Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

DoctaFun posted:

Gotta be Sergio, I don’t know a single person who really appreciates his greatness.

He comes across pretty lazy at times but he also had the issue of his prime years being during tiger woods prime of terror so there's plenty of golfers from that time who'd have a couple of majors (more than just the masters anyway for sergio) or at least more tournament wins to their name so their stats look better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah there were more than a few times Sergio had fantastic 1st through 3rd rounds only to get absolutely torched by Tiger at the peak of his powers on Sunday.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sorry for the FB link but Bubba and Wesley Bryant were paired up this weekend and this is the kinda stuff we want to hear during a round!

https://www.facebook.com/PGATour/videos/190500255688332/

Also, please pair Bubba and Wesley up more!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Sorry for the FB link but Bubba and Wesley Bryant were paired up this weekend and this is the kinda stuff we want to hear during a round!

https://www.facebook.com/PGATour/videos/190500255688332/

Also, please pair Bubba and Wesley up more!

Pro click. I'd play with those guys any time.

Today, I had a good score. And, I found my grove with my wedges, spinning them back all day...if only I'd been hitting past the hole, they'd have been perfect.

575 yard par 5 number 9. 133 yards off the tee, almost missed the ball I topped it so bad. Awkward lie, well beneath my feet (but, fairway), now just 440 from the green, manage decent contact with hybrid, 190 yards forward about 30 yards total left to right, to the right rough. 250 to the pin, knock my 3w to 15 feet for a good 2 putt par in regulation. The score card does not reflect how loving great that par felt.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Shrapnig posted:

Kameh, his name is Kameh

:thatsthejoke:

I played last Friday and sucked balls. Went from a legit 69 two weeks ago to a ‘not scoreable’ as I pounded five balls OB off the tee on one hole and had to just move along as there were groups waiting on us.

Back to the drawing board!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DoctaFun posted:

:thatsthejoke:

I played last Friday and sucked balls. Went from a legit 69 two weeks ago to a ‘not scoreable’ as I pounded five balls OB off the tee on one hole and had to just move along as there were groups waiting on us.

Back to the drawing board!

Does your course have the new local rule you can go to point crossed line OB and take a 2 stroke penalty?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ryder cup gonna be moved to 2021 :(

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/re...ampaign=hitlist

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

getting my first 9 holes in this evening. I'm sure i'll suck but man it'll be good just to get out there again.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

getting my first 9 holes in this evening. I'm sure i'll suck but man it'll be good just to get out there again.

I'm going to take the over. I think you'll play and score surprisingly well. Keep conservative and I think you'll be fine.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It looks like I've been dropping wrong. When I lose my ball or it goes OB I usually drop it in the rough around where I thought it went out, which is usually in the trees or some other crap. Then I hit a terrible shot from a bad lie there to only compound my misery and I end up making a 9 or something on the hole. I saw this yesterday:

Didn't realize I could have been dropping it at the edge of the fairway this whole time, or even into it with the two club-length relief.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

AndrewP posted:

Didn't realize I could have been dropping it at the edge of the fairway this whole time, or even into it with the two club-length relief.

No you can't drop it in the fairway, you drop it at "C". So you get to drop it in a place that gives you a better shot for a 2 stroke penalty than say dropping 2 club lengths from the tree it bounced off of OB for a 1 stroke penalty, then it takes you 3 shots to blade it out of the woods to the fairway.

The 2 club lengths in the diagram are to determine the width of the drop area.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Douchebag posted:

No you can't drop it in the fairway, you drop it at "C". So you get to drop it in a place that gives you a better shot for a 2 stroke penalty than say dropping 2 club lengths from the tree it bounced off of OB for a 1 stroke penalty, then it takes you 3 shots to blade it out of the woods to the fairway.

The 2 club lengths in the diagram are to determine the width of the drop area.

No, you can actually drop in the fairway

https://golf.com/instruction/rules/new-stroke-distance-local-rule-save-strokes/

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Well poo poo! I took that diagram literally as you have to drop it at "C". Like figure out A and B and the you drop in that dumb cone. That video explains it much better. Sorry for my dumbness then!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
New putter from Mattfl showed up today! It’s already dropped multiple points from my handicap.

Will report back with the first round report soon!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
This poo poo is too complicated, I always just take a provisional if the shot looks suspect.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

daslog posted:

While I agree that lessons are the way to go, and I go to lessons all the time, I'm finding they don't actually help my score that much. I know my ball striking is better, but my scores haven't really improved much. I'm still a 20 handicap (I don't take mulligans or drops without taking a 2 stroke penalty).

So yesterday I tied by best round ever with an 88. (A true 88, no mulligans or any nonsense).

Lessons do payoff, but the key was better putting and keeping the ball in play.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What’s the best way to work on ball striking?

I played golf when I was young and had a pretty good game, but then I didn’t play for 10+ years. I’m getting back into it and I’m wildly inconsistent. I’ll hit a beautiful 200 yard shot onto the green one hole, then duff the same shot 50 yards the next.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Always helps me to shorten your back swing and slow down. You're likely swinging faster than you think you are. Just think about letting the club do the work.

Got 8 holes in because there was an outing going on and I'm surprised how little I lost over the last 11 months. I still duffed a few shots and clearly am out of rhythm but to get back out there felt pretty good.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Cam Champ and Graeme (on account of his caddie testing positive) are WDs this week for COVID. Kinda wonder how long they try to keep this up.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anno posted:

Cam Champ and Graeme (on account of his caddie testing positive) are WDs this week for COVID. Kinda wonder how long they try to keep this up.

About the time it happens to a top 10 player I imagine.

Can you imagine the poo poo storm if someone like Tiger/Justin/Phil/Brooks pops positive the week of the PGA Championship.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So uh, does anyone else think we might should start a Goon Golf discord incase this place goes tits up?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was just gonna come in and say the NLU forums seem pretty decent if you want golf chat when this place explodes.

nerox
May 20, 2001

mattfl posted:

So uh, does anyone else think we might should start a Goon Golf discord incase this place goes tits up?

Unfortunately, this thread is not super active and a goon golf discord might initially have some activity, but I am afraid it would slowly just die off as people stop looking at it and there not being any way to actually bring new people into the discord.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Come to the NLU forums, and help me make it a little less chuddy, and a little less boomer

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

Come to the NLU forums, and help me make it a little less chuddy, and a little less boomer

I joined, and I already hate the layout lol

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

mattfl posted:

I joined, and I already hate the layout lol

I did at first too, but I got used to it pretty quickly and then I really liked how smooth it is to move around threads.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/report-brooks-koepka-withdraws-travelers-after-caddie-tests-positive-covid-19?utm-tags=golf1305000

FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
That sucks. 2020 is so stupid.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

PGA Commish has a news conf scheduled for 2pm est today.

Have a feeling this tourney is getting cancelled.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It’d be pretty nuts not to. What’s there to gain at this point? You already acted slowly the first time around.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I fear they need to just take the L and announce a cancellation for the rest of the year. I don't see this getting better any time soon.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just cancel the whole season and do only Wild World of Sports type 1v1 or 4 man ball

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Shot a pretty decent 86 today on an easy mountain course. No need to use driver with elevation. Thanks for the chipping suggestions. I have not posted much over the years but I have really enjoyed following everyone's golf adventures.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, the golf channel, for the second day in a row, has the final round of an LPGA tournament. Last year yesterday, 2018 today. There is a live tournament going on right now, and some great golf, but not on the golf channel.

I love me some LPGA action, but not 2 year old tournament over current golf. Jesus.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Greater Hartford Open is live today at 3PM

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I'd love to understand why coverage starts so late in the day on a random weekday round.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Popero posted:

I'd love to understand why coverage starts so late in the day on a random weekday round.

Guessing they wouldn't get nearly enough people watching early groups to be worth the expense. Live TV isn't cheap.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Phil, Rory and Bryson an early group with stay at home audience larger right now? I think they're underestimating their audience.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

It's a licensing issue. Golf channel doesn't own the rights. That's why we get lame 2 loving hour golf pregame with Brandle Chamblee instead of them airing golf. You have to pay for the PGA streaming service to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Phil, Rory and Bryson an early group with stay at home audience larger right now? I think they're underestimating their audience.

It may be bigger than usual but you're still hoping that's more than enough to cover the extra time of paying producers, camera ops, announcers, satellite trucks & systems, broadcast networks, and tech crews to go all day instead of just a 2 or 3 hour window. Even if the people themselves may not be a major cost, the equipment and broadcast tech itself drat sure is.

Plus I doubt the advertisers think it's all that big either. There's a reason only the majors get all-day coverage, and even some of that just gets tossed to a webstream.

E: and yeah licensing, holy hell how'd i forget that