Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
There are only like 10ish people (if that many) who regularly post in the boxing thread which is all I do here, but should all of this disappear suddenly I'd like you guys to know it was fun bullshitting about things when I stopped by every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

DarkstarIV posted:

Breaking my self imposed posting hiatus to say that those wanting a new forum will probably have to chip in to cover the costs. A license for Xenforo is $160 (+$55 a year for updates), and in order to set up a paywall, an additional $75 for that functionality (not counting the $49.95/yr update cost). So the startup cost just for the licenses would be $235 or so. That's not factoring in hosting or a custom theme, which would increase the cost.

I picked Xenforo since its the most popular forum software out there these days, and also one of the most affordable options with the best support/functionality.

I was looking at vBulletin, since it's the software SA is based on, their cloud service starts at $15/month: https://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbulletin-cloud

Of course you could use myBB and host it on a $5/month DigitalOcean droplet, but that would be less like what goons are used to.

You could do it for free on ProBoards but that'd be pretty lame.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

In almost every instance of a forum shutting down because of management I've personally experienced, off-shoot forums are not very successful at all. You get about a tenth of the posters that were around before at best, and after that tapers off you end up with just a handful of small cliqs of friends and rarely any new posters.

The two best solutions seem to be Discord or linking our Twitter socials to keep up with people, maybe a Twitter List like the old #tWo used to have (And I think is still linked in the OP of the Social Media thread but severely out of date)

The big thing for a some people is going to be archiving old topics and there's handfulls of ways to do that too.

I'd love to add you folks to my twitter account - here's mine. https://twitter.com/Sherndon226

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

El Generico posted:

I was looking at vBulletin, since it's the software SA is based on, their cloud service starts at $15/month: https://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbulletin-cloud

Of course you could use myBB and host it on a $5/month DigitalOcean droplet, but that would be less like what goons are used to.

You could do it for free on ProBoards but that'd be pretty lame.

Yeah, I would avoid vBulletin like the plague these days. They are pretty much on their last legs (they've lost almost all of their market share to other premium providers due to numerous scandals and other situations). Their forum software right now could give Radium a run for its money in terms of code/optimization. Not to mention the usability of the software is awful beyond compare.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

lets all just make xangas, imo

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

Yeah, I would avoid vBulletin like the plague these days. They are pretty much on their last legs (they've lost almost all of their market share to other premium providers due to numerous scandals and other situations). Their forum software right now could give Radium a run for its money in terms of code/optimization. Not to mention the usability of the software is awful beyond compare.

Well, that sucks. It would've made things more familiar for people. I kinda like how the forums aren't modern looking with tons of useless whitespace and poo poo.

We should just post on RSPW.

EDIT: We should also have an IRC channel where you have to use Microsoft Comic Chat.

EDIT2: Don't actually go to RSPW. That's a mistake.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 24, 2020

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

If this is what kills SA, I'm out. Fragmented offsites are so loving sad. I have no idea what I'd even do on the internet without SA.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fight Island/PSP as well as the CineD Horror Thread are two places that have generally productive and non-toxic discussions about things that have really toxic fanbases elsewhere on the internet. Those are the two parts of the forum I'd really miss if SA went down.

That's not to minimize the toxicity that does seep though here in Fight Island but I think our mods are generally well intentioned and do their best. I would also like to apologize if I've ever contributed to that toxicity or made anyone uncomfortable.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

bradzilla posted:

If this is what kills SA, I'm out. Fragmented offsites are so loving sad. I have no idea what I'd even do on the internet without SA.

Same. For 15 years now I've used SA for the perfect time waster. But all things must end. Entropy is the nature of life.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

El Generico posted:

In my opinion Discord is an excellent platform that is in no way a replacement for a forum.

:agreed:

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

As a long time lurker, lack of good content provider. I really hope the board find a way to continue. Im too old now to learn how to use discord. This is the best place on the internet to get a good overview of all wrestling news.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This blows and sucks. I like Fight Island and want it to continue on. We made an MMA Discord if people wanna go there and talk MMA, Martial Arts, or just shoot the poo poo. I hope we could make a mega Fight Island discord so like, all the real fight people who watch AEW & New Japan can come bully us fake fighters from time to time.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Man, I really do not want to lose FIGHT ISLAND. I couldn't give less of a poo poo about the other subs, but this place is the only (relatively) sane place on the internet to talk about wrestling. I honestly wouldn't have grown my tastes as a fan without this place.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

bradzilla posted:

I have no idea what I'd even do on the internet without SA.

Same

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

This has been the only good place to talk about wrestling online and as someone who has mainly been lurking for a decade+ I'm gonna miss it but I also thought it was dead as a doornail when fatherdog tore poo poo up so who knows I guess sa is a cockroach

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I’m gonna be pissed if TNA outlives SA

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TNA is dead. Impact ate out its insides and wears it as a exoskeleton.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I had times when I truly loved Fight Island (and its various names over the years) and times I wasn't so fond of it, but it has been the only place I've ever considered discussing my insane muscleperson fakefight fandom. Every other wrestling forum is garbage compared to this place.

It feels a bit silly to seriouspost about an internet forum when the real world has so much going on more worthy of attention, but I've been reading the SA forums for nearly 20 years now, it's been a formative place for my sense of humor and an enormous resource for information on all sorts of topics, and with regards to wrestling I don't enjoy most of the 'alternatives.' I agree that discord is a great service that does not satisfy the purposes of a forum at all. For now I'll lurk there in hopes a new home is found, but it's still a bummer.

With wrestlers being exposed left and right as monsters, and now the latest Lowtax news on top of it, it feels like my circuses are being taken away. Pretty soon they'll come for my bread :smith:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm always out of the loop on forum events/drama. I just come to chat about video games or wrestling. I wouldn't even know about this if it wssn't brought up in the #SpeakingOut thread.

I sure hope this place doesn't die. At this point it's the oldest forum I still frequent. People always mock it for being a "dying comedy forum" but it's far and away the most active forum I belong to. It has a certainly unique culture and history that I'd miss.

And Discord really is no substitute for forums. I'm sad so many people have migrated to using Discord chat instead of message boards.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I uhh made some of the best friends of my life here in PSP. I don't wanna think of what my life would have been like the last eight years without the friends I made. If I leave here today I leave with no regrets, except that Cavauro never played Mario Kart 8 with me, or that Hulkamatt probated me for an entire day for posting the word cum.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

this sucks so loving bad, these forums are the only anime, wrestling and gaming forums not crawling with straight up neonazis and the owner who hasn't given a poo poo about it for like 10+ years ruining it for everyone is so typical.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
As a longtime lurker, I'll miss creeping over all your shoulders while you type. Godspeed.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Is there a discord list or something?

I like fight island. I love the AEW/NJPW/WWE live reaction threads and other sub forums I read too.

:smith:

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Miching Mallecho posted:

Is there a discord list or something?

I like fight island. I love the AEW/NJPW/WWE live reaction threads and other sub forums I read too.

:smith:

https://goondiscordnetwork.com/

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

As somebody who only recently started to post more I would be sad to see this place go.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Seams posted:

I’m gonna be pissed if TNA outlives SA

This is like the one thing I expected honestly

TNA will outlive all of us. online and offline

ed:

flashy_mcflash posted:

Fight Island/PSP as well as the CineD Horror Thread are two places that have generally productive and non-toxic discussions about things that have really toxic fanbases elsewhere on the internet. Those are the two parts of the forum I'd really miss if SA went down.

:same:

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 24, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only thing left after the apocalypse will be the cockroachs and TNA

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Over in CSpam they're talking about a forum that was started after Lowtax's last accusation (which I somehow heard nothing about). I've registered there pretty much sight unseen. No idea if it's actually any good. I'm only mentioning it here because if people migrate I think it would be cool for migration to occur to a single place rather than a fight island replacement and a cspam replacement and a batmans secret replacement, etc. Anyways that's breadnroses.net. This post should not be taken as a recommendation for that particular site since I don't even know if it is good. I'm just posting so the various different subgroups I look at have at least a chance of landing in the same place.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

While I enjoy posting here I know that it also contributes to a lot of my bad and unproductive tendencies. But I probably also shouldn’t pretend I’m gonna automatically get my poo poo together if I don’t have a forum to read anymore. Anyways, I’ve enjoyed the wednesdays and the frogs y’all.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
irc.synirc.net #mma everyone is invited

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Give us back the spine, lowtax.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Oh, hi, me.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Whatever the future holds, I hope mobn comes back. She got an unfair shake at the end

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Gonzo McFee posted:

Give us back the spine, lowtax.

Wasn’t there an episode of Aeon Flux like that?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I hope FatherDog is doing alright, living his best life

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
he's on twitter still and says to tell everyone this (this was a few days ago before lowtax decided to practice his backhand)

"anyway I'm 100% not going to read SA threads again but if anyone asks about me specifically, you can let them know that I occasionally miss talking with them in the PSP that was, but I don't regret seeing the back of somethingawful as a venue."

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Hellblazer187 posted:

Over in CSpam they're talking about a forum that was started after Lowtax's last accusation (which I somehow heard nothing about). I've registered there pretty much sight unseen. No idea if it's actually any good. I'm only mentioning it here because if people migrate I think it would be cool for migration to occur to a single place rather than a fight island replacement and a cspam replacement and a batmans secret replacement, etc. Anyways that's breadnroses.net. This post should not be taken as a recommendation for that particular site since I don't even know if it is good. I'm just posting so the various different subgroups I look at have at least a chance of landing in the same place.

its not good, fam

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsdQYWs3nM4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

MotU posted:

its not good, fam

dickeye’s off-site is bad?!?