Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I know this is a selfish thing to think about and a question nobody may be able to answer but would there be an easy way of archiving content? I'm really proud of the Hulkamania PPV thread I did a few years back and I don't want that to get lost into the ether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll look at the Discord, but honestly I'm one of those dinosaurs who really prefers the forum format as it feels more manageable and easier to follow. Discord is more like IRC in that it feels like walking into a crowded room with a million voices, as opposed to forum threads that feel more like directed meetings/conversations. The same is kinda true for Twitter and Reddit because they're all focused on immediacy and not a more permanent and browsable archive.

I know some of this is just fear of change, exacerbated by basically everything hitting the fan at once, but I could really do without one of the few regular social outlets I still have going away or reincarnation as something I don't feel comfortable using. :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rarity posted:

I know this is a selfish thing to think about and a question nobody may be able to answer but would there be an easy way of archiving content? I'm really proud of the Hulkamania PPV thread I did a few years back and I don't want that to get lost into the ether.

The Kins posted:

Realtalk: Give ARCHIVETEAM a quick buzz. They'll swoop in and back up everything, probably wracking up a hefty bandwidth bill in the bargain. I mean, they backed up Geocities. Geocities!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Crapple! posted:

Registered!

Never used discord before. It's loving chaos. I take it all the categories down the left hand side are the equivalent of individuals threads here?

It's just IRC that supports embeds. A discord server is an IRC server, the userlist is on the right, just like in your typical IRC client and is usually arranged in order of server powers, just like IRC, channels start with a # and don't loving support spaces just like IRC. Aside from the embeds, the other benefit over IRC is that everything is logged server-side and is available for ever, regardless of whether or not you were in the channel when it was posted, as long as you currently have permission to be there, so you can look at a discord channel and scroll all the way up to the beginning and read everything, or search for what you need with a fairly robust search function that lets you filter by user/channel/date range etc.

You can also do poo poo like "connect" your other accounts to your Discord account such that it enables people clicking on your Discord profile and seeing your Twitch/Twitter/XBL/PSN/Steam name and such, this also allows you to automatically be granted permission to be in certain servers and/or channels based on subscribing (paying money) to a Twitch channel, which is a pretty common usage, over 90% of the Discord servers I'm in are linked to Twitch channels.

Until today I've been avoiding joining the various discord servers that were posted here as I believed people were primarily going there to avoid being subject to the SA rules (aka, to be lovely people), but obviously the situation is now changed so I'm gonna pop in to the one(s?) posted recently.

Feel free to reach out to me on any platform if you have any other kind of questions in terms of "how the gently caress does Discord work" or whatever, it's the least I can contribute.

I like forums, this loving sucks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

Check out the Let's Play archive, I don't know if they still do it but back when I did SSLPs they had set up a handy archiver that would hunt through a thread and pull out all your specific posts including images and zip them up. Until they made the waffleimages script, the LP Archive was the only complete record I had of my own threads. You should be able to apply it to any thread on the forums, I'm pretty sure.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I definitely prefer to have a forum too. I'll probably only use the discord if everything goes to hell. Right now I'm happy to continue posting here but won't be offering any further monetary support to the site until (hopefully) the leadership changes

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I don’t want to lose the only good place to talk about MMA :mad:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Whatever replacement forum we end up with needs the $10 paywall. Maybe not right away but after enough guns get a chance to try there. I'm convinced that's a huge part of what's kept SA a great community online. I joined the discord mostly so I'll know where to go of this shuts down

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hellblazer187 posted:

Whatever replacement forum we end up with needs the $10 paywall. Maybe not right away but after enough guns get a chance to try there. I'm convinced that's a huge part of what's kept SA a great community online. I joined the discord mostly so I'll know where to go of this shuts down

Having the paywall to entry is a part of what makes SA worth using but also boy does it ever loving suck when you're poor.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

Check out the Let's Play archive, I don't know if they still do it but back when I did SSLPs they had set up a handy archiver that would hunt through a thread and pull out all your specific posts including images and zip them up. Until they made the waffleimages script, the LP Archive was the only complete record I had of my own threads. You should be able to apply it to any thread on the forums, I'm pretty sure.

J-Ru you did lets plays whaaaaa

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah, the paywall and the publicly viewable banlist and rapsheets are what keeps this place different from everywhere else.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rarity posted:

You'd probably have to write a quickie script to do it due to being paywalled, but it's not particularly difficult - each post is in its own <table> element, you can get a username out of the <dt class="author"> of the <td class="userinfo"> element and then the post body out of the <td class="postbody"> element.

It's just a case of putting a couple hours in to properly script logging into SA and crawling each page of a thread getting the information out of those elements.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I want to believe in the dream that the community will rally to preserve some version of its dead gay dream that is free of the influence of its lovely founder, but perhaps as a result of national and global political circumstances regressing over the course of my entire lifetime, I am not terribly optimistic this will happen. So unless there is some very rapid developments/new informstion by this afternoon or tomorrow morning I will most likely be posting a banme. The sun has set on the Lowtax Empire.

In the meantime please send me a dm if you want or email me at my username with an 07 at the end of it at gmail dot com, the webs premier free email service. Did you know I have had that email since it was invite only? What a wild and crazy time!

It has been an honor posting with you, gentlegoons. I have enjoyed some of it, and tolerated the rest. I am gratedul I settled on FI for the peak and twilight of my posting career, as this has truly been the least racist and only middlest horniest place to discuss gay skinheas fighting in the world.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Brut posted:

It's just IRC that supports embeds. A discord server is an IRC server, the userlist is on the right, just like in your typical IRC client and is usually arranged in order of server powers, just like IRC, channels start with a # and don't loving support spaces just like IRC. Aside from the embeds, the other benefit over IRC is that everything is logged server-side and is available for ever, regardless of whether or not you were in the channel when it was posted, as long as you currently have permission to be there, so you can look at a discord channel and scroll all the way up to the beginning and read everything, or search for what you need with a fairly robust search function that lets you filter by user/channel/date range etc.

You can also do poo poo like "connect" your other accounts to your Discord account such that it enables people clicking on your Discord profile and seeing your Twitch/Twitter/XBL/PSN/Steam name and such, this also allows you to automatically be granted permission to be in certain servers and/or channels based on subscribing (paying money) to a Twitch channel, which is a pretty common usage, over 90% of the Discord servers I'm in are linked to Twitch channels.

Until today I've been avoiding joining the various discord servers that were posted here as I believed people were primarily going there to avoid being subject to the SA rules (aka, to be lovely people), but obviously the situation is now changed so I'm gonna pop in to the one(s?) posted recently.

Feel free to reach out to me on any platform if you have any other kind of questions in terms of "how the gently caress does Discord work" or whatever, it's the least I can contribute.

I like forums, this loving sucks.

I think I get it. It's been so long since I used IRC. I take it not everybody can just make a channel whenever they feel like it?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

As far as I'm aware only the people running the site can do this though? Or is there a tool there anyone can use?

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Jerusalem posted:

JRu just want to say that I stumbled upon your Scotsman in Egypt LP on the archive waaaaay back and it was one of the main reasons I joined SA, so thanks.

Man this really feels like the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. I was holding up with all the other poo poo in 2020, but between all the poo poo that’s coming out in wrestling and now potentially losing the only online community I’ve actually felt a part of I’m reaching my breaking point. :smith:

sorry to get all sadbrains, and I know that it’s selfish to want the forums to survive if it means supporting an abuser. I just wish it didn’t have to be this way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Insertnamehere31 posted:

JRu just want to say that I stumbled upon your Scotsman in Egypt LP on the archive waaaaay back and it was one of the main reasons I joined SA, so thanks.

Man this really feels like the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. I was holding up with all the other poo poo in 2020, but between all the poo poo that’s coming out in wrestling and now potentially losing the only online community I’ve actually felt a part of I’m reaching my breaking point. :smith:

sorry to get all sadbrains, and I know that it’s selfish to want the forums to survive if it means supporting an abuser. I just wish it didn’t have to be this way.

This is basically where I'm at as well :(

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Crapple! posted:

I think I get it. It's been so long since I used IRC. I take it not everybody can just make a channel whenever they feel like it?

Right, you would need the correct permissions on a server to create a channel. On the flip side, you can create your own server for free and use that to dick around in or whatever, since they're all just hosted on Discord's hardware...until we find out the founder of Discord is some kind of shitbag too or something, gently caress, I just made myself sadder.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm a pretty late revert to the forums, having come back here in December of 2019 and focused almost exclusively on the wrestling subforum. By some distance it's been the best and most inclusive forums experience I've had, and even when drama erupts it feels like people usually try and get through it. I'd hate to lose this.

On the other hand, I agree with what people have said about lifeboat forums usually falling apart or becoming nothing but cliques. The rest of SA is what makes this forum interesting as there's circulation of people. There's a joy to helping foster someone's new enthusiasm for wrestling and you don't get that with a walled garden forum.

For now I think the only thing I can do is to hold steady, hope this blows over or reaches a new normal, and be ready to move if it looks like the forums are doomed.

It sucks, but these days everything sucks.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm just loving so depressed about all of this I can't stop thinking about it holy loving poo poo.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Rarity posted:

People are looking into this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bluedeanie posted:

It has been an honor posting with you, gentlegoons. I have enjoyed some of it, and tolerated the rest. I am gratedul I settled on FI for the peak and twilight of my posting career, as this has truly been the least racist and only middlest horniest place to discuss gay skinheas fighting in the world.

I hope things work out fine and we can all stick around together, you're a great poster and made jumping into the MMA threads a hell of a lot easier for me.

Rarity posted:

As far as I'm aware only the people running the site can do this though? Or is there a tool there anyone can use?

It's a long time ago, but I'm sure I recall being given a tool to do it... but it was also early days for the LP subforum (Scotsman in Egypt actually started in the Games Subforum proper) so it might have gotten locked down a lot tighter since then.

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I just wish it didn’t have to be this way.

Absolutely, and I still hold out hope that something is going to work out okay, for you, me and all of us.

I gotta log off, take a break and cool my head a little. I highly advise anybody else feeling really overwhelmed by all this do the same.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The LP Archive has changed ownership since then and their system is completely different from what it was in 2007. The archiving process is done entirely on that end now after you submit an archival request, and it's only for LP content.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 24, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

J-Ru if you step down as mod I vote for Rarity as your replacement (if she wants to do it, obviously.)

I hope this place doesn't die, because I don't like Discord at all, but at the same time I don't want to post on a forum owned by a domestic abuser :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dell_Zincht posted:

J-Ru if you step down as mod I vote for Rarity as your replacement (if she wants to do it, obviously.)
]

Oh gently caress no

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rarity posted:

Oh gently caress no

I have faith in you!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
This FIGHT ISLAND is more real than the UFC’s stupid Abi Dhabi BS.

I’m gonna miss it, unless the outcome is the “kick out the absentee landlord and give the keys to the residents” option.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dell_Zincht posted:

I have faith in you!

Realtalk, I don't ever want to be mod because a) I don't have the time, b) mod culture on this site sucks and c) I'm not mature enough for the responsibility. Thanks for thinking of me though.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I guess I'm just going to ride this one out and ignore the drama because wrestling already has me with more than enough of my fill of people working out their messy private lives in public. Uh, I guess if you want my discord send me a or let me know. I'll join your community if you have the Wednesday night frogs.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Having the paywall to entry is a part of what makes SA worth using but also boy does it ever loving suck when you're poor.

Itch.io (indie game market) has this community edition concept where you add a free copy of the game for every copy sold; people who’re broke can get a community copy for free on the honor system. Obviously abusable but maybe worth a try.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Lid posted:

J-Ru you did lets plays whaaaaa

A gah-lah bala to you too, laddie.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Venomous posted:

Casual reminder that there's already a discord! https://discord.gg/w9pwfu

Thanks for this

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend
Hope that a new forum pops up to migrate to, it's nice to have focused topic threads and being able to catch up easily on it. Discord seems too general

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah, maybe get a closed registration done with current goons and then flip the switch to add a paywall.

I'll probably never used Discord but I'll join the channel nonetheless. I've tried being in a couple of those things and it's just not an enjoyable experience. I'm in Slack all day for work, I don't need a different version of Slack for anything else in my life.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I have been here since 2002. Dear lord.

Honestly I hate discord. Plus, this place I can get all my cool zone news, talk about canada, keep up on the terriblenes of the entertainment and comic industries, see how messed up we are with climate change, read, listen and learn about the experiences of all sorts of people, poo poo post in wrestling forums, keep tabs on the emergency broadcast roleplayers and look at cute cat pictures.
Where else am I going to be able to do all that? Join 15 discord servers and try to scroll and find good information every day?

I dunno. People probably aren't going to miss me but I am not sure how a transfer to somewhere else would work for me.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
In my opinion Discord is an excellent platform that is in no way a replacement for a forum.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

SalTheBard posted:

I've been around SA for 20ish years. Not many things in my life have lasted 20 years. Whatever happens, happens. I've loved SA and as dumb as it sounds it's made me a better person.

:same:

I mostly lurk, sometimes post, but especially since 2011 I’ve been on Punchsport Pagoda Rowdy Ringsports FIGHT ISLAND just about every day. It would be an absolute shame to lose all of you and the dead gay forum we all love/hate but hopefully there’s either a good resolution (Lowtax sells, alternate forum somewhere else, etc) or at least we all get to post a little while longer before it all goes belly-up.

Also, if this be the end:
https://youtu.be/4NBVn6Ns84I

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

El Generico posted:

In my opinion Discord is an excellent platform that is in no way a replacement for a forum.

Agreed.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Breaking my self imposed posting hiatus to say that those wanting a new forum will probably have to chip in to cover the costs. A license for Xenforo is $160 (+$55 a year for updates), and in order to set up a paywall, an additional $75 for that functionality (not counting the $49.95/yr update cost). So the startup cost just for the licenses would be $235 or so. That's not factoring in hosting or a custom theme, which would increase the cost.

I picked Xenforo since its the most popular forum software out there these days, and also one of the most affordable options with the best support/functionality.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DarkstarIV posted:

Breaking my self imposed posting hiatus to say that those wanting a new forum will probably have to chip in to cover the costs. A license for Xenforo is $160 (+$55 a year for updates), and in order to set up a paywall, an additional $75 for that functionality (not counting the $49.95/yr update cost). So the startup cost just for the licenses would be $235 or so. That's not factoring in hosting or a custom theme, which would increase the cost.

I picked Xenforo since its the most popular forum software out there these days, and also one of the most affordable options with the best support/functionality.

Hi Darkstar, I'm glad that you survived Charlotte's 2020 run