Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
How can a school as enormous as Michigan not figure out how to make the credits work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

elentar posted:

How can a school as enormous as Michigan not figure out how to make the credits work?

No idea. It’s why they don’t pursue many transfers.

They need to figure it out though since transfers are a big part of the game now.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Michigan must have a very non-standard course setup. A lot of little details specific to their classes. I know that transferring credits is even an issue for normal students going between community colleges and the universities here in Texas, and those are supposed to be built in such a way as to transfer easily.

Also, Kuminga supposed to announce Monday the 22nd. Seems to be consensus that it's either G-League or TTU. G-League has the minor complication that Kuminga won't be old enough for their own age requirements and would have to get an exception for that. Rumor is that there's some transcript/eligibility stuff with the NCAA that would complicate him going college.

Interesting discussion around if the G-league select would be worth it for a top athlete. Someone like Kuminga may get a $500k or a bit more contract with the NBA, which is great for an instant cash influx. But is the G-League select going to offer enough exposure so these players are starting from behind when it comes to landing their next set of endorsement deals? They've mentioned they're playing 10-12 exhibition games against other g-league clubs, plus other international or exhibition clubs. The amount of air time these players get will be comparable to the amount of airtime overseas players receive. Compare that with a top 10 team in the NCAA, and it makes a big difference to a player's starting "brand". So if you can wait a year, you stand to make a lot more money on your first endorsement deal than if you take the money right away.

Of course, the rules for name/likeness are changing for 2021-2022 and then the possible end of the one-and-done rule as well, so the player landscape is going to be very different after this year.

However it works, just hope players get their money.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
wrong goddamn thread

elentar fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 19, 2020

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Another B10-B10 transfer falls through, Kobe King won't be at Nebraska this season due to personal reasons. No word on where he's going to end up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1268936357856129025?s=19

Gotta think Cunningham is gonna be out after this, though not sure if it'd be for another school or for the G-League. He's a better prospect than Green and reportedly had a comparable offer on the table that he turned down.

https://twitter.com/CadeCunningham_/status/1275059334356054016?s=19

Staying! I forgot Okie State hired his brother so that makes more sense I guess. I would have tried to get a big g-league deal if I were him but it's cool that he's going to be somewhere that should be easier to watch.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/CadeCunningham_/status/1275059334356054016?s=19

Staying! I forgot Okie State hired his brother so that makes more sense I guess. I would have tried to get a big g-league deal if I were him but it's cool that he's going to be somewhere that should be easier to watch.

In the stuff around Kuminga, there's a bunch of talk that the g-league contracts come with all sorts of waivers and stipulations in the fine print that pay is based on games played and that if they don't play the games, they don't get $$. So if COVID is still bad in the winter/spring (Hope it isn't, but it probably will be), they might get no $$. College seems more likely to play at least some sort of season this year than the NBA.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Just in case gonna fire off one last gently caress Duke in here.

(and gently caress Kansas too)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Hi thread, longtime lurker popping in to say gently caress Duke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sz6RzgWF48

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

Hi thread, longtime lurker popping in to say gently caress Duke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sz6RzgWF48

gently caress duke

i will miss this thread and the sports are suspended experience

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
gently caress Duke
gently caress Tom Izzo

If this is my last post on here - it was a good run.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

northwestern made the ncaa tournament before the forums died

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

(and gently caress Kansas too)

We're going out #1 and not suspended.

Just in case shut it down quickly

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gently caress Duke and the NCAA

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Lmao Arkansas has a 1-and-done caliber player and not only might we not get a season due to COVID but my favorite place to post about CBB on the internet, even if I did it infrequently, may be going, too.

Eff Duke. Unrelated, this is my favorite CBB moment I ever witnessed in person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kpsgBTBBP0

:razorback: woo pig

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
gently caress Duke. I hope Zion is the death knell for K and his squeaky clean image. (but also, pay the players)

Go Cayuts!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Interesting throwback thread, I didn’t know anything about this: https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/1276175958605615105?s=21

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The world had to end to stop UD from winning.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The world had to end to stop SDSU from winning.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this is the best thing to ever happen in college basketball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4gugzAwJfg

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

YOU GOTTA WEAR A MASK, BABY!
https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/1277115078664429568?s=20

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
someone probably should have taught him how to wear one correctly before he did the video but I appreciate the sentiment

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
The next LeBron James (Emoni Bates) committed to Michigan State.

It'll be interesting to see if he actually suits up in the NCAAs as no one really expects him to. MSU was the only team that called him on the first day of open comms with Juniors, since they've had a relationship with him for awhile now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Even the announcement was basically like "i might possibly do this if I absolutely have to but hopefully something else comes up" lmao

I don't think the one and done rule will be gone by 2022 but hopefully it is or the g-league or nbl develop enough to make that a viable alternative, because him playing college,especially for izzo, would be a huge waste

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It would rule if one of the one and done guys would just say gently caress it i'm going in the lottery i'm just going to go to northwestern because it would be funny.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

R.D. Mangles posted:

It would rule if one of the one and done guys would just say gently caress it i'm going in the lottery i'm just going to go to northwestern because it would be funny.

Borderline what happened with Ben Simmons at LSU, considering how lovely LSU was that year.

I feel like that happened with someone else but I don't remember.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

Borderline what happened with Ben Simmons at LSU, considering how lovely LSU was that year.

I feel like that happened with someone else but I don't remember.

If you just mean number one picks on cruddy teams, Fultz was on a pretty lovely Washington team and then the most likely number one pick this year is probably Anthony Edwards, who was on a poo poo Georgia team. I don't think either of those guys were as obviously uninterested in playing college basketball and just going to the highest bidder as Simmons was though (not a criticism of Simmons).

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MourningView posted:

If you just mean number one picks on cruddy teams, Fultz was on a pretty lovely Washington team and then the most likely number one pick this year is probably Anthony Edwards, who was on a poo poo Georgia team. I don't think either of those guys were as obviously uninterested in playing college basketball and just going to the highest bidder as Simmons was though (not a criticism of Simmons).

Please do not forget anthony bennett

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

a neat cape posted:

Please do not forget anthony bennett

That was a little different because I don't think anyone expected him to be the number 1 pick until it actually happened but yeah

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I will never forget that "Uh Oh!" video of his first like thirty shots in summer league

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

That was a little different because I don't think anyone expected him to be the number 1 pick until it actually happened but yeah

That UNLV team was also at least tournament caliber, which cannot be said of the other examples.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm surprised this doesn't happen with small schools. Go to East Bumfuck State, get treated like a king with the coaches deferring to you, get under the table cash and stuff, run over a bunch of scrubs that are worse than elite high school players, then enter the draft after a year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Konstantin posted:

I'm surprised this doesn't happen with small schools. Go to East Bumfuck State, get treated like a king with the coaches deferring to you, get under the table cash and stuff, run over a bunch of scrubs that are worse than elite high school players, then enter the draft after a year.

East Bumfuck State doesn't have the under the table cash. Also it's more fun to win a lot of games on better teams. Goons love to look at sports the way play video games.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Zion would have cruised to a national title if he went to East Bumfuck State Wofford

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's because Fletcher McGee is a better player than RJ Barrett

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Zion would have cruised to a national title if he went to East Bumfuck State Wofford

Wofford should have beaten Kentucky anyway

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like the few times a top pick has gone to a small school they had people caretroll about them not being competitive the whole college season.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MourningView posted:

That's because Fletcher McGee is a better player than RJ Barrett

speaking of Fletcher McGee, he's in The Basketball Tournament which starts on Saturday

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

speaking of Fletcher McGee, he's in The Basketball Tournament which starts on Saturday

LMAO THEY'RE RUNNING THE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT DURING A PANDEMIC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The impeccably named Makur Maker, a five-star center out of Arizona, passes up Kentucky and Memphis among others to sign with Howard: https://hbcugameday.com/2020/07/03/five-star-makur-maker-officially-commits-to-howard-university/

Sad that I’m moving out of metro DC and won’t get to watch him play in the upcoming season that probably won’t happen.