Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

T-man posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

This is a big dilemma for me. The forums have been dying for ages and Lowtax certainly does not deserve my money, but I also feel like reading the forums contributes to my mental wellbeing and no where else on the internet offers this type of discussion.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Gobbeldygook posted:

Earth has 30 billion people, so land is in short supply. Holden's eight parent's formed their polycule so they could get 22 acres of land.

The show/books talk about land shortages, but it doesn't add up. If you took 30 billion people and spread them evenly over just the United States, the population density would be about a third of present-day New York City's population density. And the US is only about 6% of (present-day) world landmass.

Edit: well, poo poo. Didn't notice that there was another page. Wasn't trying to ignore that post, goddamn.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 24, 2020

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

The show/books talk about land shortages, but it doesn't add up. If you took 30 billion people and spread them evenly over just the United States, the population density would be about a third of present-day New York City's population density. And the US is only about 6% of (present-day) world landmass.

Edit: well, poo poo. Didn't notice that there was another page. Wasn't trying to ignore that post, goddamn.

I wonder if the population density is much worse in the Expanse because so much of the Earth is uninhabitable. That said they do reference Afghanistan at one point I believe.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TommyGun85 posted:

you should try to avoid spoliers like this since the show has re arranged the book timeline and S5 may show this.

The show is well beyond this point though. Technically speaking we are kind of into the first 1/4 of Book 5 already.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

T-man posted:

what does that have to do with the price of tea on ceres

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

PriorMarcus posted:

This is a big dilemma for me. The forums have been dying for ages and Lowtax certainly does not deserve my money, but I also feel like reading the forums contributes to my mental wellbeing and no where else on the internet offers this type of discussion.
This is where I'm at too. Very pissed 2020 is coming for one of my remaining happy places. OTOH, I'm not currently being abused by my partner, so I've got it pretty good all things considered.

Currently taking a stance of "cancel my Patreon sub, but keep reading the forums and costing Lowtax hosting money" but it's a fluid situation.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

bitprophet posted:

This is where I'm at too. Very pissed 2020 is coming for one of my remaining happy places. OTOH, I'm not currently being abused by my partner, so I've got it pretty good all things considered.

Currently taking a stance of "cancel my Patreon sub, but keep reading the forums and costing Lowtax hosting money" but it's a fluid situation.

Bringing this back around to the Expanse its blowing up on social media that Cas Anvar (Alex) is a sexual predator from his days in the Assassins Creed franchise. I assume we will be getting a new Alex for Season Six (five is filmed and completed)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Bringing this back around to the Expanse its blowing up on social media that Cas Anvar (Alex) is a sexual predator from his days in the Assassins Creed franchise. I assume we will be getting a new Alex for Season Six (five is filmed and completed)

I had heard rumblings of that before but it never really went anywhere. What a dick.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, it isn't cool stuff, here's a twitter thread about it. CW: sexual abuse

https://twitter.com/Lorie_O/status/1275460063327481858

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well, that's a real loving shame. He's always seemed very upbeat and active in the community, engaging on the subreddit pretty often. With all the other call-outs like Chris Avellone and Max Temkin, and now the potential for SA to go poof, the hobbies that I usually use to escape the bad news for a bit have become the bad news themselves :smith:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

404notfound posted:

Well, that's a real loving shame. He's always seemed very upbeat and active in the community, engaging on the subreddit pretty often. With all the other call-outs like Chris Avellone and Max Temkin, and now the potential for SA to go poof, the hobbies that I usually use to escape the bad news for a bit have become the bad news themselves :smith:

Yeah, a huge letdown. I think I'm going to wait to tell my partner till we're finished with our watching of the show, it's like what she looks forward to when she gets back from work :smith:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

404notfound posted:

He pretty much organised the campaign that saved the show from the production side of it. Its nice to see tho, if you look up the screamingfirehawks hashtag that the replies are universally positive and supportive of the victims.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, it isn't cool stuff, here's a twitter thread about it. CW: sexual abuse

https://twitter.com/Lorie_O/status/1275460063327481858

Oh god loving dammit

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Yea that is hosed up, especially given the persona Cas puts forward (insofar as one is able to separate the actor from the role). Though of course, SO many predators have exactly that kind of quality publicly and then turn out to be absolute turds behind a closed door.

And the Avellone thing. Gosh. I just can't wait to see how the world looks by the weekend, the way this week's been on.

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE I finished unpacking my books after a move and just remembered how the first four books' spines are all

LEVAITHAN WAKES
CALIBAN'S WAR
ABADDON'S GATE
JAMES S.A. COREY

...because I no longer have my copy of JAMES S.A. COREY, opting to ditch it when I made the switch to ebooks. But I kept the first three!

Wonder if there will be any reprintings of the whole thing after 9 is out, with a consistent treatment.

EDIT: bah, "wrong" thread. Apologies if I spoiled anyone just getting into physical copies of the books :v:

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 25, 2020

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Could they just write him out and parse out his plot points to different characters? Not sure how essential Alex is in the grand scheme.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Here we go, I knew I had seen something before. It went uncommented upon at the time. From S3 thread:

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i've heard from con girls i know that he's kind of a creep

anyhow let's go draomi

Direct link in case this doesn't work: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851148&pagenumber=147&perpage=40#post

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Normy posted:

Could they just write him out and parse out his plot points to different characters? Not sure how essential Alex is in the grand scheme.

He's a main character, he'll have to be recast.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
god dammit

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Assaulting your fans at geek conventions is some welwala poo poo

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Season 6 recast seems like a given, but I have to wonder what they'll do about season 5 which has already been filmed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I can't imagine they're going to redo the entire season. Maybe minimize his scenes as much as possible with what material they have and have a "yeah hey we know, but we already filmed the whole season so :shrug:" message.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Or they will hope it blows over and do nothing.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Cojawfee posted:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
we got a minute before season 5 airs so I suspect they will do just that. give him a stern talking to and then hope he shapes up and everyone forgets about it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Jeff Bezos special investigation firm has investigated and found no wrong doing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Just CGI a helmet onto him for every scene and redub his lines

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Cojawfee posted:

Unlikely.

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/1275905666259902464?s=20

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It's worth pointing out that at the same time as this message they also posted a retweet saying they stand in solidarity with all victims of sexual harassment.

Also, let's be honest, for as good as Cas was in the role Alex is easily the most expendable and replaceable member of the crew.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Guess I may just end up going to the books. What a loving rear end in a top hat.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Milkshake Duck strikes again

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Replace Alex with Shed and say it's a parallel universe

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Have Drummer say: "Hey guys, I decided I was tired of being stuck on a station and learnt to fly a ship. Sign me up!"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Have bobbie learn to fly the ship. She likes to peel the paint already.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I went on the subreddit's Discord and a lot of the guys that were involved in the 'Save The Expanse' project say that they always hated Cas and that he's full of poo poo and had very little to do with saving the show except being loud on social media. They had a hard time working with him and he would explode at them a lot if they tried to do something he didn't like.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

CPColin posted:

Replace Alex with Maneo and say it's a parallel universe

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

It's worth pointing out that at the same time as this message they also posted a retweet saying they stand in solidarity with all victims of sexual harassment.

Also, let's be honest, for as good as Cas was in the role Alex is easily the most expendable and replaceable member of the crew.

Yeah, although I'm a big fan of him I'd be a lot more upset to lose one of the other main characters.

Get loving Miller to fly the ship.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

bring back the guy whos head got blown off on the donnager

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, just bring him back, don't even try to explain it. "hey, it's shed!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012