Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BlackMK4 posted:

How reliable are Mazdspeed 3s? They seem disgustingly cheap for something with an LSD, turbo, and useable hatch

I have a Gen 2 and it's been perfectly reliable, but it's stock and I don't beat on it. Be wary of modded ones, or any with over 60K miles as issues with the turbo seals can crop up if they're not taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

I have a Gen 2 and it's been perfectly reliable, but it's stock and I don't beat on it. Be wary of modded ones, or any with over 60K miles as issues with the turbo seals can crop up if they're not taken care of.

Agreed, pretty sure most of the reliability issues come from morons slapping on a monster sticker and turning the boost up to 11. And also flooring it in sixth.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Unfortunately, the two local ones both replied they had offers in hand when I reached out and both sold :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Roundup Ready posted:

The grocery stores around here only have the big gently caress off upright ones that you use to clean an apartment or something. If the depot near me had any it was only like 16 bucks or something for a rental. Just kinda seeing if anyone has had experience with the hand ones I could fit in a two door back seat easily

Petsmart or Petco rents them with hand held cleaners for upholstery

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Roundup Ready posted:

More general vehicle question incoming. To offset my unemployment I started doing food/beer delivery for a local brewery. The company van wasn't starting and we were way behind, so I took an order in my gti. The loving cap blew off a growler of oatmeal stout, emptying the 64oz of beer onto the floor in my backseat. Anyone have recommendations for small, powerful carpet shampooer you can rent? My car smells like rotten soy sauce dumped into a hangover.

Tried doing some research at home depot and whatnot, but most places aren't even doing rentals right now.

See if someone you know has a Bissell Little Green Machine. We have three cats and it works really well getting puke out of the carpets in our house. Compact enough to be used easily on a car.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Thanks for the advice, I finally found one at ace hardware and went to town on it the other day. Took like three hours, but the smell is 90% gone now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you have access to an ozone generator that will probably help with any lingering odor

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I sprayed some ozium in there if that counts.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just placed my very first order to ECS Tuning

For an oil extractor and oil change kit :(

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Costco had a tire sale. Michelin PSS inbound :getin:

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
Engine on my '14 FiST just grenaded at 65k and needs to be completely replaced. Shop said it blew the head gasket and cracked the block somehow. I only brought it in because I thought I had a coolant leak. Really glad I got suckered into the aftermarket warranty.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Korbin posted:

Engine on my '14 FiST just grenaded at 65k and needs to be completely replaced. Shop said it blew the head gasket and cracked the block somehow. I only brought it in because I thought I had a coolant leak. Really glad I got suckered into the aftermarket warranty.
That's pretty surprising. FiST motors are generally regarded to be basically bulletproof below 400HP. Had you been doing anything that might risk overheating or anything like that recently or is it seeming like a random failure?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sounds like a second opinion is warranted.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

wolrah posted:

That's pretty surprising. FiST motors are generally regarded to be basically bulletproof below 400HP. Had you been doing anything that might risk overheating or anything like that recently or is it seeming like a random failure?

They do get ring land failures, most likely due to LSPI though so if that’s the case they’re easily avoidable..

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
I'm the second owner so who knows what the first guy did. Had the car since 30xxx miles so $100 for a new engine doesn't seem so bad. I'm also not sure if the car is cursed though. It's had door latches fail while driving, an inch of water in the spare tire well, had to replace the whole infotainment system, clutch master cylinder failure, and fuel pressure sensor die.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Korbin posted:

I'm the second owner so who knows what the first guy did. Had the car since 30xxx miles so $100 for a new engine doesn't seem so bad. I'm also not sure if the car is cursed though. It's had door latches fail while driving, an inch of water in the spare tire well, had to replace the whole infotainment system, clutch master cylinder failure, and fuel pressure sensor die.

Was the previous owner a guy named Theseus?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

They do get ring land failures, most likely due to LSPI though so if that’s the case they’re easily avoidable..
Yeah, it's a concern on any turbo DI engine paired with a manual trans because cylinder pressures can easily get really high if you lug the engine in boost, but it's not particularly vulnerable like the FoSTs apparently are. Basically I've never heard of FiST engine failures that didn't correspond to abuse of some sort

Korbin posted:

Holy poo poo.

I've had mine since new, driving it aggressively but not too abusively (most of the time), and at 87,000 miles my "unscheduled maintenance" list consists of the well known blend door actuator problem and a pothole taking a wheel plus a bearing. My driver's window is getting a bit sticky and sometimes reverses mid-way up so either it just needs to be lubed or I'll be replacing an actuator soon. Beyond that it's just been fluids, tires, and brakes.

Still though, if it really is a blown motor and you're getting it replaced for $100 out of pocket you definitely won on that warranty. Makes me think of when the differential seal failed on my E46 and in one shot entirely justified the Carmax warranty.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 18, 2020

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

wolrah posted:

Yeah, it's a concern on any turbo DI engine paired with a manual trans because cylinder pressures can easily get really high if you lug the engine in boost, but it's not particularly vulnerable like the FoSTs apparently are. Basically I've never heard of FiST engine failures that didn't correspond to abuse of some sort

Yeah. I mean, I consider lugging the engine to be abuse, even if the user isn’t aware of the DI quirks.. I’ve seen several ring land failures on Fiesta FB groups over the last couple of years, most of which are for “unknown” reasons (I’m guessing low RPM high load because I suspect people think that the low down torque of these engines means you can pull off an overtake from 1500RPM no worries) and there is a general knowledge within the community that it happens. I just have a policy of never loading it up heavily when it’s under 2K RPM.

One of the more recent failures was a bit different, guy had just done a bunch of upgrades including a big turbo, but the wastegate actuator broke off its mounting, meaning this dude was pushing 30ish PSI from a larger turbo through his engine every time he stepped on it. Every cylinder liner was cracked and at least one of his pistons was in a few pieces.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yeah. I mean, I consider lugging the engine to be abuse, even if the user isn’t aware of the DI quirks.. I’ve seen several ring land failures on Fiesta FB groups over the last couple of years, most of which are for “unknown” reasons (I’m guessing low RPM high load because I suspect people think that the low down torque of these engines means you can pull off an overtake from 1500RPM no worries) and there is a general knowledge within the community that it happens. I just have a policy of never loading it up heavily when it’s under 2K RPM.
That's a good policy. I feel bad when I load it up at 2500 or so because I was in 5th on a two-lane. Fortunately the gearing combined with how I drive on the highway means I'm rarely below 3k at speed.

quote:

One of the more recent failures was a bit different, guy had just done a bunch of upgrades including a big turbo, but the wastegate actuator broke off its mounting, meaning this dude was pushing 30ish PSI from a larger turbo through his engine every time he stepped on it. Every cylinder liner was cracked and at least one of his pistons was in a few pieces.
Ouch, that sucks so hard when a single relatively cheap component fails and takes expensive parts with it.

I've stuck to a rule so far that as long as this is my primary vehicle I will not do any mods involving the fuel system or turbo. I feel like that's a safe place to be, the odds of me blowing anything up on stock turbo and fuel are fairly close to zero without doing something stupid.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I bought a FoST. It's very very red.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Did I say red? It's very red.

It's a 4 owner 2013 and is cleaner than all the newer and lower mileage single owner cars I looked at. Also completely stock, I'm sure that's unrelated. :v:

24hr new owner impressions
-holy poo poo does it go lock-to-lock quickly at low speed
-keyless entry/start is amazing
-coming from an 8200rpm redline in my XRS will take some getting used to. I haven't bumped the limiter yet, but it feels like I'm shifting early.
-I feel very conspicuous in it and drive way slower then usual

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

angryrobots posted:

-I feel very conspicuous in it and drive way slower then usual

This is the best part about driving a hot focus. Even with an RS, police never look at me twice.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

xsf421 posted:

This is the best part about driving a hot focus. Even with an RS, police never look at me twice.

All the 22 year old dipshits in the Focus FB group with loud rear end exhaust and intakes seem to get hassled by the police all the time, but mine never gets me any ill attention.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What do you all mean by lugging an engine? Going too low in RPM? So keep revs reasonable, above idle more or less? I’ve got a Golf that ate a crank, so I’m curious.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

nitsuga posted:

What do you all mean by lugging an engine? Going too low in RPM? So keep revs reasonable, above idle more or less? I’ve got a Golf that ate a crank, so I’m curious.

Loading the engine up at low RPM. Low RPM is fine if you’re just cruising on the freeway for example, but if you’re going to add load to overtake or go up an incline, you’ve gotta drop to a lower gear first. I’d say you’d want to be significantly above idle, e.g. the FiST idles at ~900RPM when warmed up, but I don’t load it up much unless it’s over 2000RPM. Even then I probably wouldn’t do that in 5th gear. 6th gear is overdriven and strictly for cruising.

I don’t know that I’d expect a crank to go as a result of loading an engine up at low RPM though, unless it’s a bearing failure caused by shocks from detonation/pre-ignition which then set off a chain of events which damaged the crank.. 🤔 It’s more an issue for the pistons AFAIK.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Some gearboxes like the dreaded M32 gearbox will wear out even faster by lugging the 6th gear. The older versions had bad oil supply to the end bearing, so any unnecessary load just makes it worse. At least according to the hive-mind.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ok! More to keep in mind while I hone my stick shift game I guess.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

MunchE posted:

All the 22 year old dipshits in the Focus FB group with loud rear end exhaust and intakes seem to get hassled by the police all the time, but mine never gets me any ill attention.

I'm in my mid-30s but having never had a cool/fast car earlier in life, I kinda like a loud exhaust and intake. However, I also don't want it to be obnoxious all the time and remain lower profile.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

probably my favorite thing about my Veloster N is the valved exhaust

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

probably my favorite thing about my Veloster N is the valved exhaust

i turned off the soundaktor on my golf r and coded the exhaust flaps open so it's quiet on the inside and loud on the outside.

childish? yes
fun? very yes.

it's still a deep throaty jetta sound rather than a higher pitched focus sound though, doesn't attract too much attention

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
FoST is so much easier to drive smoothly shifting at or above 4k. Really keeps out any tendency to want to lug it.

Any lower and I find I have to really commit to shifting super low and accelerating super slowly. That 1st to 2nd grab is strong.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

The lady just bought my mom's old 08 Cooper s. We're now a hot hatch house.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Ferret King posted:

FoST is so much easier to drive smoothly shifting at or above 4k. Really keeps out any tendency to want to lug it.

Any lower and I find I have to really commit to shifting super low and accelerating super slowly. That 1st to 2nd grab is strong.

Same on the FiST (I think they're variants of the same basic transmission design so that makes sense). If I'm driving moderately quick to fast it's smooth as butter, puttering around requires effort to not be jerky.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

wolrah posted:

Same on the FiST (I think they're variants of the same basic transmission design so that makes sense). If I'm driving moderately quick to fast it's smooth as butter, puttering around requires effort to not be jerky.

I think this may have to do with a combination of factors like a heavy flywheel, rev hang programmed into the tune, the clutch assist spring mechanism which means the pedal force required isn’t consistent through the pedal travel, and a fairly big ratio jump between first and second gears.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah. Long story short, make car go vrooooom. It's easier, smoother, and more fun.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Roundup Ready posted:

The lady just bought my mom's old 08 Cooper s. We're now a hot hatch house.

Your mom sounds cool.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Korbin posted:

It's had door latches fail while driving

There was a recall out for this. I had the same thing happen on my poverty spec Focus. Took a right turn and a bunch of assholes started honking at me, looked in my mirror and saw the back door was swinging freely. Had to tie it closed with some random rope on the side of the road to get it to the dealership and they replaced all five latches for free.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
It has been a long time since I visited the forums but drat I missed AI the most.

2018 i30N in Clean Slate. 32k on it from new and one of the first from the factory. Even has a little engraved plaque with my name on it on the glovebox.

For those with long memories and scary memories I took it down the same dirt track I wrecked my R34 on last weekend and it fared much better

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's an interesting color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

tobu posted:

It has been a long time since I visited the forums but drat I missed AI the most.

2018 i30N in Clean Slate. 32k on it from new and one of the first from the factory. Even has a little engraved plaque with my name on it on the glovebox.

For those with long memories and scary memories I took it down the same dirt track I wrecked my R34 on last weekend and it fared much better

I would buy the gently caress out of an i30N. We just get the Veloster here in the states :(