tar.gz

I wonder what the total size would be.

E: A data point!

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Okay! If you are interested in archive links, in case the site goes down, here you go! These are pure HTML, and don't include any images - they're linked but not downloaded - but it's still nearly half a gigabyte in total:

The Gaybies - all of 'em

Politoons 2007-8

Politoons 2009

Politoons 2010

Politoons 2011

Politoons 2012 part 1 - part 2

Politoons 2013 part 1 - part 2

Politoons 2014 part 1 - part 2

Politoons 2015

Politoons 2016

Politoons 2017

Politoons 2018

Politoons 2019

Politoons 2020 so far

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Somebody please post the torrent for the SA_FoRuMs_complete.tar.gz

I wonder what the total size would be.

Isn't this the kind of thing archive.org usually gets involved with? I wonder if one of their archivists or whatever could drop the :10bux: for an account and then scrape the forums.