Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Update July 2nd:

Jerusalem posted:

This thread has clearly outlived it's purpose and now people are posting about posters, which is lame and dumb. As KFG noted, there is an ignore button for a reason, please make use of it.

On topic for the thread's original purpose: Jeffrey is keeping the site updated through forums announcements about the progress of the sale of SA so we can be done with Lowtax for good. When that goes through, then SA's future is secured. If it all falls apart for whatever reason, there are multiple Discords available as safety nets until/if a new replacement site can be found: bookmark https://goondiscordnetwork.com/ for a handy directory of SA-affiliated Discords.

------

AT THE MOMENT WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN!

Incredibly serious allegations have been made about SomethingAwful's owner Lowtax, and at the moment there is a lot of confusion about what this means for SA. Is Lowtax gonna sell it? Does anybody even want to buy it? Will he try to continue things the same as before? If he does will anybody want to stick around?

Obviously there is still a ton of resolutions that might come out of this, but given none of us know ANYTHING at the moment, you might want to consider/discuss options you would like to be aware of if a worst case scenario happened and SA (and thus, of course, FIGHT ISLAND) was to disappear: whether that be Discord, another forum software, Reddit, The Board, DVDR or any of a million other options.

Please again keep in mind that all this popped up basically in the last few hours and nobody knows what is happening yet, and nothing been spoken about in terms of replacement places/migration points is anything but discussion at the moment. This thread is purely so you can have a place to discuss specifically what might happen with the FIGHT ISLAND community.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I mean, while we're having a meta thread to discuss the future it's probably worth also talking about the problems people have been having with the community. I appreciate that once people talked about hornyposting a 12th time with the backdrop of all the poo poo coming out about wrestling something actually happened, but overall moderation in this subforum has been way too hands off and permissive of some frankly gross posting.

You end up with the community you foster, and if the community as-is right now was supplanted elsewhere I'm not 100% sure I'd bother following it.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I have no clue what’s going to happen but I don’t want to lose ya’ll

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Crossposting for archival purposes, worst case scenario and all that:

The Kins posted:

Realtalk: Give ARCHIVETEAM a quick buzz. They'll swoop in and back up everything, probably wracking up a hefty bandwidth bill in the bargain. I mean, they backed up Geocities. Geocities!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
On one hand it will help me divest fully from wrestling at this moment but on the other hand I’ve really enjoyed reading threads you guys made. My best posting days are long past but many of you are still in your prime. <3

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I'm almost entirely a lurker here, and when I have posted, I don't think people have even liked my posts? I love this place though, what's the next best place to talk about wrestling, The Board? gently caress.

I have experience setting up forums software, getting things configured right, doing CSS, and I have the free time and the desire to do the work, and I'll also front the necessary $20, so if you want me to set up an offsite forum, just in case that's useful or necessary, I will, but only if Jerusalem et al approve. If anyone with more credibility in this community wants to do it instead, that's cool and reasonable, I just don't have anything else to offer right now, and this plays into my very limited personal strengths. If this then goes on to be a thing I will hand the keys over to J-Ru or anyone else the community decides on. I know I'm not someone any of you know well, and if you don't want me to have that kind of position in this, that's completely reasonable, I just figured it couldn't hurt to make this offer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mfcrocker posted:

I mean, while we're having a meta thread to discuss the future it's probably worth also talking about the problems people have been having with the community. I appreciate that once people talked about hornyposting a 12th time with the backdrop of all the poo poo coming out about wrestling something actually happened, but overall moderation in this subforum has been way too hands off and permissive of some frankly gross posting.

You end up with the community you foster, and if the community as-is right now was supplanted elsewhere I'm not 100% sure I'd bother following it.

Sorry you feel this way. What sort of things do you think are problematic? I'd like to know if I'm doing it so I can change & be better as a person.

And I know putting this on you really sucks but it's just I feel like your Fight Island experience is so different to mine that I don't even know where to start.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 24, 2020

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I hope everyone joins the discord we set up for the TEW Dead WWE Scenario game. Lots of good people there already. Just in case.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I believe everything that woman is saying but I also feel like we’ve been around the “Lowtax is a piece of poo poo and the future of the site is unknown” block an exhausting number of times at this point so I’m just gonna post until the day the site gives a 404.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

On a completely personal standpoint, I'm interested in a replacement for SA (or preferably a change of ownership of current SA) as a whole and not specifically just FIGHT ISLAND. I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be a good time to step back from moderating (this decision might be taken away from me sooner rather than later in any case) since it is starting to demand more of my time than I'm actually capable or comfortable of giving it, at least in the short term.

Trying to create a brand new forum just for FI right at the moment is probably premature, and runs the risk of fracturing a bunch of inter-connected communities. That isn't to say that people can't go ahead and do it if they're keen and have a lot of interest, of course, but I was thinking more in terms of making people aware of currently existing alternatives or even holding spaces like discord while waiting for something covering more of the traditional SA structure to get set-up.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
In almost every instance of a forum shutting down because of management I've personally experienced, off-shoot forums are not very successful at all. You get about a tenth of the posters that were around before at best, and after that tapers off you end up with just a handful of small cliqs of friends and rarely any new posters.

The two best solutions seem to be Discord or linking our Twitter socials to keep up with people, maybe a Twitter List like the old #tWo used to have (And I think is still linked in the OP of the Social Media thread but severely out of date)

The big thing for a some people is going to be archiving old topics and there's handfulls of ways to do that too.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Jerusalem posted:

On a completely personal standpoint, I'm interested in a replacement for SA (or preferably a change of ownership of current SA) as a whole and not specifically just FIGHT ISLAND. I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be a good time to step back from moderating (this decision might be taken away from me sooner rather than later in any case) since it is starting to demand more of my time than I'm actually capable or comfortable of giving it, at least in the short term.

Trying to create a brand new forum just for FI right at the moment is probably premature, and runs the risk of fracturing a bunch of inter-connected communities. That isn't to say that people can't go ahead and do it if they're keen and have a lot of interest, of course, but I was thinking more in terms of making people aware of currently existing alternatives or even holding spaces like discord while waiting for something covering more of the traditional SA structure to get set-up.

I would imagine that any FI specific off-site forum would be dissolved in the case that a proper post-SA transition occurs. This would be more of a temporary way to make sure people can post in the way they're accustomed to in the meantime.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

sportsgenius86 posted:

I believe everything that woman is saying but I also feel like we’ve been around the “Lowtax is a piece of poo poo and the future of the site is unknown” block an exhausting number of times at this point so I’m just gonna post until the day the site gives a 404.

same

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just wanna keep posting about wrestling with you all :sigh:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I want to preserve sa as a community without lowtaxs bullshit, and im gonna try to work with the rest of the staff to do so

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
FIGHT ISLAND is real. We're building the infrastructure.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hopefully Lowtax just goes away and hands the site over to someone else. Even without taking the current allegations into consideration he's been an absentee landlord and only made these forums shittier anyway, and taking the current allegations into consideration he needs to gently caress off. So I guess I'm personally going to wait and see, either the issue gets resolved or most of the userbase gets revenge banned to leaves on their own accord and SA dies an ignominious death.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Lid posted:

good news everybody a small island in the Caribbean has recently come up for sale due to the untimely death of its owner!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeah this isn't exactly new information. It's not even the first time he's been outed as a domestic abuser. I made a specific decision to pull away from most of the forum after the way he treated trans posters during the FYAD drama this year. The only reason I'm still in PSP is cause I love wrestling and I love this community. As it is posting on this forum isn't giving Lowtax any money so I'm happy to stay here while we can but if people move away I'll follow.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Seams posted:

good news everybody a small island in the Caribbean has recently come up for sale due to the untimely death of its owner!

Is there any way to move it to a slightly more northerly latitude?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

forkboy84 posted:

Sorry you feel this way. What sort of things do you think are problematic? I'd like to know if I'm doing it so I can change & be better as a person.

And I know putting this on you really sucks but it's just I feel like your Fight Island experience is so different to mine that I don't even know where to start.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem at the moment is people who aggressively shout down whenever people share their concerns, followed up by people who joke and shitpost through it. We saw it a lot in the posts linked as evidence during the discussion in the #SpeakingOut thread.

If a community's culture is going to become/stay non-toxic, people need the room to raise concerns without feeling like they're going to get poo poo on for doing so. Clearly that's not been provided up til now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I've been around SA for 20ish years. Not many things in my life have lasted 20 years. Whatever happens, happens. I've loved SA and as dumb as it sounds it's made me a better person.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Lid posted:

I’m casting accompany on you all and we’re going to FIGHT ISLAND

But yeah I would be interested in a Discord or something until a proper replacement emerges. At least half the fun of watching AEW is shitposting with my internet wrestlebuddies.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Mons Hubris posted:

I’m casting accompany on you all and we’re going to FIGHT ISLAND

But yeah I would be interested in a Discord or something until a proper replacement emerges. At least half the fun of watching AEW is shitposting with my internet wrestlebuddies.

Casual reminder that there's already a discord! https://discord.gg/w9pwfu

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nevermind, you updated it. Another Discord for me to sit in & forget exists.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 24, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mfcrocker posted:

Honestly, I think the biggest problem at the moment is people who aggressively shout down whenever people share their concerns, followed up by people who joke and shitpost through it. We saw it a lot in the posts linked as evidence during the discussion in the #SpeakingOut thread.

If a community's culture is going to become/stay non-toxic, people need the room to raise concerns without feeling like they're going to get poo poo on for doing so. Clearly that's not been provided up til now.

Perhaps we should should have a specific feedback/issues thread that's regulated against shitposting and such where people can have these discussions with the mods?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Rarity posted:

Perhaps we should should have a specific feedback/issues thread that's regulated against shitposting and such where people can have these discussions with the mods?

This is good in theory, but frankly I don't wanna do any mod work right now, not until lowtax steps down/away

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rarity posted:

I honestly would just prefer if mods actually did their jobs properly and handled these issues in-situ. It doesn't take many sixers for people to get the message that certain poo poo doesn't fly here, but time and time again the mod staff in here have been unwilling to a fault to take action.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Junpei Hyde posted:

This is good in theory, but frankly I don't wanna do any mod work right now, not until lowtax steps down/away

That's completely understandable, I was talking more of a long-term change for whatever form the community takes shape in in the future.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Call Benjamin Linus because we need to move this island NOW

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Would it be an idea for someone trustworthy to collate a list of PSP posters here who want to move? Like a google docs list that they have, so if a change comes everyone can get an email update if for example, someone decides to nuke the servers in a fit of pique? Like I post here, but not much, and I don't really know anyone. If the site goes down suddenly, how will people be informed of the new location?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is about where I'm at, yeah.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Von Linus posted:

Would it be an idea for someone trustworthy to collate a list of PSP posters here who want to move? Like a google docs list that they have, so if a change comes everyone can get an email update if for example, someone decides to nuke the servers in a fit of pique? Like I post here, but not much, and I don't really know anyone. If the site goes down suddenly, how will people be informed of the new location?

I mean, everyone can just jump in the Discord so that even if they don't talk they'll be notified there of any move

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Rarity posted:

I mean, everyone can just jump in the Discord so that even if they don't talk they'll be notified there of any move

Yeah my problem there is I'm farting around in work and don't have access to Discord.I'll figure something out if it's ok for everyone else.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Von Linus posted:

I'm probably gonna sign up to the Discord even if I don't plan to use it, just so that I can get any notification that gets sent out about something like this. The risk with handing out e-mails to a "trustworthy" person is that as we've seen especially in recent times, you can't always trust that somebody really is trustworthy.

Rarity posted:

Exactly!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I genuinely don't have a good answer. As much as I love this community and want to keep it together, that might not be possible in the current circumstances, and I've yet to see a good replacement for the message board format that doesn't completely splinter people off.

That said, the least we can do is give whatever contacts we're comfortable with to hold together friendships that we built up, so you can catch me on the Discord and Twitter at https://www.twitter.com/LordBenne

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Rarity posted:

I'll gladly lurk wherever we end up, if the worst comes to pass.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Id be down for a discord.

Ugh i want my fraction of lowtax lowspine back.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Venomous posted:

Casual reminder that there's already a discord! https://discord.gg/w9pwfu

Registered!

Never used discord before. It's loving chaos. I take it all the categories down the left hand side are the equivalent of individuals threads here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Man this loving sucks. Reddit sucks and I’m not a fan of discord. Any offsite replacement forum is going to have a fraction of a fraction of the userbase.

Here’s hoping that lowtax sells the forums.