Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Basically I wind up in it while working SLX or an Ankle lock and use it to trap their leg. I'm not very confident in saying I understand the core principle of it. I'm typically the guy on bottom to a standing opponent and get it that way, force them to their but/ground and thats where I get stuck.

If you got 20 minutes, this is worth a watch:

https://youtu.be/IpUtQ5KgUwA

It goes over passes, and how to disengage, among other things.

If you can break your opponent down to their butt or hip, your doing very well. Now you just need a few tools, and you can start dominating that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
have you tried applying tremendous breaking force?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
So uhmm it seems like people are looking to the lifeboats with all this forum drama.

I don't know much of the details but seeing a lot of discords popping up.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Xguard86 posted:

So uhmm it seems like people are looking to the lifeboats with all this forum drama.

I don't know much of the details but seeing a lot of discords popping up.

What is happening? I guess I missed something?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Time to download Discord and mainly lurk then I guess

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Lowtax hit (another?) woman. Idk exactly I've seen two other threads I follow post discords and there's a thread in gbs.

I'm not sure if it's the effect on the crowd funding keeping sa afloat and the site goes offline or people not wanting to support lowtax and just leaving.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Xguard86 posted:

Lowtax hit (another?) woman. Idk exactly I've seen two other threads I follow post discords and there's a thread in gbs.

I'm not sure if it's the effect on the crowd funding keeping sa afloat and the site goes offline or people not wanting to support lowtax and just leaving.

:psypop:

i guess that's what happens when you ignore the existence of GBS

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Well we'll see I guess. Can create a discord if it really is the end.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

the yellow dart posted:

What is happening? I guess I missed something?

Lowtax beat another wife. People are saying don't give anymore money to the forums or his patreon.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Can't believe I'm doing this, on several levels, but:

If SA goes out unexpectedly, I say we use Twitter and some SA hashtag to reform in discord.

Been 16 years and counting and I don't want everything to blow up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

Can't believe I'm doing this, on several levels, but:

If SA goes out unexpectedly, I say we use Twitter and some SA hashtag to reform in discord.

Been 16 years and counting and I don't want everything to blow up.

Let's use Mekchu's discord as a home base.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

CommonShore posted:

yeh was going to say teh MMA goons dischord is really active so could be a good migration point

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh there's also a wrestling discord with a dead MMA channel that was made during the previous PSP civil war/exodus that claimed fatherdog.

Basically if we all take the time to join a handful of discords and/or twitter gangs we can spread the word.

I'm floating the idea of trying to crowdfund purchasing the forums from lowtax and setting it up so that future profits go to e.g. a domestic abuse charity. I have no further ideas and I'm not offering to run it; I'm just peeing that idea into the water.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Can someone link me to the MMA or grappling discord you guys are talking about

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I just realized that exists. Agree!

I joined via https://goondiscordnetwork.com/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu's fight shack:

invite link - https://discord.gg/SkR8ZeC

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

I appreciate this support. I'll try to make it less lovely too and add more useful doodads and whistles.

Also to JaySB and Yuns, who hopefully lurk or at least pay attention to this thread. I would love it if you could join us there. I know its not SA, and I know its not amazing but you two are welcomed and I know things may not always be loveydovey but I think its safe to say we (the general term) still love and appreciate your posts about hugging people to death. I love every one of you regardless of how smelly your gi or rashguard is.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I joined your discord Mekchu but it’s hard to tell what’s what. Edit: deleted my question bc I found the channel

Anyways, what’s your guys opinion on toeholds. Do you go for them in training? I feel like there is something kinda chaotic about a toehold, especially considering you can snatch and crank effective ones without controlling the knee I think (maybe I am wrong about this), i have been in quarantine and rolling with my brother for about 3 months exclusively as he lives nearby and is also quarantined, and I have learned by repeatedly toe holding him (hs wrestler with no BJJ experience) that it can be felt in the ankle, knee and even hip(?) although maybe he has hip bursitis

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 25, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I joined your discord Mekchu but it’s hard to tell what’s what. Which txt channel is this thread?

Anyways, what’s your guys opinion on toeholds. Do you go for them in training? I feel like there is something kinda chaotic about a toehold, especially considering you can snatch and crank effective ones without controlling the knee I think (maybe I am wrong about this), i have been in quarantine and rolling with my brother for about 3 months exclusively as he lives nearby and is also quarantined, and I have learned by repeatedly toe holding him (hs wrestler with no BJJ experience) that it can be felt in the ankle, knee and even hip(?) although maybe he has hip bursitis

I popped someone's ankle with a toe hold and since then I'm careful with them. Like, I grab them all the time because I'm good at finding them, but I don't push them that far if someone doesn't want to tap, and I'll catch and release at that point.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And this is #grappling

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I'm in the same boat for toeholds when sparring with friends. People don't trust spazzy whitebelt in the dojo, though.

I think I'll work on headlocks and single leg takedowns next chance I can train.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I joined your discord Mekchu but it’s hard to tell what’s what. Edit: deleted my question bc I found the channel

Toe holds own, just make sure you have control of their leg before you dive on it.

When being toe holded, don't instinctively pull you leg back towards your core. That's an ouchy for sure (as it happened to me).

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Goddamn I hate people that fight you when you are trying to drill a move.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Goddamn I hate people that fight you when you are trying to drill a move.

Counterpoint, adding resistance into your drills is good for you.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That's not the same thing though

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

That's not the same thing though

No poo poo?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mekchu posted:

I appreciate this support. I'll try to make it less lovely too and add more useful doodads and whistles.

Also to JaySB and Yuns, who hopefully lurk or at least pay attention to this thread. I would love it if you could join us there. I know its not SA, and I know its not amazing but you two are welcomed and I know things may not always be loveydovey but I think its safe to say we (the general term) still love and appreciate your posts about hugging people to death. I love every one of you regardless of how smelly your gi or rashguard is.

Appreciate the kind words.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I let my training partner dictate how hard they want to drill, it's them that decide how compliant they are.

One time this guy showed up claiming to have training for many years. He didn't move or react like it. I was partnered up and we were drilling and he was fighting everything like his life depended on it.

We're doing this front headlock roll and this guy is full competition level resistance, so I'm just ratcheting up the torque until I'm doing full strength wrestling style gut wrench on this guy torquing his arm up against his head that he's going purple fighting to breathe rather than roll over. Coach came and gave me a dressing down in front of everyone about being a bully.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I used to be all about them until a tournament right before the lockdown started, where I broke one or two ankles without the guy tapping, and one of those guys eventually escaped and came back to win on points largely because I was grossed out by crunching his ankle *again* after he didn't tap to the first pop. I've popped a few ankles from people being stubborn in training, but nowhere near as badly as that one.

They are everywhere, though. Plenty of guards put your legs in the right position to control the leg you aren't attacking, which is what makes the difference between a controlled finish and the chaotic ones you're describing. Here's Dean Lister showing one from when you're on top and the bottom guy is trying to play DLR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig5VZfHE1Qg

There's another easy one from top half guard. The bottom guy generally has to straighten their top leg to defend it, which makes the threat of the toehold a good way to slip past a knee shield so you can start flattening them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw8P8Y3Dft0

You can also dig for them from bottom half, or even capture them as you regain half guard from bottom side control once you have a feel for where your legs need to go to control the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU8GsNLl99U

You can get it if you're playing SLX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_o_znlY5b8

I've even hit it from the end of step 1 of this X-guard sweep, although I can't vouch for it working against anyone above, like... blue or purple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk02F1eydHM

This is a fun gotcha to do to white belts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU1SaOSm9_8

And of course, Lachy has some options for counters if someone tries one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pCKbDQt3_8

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Holy poo poo thanks for that awesome post!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Nestharken posted:

There's another easy one from top half guard. The bottom guy generally has to straighten their top leg to defend it, which makes the threat of the toehold a good way to slip past a knee shield so you can start flattening them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw8P8Y3Dft0

I spam this all the time like crazy to set up the pass with zero expectation of actually finishing. I think I’ve caught it maybe twice in live rolls, once against a guy who didn’t really know leg attacks and once on a guy napping. But is very high % for initiating the pass.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
How stupid am I for contemplating buying this and wearing it to class (in 2 months by the time it ships). Put it on, strap some duct tape around my ears so it doesn’t slip off easily and start looking for toe holds

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua-sportsmask/pid1368010

im going crazy!!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

110 days since last rolls :smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

butros posted:

105 for me

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHOAH NUFF posted:

How stupid am I for contemplating buying this and wearing it to class (in 2 months by the time it ships). Put it on, strap some duct tape around my ears so it doesn’t slip off easily and start looking for toe holds

im going crazy!!

i have to wear a cloth mask while teaching and i spend most of the classes seated and i have difficulty breathing well enough doing just talking. i can't imagine how incredibly horrible it'd be to do bjj with one of those on.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

butros posted:

same. Why do my knees still hurt!!!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Mekchu posted:

i have to wear a cloth mask while teaching and i spend most of the classes seated and i have difficulty breathing well enough doing just talking. i can't imagine how incredibly horrible it'd be to do bjj with one of those on.

I figured the cardio would suck, I guess rolls would be shorter and more flowy.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

SHOAH NUFF posted:

im going crazy!!

The goal with covid is to make sure no liquid of any kind transfers from one human body to another. If lots of people wear masks in public places this helps, because it minimizes those tiny droplets of moisture that come out of your mouth when you breathe or speak.

But if you're grappling? Literally sweating in each other's eyes? The mask is less than useless

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

same. Why do my knees still hurt!!!

yeah my shoulders are still really jacked up.