Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Alchenar posted:

lol it's so maximum grognard developer to decide that 15 years after DEFCON was a low-key hit, they're going to remake the game except add a dozen layers of complexity: https://www.slitherine.com/game/icbm

gently caress it I’m gonna buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So apparently UA: Dreadnought will be hitting Steam in early August, with the beta campaign to follow 5-6 months after that.

Full complete game sounds like it'll be out sometime next summer.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 21, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Glad to see they aren't rushing it; that's a full year on campaign development. It's going to be $35 when it hits earl access, and at that point it'll be worth it just for the standalone fights.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Hopefully the campaign is good and they don't murder the game like the Naval Action devs did.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Aren't they the same devs?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Alchenar posted:

lol it's so maximum grognard developer to decide that 15 years after DEFCON was a low-key hit, they're going to remake the game except add a dozen layers of complexity: https://www.slitherine.com/game/icbm

So, anyone up to organise a MP game of defcon?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So I've hit a bit of a hurdle with my Armored Brigade mod. The devs mentioned on the Steam forums that apparently the SPMBT guys have complained in the past when people make graphics based off their sprites for mods (a few people did something similar back when AB was freeware) so they'd rather I not put it on the Workshop in its current state.

So I've begun the long, painstaking process of learning GIMP and recreating everything using AB sprites as a base:

Takes a hell of a lot longer and I have no idea yet how I'll do some of the end of WW2 vehicles I've got in there but, I do have to admit it looks nicer. Hopefully will have an early version up on the workshop in a week or two. It's just going to be the what-if factions/base game factions with extended timelines from here on in, since someone else has already done Egypt/Israel/Japan better than I ever could anyway.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 22, 2020

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Anyone here tried Steel Gear? I'd never heard of it before this week's Flare Path. It looks like an at least half-baked tank sim at the moment with the basics to plausibly call it a "game" and not an early access tech demo that promises a lot. Cost of admission is only $20 but the dev is shutting down early access in a week due to weirdness with Spanish tax law.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So I've hit a bit of a hurdle with my Armored Brigade mod. The devs mentioned on the Steam forums that apparently the SPMBT guys have complained in the past when people make graphics based off their sprites for mods (a few people did something similar back when AB was freeware) so they'd rather I not put it on the Workshop in its current state.

So I've begun the long, painstaking process of learning GIMP and recreating everything using AB sprites as a base:

Takes a hell of a lot longer and I have no idea yet how I'll do some of the end of WW2 vehicles I've got in there but, I do have to admit it looks nicer. Hopefully will have an early version up on the workshop in a week or two. It's just going to be the what-if factions/base game factions with extended timelines from here on in, since someone else has already done Egypt/Israel/Japan better than I ever could anyway.

I recognise the m28, Chaffee and an M103, but what’s that in the top left? An m29?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

I recognise the m28, Chaffee and an M103, but what’s that in the top left? An m29?

Actually the top right is a T95E1. I'm still tweaking the turret a bit as it's seems a bit too big right now. One thing that's a real pain with sprite editing in AB is you can't see any preview of your work in the editor. You have to quit, load up a battle, inspect poo poo in game, then adjust.

Bottom right is actually the proposed M38 Wolfhound armored car with the Chaffee turret.

Top left is a T57 Heavy tank. Basically a side development of the M103 with an oscillating turret, autoloader, and a laughably small ammunition supply. It's hilarious. Similar gun to the M103 but it had a theoretical fire rate of 30 rounds per minute (I gave it like 4 seconds between shots to account for aiming and whatnot). A platoon can absolutely annihilate a heavy tank push if placed correctly but if you don't manage what they're firing at carefully, they'll vomit all 18 rounds at some PT-76s before you can tell them to stop and then you're just left with a very expensive paperweight :v:

Funny story. I implemented the XM701 as an APC, then as I started to create A1/A2 versions later in the timeline to adjust for new technologies and threats, I realized I accidentally created the Bradley.

It's me, I'm the Pentagon Wars :saddowns:

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 22, 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Liking Regiments demo so far but hope the SP content is sufficent

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So, uh. We got a Grog discord?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
https://discord.gg/GRUU6HZ

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Since it hasn’t been posted in here yet: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

Nobody knows what might happen, so if you’re not on one of the grog Discords now’s the time. Make sure you have some kind of external connection to the rest of us.

Fray fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 24, 2020

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Good lord there are a lot of channels in the discord.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

A ton of us are on this Discord as well: https://discord.gg/w7ypcbZ

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Minenfeld! posted:

Good lord there are a lot of channels in the discord.

Yeah, frantically diving into every thread I follow, snapping up new discord links.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

sum posted:

Anyone here tried Steel Gear? I'd never heard of it before this week's Flare Path. It looks like an at least half-baked tank sim at the moment with the basics to plausibly call it a "game" and not an early access tech demo that promises a lot. Cost of admission is only $20 but the dev is shutting down early access in a week due to weirdness with Spanish tax law.

Well might as well get my review in before the forums explode: it's, uh, alright. Not really a game at the moment; you can drive around in multiplayer and shoot stuff but I couldn't really imagine enjoying that for more than an hour or two with how sparse the gameplay is currently. The two tanks in the game are lovingly modeled however, and basically every real life switch and doo-dad is modeled and interactable, so you can have fun bopping the gunner's vision port open and closed or whatever.

The biggest impediment to me enjoying it so far is the apparent lack of hotkeys for tank operation. To traverse the turret and fire, you literally have to leave the gunsight, click on turret controls until you get it where you want (all the while having to flip back to the sight to make fine corrections), and once you have the drat thing pointed where you want to you have to leave the sight again to manually press the trigger. On the Pz IV it's even possible for the trigger to be an un-clickable spot depending on the angle of the turret. It's so baffling that I'm like 50% sure I'm just missing something, but there's nothing editable in the controls menu and it's not in the tutorial or online FAQ. It would be a little less galling if the AI gunner wasn't such a piss-poor shot (that said, playing as tank commander, directing fire, observing the fall of shot and issuing corrections is pretty fun, but unfortunately the gunners are pretty incorrigible).

Also, the development is heavily oriented around multiplayer. The dev is apparently envisioning the game as like World of Tanks But Realistic, and the only single player currently planned is a tutorial, which is a shame. This seems like it's a little ambitious for a single developer, but he seems to have an at least semi-plausible timeline and he's already implemented quite a lot, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think he might deliver half of what he's promising in the coming few years. He's already been plugging away for three years so he's definitely committed.

My final verdict is that if you really like tank sims and/or you wanna support hard-working grog devs it's worth the $20. As it is it's a passable Stalingrad-themed sandbox where you can punch holes through meticulously modeled T-34s to your heart's content, and, who knows, it might actually turn into something greater in a few years. If you want an actual game for your money than sit it out and see if it turns into something or just evaporates.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DO the Order of battle WW2 campaigns go on discount regularly? I want to get them all but the price is a bit too much.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Mans posted:

DO the Order of battle WW2 campaigns go on discount regularly? I want to get them all but the price is a bit too much.

Yeah either steam or Matrix have then on sale a few times a year. I've picked up most of the DLCs for $7-$9 I think

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Steam sale is supposedly starting in like 6 hours, maybe you'll get lucky?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Drone posted:

Steam sale is supposedly starting in like 6 hours, maybe you'll get lucky?

Oh drat that's today... Panzer Corp 2 is adding a new Spanish Civil War DLC soon, which is a subject you rarely see in wargames, so I'll probably pick that up if it's on sale.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Oh drat that's today... Panzer Corp 2 is adding a new Spanish Civil War DLC soon, which is a subject you rarely see in wargames, so I'll probably pick that up if it's on sale.

It actually looks really good going from the dev posts. I also love opportunities to use late 20's - early 30's equipment. We need more alt-history games set in that period.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Mans posted:

Yes, they go on deep discount at least twice a year, probably more. Never buy them full price unless you can’t wait.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And looks like they're all roughly 60% off right now!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Have there been any developments in that U-Boat game recently? I put a few hours into it a few months ago and enjoyed it but put it down when I felt like I had seen most of the content then available. I haven't been able to find any dev blogs or anything from googling.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bold Robot posted:

Have there been any developments in that U-Boat game recently? I put a few hours into it a few months ago and enjoyed it but put it down when I felt like I had seen most of the content then available. I haven't been able to find any dev blogs or anything from googling.

They did a major update a couple of weeks ago, a save-game breaker.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/494840/announcements/detail/2391922243897710183

A bunch of ships, including tankers.
New travel system
Wolfpacks
Shifts, schedules, and priorities for crew management
Proper convoy formations

I'm still feeling out the new crew management stuff and looking for useful mods to get back into it. This update looks like the beginning of the end for Early Access.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I hope the new travel system lets you dock with the port effortlessly instead of careening into it at 3x speed and sliding around.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Stairmaster posted:

I hope the new travel system lets you dock with the port effortlessly instead of careening into it at 3x speed and sliding around.

Same, this might actually be make or break for whether I try this update or wait for another one. The way docking works is awful.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

This kinda seems like the right thread to ask in. I'm looking for a game I saw on Steam and apparently didn't put on my wishlist.

It was a fairly hardcore looking u-boat style game, in that it was all played from inside the vessel through control panels and so on with few ways to look 'outside' as it were. Except, you were on a spaceship. I think it was of the EV:Nova style where you could choose combat or trading. I know that's pretty vague, but can anyone point me in the right direction?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Objects in Space?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think you’re talking about Objects in Space.

E: beaten to it

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Welp, I grabbed up some of the expansions, and I'm about to dive back into Graviteam Tactics, having not played it since the name change. Wish me luck!

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Steam sale is underway and Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa is 70% off right now. Some recent posts in this thread made it look interesting. At that price, I'll check it out...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Carbolic posted:

Steam sale is underway and Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa is 70% off right now. Some recent posts in this thread made it look interesting. At that price, I'll check it out...

It's a really great game

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s very good

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Which Graviteam game is the one to buy?

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

It's a really great game

I should be working right now so I bought, poked around for 5 minutes, and will try to get into it over the weekend. The only snag is it's Windows only and the only friend I have who might conceivably play with me has a Mac. The true grog experience: buying cool-looking games you will never play with another human being.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Which Graviteam game is the one to buy?

Mius Front is good. The DLCs are just new scenario campaigns.

There is also Tunisia 1943, it's fine but I think Mius Front is a better game unless you're really interested in North Africa theater.

Popete fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Carbolic posted:

Thanks for the tip, I may have to finally pick this one up.