Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

larchesdanrew posted:

PS: Job interview in about an hour and a half. wish me luck or something.

luck or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

MJP posted:

You can do it Larches! If anyone at the interview asks you're moving to make a change and wish the old employer well, they deserve all the trash talk possible but don't drop that stuff during an interview!

Ask me how I know this

Good luck Larches!

mjp: While we are all waiting and hoping for Larches, I would like to know more about how you gained that valuable life experience.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Godspeed, Larches!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Managed to talk them into a higher position as a lead tech. :ohdear:

I値l hear back in a few days :yotj:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you talked them into a higher position then I'd be amazed if it wasn't good news

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

larchesdanrew posted:

Managed to talk them into a higher position as a lead tech. :ohdear:

I’ll hear back in a few days :yotj:

That sounds promising! Just remember there are dozens of complete strangers in the internet that are rooting for you!

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Give everyone domain admin and let it burn.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's not do the needful, but I got a laugh from this response I just got in a ticket

quote:

If you need any help related to this issue please send us an email we値l defiantly help you on this.
Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

less than three posted:

If you need any help related to this issue please send us an email we値l defiantly help you on this.
Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

brb changing my email signature

Jewel
May 2, 2009

even typo aside "we'll definitely help you" doesn't fill me with confidence knowing microsoft

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sarern posted:

mjp: While we are all waiting and hoping for Larches, I would like to know more about how you gained that valuable life experience.

I'll share mine !

Back when I was trying to get the hell away from the advertising agency I had a an awful, awful interview set up by some dickhead from Robert Half. This motherfucker altered my resume to say I was looking for a consulting gig. I hate consulting, so when this came up in the phone call with the employer it didn't go well.[1]

A few weeks later I had an in-person at a video studio down the street, closer to public transportation and places for lunch. I hit it off with the hiring manager, I've got good suggestions based on what I see during the tour. Best of all, one of the more talented local editors is on-site for a project, so she sees me, runs over and gives me a hug, then tells the manager he should hire me. We settle down in his office to get down to brass tacks.

He asks me what it's like at $AGENCY. I start telling him. Then I see the look on his face. I thanked him for his time and saw myself out to have a good cursing and kicking walls session.

tl;dr
NEVER bad mouth a previous employer. Lie, repeat the same stock phrase to every question, change the subject, pull the fire alarm, ANYTHING but that.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Good luck larches!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
They want me to come in Wednesday morning to meet with the rest of the team :neckbeard:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

They want me to come in Wednesday morning to meet with the rest of the team :neckbeard:

Got your 3 piece suit all ironed, right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

tl;dr
NEVER bad mouth a previous employer. Lie, repeat the same stock phrase to every question, change the subject, pull the fire alarm, ANYTHING but that.

This needs repeating. Never, ever do this. Nothing will move you from head of the line to out the door faster than talking poo poo about a previous employer.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Got your 3 piece suit all ironed, right?

I知 traveling light and literally only have one of three plaid button-ups, jeans, and boots. Let痴 hope they like the Deep South corporate casual look :shrug:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

larchesdanrew posted:

I知 traveling light and literally only have one of three plaid button-ups, jeans, and boots. Let痴 hope they like the Deep South corporate casual look :shrug:

Depends on the company. When I interviewed, my contract agency guy told me to dress less fancy (lose the suit jacket and keep all the earrings), but YMMV.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

I was pretty much joking. The city and the job your going for sounds extremely casual. Like a collared shirt and slacks would be fancy once you got the job.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sarern posted:

Good luck Larches!

It was 2011, I think. NYC. I was working for an MSP. I was really unhappy that I was doing nothing but remote helpdesk work, and the place was basically run by the IT equivalent of used car salesmen. The usual MSP stuff applies. The people I worked WITH were among the finest human beings I've known doing IT. We all helped each other out on the phones and off.

A couple of the guys I worked with had previously left for another MSP a few blocks away. We stayed in touch and they talked about the Nerf guns, the reasonable growth of clients, getting notice of new onboardings, documentation, etc. They both gave me glowing recommendations. I got the phone screen, then the in-person interview with the director.

From what I can recall, the interview was going very well. The question of why I was looking to make a move came up. I don't recall every word but I know I was talking about how I wanted to grow my skills, get more technical, etc. I also mentioned one very true and known fact: the current manager wasn't the greatest, he had temper problems, and at one point he put forth a new rule: nobody was allowed to have facial hair. I had interviewed with that MSP with a goatee, and his boss had no problems at the time. (One of the techs had to go onsite to a client and was growing in a goatee, the client didn't like the look and complained). That manager made no exceptions, even for people who never went onsite and who already had facial hair such as me. I was their #1 ticket closer and when I said I'd come in with the goatee, he'd have to send me home, he was all "okay, just keep your numbers where they are".

I mentioned the facial hair story as a minor aside. The rest of the interview seemed to go well. We shook hands, all the usual interview stuff.

Time went on and I heard nothing from the hiring people at the possible new job. I asked my former co-workers, and they inquired. I didn't make the cut. The director who interviewed me thought I was a great fit but didn't like the fact that I had bad-mouthed my current boss.

From then on out, my boss was never, ever the problem - "I have plenty of respect for %bossname%, but it's %stuff outside of boss' control% that's prompting me to make a move." So yeah, I don't even mention a single negative thing about my current boss at the time if I'm interviewing, and any true serious negatives save for very obvious red flags are couched to sound balanced and less awful.

larchesdanrew posted:

YOU CAN DO IT LARCHES! WE BELIEVE IN YOU!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A ticket came in

code:
During an implementation global admin accounts got removed from thousands servers world wide. 
Impact access to servers for IT techs, Finance Team, (...) Services Group, (...) Developers, Engineering Tech Apps team 
and other teams have lost admin access to their License Servers, application servers. 
Also service accounts are impacted, therefore some applications could be impacted as well. This is impacting all domains.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol, glad that's not your problem to fix

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Renamed a Team to standard nomenclature, changed the SharePoint URL, updated the email address. Checked the files tabs on the channels to see if the files were there yet, they weren't, showed up within 10-15 minutes.

Renamed a second Team. Did it on a Friday afternoon to make sure the Team had the whole weekend to fix the file pathing to the new URL.

On Monday, a ticket came in.

Users can't access files on that team. Made a ticket with M365. Turns out that the team literally doesn't begin the process of pointing the files to the new location until you go into each individual channel, click "files", and get the notification that the files aren't accessible. Then, and only then will M365 run whatever script fixes the file pathing on their backend. It literally does it on a per-channel basis, requiring a user interaction that causes an error message.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A ticket came in...

Can you come and collect/secure all this hardware we have confiscated from the #2 boss, he wont be working for a while following a series of sexual misconduct complaints and the subsequent investigation.

Oops.

I'm going to go with "he wont be working for us again" though... have fun in lock down with your wife.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
My dad used to teach business skills, including how to get hired, and he will 3000% tell you never say anything bad about a previous employer. My previous employer was a sex pest who underpaid me and tried to bribe me to give his SEO books 5 star reviews on Amazon. When I interviewed, I just said, "I'm not being challeneged, and I'd like to move into a larger organization with room for growth." Months or years later, once my employment was secure, I definitely told lots of fuckin stories about my previous jobs. But for the love of god, montressor, keep that poo poo to yourself in interviews.

My life lesson came when I used to have a fairly open blog under my real name and artist nickname (I was trying to make a go at doing art professionally on the side, so having that in my online presence was important at the time). I was on LiveJournal, so I usually screened most of my personal life stuff into my friends-only list, and my creative and less specific comments stayed public.

I interviewed for a position doing some stuff that I was super passionate about at the time, and I had an in thru a tech headhunter friend whose wife worked there. I met with them, did an informal lunch interview, did a formal sit-down interview, got a great feeling about it, shook hands, yadda yadda. Never heard back. Figured they went in a different direction and shelved it.

A year later, I happened to be having dinner with a friend of that couple, and I asked if she knew why I never got a call back. "Oh, yeah. They read your blog."

"Yes and?"

"They read the post you made about getting pulled over by the cops, and they didn't like it."

I got pulled over doing 26 in a 25 because I was trying to get to the doctor on short notice. I'd been vomiting continuously for 36 hours and my doc said if I could get there in 20 minutes, he could see me, but otherwise it'd be 6 hours later. Every school zone in town is a 35 zone except that one, so I thought I was going extra stupid slow just in case and popped one MPH over. Never been cited for speeding before, and the cop wrote me up anyway, even after I told him what was going on, and I was late to the doctor because of it. So gently caress that cop, ACAB, and I'm glad I didn't get that loving job.

But I also tore down most of my social media presence until I got a job where I'm allowed to not give a gently caress again. My web presence in the art communities never recovered, and that door is basically shut now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I had fun after I left Xbox support.
"Why did you leave your previous job?"
"My cohort of phone monkeys was approaching legal protections under the Unfair Dismissals Act so they fired us all a month before it'd be illegal to".
":stare:".
Sadly this usually turned into them begging for more details, and it took me a while to learn how to hint that it'd be appropriate lunchtime conversation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

klosterdev posted:

It literally does it on a per-channel basis, requiring a user interaction that causes an error message.

Microsoft: the world standard in Minimum Viable Products.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Teams is such garbage. Super fun doing a search for a problem I remember coming up in a discussion a while ago, and sure enough the statement of the issue is right there in the results. Then I click on the result, and it literally just shows me that isolated message with no surrounding context. So I guess I get to slowly scroll back through 4 months of discussion in a channel to actually find the immediate next response that has the solution...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The way teams has to load each part of the chat history is easily the worst thing about it for me. Makes it painful to try to find old conversations

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Teams chat history is stored in your exchange mailbox, informs some of the terribleness

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you look at how it's stored in there it explains the rest of it.

That said, mine returns the full context of the conversations. I can only guess that the conversation wasn't threaded in the first place, and therefore there's no way to return context because there wasn't any?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Ghostlight posted:

That said, mine returns the full context of the conversations. I can only guess that the conversation wasn't threaded in the first place, and therefore there's no way to return context because there wasn't any?

This was a group chat, so there's only the one continuous stream of messages. Maybe chat histories are stored differently to proper channels or something. It does usually work as expected, but the exceptions are frequent enough to make me just dislike the app as a whole.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I love how sometimes I open a Google Chat I was posting in on desktop until 10 min ago, and suddenly it decides the last 12 hours worth of posts are all unread, and also, scrolling back over each thread won't mark it as read. The only option is to open those threads (they automatically cinch back up after 4-5 posts), scroll up to the last unread you can remember, tap "jump to bottom," and after doing so for each thread, force quit Chat on your device and reopen. THEN your thread notifications will be trued up with reality!

ENTERPRISE READY.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Software is bad

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Fool posted:

Teams chat history is stored in your exchange mailbox, informs some of the terribleness

No it isn't, that's skype for business/lync. Teams chat history is on some circle of sharepoint.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

T-man posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

So uh, if these forums can't continue (under new ownership) or get nuked, then where would everyone go? I'd rather not lose this community.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

nielsm posted:

So uh, if these forums can't continue (under new ownership) or get nuked, then where? I'd rather not lose this community.

Take names, join discords, pray that the forums get taken over by new management or a unified successor materialises.

It could well be the end of an era.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Carth Dookie posted:

Take names, join discords, pray that the forums get taken over by new management or a unified successor materialises.

It could well be the end of an era.

There is a SHSC slack already if you don't want to mix gaming assholes and sa assholes.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

SlowBloke posted:

There is a SHSC slack already if you don't want to mix gaming assholes and sa assholes.

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Slack sounds like a good place to at least be able to regroup from, would appreciate the link